General Diet Plans and Questions - Doin' it the old fashioned way!

View Full Version : Doin' it the old fashioned way!

aphil
07-21-2001, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone!
I am pretty new to this sight, but not to diet and nutrition. I have always had to watch my weight, even as an active high school student, I was always a few pounds heavier than the most popular girls. I have tried low carb, no carb, chitosol/zenical, metabolife, chromium picolinate, liquid fast diets, juice fasts, anything promising a quick fix-LADIES,THEY DON'T WORK!!!!!!!
The most important thing we need to remember is that the fat did not just appear on our bodies in a few weeks, so it is insane to beleive that we can get it off that quickly! :(
Like most fatties, I have to keep excersizing to keep my metabolism stimulated, for dieting alone and staying sedentary causes my body to conserve energy and hang on to the fat! Even if you can lose weight with diet alone, you will eventually just be a "skinny fat", or someone who is small in size, but with jiggly behind and arms, and lack of muscle tone! I cannot stress the importance of exercise! Starting out with 30 min. of aerobic exercise everyday is a great start!
Also, totally cutting out certain foods is asking for failure! I eat a moderate diet of about 1500 calories a day-I try to eat a variety with lots of veggies and fruit, but every week I include a couple treats like a few Hershey kisses or 2 slices of veggie pizza on Friday nights! I f you totally cut out something you love you will become obsessed with things you cannot have!
Living this way has kept me at a decent weight all the time, as well as helping me lose 50 lbs. of baby weight from my first child, Jasmine, and is now helping me lose the weight I gained from my new baby boy, Raiden! ( I have lost 5 so far!):smug:
Also, last but not least, like yourself thin or fat! Do not deny yourself pretty things or a new blouse because you are not at your goal. I use a reward system to motivate myself: for each 3 lbs. I lose, I give myself a small reward like a new nail polish, a couple tanning bed visits, a haircut, ect. This really helps you to feel good about yourself while you are going down!
I hope what I have had to say motivates someone out there!
Love,
Aphil

jennym1173
07-21-2001, 08:27 PM
Dear Aphil,

What a great post! I related to so many things you said and I, too, just have taken the same approach as you - good old calorie counting and exercise. Don't get me wrong, I think different plans work, like low-carbing, etc. but I think in order for a plan to be successful for you, you have to be able to stay on it for a considerable length of time and I just couldn't do that with low-carbing.

Please post here often and tell how you're doing! \

:) Jennifer
228/226/150

DeanaM
07-23-2001, 12:16 PM
Hi Aphil!

I agree with you 100% The only time I have ever lost a decent amount of weight has been with counting calories and exercising. Actually, even making some changes like not drinking anything with calories and buying the lower calorie/fat version of whatever groceries I'm getting coupled with exercise even works for me, though slower than actually counting.

I've tried low carb, slimfast, metabolife (ack, never again!), the cabbage soup thing..you name it. Low carb makes SO much sense to me, I wish I could do it. Bottom line is though, I can't. I am just like you. Tell me I can't have it, and it's all I think about. Heck, I couldn't do a high CARB diet. I'd obsess over steak! I have a lot more success eating whatever I want but knowing I have a 1400 calorie limit. It's been two weeks since I've had fast food because I just haven't wanted it enough to waste an entire day's calories on it.

Last summer I dropped around 25 lbs using dietwatch and tae bo. Of course, I started living "the good life" again and gained it all back. I've been back on the wagon for three weeks now and have lost 7 lbs. The first two weeks had a bunch of special occassions and I used those for excuses to eat crappy. Even so, I managed a 1 and a 1.5 lb loss because of exercise and water. This last week though, I pulled it all together and dropped 4.5 lbs! I even had a couple of not so good days there and my calorie average was around 1700 (taking an average from all 7 days).

As my biology teacher said last semester: There is only one scientifically proven way to loose weight. take in less than you burn up. Period. He's planning his one page award winning, millionaire making diet book any day now <g> Problem is, it won't sell well because there's no gimmick and you won't loose 10 lbs in a week.

Deana
29 years old/5'7 tall
189/182/139 Started 6-30-01

aphil
07-23-2001, 01:28 PM
Hello everyone!
DeanaM-great job! 7 lbs. in 3 weeks! It is so good to hear from you! You said you haven't had fast food in a while, but if you like it, here are a few suggestions that are lower in calories:KFC Honey BBQ sandwich at 310 calories,6 fat grams, and 2 fiber grams;1 slice Pizza Hut hand tossed veggie lover's pizza at 220 calories,8 fat grams, and 2 fiber grams;Burger King chicken tender sandwich w/o mayo at 290 calories,10 fat grams, and1 fiber grams; and my favorite, Taco Bell's chicken Soft Taco at 190 calories,7 fat grams, and 2 fiber grams!Enjoy!
If you like to cook, I have also started a thread in the food category of some lightened up recipes, hope you like them!
Keep in touch and post often, I love to hear how everyone is doing! And if you have any topics you would like to discuss, type away!
Good Luck to all!
Aphil
195/190/140

DeanaM
07-23-2001, 03:19 PM
Hey, we have pretty close to exactly the same goal weight! Someone on another thread mentioned she changed her goal weight to 139 because it just sounded better than 140, and I thought that was pretty nifty and I did the same :D

I didn't realize some of those chicken sandwiches were so doable calorie wise! I might end up trying that. Problem is, when I want fast food, I want a bacon cheeseburger with mayonaise!

At least I can eat tuna sandwiches again since I discovered how much I like kraft fat free mayo :)

I bartend at night, and we have a happy hour buffet. Ack. That's my worst downfall. I've found that if I modify just a little (one piece of bread instead of two, bring my own mayo, bring a sandwich if there's just no way) I do a lot better. My first week of this, I pretty much blew it every night but I am now getting a grip on it.

My saving grace items: frozen juice bars and fudgesicles (35 and 70 calories respectively) and the vegetable only soup I make in huge batches and freeze in individual portions. The soup is easy. Put together all the vegies you like (except potatoes..I do use a little bit of corn, but not much) in some water and add beef bullion. Presto..works out to around 45 calories for a cup and is packed with vitamins.

Gotta run, but just wanted to pop in and say hello!

Deana

devoted
07-23-2001, 03:38 PM
Hello everyone,

Aphil, you are exactly right on! This is the only way to lose the weight and keep it off. All of those other quickie diets work for about as long as anyone can stand them and then the weight comes right back on. Most of them are not realistic at all. I still don't understand why knowing this, people continue to try and do it the "easy" way. In the long run, it never works.

Over the last year and a half, I've lost 60 pounds eating sensibly, counting calories, and exercising. It's been a long, hard, haul, but I'll tell you right now... It's NEVER coming back! I've worked too hard! :lol:

I have also discussed the no-carb diet with my doctor and he gave me the bottom line. He said that the complex carbohydrates, and the veggies and fruits are what will protect us from disease... cancer, heart disease, etc. So, all of these no-carbers may be losing weight, but they're not doing themselves any favors in the long run!

I follow a diet high in fiber and low in fat. I keep my calories under 1200 (because I'm only 5' 1") and I exercise everyday! And I'm 60 pounds lighter because of it!

Good luck to all of you!
Lisa ;)

aphil
07-23-2001, 04:49 PM
Hi Chickies!
Devoted/Lisa-way to go on the 60 lb. loss! I bet you just feel wonderful! It was so good to hear from you! Your doctor is absolutely right! It is important to have carbohydrates-I see no reason at all to limit any fruits or vegatables, even higher carb ones like bananas! All fruits and veggies have natural disease preventers, and help the skin look nice! Also grains are important for fiber! When people have carb addictions and go on a low carb diet to lose their cravings and get thinner, part of the problem is not the carb grams, but the kind of carbs they are eating! Extremely overprocessed ones like kiddy cereals and donuts are going to give you a sugar rush and make you hungrier an hour later! If they ate cereals like bran flakes, Grape-Nuts, and whole wheat breads they wouldn't have that problem as much! Refined sugar does the same thing! So by cutting out most carbs, they are pulling out all of their teeth because of one cavity! Your post was wonderful, but the only thing I was concerned with was your calorie intake. You said you stay under 1200 calories-how much under? If you are active and exercising, you should be eating at least that much. Try keeping them between 1200-1300 for a while and see how that feels to you, and be sure to be taking a multi-vitamin daily that has calcium and iron.
Deana, it was great to hear you again,too! I , too am a lover of the diet fudgsicles! Try the Dairy Queen sugar free fat free bars if you have one near you. THey have fudge, orange creamsicle, and rasberry creamsicle-only 60 calories! And I also have 2 threads in the food section -one of recipes, and the other of my taste testing of diet products, which I am adding to regularly!;)
Well, I will post again soon!
Aphil (Amy)
ps-I have attached a pic of my new son-well worth the weight gained!

aphil
07-23-2001, 04:52 PM
It wouldn't let me attach the picture-too big! I'll find a smaller one later!
Aphil

saggy
07-23-2001, 05:02 PM
Aphil---i was just wondering how much exercise you do each day?

Saggy

DeanaM
07-23-2001, 05:27 PM
Wellllll..I have to disagree a bit on the low carb thing. Many doctors believe it's the food pyramid or nothing, but there are more and more all the time that are seeing that the low carb way of doing things can actually be quite helpful. I've read Atkins and Eades cover to cover, and Eades especially has some very valid medical info to back up their claims. I also personally know people who CAN follow that way of eating, and have had amazing changes for the better in their health, validated by their bloodwork and physical syptoms.

Thing is, a lot of people think low carb is NO carb, and that's not entirely true either. Further along in the plan, some complex carbs are allowed, and the Eades plan allows you to deduct fiber grams from total carbs.

I *have* noticed though that many low carbers I know are ALSO watching their portions and calories. Back again to intake vs output. I just think there are some really valid health things going on with low carb.

Of course, the bottom line is what works for you. Low carb does not work for me because I simply cannot stick with it for any amount of time. For me, it's gotta be calorie counting. WW points are really exactly the same thing, just a different way of keeping track.

Aphil, I just buy the regular store brand fudgesicles. $1.75 a dozen at Walmart and they're 70 calories. Most of the frozen juice pop things are only 35!

I agree with you about cutting calories too low. Going to low can slow your metabolism, then heaven help you if you fall off the wagon. The weight will come back with company. 1500 calories is my high end, and I try to not go below 1300. I'm fairly active, exercising at least 30 minutes to an hour a day as well. I generally find that if I only eat 1300 I am *starving*.

The heavier you are, the more calories you need as well.

Heck, last week my average calories over 7 days was 1700 (thanks to falling prey to the Chinese buffet) and I still lost 4.5 this week. Exercise will make ya or break ya ;)

Deana

devoted
07-23-2001, 05:58 PM
Hey Aphil,

No, let me clarify... I eat between 1100-1200 calories everyday. As I said, I'm short and I eat little meals all day long so I'm never hungry. Now that I'm down near my goal weight (I weigh 124), I find that I only lose 1 pound a MONTH. I started out losing 2 pounds a week faithfully... never any more than that. So, I'm doing what's right for my body. I know what you mean though... there is this girl at work who is on this new crash diet and I'd say barely eats 500 calories a day! She's also working out like a fiend. I told her that it won't last, but she's determined, so what can you do...

I agree with you on the sugar stuff. I eat a bowl of Kashi cereal or Raisin Bran with a slice of Bran toast in the mornings. I usually have a mid-morning snack like pretzel's or something and then for lunch I have whole wheat pasta and veggies or something similar. I have some type of fruit in the afternoon or yogurt and then usually a salad for dinner. Portion control is the key for me. Of course, some days I want more... some less. I just follow my body's signs. I also take a multi-vitamin everyday and keep up with my calcium. The main thing I did was cut out the fast food. I used to eat way too much of it!

One thing I do allow myself is a cheat day on Saturdays. Whatever I want... in moderation ofcourse! It keeps me on track the rest of the week and gives me something to look forward to.

Keep trying with the picture of your new baby. I'd love to see him!

Talk to ya later!
Lisa ;)

aphil
07-23-2001, 08:19 PM
Hi everyone!
Lisa, I am glad to hear from you again! I am not glad to hear about your friend's diet, however. Does she have a computer? I f she does, have her check out the sight.
You said you were starting to lose very slowly now,it's good that your goal weight is close to this, because your body is trying to let you know it can't get much smaller.Congrats on choosing a goal weight that your body doesn't feel is unrealistic!
Deana, thanks for the info on the fudge bars!mmmmmm
Saggy, my exercise plan is 6 days a week-Sundays off. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I do a full body toning plan. I do shoulders,chest,back,bicep,and tricep weighted routines put together by my stepfather-ex-bodybuilder-and a lower body toning workout that includes calf raises and lots of squats for the booty!;) On Tues.,Wed.,and Thurs. I do 30 min. of aerobic activity, usually walking or stationary bike, and abdominals. If you are unfamiliar with toning exercise, it is important to leave a rest day inbetween workouts for the muscles to heal. Abdominals are the only part that can be worked every day withoutmuscle damage. Aerobic activity can be done everyday.
Well, my son is fussing-talk at ya later!
Aphil:spin:

sadiegirl
07-23-2001, 11:29 PM
aphill;I lost 30lbs. using the method in this post. I eat a balanced diet of about 1600 calories a day. I excercise and drink plenty of water. As mentioned here those FAD diets do not work. Great post!!! :wave:

freels
07-24-2001, 06:30 PM
has anyone heard of the false fat diet? Can notf ind the entire book. The diet sounds pretty normal, but I can not find out if you can have diet caf free soda Anyone know?

jilles
07-26-2001, 05:04 PM
Hi all! :wave:

I have been lurking and have done some posting on Low carb support. I know I need to lose weight but just can't commit to anything yet. I have tryed every diet in the book and some more then once. I did the Atkins for about a day and 1/2 and thought I would go out of my ever loving mind!! It was making me crazy!!
But.... lately here I am lurking again at that sight. I know I can't stick to that!!

Then.......my dear sister :love: told me to forget all those diets!! She challenged me to a real easy plan. For one month, just start drinking lots of water and walk once a day. THAT'S IT. She bet that I would see some change it just that. So tomorrow it has been one week. I walked 5 of the 6 days so far. :)

I think I will start soon to try to add to this plan. (something little) I eat fast food everyday at noon. Maybe I can cut this down to 2 times a week and brown bag it the rest of the week. I don't know but my wheels just keep on turning.

It seems the more I drewl on food and what I can or can not have the more I eat!! The tighter my cloths get, the more I think about dieting and then the more I eat. Am I nuts or what? :?:

So (before I put you all to sleep), I will stick to my sister's advice, take baby steps and do the water and walking for now.

207/207/145

Thanks for listening,

Jill

devoted
07-26-2001, 05:17 PM
Hey Jill,

If you cut out the fast food and brought yourself lunch everyday, you'd see a huge difference! I used to be a fast-food-aholic! I ate it everyday for lunch and I got up to 188 pounds because of it! Now, more than 60 pounds lighter, I bring my lunch everyday. I also notice that when I do eat fast food, I feel very sluggish and my stomach gets upset from all of the fat and grease. Keep up the walking and the water! That will help you too!

Good Luck!
Lisa ;)

sadiegirl
07-26-2001, 09:00 PM
Welcome Jill. As devoted said; you will notice a real big difference if you could brown bag everyday.Devoted; I also feel blah from fast foods if I make a habit of eating fast foods everyday.

jilles
07-27-2001, 11:26 AM
Thanks for your welcomes. I really need to start cooking at home!! I really don't care for cooking and that leads to alot of fast food. Well for starters, here is a little about me. I'm married, 42 with 3 children. (ages 20, 16 and 6). A dog, cat, hamster and guinea pig. As I said before, cooking is not one of my stronge points. I love to quilt, do cross-stitch, etc.

If I would plan out my supper and have it ready to cook then that would be easy. I guess my real problem is I'm not a planner. I do things as they come up. It could be 6:30 and still not have thought about supper. Bad mom!!

This will take some time and thinking to get me on the right planning track!!!

Any good suggestions :?:

I will not be around this weekend because we are off camping. Will check back on Monday. Have a great weekend everyone.

Bye for now, Jill :wave:

DeanaM
07-27-2001, 08:21 PM
Hi Jilles!

If anyone understands what it's like to not have the time or energy to cook, I do. I am a single mom, work full time and go to school full time :)

Soup and sandwiches are a staple. I make big batches of salad at once, and also when you have time to cook on the grill, make a bunch of extra chicken breasts and freeze them in individual sandwich bags. Poof, grilled chicken salad. Also, if you mix the hidden valley ranch dry mix with a tub of fat free sour cream, you get a salad dressing that is only 25 calories for two tablespoons and tastes way better than the bottled stuff. I make a vegetable soup (no meat) with beef bullion as a base and freeze it in individual portions too.

Along with fast food, try cutting out any drinks with calories in them too. You would be *amazed* at the amount of calories a person can put away from liquids!

I think your approach is a great one because you are actually changing the habits that made you overweight in the first place! I have promised myself that even if I fall off of my diet I am going to keep up with the exercise and not drink anything but water and diet soda. Oh..and my calcium enriched V-8 juice just because it's so packed with things that are good for you :)

I diet the same way you do. I lurked forever after falling off of low carb, just *knowing* I should get back on it because it makes so much sense to me and I had good results even for the short time I was with it. Bottom line is though, you have to do something you can stick with. Not everyone looses the same way or approaches dieting the same way. For me, the only thing that works is counting calories. That way, NOTHING is completely off limits. When I get to 1400 though, I have to stop. I find myself treating it like a money budget. I don't want to spend most of my day's calories on one fast food meal. If you decide you want to go further with this at some point, dietwatch.com is a great way to keep track, and it's free.

But anyway, BIG congrats to you for making such positive changes in your life! You WILL see a difference!

Deana

devoted
07-27-2001, 08:31 PM
Hey Jill,

Deana is right about cutting the high calorie soft drinks. My roommate absolutely LOVES Pepsi and just by cutting down to 2 a day, she lost 10 pounds! I couldn't believe it! Here I am eating right, exercising, drinking only water and SHE loses 10 pounds cutting out her Pepsi! SO unfair :lol:

If you give yourself a calorie limit, which I do, then Deana is right when she says that you won't want to use up all your calories on one greasy meal. Think of all the food you can eat for those calories! That's how I do it. Like I said, I used to be a fast food fanatic and it's still hard sometimes. But for the most part, I'm okay. It just takes a little time to get used to it.

Anyway, I'm off for the weekend!
Talk to ya later!
Lisa

aphil
07-28-2001, 03:41 PM
Hi everyone!
I have been reading all the replies to my thread, but with the kids I have been SO busy! I am 25, married, and have a 2 1/2 year old daughter, and a 3 1/2 month old son. I was a beautician before the kids came, and I also am a licensed wedding coordinator. I do this part time right now, and when we get a bigger place I will open up a full-time shop. When I got married, I planned a full scale medeival themed wedding and from then on, I was hooked!
Jilles, I ,too, love crafts-and do a lot of sewing and things like that! My friends tease me and say I can sew and chrochet better than any old lady!:)
Sadie-congrats on losing 30 lbs! Way to go!
Freels-I got your question-but I am unfamiliar with the false fat diet.
Deana-you are totally right about only drinking calorie free things! That is one of the first things I tell people-it is such a painless way to cut calories!
Jill-by starting to walk everyday you are moving toward making such a positive change in your life and for your health! If you need some more personal support, you can e-mail me at aphil@angelfire.com-I will help you with a plan that works for you that includes your faves-I have recipes and substitutions for about everything fattening I like! I hope to hear from you soon! No, I don't think you are nuts-we all have an absession with food, or we wouldn't be here. Do not feel bad about it-we all feel what you are going through.
Well, I have to go for now, I will post again soon.
Lots of Love,
Amy-Aphil

Carmine
07-29-2001, 01:10 PM
I too always come back to counting calories. Its the only thing that I can stay on for any length of time. I tried Atkins once for 36 hours, I gained 1 lb and felt yucky. I also tried CAD for 8 hours, had a real problem with eating cauliflower at breakfast (was the only acceptible veggie I had in the house at the time).
I too wish I could stay on a low carb diet for a while just to see some results, but alas I can't do it. I too am one that if denied something that is what I want.

I weigh 238 lbs right now and I am trying to eat about 1800 calories a day; but that can vary from 1600 up to 2200. I have lost on 2000 calories a day with exercise. It has to be liveable for me or I won't do it. I try to eat lower fat and cut down on the sugar. Mostly I try to get as much good tasting food for the amount of calories I alot myself.

Anyhooooo, I haven't posted to this site for over a year. Its good to be back. I hope to post more often. Good luck everybody. I love this counting calorie thread.

Take care,
Carmine
(I am female by the way LOL)

sadiegirl
07-29-2001, 03:19 PM
Welcome back Carmine. Good luck anfd post often!!

DeanaM
07-29-2001, 09:56 PM
Welcome home Carmine :) I really believe getting involved with these boards keeps your motivation up and helps you stick with it. I think your calorie levels are very smart. It's a good idea (or at least by my way of thinking) to eat the highest calories you can loose on. That way, you not only keep from slowing your metabolism, you have some room to move downward as you get closer to your goal. I'm averaging between 1800 and 1900 over a week. I try to stay within 1400 most days, but usually have a day or two during the week that I go around 2000. Some days I *really* blow it ;) I honestly believe exercise is the only real way I'm having such success.

Speaking of which, I just gotta let you all know that I made my first mini goal with two weeks to spare! I started out 4 weeks ago at 189 and wanted to be 179 by the time we go on vacation on August 12. As of this morning, thanks to a 3 lb loss, I'm at my goal! That makes ten lbs in 4 weeks. I'm feeling pretty darned good today :) Next goal: 169 by Sept 6th..my 30th birthday.

Deana

aphil
07-30-2001, 04:13 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just a quick response to DeanaM-Congratulations, girl! ten pounds in 4 weeks is absolutely wonderful! You must feel so good!:)
I am so glad we have a group here that is going about things the sensible way-I was just reading a thread about a girl wanting suggestions on losing 20 pounds in a month for a wedding!
Well, I am still on plan-trying to cut out most refined and processed foods like donuts and twinkies-even lower fat varieties!
I am still at 190-since losing the first five, I seem to be hitting an early plateau. I am not bumed, however, from the weight training I am doing, I am starting to notice traces of definition showing in my shoulders and back. I am working really hard 3 days a week on my upper body strength training-I am matron of honor in a wedding next year, and I am wearing a sexy dark red slinky dressthat is sleeveless!:devil:
Hopefully I will be at my goal by then!
Well, I'll see you all soon-Happy early birthday Deana!!!!
Aphil

jennym1173
07-30-2001, 04:28 PM
Aphil posted:

I am so glad we have a group here that is going about things the sensible way-I was just reading a thread about a girl wanting suggestions on losing 20 pounds in a month for a wedding!

Hi Aphil. That girl was me, Jennifer, and as it turns out, I did not need to resort to drastic measures to lose weight before the wedding. I was in a temporary panic when I created that original post and not too long after that, I calmed down and got my thinking straight again. What worked for me? An industrial-strength girdle to hold in my tummy and the dress fit much, much better (my tummy was my trouble area).

Since then, I have embarked on a sensible eating plan that combines a moderate reduction in calories and regular exercise.

:) Jennifer

devoted
07-30-2001, 05:15 PM
Hey Everyone,

Aphil, you are going to look FABULOUS for that wedding! Keep up the great work! I think your "plateau" is really the result of adding muscles! Before long the fat will be melting away.

Jennifer, I read your "desperate" post, too, and was pretty concerned about you! Glad to hear that you gave up on that idea! It would be disasterous to try and lose all of that weight in such a short amount of time. I hope you have fun at the wedding and I wish you all the luck in the world on your new eating plan.

It's just another Monday for me. I had pizza on Saturday for my cheat meal and it was soooooooo yummy! I'd been craving it for a week.

I have step class at the gym tonight. I just started so the routines are very challenging but I love it! For some reason I don't sweat enough during regular aerobics... not like I do when I do a step class or workout on the treadmill. I don't really understand why that is. Anybody have a theory on that??

Well, talk to you all later!
Lisa
;)

aphil
07-30-2001, 05:57 PM
Hi Again,
Jennifer-I am so glad you didn't go to some of the drastic measures that some posted on that site! I, too used the girdle trick for a small waisted look at my own wedding! I had a medeival themed wedding, complete with a tiara and a dress that had to be laced up! I used a corset and it worked wonderfully!
Beleive me, I know what you meant by going into a panic when something doesn't fit right! Welcome, and let us know how you are all doing with your eating plan.
Lisa, thanks for the vote of confidence! I, too think the added muscle is keeping my weight at the same level as it builds.
You were saying that you didn't get as sweaty in a regular aerobics class as you do in step class-there IS actually a reason for this. In the early 80's aerobics really became the rage, but it was found that it was causing some injuries due to the kicking and jumping that was going on-too much jarring of the knees,ankles, ect. Low impact aerobics was introduced, with less jumping and kicking, and more grapevine and cha-cha type movements. Most classes are now low impact, and a step class has a lot of little jumps on the step that raises your heart rate a little more than reg. low impact aerobics. This is the same reason that I can speedwalk the same mph as someone doing a slow jog, but I don't get as out of breath.
Well, Have a good day everyone!
Aphil:wave:

sadiegirl
07-30-2001, 06:56 PM
My weigh-in is tonight. So far so good.
I love this way of eating and never feel hungry. There is a lot of flexibility.

aphil
07-30-2001, 10:08 PM
Hi,
Sadiegirl,
Let me know how you did with your weigh-in today! I'm glad you are enjoying the flexibility of this type of diet.
I also wanted to share a couple of favorite treats in case there are a few you haven't tried. I absolutely love to make a diet float out of 1/2 cup low fat ice cream and a can of diet root beer. Altogether it is only about 120 calories, and it is a great nightime snack. I also love to take a small size can of pineapple in juice and cut up a small bananain it. The juice from the pineapple lends a nice flavor to the banana, and it is a nice breakfast.
I also love grilled cheese, so I use 2 slices of Wonder Light Wheat bread, 1 slice of American Cheese, and instead of buttering the bread before browning, I spray it with butter flavor Pam. Altogether it is 140 calories. My daughter eats them and has never had them the regular way.
Some ideas for some quick meals are to get a bag of stir fry vegetables and saute them in a little Pam or I Can't Beleive It's Not Butter spray with a small amount of frozen shrimp or cooked chicken pieces. You can add a touch of oriental style sauce if you like.
I also like to blend a banana, 1 cup skim or 1%milk, and a packet of Carnation sugar free Instant Breakfast and a couple ice cubes for a breakfast smoothie.
Well, I will post soon-hopefully soon I will break through this plateau!
Aphil
195/190/140

sadiegirl
07-31-2001, 08:33 AM
Thanks aphill! I lost 2 lbs. in this weeks weigh-in. Float sonds really good and not too many calories.

246/213.5/165

aphil
08-06-2001, 05:42 PM
Hello everyone,
I haven't heard from anyone in a couple of days-I am curious to hear how everyone is doing!
I am doing okay-I am holding steady at the same weight, but I am not discouraged. I am doing a lot of weight training, and I am really starting to feel the muscles in my arms and shoulders.
There is a thread under food that is called "looking for a recipe"-if any of you like pineapple, check it out. There is a recipe for a pineapple angel food cake that is really good-I made it in a bundt pan instead of a rectangle one and it turned out great, but you may have to go by checking rather than the time they have listed for baking;at 30 minutes it was still not done enough.
I have a lot more energy since I have upped my exercise regime. I feel really good, and the fact that my son has started sleeping from 10:30 pm to 5:30 am the past week has REALLY helped with that!;)
Deana- I tried your vegetable soup-I have been making it in single servings-a little boullion and water to a 1/2 cup of frozen veggies. It has turned out really good.
I have also found Kraft Light Done Right salad dressings are really good-a lot better than the fat free ones. Try them out-the very small amount of fat makes a major difference in the taste!
Hope to hear from you all soon!
Love, Aphil

sadiegirl
08-07-2001, 08:25 AM
I lost 1.5lbs. at last nights weigh-in.
I use JoAnna Lunds Healthy Exchange recipes a lot and have found a lot of success with the variety.

devoted
08-07-2001, 12:02 PM
Hi Everyone!

Keep it up Aphil! The pounds will start dropping again. I'm also doing strength training and I went through a period of no weight loss and this month I lost 2 pounds! So, I'm happy about that. For upper body I have two favorite videos... "Claudia Schiffer's Perfectly Fit Arms" and "Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight". They're really good and like you, I have really started seeing the definition of my muscles in my arms and shoulders. A year and a half ago, it was all just one blob of fat!

Sadiegirl - congratulations on your loss! Doesn't it feel great??? Keep up the good work! ;)

Have to go for now! Aphil - that diet float sounds great!

talk to ya guys soon!

Lisa :wave:

aphil
08-07-2001, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone!
Congrats Sadie on your loss! A lot of times we see a pound or two as not a big thing-but it brings you that much closer to your goal-and if you use something like a weight for one or two pounds, or a sack of flour for 5 pounds-it gives yu a better visual of exactly what is NOT on your body anymore!
Lisa-if you like variety in your weight routines-some good ones I like are Denise Austins shortcuts-she has 2-one for upper and one for lower body. The lower body ones don't use the weights as much, because you are usung your body weight as resistance. They are good and easy to follow. I usually do a female bodybuilders routine while I am watching TV, but with smaller weights(3-5lb. depending on body part) but I do one of these videos if I need motivaton or nothing good is on!:D
I am trying to cut through my plateau by eating more protein, and morecomplex carbs instead of refined ones like bread and sweets. I know Iam gaining muscle mass-and once I am at my goal size-I wouldn't mind raising my weight levels and getting more "cut"!
Well,my son is squealing for my attention-so everyone stick with it-and have a wonderful day!
Lots of love,
Aphil

willbethin
08-09-2001, 02:18 PM
i just finished reading everyone's inspiring an enthusiastice posts. hope everyone is doing alright.

i am currently on richard simmons. i just started yesterday. it is basically the same thing as you guys are doing. but he pretty much counts the calories for you and i dont have to write anything down. just shut the windows on the food mover.

i too believe the old fashioned way is the only way it will happen. i really wanted the lowcarb thing to work, but didnt like how i felt. i was on ww points, but used my points for basically all carbs. so, with richard simmons, he has got a window for every food group, and if i dont want to be hungry at the end of the day, i will close each and every window i am allowed.

i am 5'3 and am 180, between switching different ways of eating since april 28th, i have lost 9 lbs. but now i am sticking to this. healthy eating and a balanced eating plan.

i do drink my water and excercise 4 to 5 times a week for 30 min. i am doing the 1200 cal card, but if i am hungry some days i might just add a little more, i believe for my height and weight i can have up to 1400 cal. but i really want to jump start my weight loss. good luck to all

sadiegirl
08-09-2001, 05:44 PM
Willbethin, I use the foodmover too as a way of counting the amount of exchanges that I eat each day. I like the excercise he promotes as well. Richard's program is so well balanced as it is based on the exchange plan. I also post on Richard's thread.
Glad you are here.

aphil
08-09-2001, 05:51 PM
Hi everyone!
Willbethin-thanks for the great post! Richard Simmons FoodMover is a great convenient way to count calories without looking things up and it can go right in your purse! Glad you are doing well with it!
I tell ya, I am real excited! I do strength training with weights 3 days a week, but I have been totally unmotivated the other 4 days with cardio/aerobic exercise! I hate to run, hate the stairmaster, and can't walk for long periods of time because of my 2 small kids-I hate aerobic tapes for the most part, except for step aerobics, so most of the time I stationary bike. It has been getting SO boring! I ahve read every book in my house on that thing, and I needed something new.
I actually found a tape that I LOVE!
I am learning to bellydance! I have always been interested in it, and I am trying it, and loving it! It does not get your heart rate up as much as jogging or aerobic dance, but the movements are much more isolated, and really improve your posture and tone your abs, shoulders, and back. I am even learning to use zils, those little finger cymbals! Once I am really confident with a few routines, I may surprise my husband with a little show!:o
Well, I have to go now-the dishes need done.(how boring!)
Love, Aphil

willbethin
08-09-2001, 08:24 PM
hi aphil, i am so glad you found something to make your excercising interesting. i am sure hubby would love a show. good for you.

i usually do a circuit workout, sometimes tapes, but mostly aerobic machines i have down basement mixed with arm weights, stomach excercises , hip and thigh machine. all while i watch tv. i am a tv addict, although that is being taken over by my computer. there are so many supportative people regarding weight loss, i just love to talk to people, who made goal, who are struggling to make goal, and everyone in between. i have to believe i will make goal one day.

there has been enough failures. and i want off this rollercoaster ride. too many ups and downs:dizzy: only up from now on:)

southern gal
08-09-2001, 10:17 PM
Hello everyone!

I've been reading your posts and think this is probably where I fit in best!

I'm another one who has tried everything under the sun but have trouble sticking to anything for very long. I've lost weight (and gained, and lost, and gained...) but I'm very discouraged at this point with my weight at an all time high of 220. Currently, I'm walking as much as possible, trying to drink enough water, and just trying to be sensible about my eating. I'm using calorie counting and the old WW exchanges as a guideline.

I wish each and every one of you much success! Here is to seeing less of us in the future!

Southern gal;)

aphil
08-09-2001, 10:51 PM
Hi,
Welcome Southern Gal!
I am so glad you decided to join us! We offer each other a lot of support here! Do not beat yourself up over your weight-we are all in the same boat, and at least you recognize you have a problem, and are doing something about it! Good luck!
Willbethin-I, too, am a tv fanatic and watch while I weight train. It really makes the time go by faster. And, yes-my hubby is looking forward to the show!
I just printed off a picture from a website of the dress I have to wear in my friend's wedding-along with a picture of me at my highest weight! (yuck!)
How's that for motivation?
Well, take care everyone!
Love, Aphil

devoted
08-10-2001, 12:00 PM
Happy Friday Everyone!

Welcome Southern Gal! Glad you joined us. I know how hard it is to find that motivation to stick with the weight loss. I was an overweight child, overweight teen and an overweight adult. Something happened to me when I turned 29 years old. It just hit me that I was wasting the best years of my life being fat! So, I made a vow... told EVERYONE I was going to lose it all by the time I turned 30. By telling everyone, I felt like it gave me that push to make it happen. Like a challenge to prove myself right. Anyway, here I am midway into my 30th year on this earth and I'm over 60 pounds lighter! I KNOW how hard it is and the commitment it takes. It almost has to become an obsession... at least with me. You have to think about it almost every waking moment... counting calories, planning meals, making time for exercise, etc. But I do have to say, the hard work IS worth it in the end!

Aphil - I LOVE the belly dance thing! I thought of trying that myself. There is a video out there and for the life of me I can't remember the name of the woman who does it, but she supposedly trains celebrities using belly dancing techniques and she's made a fitness video along those lines. I'll try to remember her name. My favorite workout is Step! I LOVE it and I get such a good workout in the classes at my gym. I mentioned before that I don't really sweat as much doing aerobics... I was doing Jazzercise for several months and just wasn't getting the intensity I needed. I sweat buckets during the step classes and I have so much fun, the time goes by so fast!

Well, have to get to work! Have a great day everyone!
Lisa ;)

willbethin
08-10-2001, 12:25 PM
hi everyone, how are you guys doing??? i am doing great so far. but weekends are hard, eating out or ordering out with hubby, socialize drinking, i just have to be strong. make better choices, and stick to this way of eating. i just have to take it one day at a time.

next door neighbor gave me leftover birthday cake, last night. i didnt touch it, and planned on giving it to kids for snack today.

well i almost made it , had a piece. but i shut a bunch of windows for it, i dont know if they were right. i t was a little piece w icing. i shut a fruit, 2 fat and a dairy. thought that would cover it. i hope so. i am doing to well to not see loss at then end of the week.

i wont be doing that again soon. :s:

willbethin
08-10-2001, 03:27 PM
it is 2:30pm and if you read my previous post, you know i had a piece of cake. well i guess that was a trigger food, cause i overate at lunch. well i guess i am still learning. i will try to salvage the rest of the day with lots of veggies and healthy foods.

devoted
08-10-2001, 03:47 PM
Willbethin,

Don't beat yourself up over this. It's okay to "fall off the wagon" once in a while. What counts is getting right back on and keep trudging along. The worst thing you can do is feel guilty over it.

I know what you mean, though. Sometimes if I eat something I don't usually eat, I want to keep eating bad stuff all day long! One thing I do is allow myself a "Cheat Day" where I can have a meal or a sweet snack that I've been craving all week. So, for example if someone brings Donuts into the office, I'll tell myself... you can have a donut on Cheat Day. That usually works and I reward myself with the donut (or whatever it is) on my designated day. It helps me stay on track during the week.

Have a great weekend!
Lisa ;)

willbethin
08-10-2001, 04:12 PM
thanks devoted, wont beat myself up over it,or i will really get depressed and really pigout. good idea about a cheat day, but i guess i should call today my cheat day, and move on tomorrow. i cant give up.

although i need to be on some kind of structured program, i feel that i always think about food too much. when i was on ww, how many points do i have left, or rs, how many windows do i have to close to eat this. i wish i could just eat like person who has a normal appetite.

i see skinny people eating pizza, but they probably stop at one piece. i see skinny people having cocktails on the weekend and not think twice about it.

but come to think of it, when i met my husband i was 20 yrs old and could eat sour cream and onion potato chips for breakfast. i never thought about food. i excercised and ate and drank what i wanted. i got married when i was 27 , it seemed to start right after i got married, just little at a time. i was 125 when i got married. guess i am feeling sorry for myself, but isnt there a way to eat and lose weight without obsessing over it??? thanks for reading.

devoted
08-10-2001, 05:17 PM
Willbethin - If there is a way... I don't know what it is. For me, in order to lose weight, I HAVE to be obsessed over it. I can't just eat like a regular person. All of my friends are skinny and they can eat what they want when they want it. I think I realized what a huge problem I had with food, when I moved in with a roommate. She could eat pizza or fast food or whatever but she could stop when she was full, push it aside and be completely satisfied. Me, on the other hand would keep eating and keep eating and keep eating until I was so stuffed I could puke! It's like the taste of the food was just too overwhelming for me. I coudn't stop. So, I know if I go back to that way of eating, I'll gain all of my weight back and probably more. I just think that some people have food addictions just like there are people addicted to alcohol, nicotine, etc. I know I'm one of those people (addicted to food, that is) and if I don't constantly think about keeping myself on the right track, I'll totally fall right off!

So far, so good though. I've been on this road for about a year and a half now and I feel confident that I can keep myself here, but it's a constant struggle, with constant thoughts of calories, food, exercise, etc. It doesn't seem right, but it's the only thing that's worked for me.

Talk to ya later!
Lisa ;)

willbethin
08-10-2001, 09:19 PM
hi devoted, i know this is the way it has to be for me to lose weight, but i just get so sick of it sometimes. and you are proof that it can and will work out, i am not giving up, but just a little frustrated. i am sure it will pass.

thanks for sharing some of your weight story with me. i am the same way, about eating until you are so stuffed. i know i will figure this out. and i will keep posting and keep reading.

southern gal
08-10-2001, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome, Aphil and Devoted. I really appreciate the support!

Willbethin, hang in there. I am the world's worst about "falling off the wagon" (well, dang, I blew it on one cookie, I might as well eat the whole bag...) but one slip, or even a whole day of slipping, is not going to make that much of a difference in the long run - not as long as you get back with the program.

At one point in my life, I lost 65 pounds on WW and one of the things that I used to do (all these little tricks are coming back to me!) was to put in an extra walk on a bad day. I had to force myself to do it at times, but it helped me get back on track - and burned up some of the calories I had just consumed on my binge.
Something about doing the extra exercise put the food end back into perspective for me.

I agree with Devoted. I really feel that people can be addicted to food (put my name at the top of the list) and we are the ones who will have to try harder than most with our weight. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Southern Gal

sadiegirl
08-10-2001, 10:31 PM
I agree with all of you. Skinny people do eat do eat much differently. But then again our metabolisms and thoughts on food are much different too! I cannot say I have to be obsessed that does not work for me. I do need to be focused though. Willbethin do not get yourself down.Brush yourself off and get back to it.

aphil
08-10-2001, 10:57 PM
Hi, everyone!
With all this talk about falling off the wagon with a binge-count me in for today!
I, too fell off the wagon today. I got up, exercised, and about 2:00 this afternoon, all **** broke loose! I feel terrible.
I have been doing so great, too.
I can definitely relate with all of you about binging and eating 'til you're stuffed.
My mom has one of those great metabolisms where she can eat whatever she wants and weigh around 135. She is the only one in our family like that-she must be an alien!:)
I also have found that cake, donuts, and other overly processed sugarey foods are trigger foods for bingeing. It is the sudden blood sugar rush that is the cause for this, so I try to eat the occasional food like this after a meal that has protein in it, so it does not have that effect.
Well, hopefully this next week will be better for all of us!
Aphil

willbethin
08-11-2001, 09:18 AM
it kinda of nice to know we all have days like this. and we can support each other through these times, after all if we never had days like this, we would all be "our perfect" weights. we will be one day.

good idea about eating those sugary things after a protein meal. i dont really like or crave sugary things, i dont eat them, but if it is my face i will eat it.

my problem is greasy fried food, my favorite and most addicting is french fries. pizza, just take out grease in general.

i know there are lowfat versions of these , i just have to eat them.
alright, done and over with. brand new day, brand new attitude. just eat when hungry, stop when full. drink water, eat healthy. make better choices, and oh yea excercise.:) we can do this, we have been doing well, let's get ourselves together. let me know how everyone is doing today. it is 8:14 am here and i have been up since 6:30. it is a habit i have to get up early and babysit kids all week and they come at 7:00.

i havent had breakfast yet, not hungry. good luck to all. we can be stonger, we have to be stronger than the food.

alright, pep talk over. let's just do it.

aphil
08-11-2001, 01:00 PM
Hey,
Willbethin-awesome pep talk!
Aphil

willbethin
08-11-2001, 04:28 PM
southern girl, glad ww worked for you. 65 lbs that is great. i want to lose 60. you did it before you can do it again.

i just wanted to say, i ate breakfast this morning, and it is 3:20 i havent eaten anything since then, just water. i have been cleaning, and got alot of me time in today. hubby worked today, and my daughter is just a sweetheart, she is playing upstairs in her playroom. i excercised and watched two movies i rented.

god, did i need that. very relaxing. and i am not thinking about, how many windows, i have left or how many calories or points, i have left to eat for the day. i am just not thinking about it.

ya see on these programs, i would always think, and say well i have this left for the day so i will eat this, even if i am not hungry, i will eat it because i have points left or windows on richard simmons. so maybe if i take the pressure off and just listen to my body, i will finally get this right. and of course make healthy choices when i am hungry. hope everyones day is going as good as mine.

see i already forgot about that nasty day yesterday:p

southern gal
08-11-2001, 10:46 PM
Willbethin, I'm so glad you have had a better day today! Sounds like you are in control and ready for a new week. Isn't it nice to have a relaxing day every once in a while? We need to be good to ourselves. :)

This week has been really good for me. I've gotten my exercise in every day. I'm working on the food and water - that seems to be harder. My problem is that I'm really starting to stress out over being ready to go back to teaching on Monday - and I'm definitely a stress eater. Once the school year takes in, I have trouble finding the time for exercise as well. Now I'm starting to stress over that - and I haven't even run into that problem yet! :(

Ugh! I hate being so down after Willbethin's lovely pep talk! Ignore me!!! I've just got to get my attitude straight and take things one day at a time.

:wave: Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Southern Gal

willbethin
08-11-2001, 11:16 PM
hi southern gal, i am a stess eater too. unfortuatly, my stress is the thing i like to do best, it never was , but recently has become. let me explain.

i had been at a daycare center for 18 yrs, recently unemployed there. i was there since i was a senior in high school. i am 36 now in case i did not mention it.

my boss died of cancer and her daughter had been trying to take over, making really bad business decesisions. she is 10 yrs younger than me , and had no respect at all. that i had been working for her mother for 18 yrs. she has no expeirence. and doesnt know how to talk nice to people. well i could tell you the whole story , but it would take all night. i took her death very hard, and i got drunk and said things i shouldnt have. then she said , i could take your job for this, so i said go ahead, and that was that.

i didnt get to say bye to the kids, their parents or anything. i took that job cause i love kids. the money was bad and no benefits.

i feel there was no closure. now i babsit at home and it is very stressful. so i cant let this get the better of me. and i know you wont either. i just wanted to let you know i kinda know what it is to be with kids and have the stress.

we will work through this, i will tell you more later, this is too long.

willbethin
08-13-2001, 04:05 PM
how is everybody doing??? i ate little too much dinner last night , but i know there are gonna be days like this. i only excercised 3 day last week too. but i will do better this week.

hope everyone is doing well.:)

sadiegirl
08-13-2001, 09:13 PM
I am doing well.I lost .75 lbs. this week. I was on vaction last week and treated myself to things that I do not eat too often. I did drink my water though. I don't make any food a no-no so that I don't get a sudden urge to binge on something. I do have my downtimes though.

southern gal
08-13-2001, 10:39 PM
Hope everyone had a terrific Monday.

Sadiegirl, glad you are doing well. I think that is a great idea to make no food off limits. It is amazing that as soon as I tell myself I can't have it, that is exactly what I want! You did great to actually lose weight when you have been on vacation. Way to go!

Willbethin, your story is heartbreaking but I think you must be a very strong person to pick up the pieces and go on. Hang in there and don't let the stress get to you. Good job with the exercising (I figure if I do anything, it is better than what I have been doing the last few months!).

I went back to school today (I teach 1st grade). Ugh! It has been a long one and I'm totally exhausted. Not good...I didn't get a chance to exercise today. I got up at 5:45, got a shower and started getting the kids ready for school. Put the first one on the bus at 6:45 and the second one at 7:10 (they are in a different school district than the one I teach in - they started to school last week). Then I had to leave at 7:30 to get to the opening "pep"rally for the school district (boring). I stayed tied up in meetings and working in my room the rest of the day. Didn't get home until 5:30 and had to turn around and leave again at 6:15 to play Bunko with some friends. Now it is 9:30, I've just gotten home and still have laminating to cut out for tomorrow along with getting things organized for student registration - which starts at 8:00 in the morning. I didn't eat right (too much food at Bunko) and tomorrow doesn't look any better for exercise. Help!!! I feel snowed under! I know it will even out, but it is always tough getting the school year started.

OK enough feeling sorry for myself. Hopefully I can at least walk tomorrow evening - no, I will walk tomorrow - even if I can't do it in the morning. I've written way too much - got to get to that laminating! - have a good day tomorrow.

Southern gal

willbethin
08-14-2001, 07:55 AM
congrats sadiegirl, you still lost, good for you,and it sounds like you had a good time.

southerngirl, sounds like you have been way to busy, my daughter doesnt start school till sept. 5. i guess a teachers work is never done. i know it doesnt leave much time for anything else. sometimes i have to push it , but i think untill i get done babysitting i am gonna have to start doing it at night. i just cant seem to get motivated at 5:30 am to start getting all sweaty and jumping around.

i know all too well how situations can sabatoge a good eating plan. we just have to take it one day at a time, and try to do better the next day. i am still trying to figure it out myself.

aphil, where are you?? hope everything is going alright. hope to hear from you.

saggy
08-14-2001, 10:24 AM
Hey Southern girl! I teach too and feel your pain. I try and get up at 5:30 and do a half and hour of step aerobics 3 times a week during the school year. It seems to give me more energy. I also go to kickboxing class at night. I don't have any of my own children yet, so I'm sure you are a lot busier that me.
Hope you have a good school year. ( I love cutting out laminated materials. Isn't that silly.)
Take care,
Saggy

aphil
08-14-2001, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone!
The past couple days have been pretty hectic! Southern Gal-your schedule will become bearable soon-hang in there!
Willbethin-Sorry to hear about your work situation. I hope things are better soon. It sounds like your bosses daughter is in pain and taking it out on everyone else.
Well, where do I start? Sunday morning my sister-in-laws best friend Jessica (she's about 20) called my in-laws to tell everyone her mother died. She had been fighting a brain tumor for a couple years. Jessica had a baby boy last month and it was her first grandchild-I was just happy she lived long enough for him to be born. Jessica and my sister-in-law are taking it pretty hard.
My husband's birthday was last week, and we live about an hour away from our families because of his job, so his mom wanted to celebrate his birthday Sunday at her house. She babies him so much-he is her only son. So we had to have dinner over there and cake, etc. Needless to say I wasn't very good.:(
My little girl was at her house all week for bible school at her church-and the last day of it a kid in her class broke out in chicken pox-so he had been contagious all week and noone knew it.
So now I am checking my daughter every day for spots. I hope she doesn't have them and give them to the baby!
I have been eating pretty bad, running back and forth, but I have at least gotten my excercise in -so all is not lost!:D
Well, gotta go-baby's hungry!
Aphil

willbethin
08-14-2001, 02:01 PM
hi aphil, wow you have been busy, sorry to hear about jessica's mom, shame that her grandchild will never get to know her. i have been eating, so , so some days healthy and some days overeating, but at least it is not everyday eating bad, and i havent binged in a while. my number one prioriety right now. even if i over eat a little dont turn it into a binge.. good for you for keeping up the excercising. back on track, one day at a time. today so good so far.

aphil
08-19-2001, 09:22 PM
Hi,
I haven't heard from everyone in a few days. Yesterday I went to the zoo with my baby son and my friend, who brought her neice. We walked all day long! Today my parents called and wanted to take my daughter, so my son and I went along again-so today I walked all day again! I normally do most of my excercis ethrough the week, so this was a nice extra in that department!
I have finally broken my plateau and have lost another pound-so now I am 189. It was taking forever! I just hope it will start dropping a little easier now for a while.
I hope everyone is doing okay-I miss hearing from you all!
Aphil:)

willbethin
08-20-2001, 08:03 AM
another pound, way to go:) and good for you , for walking extra, that definitly helps. hope you had fun at the zoo.

i have been pretty busy myself. and doing alot of thinking. i love that i have been little by little changing my eating habits, but i have been stuck at 180 for a while, i know it is due to the fact that at least two days a week i am not making healthy eating choices and i am overeating. water and excercise is fine, i also know i eat too many carbs.

so with this in mind, i am going to do ww points, and use more of my points for proteins.

i hope this works for everyone, and i do plan on doin it the old fashion way for life. but for now i have to get this scales moving or i am gonna give up.

ww points has worked for me in march of 2000, i lost 17lbs in one month, but i was hungry and gave up. but since then i have been on low carb, no diet approach and ww off and on. and found that ww points was easy and i can make it healthier, by not spending my points on all carbs.

i will let everyone know how i am doing. and i will be reading how everyone here is doing. good luck guys.:)

aphil
08-20-2001, 01:59 PM
Hey,
Willbethin-never give up!
I think you will do a bit better if instead of 2 "free days", maybe allow yourself juat a few more calories or points on those days.
Also try being more selective about the type of carbs you are eating-whole grain bread instead of white, bran flakes instead of sweet cereals, and whole fruits instead of juice or applesauce. It makes your digestive system work a bit harder to digest them, and has more fiber. It also doesn't spike your insulin levels so quickly like processed carbs.
I know how much of a pain it is for the loss to slow down after it started so quickly, but remember it comes off slower the closer you are to your ideal weight! THink of it in a good light instead of bad.
I have been so busy-my daughter's third birthday is in a few weeks, and she decided she wants a VeggieTales party. So now I am figuring out things to make for it. I hope it turns out well!
Talk to you soon,
Aphil

southern gal
08-20-2001, 07:56 PM
Hi Aphil, Willbethin, and Saggy! I know you thought I fell off the face of the earth! :o Just been super busy - and not doing so well on my eating and exercise plan because of it.

I'm really glad to hear that you all are sticking with it and taking care of yourselves. That is what it takes. And that is something I know I need to work on. I find it too easy to fall off the wagon when work/home pressures get to me.

5:30 Saggy? I'm up by 5:45 but find it hard to get moving then. Any pointers? Once I settle into the school year, I hope to be able to get my exercise in then. Right now, I'm having to go in early to work so it is hard.

Willbethin, don't give up yet. You have obviously made progress - think of the positive and keep going. You have come too far to give up now! Aphil, you are a great encourager. Willbethin, listen to her!

Gotta run. (Still cutting out laminating among other things!) My goals for tomorrow are to pack my own lunch and get in early enough to get in some walking!!!

Southern Gal
;)

willbethin
08-21-2001, 08:09 AM
thanks for the encouraging words. i know i can 't give up, but the thoughts are there sometimes.

aphil, you gave me some great suggetions, that is alot of my problem, i dont go the extra mile to go look for the whole grain carbs. the white are cheaper and easier to find. my daughter never got into veggietales, i hope your party turns out well. i am not as creative of a person as you are. my daughters birthday is in the winter, so i just hire entertainment, face painting , magician, songs.it is a bit more expensive, but worth it , since i cant think of my own stuff to do.

i am still stressed, watching these children for the summer, i am stressed when i eat, cause someone always needs something, i am always rushing through breakfast and lunch. trying to get a moment to myself.

i think once school is started, i too will be able to concentrate on me more. sometimes i have to excercise at 8:30 at night.

my dd will be starting kindergarten, so i will only be watching one child with her and they are in school for three hours, i will have the other girl till 3:00. so i can have me time and excercise and clean while they are in school, i cant wait.

lets all try to hang in there and do this. hope everyone else is doing well. new day, new attitude. we all get busy, and i know all too well how that can sabatoge a plan of eating healthy.

we can do this. i really wanted to lose enough weight to see a difference by time i took dd to school. i know i will be seeing people i havnt seen in years. i live in the town where i graduated high school.

oh well, i am rambling now. have a great day guys.
:) geeze, the times are really different when you are posting, the time on the post says, 12:13pm and it is only 7 15 am here, what is up with that??

aphil
08-21-2001, 10:38 PM
Willbethin,
Some easy ways to eat better carbs :
Regular rice instead of Minute Rice
Look for bread with 3-6 grams of fiber per serving on the label
fruits instead of juice
vegetables
eat the skin when you have a baked potato
Also-if you would like some cool theme party ideas for your kids-Birthday Express has a great website. They have decorations for any theme you could dream of-fairies, frogs, army men, you name it-not just the main Scooby Doo and Pooh stuff. They give a lot of cool hints.
They also sell balloon animal videos and kits at magic stores and websites. My daughter thinks it is the coolest thing that I can do that. I look out for things at the store that I could do for my kids for special occasions-I bought a cookie press that makes them into Sesame Street shapes,etc. It doesn't cost a lot, but just takes a little time. Me and my husband are big kids ourselves and are always doing things we wanted to do as kids for our children.
Southern Gal-great to hear from you again-I figured you were busy. It's only human to fall off the wagon, you just have to remember to get back on.
Aphil

sadiegirl
08-22-2001, 08:08 AM
How is everyone doing overall? I lost another 3.5lbs the other night at weigh in. I am still using Richard's foodmover as a guide. You ave some great suggestions aphil!

246/207.75/165

willbethin
08-22-2001, 08:33 AM
hi aphil, thanks for the great ideas, about b days i will check it out. and some great tips of whole grain and fiber carbs. i have to give them a try, after all, i have given everything else a try. i am doing alright, but the pms thing started yesterday, i only get tom month for 3 days and very light, but the pms is really bad. so i know giving in to the cravings and over eating, just makes everything worse:( i will just have to be stronger.

southern girl, i have been there and back and there again, but i know i will make goal , because i never give up trying, and that in itself will get me there. and the support i get here.

sadie girl, great job , you are on your way, you are doing it!!!! feels great huh?? now why cant i remember that great feeling i had when once i had lost 17 lbs:?: and everytime i work out, the sweat and determination i have to get through another day of excercise. how can i even think about over eating???? i will get there. i just wish i would stop making it be so hard.

for the past month i havent been able to stick to more than 2 or 3 days on a healthy eating plan without over eating. so if i can get through 4 days in a row without cheating i will be on my way.

i do however have a really big party at my house. it is for my grahm, on sat. it is her 84th, and she hasnt been feeling all that well, so i really wanted it to be big. alot of food alot of drinks and plenty of people. i hate to have a plan, of eating cause if i dont stick to it i will be upset.

i have heard people have one off day that they dont have to worry about food, maybe i will try, just one day, as long as i dont make it turn into more. did i read that somewhere on here???

Alzym
08-22-2001, 08:42 AM
I bought a book and for the first couple of months I looked EVERYTHING up, and now I don't have to. I have it memorized. I hear people all the time saying it's a hassle, but I look at it like this... either I can count the calories and KNOW how much I have taken in, or not count them and SEE how much I have taken in. I love Calorie counting and I too give myself a limit with Calories and fat. Thanks for all the good tips.

willbethin
08-22-2001, 10:52 AM
hi alzym, wow , it really looks like you found something that worked for you. congratulations. you are doing great!!! how do you determine, how many calories and fat grams you are allowed to have for your height and weight?

looks like your hard work is paying off. not much more to go huh?? i wish you luck.

i read somewhere, that you just have to add a 0 to the end what you weigh. like i weigh 180 so i need 1800 calories, but this sounds like what i would need to maintain. seems like to many calories. i am 5'3. any sites you know about that might help me determine this?? i excercise 4 times week, for 30 min. any help would be appreciated.

i have done ww and richard simmons, so i never really calculated how many calories i was eating. and you know about those low carbs, dont really count calories just watch carbs. thanks

sadiegirl
08-22-2001, 01:32 PM
Keep at it willbethin!! You soon will be thin! Willbethin!

willbethin
08-24-2001, 08:39 AM
well, i let pms, get the better of me, the kids i babysit for are not being very good. my grahm who i was having this big party for , had a heart attack, i am really close to her, i was devasted, she is in intensive care, i am going to visit her tonight. my mom has had a dislocated shoulder and it is not healing right, she doesnt have insurance, and feels like she is losing her best friend(my grahm) oh i also forgot to say allergies are kicking in. sneezing, itchy eyes and nose, i feel like a mess right now.

so how do i deal with all this stress? i overeat!!!!!!!! when will i ever stop stress eating:mad: the kid situation will be ending soon. hopefully my grahm will be alright, and pms doesnt last forever.

so i will try again to not deal with this stress by overeating. i still did excercises and drank my water. i just dont know what the weekend will hold, since i probably wont be home much.

hope everyone else is doing good.

sadiegirl
08-24-2001, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your Gram and your Mom. Keep praying to get help with the stress.

willbethin
08-24-2001, 08:55 PM
hello, i am doing so much better today. although i have to admit i am on ww points all day today. i am allowed 22 to 27 points and it is 7:50pm and i still have 6 points left over.

since i am on ww points could i still post here??? cause i feel like i am still doing it the old fashion way, but this is keeping me from eating too much, of even the good healthy stuff.

hope everyone is doing great. i am definitly re committed to getting healthy.

sadiegirl
08-25-2001, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear you are doing well. You sure can post here!! These boards are for support. Keep up the good work and stick tothose points. It is all about what ever works for you.

willbethin
08-25-2001, 10:30 AM
hi sadie, thanks, i am doing good. the weekends are always a challenge though, i know i can do it. how are you doing???

hello everyone, hope everyone is doing well. would like to hear from all you busy people.

it is 9:27 am on sat. i havent drank any water yet or eaten anything. i better get started. have a great and healthy weekend.
:)

sadiegirl
08-25-2001, 12:58 PM
I am diong well willbethin!!! Weekends are not too bad if I am carefull. I guess I spent too many years uncomfortable and fat. I could say that I eat a little of everything and enjoy it rather than going hog wild and figuring that I blew it and why not. Believe me I used to think this way. It got old and I finally made up my mind that I could learn to eat right enjoy a little of everything and still lose weight. I am getting there. Keep posting it helps o get through!

willbethin
08-27-2001, 07:54 AM
hi sadie, you are right about the weekends, i used to think just like that too.

i did eat a little bit of everything. stayed within points. i think i am done feeling fat and uncomfortable too.

i even had a big fight with hubby, and normally i would turn to food, but i said not this time, no one or nothing is going to , make be over eat. no more binges. it is just not worth it.

hope everyone else is doing well. lets do it!!!!!

sadiegirl
08-27-2001, 01:31 PM
Good news willbethin. Sorry you and hubby had a fight. Hope all is cam now. Great to know that oothers are defeating the eatin' deamons.
Tonight is weigh in for the week it s always a suprise. Have not gained yet though.
246/207.75/165

willbethin
08-27-2001, 03:41 PM
hi sadie, you come so far already, you are doing well, i know the scale will be kind.

me and hubby havent spoken yet, but it is not looking good. he is not the man i married anymore, i feel like it is over.

so i dont need to be messing up on eating, cause then i will feel twice as bad. i know i can control this.

sadiegirl
08-27-2001, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear about you and hubby. I pray that things do work out or you two can consider counseling. Miscommunication between couples can be a big problem sometimes.
Anyway on a lighter note; Everyone at work jumped on the weight loss bandwagon. Some are doing WW Points, my boss is doing the Atkins and I am doing RS. It was great to see everybody carrying their water bottles around today. What got them started was seeing how much I lost was enough of an incentive for them to get on the basll. one or two of them are in the 100lb.to lose arena. I cannot wait to see how they progress.

southern gal
08-27-2001, 10:08 PM
Hi Willbethin and Sadiegirl! Where did everyone else go?

Willbethin, so sorry about you and hubby. :( Fighting with a spouse is major stress but you are right about overeating only making you feel worse. Hang in there and I wish the best for you. Hope everthing works out.

Sadiegirl, way to go on the weight loss. You are in inspiration to the rest of us! You are halfway to your goal!!! Yeah!

I did manage to lose 2.5 pounds this week (probably stress from school!) and got in 4 days of walking. I do really well on my food plan during the day, but have a tendency to raid the fridge as soon as I get home from work. Ugh! I've got to work on that...
Any suggestions?

Have a good week, girls! Here is to seeing less of us in the future!

Southern Gal:cool:

sadiegirl
08-28-2001, 08:20 AM
Hi willbethin and southeren gal. I hope all are well. I lost 3.25 lbs. at last nights weigh-in. Keep your eye on your goal southeren gal.

246/204.5/165

willbethin
08-28-2001, 08:34 AM
sadiegirl, that is great to hear about everyone at work, now you have double support, and what an inpiration you are to them. wow what a great weight loss, you are doing awesome!!!! feel proud, girls.

girls thanks for your kind words, i wish i could get hubby to couseling, maybe i will tell him it is couseling or it is over.

my grahm is hanging in there, although she wont let them take test to see if arteries are clogged, she is 84 italian and very stubborn. she doesnt want them to do anything to prolong her life. she hasnt been very happy lately and i think she is ready to be with my deceased grandfather. i am not ready to let her go yet, she still looks so strong and fiesty. she's not one of those old people that are real skinny and frail. and her mind is still sharp as a tack.

hi southern girl, you are doing fantastic, congrats on more weight gone. i will weigh in on thurs. morn. good luck in school.

i am doing very well on eating program, but the allergies are really slowing me down, i am gonna have to really push myself to excercise. lets keep up the good work.

aphil where are you??? you started this whole thread. hope all is well. you got me motivated again.

Bev
08-28-2001, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone,

Well I would like to join you guys. I have tryed ever diet possible ww, richard simmons, ever diet in a magazine, diet pills but believe it or not i have not counted my calories. Since nothing else works i am going to give it a try. IS there a site that tells you how many calories you should be eatting.Also does anyone know of a calorie tracker like fitday or dietwatch that goes on your desktop so that you can track your food and calories without logging onto the internet.

well i look forward to getting to know everyone

sue

willbethin
08-28-2001, 02:49 PM
hi its_my_life. welcome, i dont think i can be of much help, but i just am glad to have you here.

i found ww points to be working for me, i dont go to meetings, but have the information from joining in the past. i just find counting points for me is easier. i feel like i get more, like fruit is one point instead of 50 calories. i eat more proteins. too.

i really eat what i want, just less of it cause points keep me in line with portions. and there really isnt a whole lot of measuring or wieghing. i am getting to know what is a serving, and if i want more of that serving well, it wil cost me more points.

i am doing well with this. so far, my at home weigh in day is thursday morn. i will let know then. i am allowed 22 to 27 points a day, which a great window, for days when i am hungry and days i am not so hungry. i think that amounts to 1150 to 1500 calories.

it is good to know i can have up to 27 if i am really that hungry.

be patient there are alot of people on here that will reply to you soon , that will be of some help. good luck

aphil
08-28-2001, 04:09 PM
Hi everyone,
I would have posted a lot sooner than this, I set it up so I get an email every time there is a new post, and it hasn't worked in a few days!
Welcome It's my life! You were wondering how many calories you should be eating-that depends on how overweight you are now. Let me know and I can help. Most women can lose eating 1200-1800 cvalories a day. Start at the highest level, and when you stop losing a pound a week, go a hundred lower, or up your excercise. Never go under 1200 calories a day. It will slow down your metabolism, and may make you weak, or if done for a long time period, cause side effects like hair loss due to lack of nutrition.
Wilbethin-sorry to hear about your bad times lately. I know how you feel with all the family things. I just lost my grandmother in December, and I understand the husband problems. If you want you can email me anytime-aphil@angelfire.com.
I am still at 189-I don't know why the weight is being so stubborn! I am trying not to be depressed about it. I still hate seing the fat me in the mirror, though. I am sure you can all relate.:p
You guys were talking about the ww points-it is basically the same as counting calories-just in a different format. The point system is usually easier for some to remember, but I have counted calories before it came out, so I have most of my faves memorized!
I hope you all are doing well-Willbethin-let me know how your home life is going-you have a lot of friends here!
Take care all,
Aphil

willbethin
08-28-2001, 09:17 PM
hi everyone,

oh there you are aphil, i knew you wouldnt desert us. thanks for the kind words, and sorry to hear about your grahm. thanks for the offer of e mail, i might just take you up on that, i will write it down.

i of all people know about staying a certain wieght for so long, but it will budge. about the mirror, i was just thinking about that yesterday. i got on scale today it says i am 179, tha scale finally budged, but my official weigh in is thurs. morn. so i will officially weigh in then. if i lost 10 lbs altogether, how come i still look in the mirror and still see that fat person, instead of a person who has just successfully lost 10 lbs?

guess it will get easier. we just have to stick with it, no quitters. we are gonna do this.

southern gal
08-28-2001, 10:26 PM
Hi everyone!

Welcome its_my_life! Like you, I've probably tried every diet under the sun. I've lost weight - and gained - and lost - and gained (you get the picture!).

Counting calories is fairly easy considering it really doesn't eliminate any foods from your diet (yes, if I truly think I can't live without the chocolate cake, I eat it - but it may be vegetables for the rest of the day!). You can use one of those pocket calorie counters (you can pick up those little books at the grocery or k-mart) to start. It doesn't take long to figure out how many calories your favorites have!

I've followed Willbethin's method of WW points but I find that the old WW exchange program is easier for me. I made a computer sheet that I post on my fridge and just check off the blocks. (When the blocks are all filled in, I go to bed!) It is about 1400 - 1600 calories depending on whether or not you use the optional blocks. If you are interested in that, let me know and I'll be glad to e-mail you a copy.

Willbethin - 10 pounds is 10 pounds, good for you! I have the image problem thing too. (So I just avoid mirrors!) Think of your accomplishment and forget the image.

Aphil, glad you're back. I can relate to the computer problems. We just lost a harddrive at school. Recreating stuff is the pits! Hang with your program and don't worry too much over the plateau. Everyone hits those - I don't know of any way to avoid them (if you discover one - let me know!). That is when I always get discouraged so I know you have to be extra careful not to let it get to you.

Gotta get up at my normal 5:45 in the morning to walk and get the kids off. I've still got some school work to finish before I can get some sleep - and this note has gotten way too long! Have a good one girls!

Southern Gal

Bev
08-29-2001, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I bought a book that has calorie counts so that should help me.

Aphil- I weigh 171, I am 30 lbs overweight. If you need any more information to help me find out my needed calories just ask and i appreciate your help.

Southern gal- I would love to see those computer sheets you have for tracking your food- my email is ncmom1@hotmail.com

good night everyone

sue

willbethin
08-29-2001, 08:36 AM
southern girl, your plan sounds great. how is it working for you???

yea, i think i should stay away from the mirrors too. it does put a damper on how good you feel when you lose some weight. but i dont let it get me too down, where i think about quitting.

its_my_life, good for you, you are already planning out your strategy and preparing yourself to start eating healthy and taking control of your eating. you go girl.

everyone has great plans lets stick to them.

aphil
08-29-2001, 12:44 PM
Hi all!
it's_my_life, if you are of average height(5'3"-5'6") start out with about 1600 calories a day. If you lose 10-15 lbs., and stop, you can go down a 100 cals to boost it. When you are at your goal weight, take it up a 100 calories every couple weeks until you are at about 1900-2000 to maintain. Make sure to keep excercising even after you are at your ideal weight. It will keep your body burning fat, and you will keep getting firmer.
So glad to be back!
You can also go to Pizza Hut, Burger King, McDanalds, Taco Bell,ect. even if the listings are not in your calorie book. Go to their websites and find the nutrition information for your favorites. I have my faves written down small in the last couple blank pages of my book. I keep it in my purse, and have a mini notebook and pen that I write it in. It stays with me all day, and I can keep track when I am out.
Ya know guys, after we are all thinner, we need to email each other with before and after pics! Right now my before pic is on my fridge, to keep me out of it!:lol:
Well, gotta put my sheets in the dryer-take care ladies!
Aphil

willbethin
08-30-2001, 08:31 AM
hello, how is everyone doing??? i weighed in this morning, it is 179, never thought i would get under that 180. slow and steady, but i will do it.

189/179/125

hope everyone is doing well. we can do this.

sadiegirl
08-30-2001, 09:17 PM
Great for you willbethin!!! I am waiting to get out of the 200's. Doing well.

246/204.5/165

southern gal
08-30-2001, 10:41 PM
Hi! Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Willbethin, way to go getting under 180. I'm proud of you!!! Doesn't it feet great?

Sadiegirl, I'm with you, if I could get under 200 I'd be happy at this point. But you have already lost a good bit of weight and I think that is wonderful. Unfortunately, I'm starting over (once again). I had lost about 15 pounds and managed to put them all back on again so I'm right back where I started.

its_my_life, I hope you got the food tracking sheet. You can tell I am really computer savy - I forgot to attach the thing before I e-mailed you. I sent it separately. Let me know if you had any problems receiving it. Sorry!!!

Aphil, thanks for the info! I never quite got to the maintainance stage when I was doing WW (I was within 10 pounds, quit going, and gradually put the weight back on over the next 2 years - bummer) so I never knew how you were supposed to figure out what you could eat without gaining weight. I printed a copy of what you wrote and posted it on my bulletin board - I plan to get to that stage this time!!!

Gotta run. I've still got a newsletter to finish for school tomorrow (does it ever end? I didn't get to bed until almost 1:00 last night!!!) so I better get to it. Catch you later, girls!

Southern Gal

aphil
08-30-2001, 11:59 PM
Hey ladies,
Willbethin-way to go! I always think the best pounds to lose are the ones that change the second digit of your weight! It is the same as any other pound, but 179 sounds so much better than 180, huh?
my life-hope my info helped you out-let us all know how you are doing!
Southern Gal and Sadie-keep up the good work, we can do this-I know it is hard, but we have to push each other! It is so great to have this kind of support, and know someone with a kind word is only a website away! It is nice to vent our frustrations to people who understand and are in the same boat.
I ran into a friend of my husband's at Wal-Mart tonite. His wife is in her early 20's and a model. Looked great with no makeup and sweatpants and a tank top with no bra! I was so envious-I used to look like that when I met my husband. I tell ya-if I meet my goal, I am going to walk around like that! I'll wear a bikini out to the mailbox!:o
Well you guys have a good night!
Aphil

willbethin
08-31-2001, 08:37 AM
thanks for the encouraging words, it does feel good. today i am having the end of the summer party for the kids i babysit for, fianlly my life will start to get a little easier now. so the cake, snacks and pizza will be flying.

i have been doing so good though, so i dont want to blow it on this. i f i want that stuff, i will have to think if i want to spend my points of that junk. maybe just one slice of pizza and small piece of cake(maybe) i will let you know how i did.

southern girl, you lost that weight before, you can do it again. my (starting once again) and for the last time, was friday, and i already lost 6 lbs. but as you said i am back where i startred, so now i have to get lower and lower. we will do this. sounds like you have got your hands full these days. makes it harder to stay on program, but you can do it.

sadie girl, you will get under the 200 's your are almost there!!

aphil , you go girl, very brave, a tank top with no bra? i know you can do it??? and we will be the girls in the store, that every one talks about , looking good even though we are dressed like slobs.

it is not easy, everyday turning away the fattening things that made us start struggling to lose weight. with an occasional, i can have this treat, but not everyday. no deprivation, just eating less of our favorite foods. more of the healthy stuff.

and of course excercise and water. did i just say water???? i used to hate when i read alot of posts that said drink, drink , drink that water. i still only drink the minimum, 8 cups a day,sometimes i get 10 in. but i guess everyone else cant be wrong, when they say, water helped them lose weight.

lets keep supporting each other. it helps alot.

aphil
08-31-2001, 03:17 PM
Hi,
Had a good morning so far. I just found the coolest thing for chocolate cravings!!!!!!
Every now and then I have a Slim-Fast bar or shake in place of Breakfast or lunch when I am in a hurry-they are okay, but not spectacular. I like them because they have a lot of nutrients without ephedra and other junk some diet products have.
I was at WalMart, and Kellogs has new nutrtion bars called "Krave." They come in chocolate delight and chocolate peanut. They have 200 calories, and are full of vitamins just like Power bars or Slim-Fast, but taste MUCH better. It was just like a candy bar. I had one for breakfast, and a decent lunch, so I have done well so far. The only thing you have to watch for is not to eat the whole box. They are either in the granola bar section, or where the Slim-Fast stuff is on the grocery side of Wal-Mart. A Hershey bar has about 230 calories, and anything with peanuts or peanut butter 300+. so this is a great treat with some nutritional value. Let me know what you think.
Willbethin-hope you do well at your party today. My daughter's is in 2 weeks, and I am making cupcakes like the Veggietales charactersinstead of a whole cake. That way I can control portion size and have one, instead of a huge slab of cake!:^:
Sadiegirl, you will be under 200 before you know it! When I had my first child, I weighed in at 205 after, and hitting the 199 mark felt SO good!
It's_my_life-are you doing okay??? I hope our info has helped you out some.
Southern Gal-don't beat yourself up for falling off the wagon, most of us have yo-yo'd a bit before finally reaching our goal. I know I have. I have even reached goal, and gained 2 or 3 pounds, but the key is to get back on track before 2 or 3 turns into 20 or 30!:devil:
Well, my sweet daughter wants some attention, so I better go-take care.
Aphil

willbethin
08-31-2001, 09:31 PM
hi aphil. sounds like you are having a good day. good idea about not making a whole cake. well i had a piece,and it said a serving is 75 grams. so i got out my scale and weighed it out. i had to have a piece or it would have turned into a binge, and i would have eaten the whole cake. oh by the way, that was 10:00 this morning, and there is still cake left and it is 8:30 pm and i havent even touched it. it cost me 7 ww points but it was worth every point. and i didnt feel like i was being deprived.

i made the kids mac & cheese with hotdogs, so i didnt have the pizza. oh i also had two potato chips, just to taste, would you believe i stopped at just two, well i did. i didnt know how to count it so i just marked it as a point each.

stayed within point range, and still had a good time with the kids.

we can all do this, it took me so long to realize it , but i finally got it. we can eat and still lose weight, without feeling like we are on a diet. the bars sound good. glad you found something you like.

hope everyone is doing great.

aphil
09-02-2001, 12:20 PM
Hey ladies, just letting you know that the stubborn scale is beginning to budge! I lost another pound, and am now at 188!
Aphil
195/188/140

sadiegirl
09-02-2001, 01:55 PM
Hi ladies!I am having a good weekend. I am making a po of healthy exchange sloppy joes for tonight. I think I may be cracking the 200 mark I do not have TOPS tomarrow, due to the holiday, but I will weigh in tomarrow morning anyway to check my progress. Glad tohear that you stopped after 2 chips willbethin. That is wonderful! I know the feeling of binge eating and those triggers. Keep up the good work and have a great holiday.

Michelle
246/204.5/165

aphil
09-02-2001, 11:20 PM
Sadiegirl,
Is your scale at home weigh in at the same as the one at TOPS? I hope it is at least close, there are some small differences in home scales and doctor's ones-My scale at home is always a couple pounds heavier than a professional one. Just don't want you to get an off result if you are used to weighing in with a certain scale!
I know you are going to break that 200 mark real soon-when you do, don't forget to do something nice for yourself-get a new shirt or makeupor something like that, you deserve it! How do you make your healthy sloppy joes? They sound good.
Willbethin-When you watched children at your old job, did you watch babies, or just older kids? Just wondering because I have a really high demand personality baby, and need some suggestions on how to deal with him better before I go insane!:dizzy:
I had to have him a few weeks premature, and he got real sick at 5 weeks and was in the hospital a while and i had to do a lot of care for him-now he won't let me out of his sight. I can't even shower or do diches without him screaming because he wants me to hold him constantly. The only person who can watch him for any amount of time is my mom because her voice sounds like mine. He is almost 5 months now, and needless to say, it is really starting to wear me down. He will sleep through the night one night, and get up 2 or 3 times the next. My daughter got into a schedule really easy, and as long as she could see me in the room, I could do housework, etc. Any suggestions?
Southern Gal, how are you doing? Hopefully well.
Well, I better quit venting-but it feels so good!:lol:
Take care soon to be skinnies!
Love,
Amy
(Aphil)

southern gal
09-02-2001, 11:46 PM
Hi girls!

Sounds like everyone is doing fine. I lost another pound this week! Yahoo! And that is just from walking everyday. I'm still having trouble staying with the food program at night. I'll just keep working on it...

Aphil, sounds like you are having a time with your little one. I'm sorry I don't have any super solutions for you. Both of my kids were really pretty good when they were babies (middle school age kids these days are a different story though!!!) but I had a friend whose baby had colic and I can remember the dark circles under her eyes. She used to put her little boy in a bouncy seat on top of the dryer or ride him all over the city at times - she never got any housework done either, she was lucky to get a shower at some point during the day. My niece is "high maintenance" but there is usually someone around to hold her so that her mom gets a break occasionally. Your lucky to have your mom to help you out some. Just hang in there - they do grow out of that stage eventually.

Sadiegirl, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will see the 200 mark this week. Let us know!!!

Willbethin, your will power astonds me! (Send some of it my way.)
I'm really glad you are doing so well. It really sounds like you have your act together.

Have a good holiday girls, check in with you later!
Southern Gal

aphil
09-03-2001, 09:13 AM
Hey girls,
I don't know how, but the scale is saying 186, and I have gotten on and off of it about 7 times!!!!!! 2 more pounds, but how?
But hey, I'm not complaining.......
Aphil
195/186/140

sadiegirl
09-03-2001, 09:48 AM
Hi aphill! My scale is about a pound heavier than the TOPS scale. I lost 2lbs. this week putting me down to 202.5lbs. I weighed myself initially before going to my first TOPS meeting so I would know how much mine is off in case I would ever need to use it. I am glad tha there are losses here as everyone is posting and really working hard. I am sure things will work out for your little one.
The sloppy Joes were really good. I measured my portion out and I made french fries in the oven cut them from real potatoes.
Willbethin and southeren gal keep up the good work. Hope all else is well with you!

246/202.5/165

atkhorses
09-03-2001, 04:07 PM
Hi,
I've been reading 3FC for about 5 months now and have come to the same conclusion as all of you guys. Finally, I don't have to worrywith wondering what will work. I've been working out for over a year and although I haven't lost much weight....I feel 100% different; and I mean BETTER. I've found that I eat just about whatever I want within moderation and as long as I work out, I feel great.
The way I've always lost weight has been through calorie counting and uping the exercise. I have 3 children 8 and under and am happy to say, I can do whatever they do and have fun with them. My energy level is terrific. I drink slimfast every now and then, eat lots of salads and veggies. I don't eat after 6p.m. and drink TONS of water!!
It's great to read everyone's success and people sound so positive on this thread. I really enjoy the reading!1 Good luck to all and let's keep up the good work
Kelley King

atkhorses
09-03-2001, 04:09 PM
I'm new to this thread, but LOVE it.
I would love to post the WW computer sheet on my fridge as well. You can email to me privately if you don't mind:
atkhorses@ev1.net.
I can't wait to get them!
THANKS
Kelley

aphil
09-03-2001, 07:10 PM
Hi all,
Welcome Kelley! Don't sell yourself short-17 pounds lost is a good amount of weight! Go to the store and pick up about that amount in flour bags-it's more than you think!;)
Sadie-YOU ARE SO CLOSE!!!! I am so happy for you! In a week or two, you will be a hundred something instead of two hundred something!!!! You will feel so good on that day!!!
I hope you are right about my son, he is making me crazy. I haven't been able to excercise as much as normal, I did take a walk with him in the stroller today though. I just keep telling myself in a couple months he will be sitting alone and be able to play with baby toys and occupy himself a bit better.
Well, I hear him-better go!;)
Have a good one!
Amy
Aphil

willbethin
09-04-2001, 08:40 AM
hey guys, i just got caught up on everyones posts. cant beleive how well you all are doing. we are doing it girls. the scales are moving, my weigh ins are thurs morn, so i hope i can see a loss.

i was at the shore. i didnt really count points, kinda ate what i wanted but alot less of it, oh i also had some cocktails. but i feel i didnt overdo it which is a miracle when i am at the shore. smelling all that food on the boardwalk, although i think my allergies are helping me, because some days my nose is stuffy, and i cant smell so well. food is just not as appealing i f you cant smell it.

glad to hear we are all sticking to our healthy eating plans.

aphil, sorry to hear about baby. i guess that can be very frustrating, i taught 2 1/2 yrs old and up. and the only experience i have had with babies, i s my own dd. and she was a breeze.

i used to put her in her infant seat, with a pacifier, and took her in the bathroom with me when i took a shower, i kept peeking my head out of the curtain and talking to her. playing peek a boo. it wasn't a very relaxing shower, but it worked.

then i just found, that taking a shower at night worked a lot better. i put her to sleep, then took a shower, but hubby was home by then. i am sure it is only temporary, but you better nip it in the bud early, the longer you spend with him the harder it will be to separate later.

listen to me, my dd and i are always together, but when she was little i could always do something she wasnt that attached, and lullaby music and a pacifier for sleepy time, worked wonders. i know i didnt want a pacifier either, but she only ever had it when she took naps and at night. never walked around with it hanging out of her mouth. then when she was 3 the pacifer fairy came and took it and left her a present. and that was that. of course that was the end of naptimes. but she was tired from no naps and fell asleep with no problems at 7:00 at night.

geez you miss one weekend on the computer and you cant stop typing. nice to talk to you all again.

welcome atkhorses. yes we are very supportive to each other, it helps alot.

southern gal
09-04-2001, 06:43 PM
Hi girls! Gotta run back up to school for Open House tonight (makes for a long work day) so I'll keep it short (for once!).

Welcome atkhorses! I've sent the WW computer sheet that I use. Hope it helps. Sounds like you are doing well so far!

And it sounds like everyone is having a good week! Way to go girls. I'm pulling for us!

Southern Gal

atkhorses
09-04-2001, 09:53 PM
Hay Southern Gal,
thanks for sending the sheets; I'll look for them in the email box! My kids have been in school since Aug. 9th. Can you believe that?? We have one monday off per month, tho and 2 weeks for spring break; one spring, one winter break. It's a lot, It's also Catholic School, what can I say!!

Are we all taking a multi-vitamin here to help with energy and binges?? I'm having a tough time today with cravings. Just need to get moving and get OUT of the house!! I know what I need to do, just can't seem to DO it!!

Good Luck wiht the Open House tonight.

Gotta run get my kiddos in bed

Kelley

aphil
09-04-2001, 10:35 PM
Hi all,
Been an okay day....
Didn't binge or anything, so that has been good. Cake supply company called me today and told me the pan I ordered for my daughter's party is out of stock, and every other place I called or logged on to is out also. I even called Wilton and they won't be shipping any anywhere until next month! AAAHHHHHHH!!
So-looks like me and my mother in law are going to have to make a regular cake along with the cupcakes and pipe the characters freehand........we can do it but it will sure be a pain.
Kelley/Horses-I don't know about the rest, but I do take a multivitamin, and a calcium supplement. A lot of vitamins only contain a litle calcium, if any-so I take extra. The ones for women seem to have more in them than regular vitamins.
I am proud of myself-yesterday my husband came home from his grandmother's, and brought a big container of her chicken and noodles...I only had 1/2 cup! That is like unheard of for anyone in our family not to eat them until we are all sick or asleep!:^:
Well, better go-hope you are doing well.
Aphil

southern gal
09-05-2001, 11:20 PM
Hi girls!

Aphil, you must be much more creative than I am! Good luck with the cake. (My sister just made a "Mad Hatter's" teapot cake for her daughter's birthday party. It looked great but I couldn't even figure out how to cut the thing when she asked me to serve!!!) I'm sure your daughter will be happy with whatever you do.

atkhorses, I got an e-mail delivery error message on the stuff I sent you - something about it not being a "local host" if you have any idea what that means. Sorry! The message is still on my computer so if you have any idea how we can bypass it let me know.

I've been really faithful about my walking but I've got to work on these afternoon snacking binges. It is not overly effecting me since when you add up all the calories, I'm still fairly close to my limit, but I know this junk I'm eating is not good for me. And somehow, after a long day at school, I just don't want the healthy stuff. Ugh! I'm working on it!!!

Enough griping. If I want to lose this weight badly enough, I'll overcome this.

Girls, have a good one!

Southern Gal

aphil
09-06-2001, 11:08 AM
Hey,
Southern Gal-if you can get the directions for that Mad Hatter cake, I would love to have it! You can e-mail it to me at aphil@angelfire.com.
I have a Disney store catalog that sells an Alice costume-that would be an awesome party theme for next year! My mother in law and I have both taken pro cake classes, and both sew and do all kinds of crafts-I am the only 25 year old I know who chrochets better than an old woman! ha ha ha!
I ahve been eating okay this week, but the scale went back up a pound!:(
I don't know what is up!
I need to stop getting on the scale each day, and limit it to once a week, if I can.
Well, we can do this girls-just need to hear one of Willbethin's pep talks! ha ha!
Take care,
Aphil

atkhorses
09-06-2001, 01:17 PM
Hi SouthernGal,
Thanks for trying, I haven't heard of that error message before, low and behold I get error messages, too!! I'm not that pc literate, so Ill just send you my email addy again and maybe it will go through. thanks,
atkhorses@ev1.net
I'll write more later ladies, planning the kids' costumes for the pet parade at the end of the month. Theme: Toy Story!!
Have a great day, maybe the shopping will keep me out of the kitchen
atk

willbethin
09-06-2001, 04:20 PM
i just caught up on everyone's posts. we seem to have everything under control.

i eat snacks a junk food too. but i just eat less of it and stay within my food points. and it is working. my weigh in for this morning is 3 lbs down. i am 176 now. that is 13 lbs gone.

aphil, that one pound can be gone the next day if you just stay on program for one day and drink lots of water. it is probably off by now. congrats on that noodle thing, i know i could have eaten a whole bowl of that stuff. but not anymore. i cant believe you can do all that stuff, i cant sew either. just not handy with my hands. and my daughter really wants to learn how to sew.

my dd started school yesterday, boy was that emotional.

:( and she only goes for a half day. i am babysitting one child now. and i really havent been feeling too good. allergies and sinus infection. so i havent been on computer.

well girls, we can do this. remember if we want junk we can have it, just have to measure it out, stay within points, or calories, we are allowed to have each day. oh yea and if we eat junk alot, it will just take us longer to lose the weight. but we cannot give up or deprive ourselves of any food.

a few examples: i eat tator tots, but i eat the serving, of 13 tator tots for 3 points, i eat bacon for one points a slice, i just eat two slices. i can eat 1/2 cup of reg. vanilla ice cream, if i want for 4 points.

my point is we can have anything we want just less of it. that is how thin people do it. i see them eat everything, but not as much. they can just order a slice of pizza, and stop. i know i will be hungry after one slice so i eat a salad with it and a cup of soup that is one point for the soup and 4 points for a slice and a one point salad dressing. or no points soup with it. oh and dont forget excercise and water.

lets go girls, i want to see those scales moving. although we are all doing well.

southern gal
09-06-2001, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone!

Gotta a newsletter to finish for tomorrow so I'm reading posts in a hurry tonight!

aphil, I'll get my sister to send the directions for the mad hatter's cake. It really was cute - all I can tell you was that it was two bowl cakes put together and she had rice crispy treats for the handle. I'll get in touch with her and let you know. I love to sew and do cross stitch but I'm not a very creative cook!

atkhorses, I'm resending the WW sheet. Let me know if you get it this time!

willbethin, sending kids to school is tough (I cried after I dropped my oldest son off for his first day at middle school this year!) but you are really doing well with the weight loss. Good for you! I don't weigh in until Saturday - wish me luck!

Have a good one, ladies!
southern gal

aphil
09-07-2001, 01:20 PM
Hi all,
Horses-hope your costumes turn out good! I love doing stuff like that. My children are 1/4 Sioux Indian, so next year I want to make them Native American costumes for Halloween, I just don't have the time this year.
Southern Gal-I'm looking forward to the cake directions. If you want an easy Halloween treat for the kids that's not too hard-make witch hats-put fudge stripe cookies stripe side down, and put a dab of chocolate icing on the bottom of a Hershey's kiss and stick it on top. Then you can buy a tube of the ready made icing in the tube in orange or purple, and with the thin tip make a little bow-poof! A witch hat! Look through Family Circle magazines, and things like that, they have all kinds of ideas-I just tear them out, and have a file for them, then when I have a holiday coming up I just get it out for ideas. I like cross-stitch, too-I do the ones you put in a frame, but not pillowcases or bibs-I can never get the back to look neat enough!:^:
Willbethin-thanks for the pep talk! Great, as always!
Well guys-I have run into a little problem I thought I'd tell you about. My recent pregnancy has really taken a lot out of me- and it has caused some side effects-I have been losing a lot of hair. It is not real noticable when my hair is styled, but when it is wet, it is, and every day for the last 2 weeks after doing my hair, I have been counting anywhere from 20-40 in the sink. I went to the doctor, and am taking strong vitamins with a lot of iron, I have to eat more calories for the time being, and I am starting rogaine to help combat the loss until my system returns to normal. So for the next few weeks, I probably won't be losing any, but striving to stay the same and not gain. I will still be posting, and keeping up my exercise, and limiting my junk food, and see if there is any improvement. She said stress is probably playing a factor also, so I will be relaxing a bit more, and trying not to worry so much about things. Wish me luck so I can get back on the losing track soon!;)
Hear from you all soon!
Aphil

sadiegirl
09-07-2001, 01:53 PM
Aphil; I hope your sise effects soon eliminate themselves with the vitamins you are on and change in diet. Things will work out I am sure.
Hope everyone else is fine.

atkhorses
09-07-2001, 11:48 PM
Hi Ladies,
Aphil-- sorry to hear about your temporary hold-ups. My advice to you is to try and enjoy your life with your little ones while they are little. Mine are still little, too. I have had some 'days' in the past and probably will have many more. But, I've learned that when I take more time to play with them, really listen to them or even (heaven forbid) EAT with them, it really makes me feel better and they tend to listen and feel better, too. It is stressful to be a mommy, especially when you do it right! It takes so much energy, which some days we just don't have. I can relate. This weight-loss thing just adds to the stress. I can't remember a day, maybe my wedding day, when I have saved myself the stress of thinking 'man, I need to lose some weight'. It seems I say it everytime I look in the mirror and it get s me down.
I've been going to a gym for over a year now and it took me a good 6 months to really get into a routine with it--but, I feel so much better. I rarely get on the scales--as I'd still be too scared to do that. I have good days and horrible days with my eating. Usually, it's when I'm tired and haven't gotten enough sleep; after I've had sick kids, etc. My thinking is this: I would love to lose 30 pounds, but, I also feel so much better since I've been working out. It's a stress reliever for me. AND, the BIGGY, I have the patience to play, work and just be a mom for my kiddos. Which, by the end of the day, is quite a feat!!! But I feel so much better that I actually listened to my kids instead of falling into that routine answer which I found myself doing. SOOOO, if I don't lose the 30 right away, at least I am feeling better about myself. I think that phrase of 'getting as thin as my wedding day' takes a toll on myself and many others.
You have a baby which requires a lot of attention, my youngest is 2.5 yo. (I have a 5 and 8 yo, too!), but I remember those days of doing everything for a small one. You can do it--Have fun with it--they need you!
I hope you feel better soon
Kelley

atkhorses
09-07-2001, 11:54 PM
Southern Gal,
Thanks for the sheets; they made it to me. You've had a busy week it sounds like. Have a nice weekend

I'm in a rut. I know I'm new to the list, but just had to bring up a disturbing time for myself and wondered if this hits any of you gals.....It's the monthly cycle.....doom for me! O get these terrible cravings 10 days before the onset. This month has been especially bad. I wondered if anyone has ever tried the natural progesteron cream? I've heard about if for a few years , but never given it a try. It's about the ONLY thing I haven't tried. I also get a really sore lower back which makes me wonder because I do exercise 3-4 times/week and stretch. Have really become a stretcher because I feel my joints becoming stiff as each B-day passes! Just wondered if anyone had any solutions. I'm on a PMS list, can you believe it?? DESPERATE this month!

Well, I'm off to a very hot bath and heating pad afterwards. Oh, and I'm not even going to look in the mirror; it's like I said to Aphil, everytime I look in that thing I just beat myself up over the weight I know I need to lose.
Not trying to whine here, just wondered if anyone can relate,,,
Kelley

willbethin
09-08-2001, 07:51 AM
hi guys, just stopped in for a minute, i am headed to the shore.

aphil, i didnt know you were pregnant, sorry for missing that. i thought you werent suppose to lose weight while you were pregnant?? i hope you feel better and just concentrate on that. you will have plenty of time to lose after you have the baby.

love the posts about enjoying your kids, so true.

i too have really bad pms. and lower back pain. but i did notice after losing a little bit of weight last month back pain wasnt that bad. i just take tylenol and try to rest when i can. i also stand in the shower and bend over and let the hot water shower beat on my lower back. now the cravings?? they are really unbearable for me, and really not sure i have a solution for them. i just try to give myself one or two day, not necesserily in a row, to just pig out. but i try to control it the other days. i know it is pms and i just give myself a day or two to go nuts. but i still excercise and drink my water. this is what i do , not telling you, you should do this. and the couple pounds that i gain from water or my pms cravings, is gone the next week, cause i really go strict on my healthy eating program. just wanted to tell you i feel what you go through.

well i hope i dont blow it going down the shore, there will be plenty of food and drinks, at my husbands company picnic.

oh just to tell you all i am still human, i did go over points yesterday and i feel i might today. but my weigh in is not till thurs. morn, so i will try to make up for it. i have come to far to go backwards, i will not gain back the 13 lbs i just lost. lets do it girls. and enjoy life.

aphil
09-08-2001, 03:31 PM
Hi all,
Willbethin-sorry if I wasn't clear enough-I'm not pregnant, I had a baby 5 months ago. I was a gestsational diabetic (diabetic when pregnant) and it causes very large babies (10-4, and 9-4,respectively) and it takes a lot more out of you. I am also anemic (low blood count) and I also nursed both of them the first few months. All of that and the stress I have been under has just taken too much out of me, I guess.
They said the hair should return in time, I just have to take better care of myself for a little while.
Kelley-thank you so much for the support and kind words. I really do try to do it all for my kids and my husband, and i have to realize I can't anymore. I am going to watch what I eat, but eat a bit more until I am feeling more rested and less stressed! I will just avoid mirrors! ha ha
Kelley, I also have bed pms and cravingsmostly for chocolate and carbs, but that goes along with my blood sugar also. It's terrible to crave the bad stuff, but I find if I eat a bit of it when I first want it, I eat less of it than if I try not to eat it-I almost always end up binging.
Well, better go for now,
Take care
Aphil

southern gal
09-08-2001, 11:28 PM
Hi girls!

Everyone seems a little down this weekend! Brighten up girls, take it one day at a time, and be thankful for every small blessing!

Aphil, I'm sure the things you are going through will pass in time. Having little ones at home is stressful but Kelley is right - enjoy them while they are small! Take care of yourself and take care of the kids but quit beating yourself up over not being perfect or having the time to do everything. It is not humanly possible and you will drive yourself crazy trying to do it all. Been there and done that - it's not worth it, and in the long run, you'll get to a point where you are too unhappy to be good for anyone. ( I know, I had that mindset when Rhys and Drew were babies - I had to be the perfect mom and wife and have the perfect house - and I only made myself miserable. It took me a while to realize that I wasn't helping the kids or my husband or myself with my attitude - and that by trying to be perfect and going ballistic when it wasn't, I was only harming the very people I was trying to be perfect for! No one is perfect - just enjoy life as it is handed to you and make the best of it!) Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing. This group is pulling for you!!!

These days, I enjoy the time I have with my kids and husband and feel blessed for all the memories we are building. No, my house is not always clean, I too often pick up dinner rather than cook, and I say "sorry, but no, I can't be on that committee right now" a lot more often than I ever used to. But, I have a great time with my kids and I figure I'll have time enough for a clean house when they move out of it!

I left the beds unmade and dishes in the sink this morning to go fishing with the rest of my family. (Okay, so we didn't catch any fish but I wouldn't have given anything for seeing the grin on Rhys' face when he jumped the wake on that wakeboard of his for the first time today!)

Kelley, don't know any cures for the pms stuff. Those cravings really get to me and I cave in to them all too often. Hang in there! I always tell myself, "this too will pass" and just do the best I can.

Willbethin, hope you had a great time at the company picnic! And one day is not going to make any huge difference in the long run. It is only when we keep eating too much day after day after day that is begins to tell on us. Enjoy your day and don't worry about it. You'll be back on track tomorrow. You are doing too well to do otherwise!

By the way girls, today was weigh in day for me - down another 2 pounds!!! Yeah!!!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Laura

aphil
09-09-2001, 02:14 PM
Hi Ladies,
Just letting you know that after 5 pages and a gazillion posts, I am starting a new thread for us, so new people don't have to go through all of it before they can post! It will be "Doin it the old fashioned way #2".
Make sure to check the box after your first post so you will get your email notices of new posts to this thread!
Aphil