Old 02-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #1  

Default Pcos

I have been bouncing around looking for a diet that will help my pcos. That is the reason I have a hard time deciding which plan to follow.
I am TTCing and need to regulate my hormones.

I am really thinking of Atkins.
I have the book. and am reading it now.

Does anyone have pcos?
treecricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184

I do I do!! I gained a massive amount of weight with PCOS. And most diets don't work for me. I tried WW but I was a royal well you know. My body went wacko and I was so mean. I'm anxious to see what the gals have to say.

ETA: I just thought about something...we work with endocrinoligists (sp) that can get you back on track. They will work with you to find the foods specific to your needs. Also I was told to eat free-range meats because they do not contain the hormones that feed the cysts.
~Kristen~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Yup....and low carb is about the only thing that keeps my pcos under control. Atkins, protein power, or any other lc program that will get your hormones under control.

As for eating free range, Ive never heard of that, kinda makes me laugh too. Start with the basics and what you have control over....every day choices, get the ball rolling, then make changes as you need.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kristen~

ETA: I just thought about something...we work with endocrinoligists (sp) that can get you back on track. They will work with you to find the foods specific to your needs. Also I was told to eat free-range meats because they do not contain the hormones that feed the cysts.
I dont have money for special doctors; or any doctors for that matter , right now.

Now I dont know if I should do atkins?
treecricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Yup....and low carb is about the only thing that keeps my pcos under control. Atkins, protein power, or any other lc program that will get your hormones under control.

As for eating free range, Ive never heard of that, kinda makes me laugh too. Start with the basics and what you have control over....every day choices, get the ball rolling, then make changes as you need.

I'm sorry that it was funny My OB really told me to eat free-range meats. They do not have hormones. It has helped tremdously.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecricket
I dont have money for special doctors; or any doctors for that matter , right now.

Now I dont know if I should do atkins?

Atkins has worked wonders on many people I know. I say give it a go. I understand your prediciment with docs. That is why I have not gone to an endo. Can't afford it. I hope atkins works for you. Just make sure you get your blood drawn...the atkins is know to raise tryglecirites which cause heart attacks.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #7  
Lovin' Life

Kristen....pls dont take offence. I didnt mean to and I apologize.

That was the first I had heard about it, and to be honest I havent done any research on pcos in over 9yrs. I found out everything I needed to know about pcos by myself. My dr at the time told me there was nothing I could do. Just deal with it and go on weight watchers. He could diagnose me with it, but told me he couldnt treat it.(I was originally diagnosed 21yrs ago) So......I hit the internet, library, and book stores looking for everything I could get my hands on. I did it myself, so you know that you can too treecricket.

Get yourself started, and if you do not notice any changes in your symptoms within 2 cycles, do your best to see a dr.

Things I have noticed when lc'ing (in relation to pcos)
~ facial hair grows in much slower
~ periods are monthly (never happened before in my life!!)
~ dark spots on my face are lighter (my chin)
~ hair on my head doesnt fall out nearly as fast!!
~ skin tags aren't itchy
~ libido is active, and wonderful
~ blood pressure is normal!
~ moods are much more stable

I hope this helps
Old 02-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #8  

I have PCOS. I really feel that I owe the successful pregnancy with my son, Jamie to Atkins. I did fertility treatments for 3 years. I had 6 miscarriages during that time. Most of the time I would get pregnant while dieting and lose the baby when i stopped. I stopped because I thought dieting would harm the baby. Ironic, huh? Anyway, while I was doing Atkins I had better follicle checks and my insulin resistance (and later diabetes) was under control. The last treatment I had I stuck to the diet after getting my positive pregnancy test. I didn't have the easiest pregnancy in the whole world, but my little Jamie is here safe and sound. Good luck!!
LaurAnnHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:43 PM   #9  

I have early pcos and am having a terrible time losing weight, I am doing ww and loved it before. I had a baby 9 months ago after 4 years, three fai9led pregnancies, 5 Artificaill inseminations, my fallopian tubes being injected with die and my uterus being scraped, plus teh two d n c to complete the first and third miscarriage.
If you ladies would like to form a board where we can talk, and support each other lpm me and I will start the thread.
Tara
bgbrwnys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:32 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Kristen....pls dont take offence. I didnt mean to and I apologize.

That was the first I had heard about it, and to be honest I havent done any research on pcos in over 9yrs. I found out everything I needed to know about pcos by myself. My dr at the time told me there was nothing I could do. Just deal with it and go on weight watchers. He could diagnose me with it, but told me he couldnt treat it.(I was originally diagnosed 21yrs ago) So......I hit the internet, library, and book stores looking for everything I could get my hands on. I did it myself, so you know that you can too treecricket.

Get yourself started, and if you do not notice any changes in your symptoms within 2 cycles, do your best to see a dr.

Things I have noticed when lc'ing (in relation to pcos)
~ facial hair grows in much slower
~ periods are monthly (never happened before in my life!!)
~ dark spots on my face are lighter (my chin)
~ hair on my head doesnt fall out nearly as fast!!
~ skin tags aren't itchy
~ libido is active, and wonderful
~ blood pressure is normal!
~ moods are much more stable

I hope this helps

It is okay It sounds weird until it was all put into perspective for me as well. The hormones that are pumped into these animals are the same that the cysts feed off of.

And I'm still trying to figure out PCOS....I went from 125 to 184 in a matter of a year in a half. It happened soooo fast. ALL my life I was thin. I hate this with all my heart. Nothing has worked. I"m hoping by being here it will help me and give me the motivation I need to get through this "little" speed bump in my life.

Robyn...isn't funny how they don't really clue you in to what is going on with our bodies? My ob told me at the age of 20 that I would not be able to have a baby without IVF....I'm now 25 and have a happy healthy 16 month old. But, they called DH into the room and everything to discuss our options. I felt useless. After having Hannah PCOS was under control but I'm afraid she is making a comeback *sigh*
Old 02-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #11  
Lovin' Life

Tara~ here is the pcos support board on 3fc http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

No they dont Kristen. It seems everyone has the same types of symptoms, but everyone reacts different to different things. Its almost as if you have to go trial and error, to see what works for you.........then keep doing it. I went from 200 right after my dd was born to over 300 within 6months....talk about freaked out!! I kept telling the dr on my visits, that Im craving sugar, why??? Ive never craved it like that before, I dont know how many loaves of bread with butter and sugar I ate and coke classic! They didnt have any answers Thank heavens I fixed it myself
Old 02-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #12  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I was diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago. I think without doing Atkins I'd be a hopeless basket case! There's tons of PCOS information at http://www.soulcysters.com (I THINK this is the address)

Kristen,
I've heard the hormone/meat thing too. It's really hard to find "TRUE" free-range beef around here. The natural food store around me sells their own beef and I KNOW it's not truly free range. It's a very interesting topic

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:27 AM   #13  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I was total low carb when I finally talked my MD into checking me as weight facial hair and many other factors sould like I fit in. but the tests they did (they laughed at me when I went it) was very superficial and well I turned out normal. and I changed MD's and never went back to get tested.

But to make a long story shorter. there are many success stories here from low carb and PCOS.
Try it what have you got to lose?? if it does not help then you just lost that if ti does then the whole world opens up. As for the free range well That would be ideal but this world is not ideal, you do with what you can.
nasus40 is offline   Reply With Quote