Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 02-22-2006, 03:50 PM   #1  

Default Talk to me about the numbers

How much do you monitor your weight? Do you weigh yourself weekly? Daily? More than once a day?

I don't even own a scale and have no desire to obsess over the number that represents my weight. I'd prefer to monitor my weight loss by the way my clothes fit and the way my clothing size changes. Is this a reasonable alternative?

I also joined a gym right around the holidays and was weighed by a trainer then. So I know my starting weight. I plan on seeing my trainer again when I feel I'm ready (hopefully within a month or two) and will be weighed again then and see the progress (if any) I've made.

What's the advantage of weighing yourself regularly (weekly or more often)? Is it supposed to be motivating?

I'm afraid of obsessing over my weight and becoming frustrated or depressed with the constant reminder of that number staring back at me. Does anyone else out there feel this way?
snowflakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #2  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I think the answer to this one varies greatly from person to person. I’m in the habit now of stepping on the scale every morning, but more because it serves as a reminder every morning of what I’m supposed to be doing, I don’t expect to see weight loss over night and I don’t obsess about the number on the scale. I don’t freak out if I find I weigh a pound or two more than the day before, because I know I didn’t “really” gain that much weight in a day and that it’s most likely water weight. It also reminds me to watch my sodium.

If you think your will put too much stock in the scale number I would just stick to weighing in with the trainer and look at your progress in other ways, like inches lost and being able to do more in your work outs.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I'm a analytical freak so I need to have numbers to represent my weight loss. Just telling how loose my clothes are is too objective for me. I don't freak at the number flunctuations either. For me it is also a control issue. It reminds me daily that I'm in control of my choices. It gives me a sense of empowerment. For others it does the exact opposite.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I weigh every morning, although my *official* weigh in is Thursday, and that's when I go change my weight on my tracker, check my BMI, and write the weight on my calandar. I found out if I don't weigh EVERY day, I have the tendency to slip. A few months ago, I didn't weigh for over a week, and I slipped all of the way to a ten pound gain! It just keeps me focused. And I don't let the one or two pounds fluctuations bother me either; you learn quickly they are temporary at best.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #5  
just call me skinny

I will weigh maybe once a week, but I really like to go by how my clothes fit.
My dh, however has been known to weigh up to three times a day.
petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

I weigh once a week. If that. These days, I mostly go by the fit of my rings and clothes.
csoar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

I usually weigh every morning before breakfast. It keeps me on track. (actually, that's not true... I've gained 60 pounds over the last few years )
I recently joined a doctor-supervised program, and I can't believe I no longer have the urge to hop on the scale every day! Now, I'm relying on the assumption that I really am losing weight due to the fact that I'm exercising daily and counting my calories.
I'll be weighed tomorrow for the first time in two weeks, and while I'm anxious to see the numbers go down, I do know that I'm already feeling better about my new eating and exercising habits.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #8  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I try to weigh in only on Sundays. I used to weigh myself daily and it wasn't good for my mental state. Some studies say weighing every day is better, but hey, whatever you feel comfortable with is best
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:12 AM   #9  
Imperfections = beauty.

I weigh in everyday. At first, it was hard because I kept freaking out about the fluctations. Now, I'm just at a point where I take the fluctations in stride. It's all about personal preference.
in_the_end is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 AM   #10  
Feeling the burn

I weigh myself every morning and take a quick peak before bed, just because I like to see how my body weight changes morning/night. I don't obsess about the numbers, although I do grumble at the scale when it's slightly up from the day before lol My BF knows because he'll hear "pffffffff!" as I step off the scale.

I write my weight on a calendar and then I see how my weight goes up and down depending on what time of the month it is. It helps remind me that when the scale is up some days, it doesn't mean it's gonna keep going up.

If you think weighing yourself every day will make you frustrated and want to quit, then don't do it! The important thing is to keep at it, even when the scale doesn't move. There are so many other things that will let you know you're going in the right direction, the scale is just one of them.
Fit_Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:21 AM   #11  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

I weigh every morning when I first get up. It's still early days for me so seeing the ounces disappear keeps me motivated for the coming day. I imagine I'll eventually go to once a week.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #12  
The High-Carb Rebel

Okay, I lied. I got so curious today I had to weigh myself because I felt thinner and I'd lost 3 lbs. Whoo. Those are good times to weigh yourself, too! When you really feel you've lost weight, because most likely you have and you might get a pleasant surprise like I did.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthansign3
I'd lost 3 lbs. Whoo.
Congratulations!! You GO, girl!!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 PM   #14  
The High-Carb Rebel

Thanks It feels good. I don't feel so pudgy anymore. My abs hurt, though. I overdid the crunchies yesterday.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:09 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I weigh myself "officially" every Sunday, although once or twice through the week, I'll hop on just out of curiosity. I think that measuring is a great thing to do! I measure once a month, and jot down the numbers. Although, even if you don't want to weigh all the time, perhaps once a month? Then you wouldn't be obsessing.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote