Weight Loss Support - Give Yourself a Prize!!!

View Full Version : Give Yourself a Prize!!!

Misti in Seattle
02-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Thought I would share one fun thing I do... when I accomplish a certain goal I reward myself with a prize... NOT food of course! Can be something very small... when I was on a tight budget it was often just something from the dollar store; or even pick a special flower and put it in a little vase. I used to do it a prize for each month I stuck with my plan... generally I don't do it for weight lost because that is not something I can really control.

But this time I decided a prize for each 10 pounds lost... AND I set a walking goal so for every 150,000 steps I do I will get a reward!!

Try it! It's a great motivator!

kayleystar
02-22-2006, 09:51 PM
I told myself in November, right before I started my plan, that if I could stick with it, I'd reward myself by going to a concert that I really really wanted to attend. 40 pounds later, and I've got tickets to the Birthday Massacre on April 1st in Chicago! :)

AquaChick
02-22-2006, 09:56 PM
It is indeed a great motivator! :)

I do this all the time. I typically do it in the form of clothes or shoes. Sometimes make-up though. I love it, it really makes me feel good.

Misti in Seattle
02-23-2006, 01:52 AM
Yay Kayley... good for you! You will really enjoy this concert knowing you earned it!!

AquaChick... ya makeup is always good!!!! I also like neat things for my wall.

kykaree
02-23-2006, 03:59 AM
An Urban Decay eye shadow for each 5lbs lost will be my new reward, now that the weight is coming off so slowly, I should get one by Christmas :D

I did perfume at first for every 20lbs, but the novelty has worn off now ;)

Misti in Seattle
02-23-2006, 08:01 AM
LOL Kykaree, you will make it LONG before Christmas!!

Angel33
02-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Those are some great ideas to stay motivated.
I also saw the other day someone who posted that each time they lost a certain amount of weight they would put a couple of dollars aside. They were ultimatley saving for when they reached their goal weight they would have money to buy some great new outfits.

Misti in Seattle
02-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Those are some great ideas to stay motivated.
I also saw the other day someone who posted that each time they lost a certain amount of weight they would put a couple of dollars aside. They were ultimatley saving for when they reached their goal weight they would have money to buy some great new outfits.

I saw that post too, Angel and am searching for it again and can't find it. I decided to do it for "blow" money on my cruise coming up in May!!! I created an Excel database to keep track LOL

lumifan4ever
02-23-2006, 08:54 AM
I bought myself the newest Kelly Clarkson cd. I figured I deserved a gift for myself after losing 15 pounds. I think I like this idea. every time I hit a goal, I'll buy myself a little something. Like if i hit my walking goal, i'll buy myself a gift, if i lose 10 pounds, i'll buy myself a gift. even if it is just a flower to put at my desk. good idea. thanks for the motivation to keep going. :)

LynneA
02-23-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm buying myself a bottle of Vera Wang perfume when I get to 179 lbs. Expensive yes but under 180 is going to be a huge milestone for me.

When I get to 169 lbs I'll buy something else, not decided what yet!

DeafinlySmart
02-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Before I was truly ready to commit to a weight loss program my dad offered me a $3k reward if I stuck to the program and lost my weight so I could buy clothes. I didn't do it but then he said, when I'm ready the offer still stands. :carrot:

Other ideas might be a trip to the spa for any treatment.

How about a mini trip out of town 3-4 hours for some tourist attraction (this is better for bigger increments of loss)

A trip to your favorite hobby. Ex. Every 5-10lbs go camping, host a game night, scrapbook night, etc.

Every 10lbs a trip to the movies, bowling, girls night out, go kart riding, ice skating, etc

Add to your collection whatever they may be: every 10lbs buy a movie, music CD, stuff for your scrapbooking, new card game, excercise stuff, subscribe to a new magazine, a new book (I rarely buy new books, I just accept whatever is at a garage sale so it is a real treat when I do)whatever...

Put money in a jar for every pound lost and save up for REAL trip like a cruise.

If you want a challenge:

For Every 5 or 10 lbs buy something that cost the same amt as the amt you lost. Example: 20lbs=$20 You MUST buy something you normally wouldn't.

Another challenge: Get a suitcase and every 5lbs go to dollar store and buy 5 things, 10 things, 15 things, etc. It can be some for you and some for others. Put it in a suitcase. Don't touch it until you've reached goal. It can be simple things like a coloring book for your child, a new hairclip for you, a gadget you wanted, a book, some candy (not often), etc. Make sure MOST of it is for you. Really you can do it with any of the above ideas that are things.

lessthansign3
02-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I think when I reach my goal I'm going to convince my mom to buy me a new dress as a reward. I'll have to sell my old pageant gown because it's a size ten and I really hope that I'll be smaller than that by then!

kykaree
02-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I forgot, I rewarded myself for 12 months of consistent gym membership with extremely expensive professionally fitted running shoes, and membership to a sparkly new gym with much better facilities. I've not gone any fewer than 4 days a week for a whole year, amazing for me!!!

aerotigergirl
02-23-2006, 12:28 PM
I like the idea of buying a flower for yourself at each 5 pounds or so. It can sit at my desk and remind me the I would love to have a full bouquet!

jodilynn
02-23-2006, 12:39 PM
OK, this sounds really good, except I think that I might lean towards changing my goals if they get too hard towards the end. for example, my hubby said that when we both get to our goal weight, we'll take a second honeymoon. I've got my goal weight set at 130 (totally in the range for my height and still 15# over my high school weight), but I'm a lot older now, what if I can't lose that last 10 pounds. is it ok to change your goals?

Infrogwetrust
02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
I got a new gym bag when I got to a certain weight. My next goal weight is $100 worth of clothes, but now I am thinking I don't want to buy a bunch of clothes that wont fit in a month (I am being extremely optimistic) so I think I might change my reward...of course the real reward is being in Onederland...which I just hit today!

icmethinner
02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
I have lost 40 pounds - when I lose 10 more I am going to get sclerotherapy on my spider veins.

ArtsyGirl
02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
OK, my goal rewards probably are a bit extreme, but I love the incentive. I base my rewards on if I reach my workout goals for the month instead of a weight based reward.

Goal #1 (reached end of Jan.) a new pair of spinning shoes, and pedals so I can mountain bike with them.

Goal #2 (on the right track for end of Feb.) ordered Turbo Jam (actually already ordered and recieved it--Jumped the gun a bit)

Goal #3 (end of March) I SIGNED UP FOR A TRAINING SESSION TO BECOME A CERTIFIED TURBO KICK INSTRUCTOR

I'm not sure what to do after that. Any ideas???

Misti in Seattle
02-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Those are some great ideas! Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Deafinlysmart I laughed at your suggestion about putting money in a jar for a cruise! You see... I DID that only not for rewards but just saved my change for a long time. THEN I found $300 in a book I had gotten weeks before at a yard sale and had NO idea where I got it or how to return it. So I paid for a cruise to Alaska... booked it 9 months in advance, with my niece who is flying out to join me. The cruise is May 21... coming up! Sooooooo... now I have started rewarding myself with small goals accomplished for money to blow on the cruise... $1 for every 10,000 steps walked plus $1 bonus for reaching 50,000 and $5 bonus for reaching 100,000! ... also $5 for every pound lost, $1 for every half hour of housework, etc. I just started today so have to refine my list!! My weigh-in day is tomorrow and I sure would like to drop that two pounds so I can make my first ten-pound goal!

Dance

Misti in Seattle
02-23-2006, 08:08 PM
I got a new gym bag when I got to a certain weight. My next goal weight is $100 worth of clothes, but now I am thinking I don't want to buy a bunch of clothes that wont fit in a month (I am being extremely optimistic) so I think I might change my reward...of course the real reward is being in Onederland...which I just hit today!

What is Onederland?

BeatlesFan
02-23-2006, 08:11 PM
dance4joy, it sounds like you have an excellent reward systems plan down. Your cruise sounds fantastic.

onederland is hitting 199 or lower.

I bought myself some nice running shoes, not that I'm running though... yet as a reward.

I have a few other ideas in mind for another one.

Misti in Seattle
02-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Onederland sounds great... someday LOL! Congratulations on being there!!!

Running shoes are a great idea for a reward. Why not share some of you other ideas?

Dance

curlylocks
02-23-2006, 08:20 PM
When i get to ONEderland i am gonna reward myself with this really cool tatto i have been wanting on my lower back ya know.. the ones that when ya bend over peek outta the waist of your jeans?

ArtsyGirl
02-23-2006, 08:33 PM
Oops! Forgot my rewards for reaching my goal weight.
Re-pierce my belly button (it was to icky looking to keep in on a big belly)
By one heck of a slutty dress and hit the town!!!

BeatlesFan
02-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Well I'd like to get a butterfly tattoo as a reward, and I know when I hit my goal weight I'm going to get my belly button pierced. :)