Weight Loss Support - self sabotage?
02-20-2006, 11:59 PM
I am so annoyed with myself. So i had my plan for a nearly perfect day and all was going well untill about 4 when i got hungry... so i figured id have my dinner then and later add a snack of popcorn (and add about 200 cals but it would still put me at around 1600 so... i figured that was okay). but then i made 2 batches on popcorn, had an apple, and 2 extra bowls of cereal. big ones.... :mad:
wahhh:?: why cant i just have one day when i stick to my plan?!?
i dont know if im hungry, bored etc. i do know that the 3rd day of being on track is always easier because im no longer expecting to eat as much and i feel like my tummy shrinks.
i have stayed the same since joining! im so frusterated with myself. all my good intentions for 80% of the day are RUINED by the other 20%.
ANy advice??? please help.
02-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Don't know if I can offer anything other than to let you know you're not alone. I've been doing fairly well and then today I gorged on 4 pieces of this strawberry cream cheese dessert i made. 4!!! Not one, not even 2, but 4!! So please don't feel like there's something wrong with you. We all deal with this self-sabotage.
02-21-2006, 02:46 AM
I know that when I have felt like eating too much I get into the habit of writing down EVERY mouthful of food I have. If that isn't enough, then I make sure that I am doing it to SHOW to someone. I have a dietician friend who asks me to journal my food intake now and then. I am actually VERY good with what I eat - but remember I have been doing this for 2 years now, so it is basically my total lifestyle now - but I know that if I had problems with binging now and then, having to report it all to her would soon stop me I think. I am sure that I wouldn't cheat and not write down stuff, so I would just have to put the snacks back in the cupboard and be happy that at least I could write a healthy food intake for the day.
If you don't have a friend you could show your food journal too, perhaps you could set up a thread on here and you could ask some of us to read it to try and keep you on track. I have NO idea if it would work, but it may be worth a try. I would be more than willing to help you out with this.
Good luck. I'm sure it will get better over time.
02-21-2006, 02:50 AM
I agree with ZedAus on showing someone your journal, for sure a great idea that has worked well for me also. I see a dietician once a month, but you could just show a friend or someone on this board or whoever. The trick is, you gotta be totally honest! Sometimes it's a lot easier to be accountable to someone else than yourself. You can do this! :)
02-21-2006, 05:27 AM
Have you heard the 80/20 rule?? I can't remember if it's BFL (with the free day) or John Hussman or some other sensible diet. If you are perfectly on plan for 80% of the time, it's ok to mess up the other 20%. It's consistency that produces results. Oh I remember, I read it in Zest about the GI diet.
Anywho, you did ok, if wasn't THAT bad. But if you find you're eating out of boredom on an evening, then try taking an exercise class, or getting some other hobby or try knitting instead. Also if you really were truly hungry at the time, maybe you need to look at what you're eating. Are you getting enough? Are you getting enough protein to keep you satisfied, are you eating the right kinds of carbohydrates and not 100kcal snack packs with empty calories that "bonk" your blood sugar?
Why not post your typical day here and we can have a look ;)
02-21-2006, 11:31 AM
and i thought you'd never ask :) haha. well i do use fit day (but as you can see from last night got annoyed with myself and didn't write in the additionals.) i will TRY to be better about that. I am a student so i am sitting on my but doing hw a lot and then think... gee maybe i need a snack- for a break.
1.5 c ceral - maple pecan (210 cal per cup, 4.5 g fat, 4 g prot.... it has pecans, granola, and corn flakes) i guesstimated 400 for about a cup and a half plus 1% milk.
black tea- 0
snack- apple and mini tangerine 100 cal
lunch- sprouted wheat sand which with chicken (prefab frozen chicken) (250, chicken is about 70, bread 90 each)
dinner- lean pork chop (about 5 oz) with roasted fennel, a bit of gravey (that i made, its not too bad) and cabbage salad. (600)
snack- if still hungry sliced up cucumber with vinegar (20)
what do you all think? thanks in advance!!!
02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Have you tried guzzling down a massive glass of water, before you start snacking, it helps me so much, if i feel i am bored or a little pekish, i go and get a massive glass of water before i grab anything else, that way my tummy is full of water, and yea i know it doesnt last long, the key is too keep guzzling water, it really got me out of the habbit of night time snacking, as my night times snacks use to last ALL night long!!lol:)
02-21-2006, 02:38 PM
I was going through the same thing a few weeks ago. I would start off fine and then get worse as the day goes on. I found that there was no reason for it except that your brain is very used to having what it wants when it wants it. It makes it easy for you to justify. You have to retrain your brain (hey I'm a poet). I am back on the wagon and everytime I think of cheating I think of what I am losing. Also, sometimes it helps to plan your whole day out, so that you know what you are going to be eating, and there is no guessing. When you run out of food, you run out. You will not starve. Also, lots of little snacks are best for me. I eat fruit, yogurt, salty , sweet, all day long. And at night, I always leave enough points for dessert. Other than that, you just have to make the decision that things are going to change...and once that decision is truely made, you will see that it is a lot easier than it used to be.
02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
I am an afternoon snacker as opposed to an evening snacker. I can trace my snacky behavior to being left home alone after school every day as a kid - nothing to do but watch TV and eat. Between 2-6 I have to fight EVERY day to not mindlessly graze.
What I do:
* Plan healthy snacks in the afternoon. I try to eat something healthy every 2 hours since I know I would just eat something bad for me if I didn't have a good choice. Every Sunday, I bag up vegetables for snacks for the work days (usually baby carrots, sugar snap peas, red pepper strips and grape tomatoes). I also bring a piece of fruit and sometimes low fat cottage cheese or low fat string cheese. I have an emergency bag of dried fruit in my desk at all times - Trader Joe's granny smith apple rings, they are so sweet and chewy, they do a good job making me happy.
* I allow myself my afternoon coffee/treat. I used to drink huge venti full fat lattes twice a day, every day. I've cut down to a tall non fat sugar free latte, but I still love it. It's a decent source of protein and only 110 calories. I also have a cookie/biscotti with my latte. I look forward to it :)
* I have the "wall of tea" in my office - a huge selection of tea/herbal teas. In the afternoon, I have a cup of tea in my hand at all times, so I am always bringing my hand to my mouth (which I think satisfies a physical need to be eating, maybe it doesn't and it's all in my head, but it works for me!).
* I schedule a lot of meetings in the afternoon. Busy busy busy takes my mind off snacking.
Other things - brushing teeth (ew, minty mouth + food = gross), eating something sour to defuse sweet cravings.
02-21-2006, 05:39 PM
When I was in college, I know exactly how easy is it is to pick up and do something else. If you're studying and you want to stop, it's not easy to make excuses to go play a game or something but it is easy to say "I'll just have this little snack." Maybe try getting up and exercising? Do you have any kind of weights or machine you can use? Even marching in place would give you the break you need without eating. Just thoughts.