Side Dishes - Phase 2 - whole wheat bisquits

View Full Version : whole wheat bisquits

Craftinmom
02-22-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm copying this directly from SugarAddicts.com. I think it looks good and SBD 'legal'. Any reason why it wouldn't be?
Whole Wheat Biscuits

WHOLE WHEAT BISCUITS
Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour (could also use whole wheat pastry or spelt flour)

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup oil or other shortening (I use canola or butter)

3/4 cup milk (could also use either soy or oatmilk)
Directions:
Sift flour with salt and baking powder (I usually omit this step and just mix them). Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Make a well in center and add milk. Mix with fork until dough leaves sides of the bowl.

Turn onto floured board and knead lightly for 18 counts. Pat out 1-inch thick and cut with biscuit cutter. (I usually just pat them out in my hand).

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Variations:

Shortcake - Add several drops stevia to flour mixture and use only 5 tablespoons shortening.

Sour Milk Biscuits - Substitute sour milk, buttermilk, or plain yogurt for sweet milk. Add 1/2 teaspoon soda and decrease baking powder to 1 teaspoon.

Cheese Biscuits - Add 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese with shortening.

Cinnamon Rolls - Shape mixture into rectangular sheet; flatten to about 1/3-inch; brush with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon, sprinkle with stevia, raisins and shopped nuts; roll like jelly roll and bake in greased pan as for biscuits.

Barb0522
02-23-2006, 08:57 AM
This looks good. Remember that butter is not allowed so make sure you use a South Beach approved substitute. Also make sure you are using milk that is skim or 1%.

Craftinmom
02-23-2006, 03:43 PM
This looks good. Remember that butter is not allowed so make sure you use a South Beach approved substitute. Also make sure you are using milk that is skim or 1%.

Yeah, I figured I'd just stay with the Canola oil even though the author says the sometimes use butter. I would think 1% wouldn't make a difference either

beachgal
02-23-2006, 04:12 PM
In things like biscuits, you really do need to use a hardened fat, I would think, to get the right consistency. I try to avoid butter as much as possible, and when I do use it, I use Land o' Lakes "Light Butter" which is part canola oil. In the GFGCG, butter is "very limited", which means that we can have it once a month. I'd think that is worth it. :)

I did try sifting the WW flour once, but the pieces of bran got stuck in my sifter (and are still there! :mad: ). So don't try sifting...it'll only make you crazy! ;)