Paganchicks - Beltane Challenge

View Full Version : Beltane Challenge

Mummy_Tummy
02-20-2006, 04:19 AM
I've started a challenge with some of the ladies on my Pagan site. Beltane is exactly 10 weeks a way today. My personal challenge is to lose 2 pounds a week for a total of 20 pounds by Sunday, April 30th. We're weighing in on Sundays. I wonder if anyone here wants to go for it, as well? You see, my husband and I are leading the open Beltane Ritual and so it seems a perfect time to reveal a slimmer me!

It's funny but since I've gotten the digital scale, I am obsessed with weighing myself every morning. I know you're not supposed to do it but honestly, it motivates me. For instance, I've lost 4 ounces since yesterday morning and those ounces would have been unnoticeable on a different scale. Knowing they were gone made it very easy to pass on a bag of crisps for breakfast this morning and instead have 30g of Special K instead. I'm not very competitive when it comes to other people but I am very competitive with myself, if that makes any sense at all.:dizzy:

PhatPhoenix
02-21-2006, 10:31 AM
What a great idea! Be a great incentive to get some new ritual clothes, too! We're medieval re-enactors and DH is having to make me an entire new UK size 12 outfit as my old ones (18) are no use anymore! I've been thinking of making something especially good for Beltane - I'll join you! If I can lose this last 7lb or so, be a lovely excuse to have some nice new Beltane clothes!

(Just thinking even at size 12 you wouldn't catch me skyclad!)

Mummy_Tummy
02-21-2006, 01:48 PM
My reward is gonna be some sexy lingerie. I figure my husband deserves a treat just as much as I do for putting up with me all this time!:D

Now let's see if I can figure out how to make my new tickers appear...

Mummy_Tummy
02-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah! So yeah, I'm 3 pounds in to my Beltane challenge already! Go me!

oh_surfr
02-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Great idea! I'm always looking for ways to trick my brain when it comes to weight loss. I don't know about anyone else, but when you sit there with your goal looking you in the face that number just begins to feel bigger than you. I like to find ways to break it down. I like to say to myself 2lbs a week, feels like less work. I'm in on this challenge! Good luck ladies! :carrot:

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-retro/cartoonfish01/lb/205/145/205/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

Morgaine
02-21-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey there...can I join your Beltane challenge? April 30 is my birthday and Beltane has always been a special event for me. I'm pretty sure I was 166 thispast Sunday - so I'll have that be my starting weight for the challenge.

I started losing weight on 01/02/06 (179) and was aiming to be 135 by 4/30, but I had about 3 weeks of not losing anything and I'm pretty far behind my targeted rate of losing - so I don't know what a reasonable goal is for me now.

Anyway, Merry Meet!

Mummy_Tummy
02-22-2006, 03:23 AM
Morgaine, where ya from in Ohio? I'm from Cincinnati, originally. I live in England now, though.

I'm still losing ounces a day. Each little victory just motivates me all over again. I even yelled for my husband to come and see the scale this morning, me skyclad and all. Not that he doesn't see me naked, I just don't normally parade about like that in the buff but I was just so excited!:carrot:

Yucky, it's cold and wet this morning and if I didn't have to walk (school run), I'd stay home. I'm so glad I'm forced to get ths exercise!

Morgaine
02-22-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Mummy Tummy - I'm from the northeast portion of Ohio - south of Cleveland - so I'm not from your neck of the woods.

oh_surfr
02-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Ahhh...so there are some Ohio (or ex-Ohio) girls in the room. :hug: Mummy Tummy, I'm from and am currently residing in Cincinnati. When did you move to England?

Mummy_Tummy
02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
I moved here just over 2 years ago. My husband is English so I came here to be with him. I'm from the West side of Cincy. How about you?

oh_surfr
02-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Ahhh...I'm an east sider. Anderson area to be a bit more exact. I won't hold it against you that you're an ex- west side girl. :devil:

StargazerJMK
02-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Oh, I'd like to join this challenge. :spin: I could do 20 pounds by Beltane. That would be wonderful. So, count me in. Monday is my official weigh in, so that will have to do, on Monday I was 187. :wave:

Diva_at_40
02-25-2006, 08:56 AM
I would love to join the Beltane challenge, as well! Looking forward to cheering you all on!

Mummy_Tummy
02-26-2006, 04:41 AM
As of last Sunday, I weighed 170.6. Today, one week later, I now weigh 166.6!!!!!!!!!! FOUR POUNDS!!!!!!! Now, I know some of that was because I weighed myself in clothes on the first day and have gone skyclad since then but I'm taking credit for losing at least 2 pounds of it through sheer willpower, hard work and determination!:carrot:

My greatest victory this week has been mastering the urge to eat from booredom. You know that mindless grazing we do without even really thinking about it? One bit here, one bit there and before you know it, alot of empty calories have gone into your body that you're not even really aware of. It's not gone completely, I still have those urges but I'm gaining control of myself and I love that most of all.

My biggest battle was with a chocolate bar at the video store on Friday night. I lost! Total impulse buying and eating but I'll tell you what I've determined. If you have those moments, when you cave in for a naughty treat, do NOT scarf it down without tasting it, afraid someone will see you. No, the best way is to eat it slowly and savor it. I mean, you're adding the calories anyway, aren't you? Might as well enjoy it. And when you allow yourself to savor like that, it makes it less important next time to have a hidden snack. It's a huge shift in thinking that actually makes alot of sense. Don't be a guilt-eater, feeling bad about everything you eat because that fuels depression and a "might as well eat what I want now because I've blown it" mentality. I had the choccy, I enjoyed it thoroughly and then it made my determination to stay on the bandwagon that much stronger. Funny my epiphany was delivered via chocolate when that's not even my problem area! Oh well!

I can't believe how much more energetic I feel. I've been bouncing around all weekend. I'm sure alot of it is because mentally, I'm feeling very successful. But I can tell that some of it is from really having more energy. 8 pounds gone in two weeks! It's probably that I'm eating a much healthier diet that gives me more fuel naturally. I've increased veggies by a ridiculous amount. Over half of my dinner plate anymore is a mix of vegetables and I sometimes eat a bowl full of hot veggies for lunch. But I'm making better choices about everything, including limiting portion sizes of wholegrain pastas and breads. If I have a sandwhich, I use one slice of wholemeal bread instead of two. When I have potatoes (new red potatoes), I just have a very small portion. And I've increased the amount of water I drink, as well.

I'm just feeling really good an for the first time like I can really do it!

oh_surfr
02-26-2006, 12:13 PM
Way to go Mummy Tummy!!! :carrot: Congratulations on the loss!

I hadn't weighed myself in about 2 weeks. Busy preparing for a new job I'm about to start tomorrow, busy planning a wedding, just busy in general. I got on the scale today to weigh myself as part of this Beltane challenge and I about fell off of my scale. My starting weight was 205 and I'm down to 196!9 pounds in 2 weeks! Ladies, all I can tell you is DRINK YOUR WATER!!! Honestly, I hadn't changed much else about my diet. I starting walking my dog as part of a little exercise for the both of us and made the very rough decision to cut back my soda and sweet tea intake. I went back to drinking lots of water. When I was in high school and doing a lot of singing with choirs and things, the rule was that the amount of water we needed to drink to not only be hydrated enough to live but to also keep our vocal cords healthy was to take our weight, divide that number in half and that was the number of ounces of water to drink that day. If nothing else it encouraged you to try and keep your weight down so you wouldn't have to drink as much water...lol. I've been getting very close to that goal each day and I really think that's what's been a huge factor in my loss.

We're on our way ladies! Keep the weight loss coming!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-retro/cartoonfish01/lb/205/145/196/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

Mummy_Tummy
02-26-2006, 01:51 PM
My starting weight was 205 and I'm down to 196!9 pounds in 2 weeks!
Oh that's totally amazing! Yeah! I'm so happy for you!:carrot:

Yes, I totally agree, water is so important. It's probably the key to weight loss. At least it has been for me.

How's everyone else doing?

Morgaine
02-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Hi there! I was 163.5 this Sunday (yesterday) - so I'm 2.5 pounds down.

StargazerJMK
02-28-2006, 12:38 AM
I had a not so good week last week, I was up 2.5 pounds :( but today I was down a full pound. :dancer: Sooo, I'm on my way. 167 by Beltane :flame: here I come!

Jenniep
03-01-2006, 07:13 AM
I'd like to join this challenge too, I've only just joined this forum and was sooooo surprised and happy to find this section for paganchicks. I started my diet yesterday hoping that the new moon would help me along, but with the idea of not giving up until at least Beltaine.
Jennie

CynthiaB
03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi ladies! Do you mind if I join in your challenge? I belong to another great support group on 3fc, but I also like checking in with the Paganchicks and this Beltane challenge sounded like exactly what I needed! I like to break up my weight loss goals into little ones, and using the Sabbats as goals is a great idea, really fits in with the Wheel.

I lost 2 pounds last week (my weigh-ins are Saturdays). I'll change my signature soon to keep up with the mini-challenge.

Lisa: You are absolutely correct about the water! I'm so bad about actually taking my own advice, but I know it works.

Talk to you later! - Cindy

Mummy_Tummy
03-05-2006, 05:11 AM
Well, I've made no progress but I haven't gained either. Boring! Actually, I've had a bit of a bad week so I feel that just by not gaining, I've achieved something!

Challenges - Depo! Whether physical or mental reaction to the jab, I began craving any and everything! I had tons of red beans and rice on Tuesday, fish n chips on Friday and 2 bottles of red wine (split 3 ways at least) at a little pizzeria in London last night. Oh, also had a delicious pizza but chose toppings well...artichokes, anchovies, black olives. Finished with splitting a fudge toffee ice cream sundae with my friend, though. Come to think of it, I don't believe we even finished the dessert between the two of us as Seri polished off the last of it!

Victories - Not gaining this week despite falling off the wagon several times! Going back to bellydance classes (which will hopefully be twice a week from now on).

Result - need to seriously push myself this week in the exercise department. Must definitely be better about my eating which should be easier as I have stocked up on healthy snacks and meals.

CynthiaB
03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
I didn't gain or lose last week, either. It's better than gaining, but I'd rather lose! My monthly friend is visiting this week, but I hate using that as an excuse. I am drinking more water this week and I know that will help.

I went grocery shopping on Monday and they say to stay on the outside perimeters of the store, as the stuff in the inner aisles is more processed and not as healthy. Well, I went inside the aisles only for cleaning supplies, so my house is full of healthy stuff. I've been having sweet cravings the last couple of nights, and it's amazing how fruit will satisfy that craving. Fresh pineapple rules! My 18-month-son and I can polish one off in about 15 minutes!

Hope everyone else is doing well on the challenge. When does everyone else weigh in? I weigh on Saturdays.

Cindy B.

StargazerJMK
03-08-2006, 10:34 PM
FINALLY! I have good news. 2 pounds gone... bye bye... :cheer: Only 18 more to go!

Mummy_Tummy
03-09-2006, 02:49 AM
I'm totally depressed. I was losing weight with relative ease up until last week. I do understand it comes off easier in the early days but this is ridiculous! Is it coincidence that I had the Depo jab on last Tuesday and that's when the weight got stubborn again? My practice nurse tells me in one breath that weight gain on Depo is only nominal, like 4 pounds. And then the next week she says that if I had any symptoms like pains in my arms or legs or excessive weight gain, I should come off it. Nobody EVER said that to me before I started having the jab! I was at the tail end of my last 3 month cycle when I began to lose weight. I think it was because the Depo was wearing itself out of my system. If I were eating poorly and not exercising, I'd say it was just an excuse I was using but I know how hard I've been working and it's so disheartening to see the scale say the same thing, no matter what I do. I totally feel like giving up because what's the point?

CynthiaB
03-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Mummy: Don't give up! Yes, it comes off faster the first couple of weeks. But you will inevitably hit that stone wall where you think nothing is working no matter what you do. That's where your endurance comes in: you have to keep going, and you'll get back to losing.

Also remember, muscle weighs more than fat so if you're working out and strength training, you will not necessarily always see results on the scale. Lots of people find it helpful to take measurements so they can continue to see results even when the scale isn't budging.

Hang in there! I'm currently at a small plateau as well, but I'm not giving up and neither are you!

Cindy B.

oh_surfr
03-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Mummy Tummy-- I feel your pain. I didn't lose any weight this week either, but much like you, that's a miracle. I admittedly ate horribly this past week and did not work out at all. It was that time of the month and I just can't get myself motivated to do anything during that time, and all i want is chocolate. I haven't started out this week much better. I'm trying to end the week on a good note though. Can't beat yourself up for what happened yesterday, you can only work on today.

Mummy_Tummy
03-12-2006, 03:10 AM
YEAH! It's a small victory but it's a victory nonetheless. I've finally gotten to 165. I swear to the Goddess I never thought there'd be a day I'd celebrate weighing that but since the last 2 weeks have seen a yo-yo of the same dreaded 2 pounds, never lower than 166, I'm really, really excited to have finally broken the barrier! Since last Sunday I've lost 1.2 pounds. According to my flow chart, I'm behind in my goal by about 1 pound but I think as long as I'm seeing results, even if they're not as spectacular as I'd like, I'm very happy with that.

*pshewwwwww*

Thanks so much for the support. I do know that the healthy habits I'm establishing now are a life change I'm making, not just a diet til I hit my goal weight. I was just feeling down and you guys were there. I appreciate it!

Fuuny thing. I've been battling with this little cake called a Madeleine that they have at the local bakery. Yellow sponge covered in a raspberry coconut icing. Sort of looks like a coconut Zinger only more upscale, if you know what I mean. Normally, I don't have any trouble avoiding the sweets when I go in to buy my bread and Seri's gingerbread man but that little cake has haunted me for months and I kept resisting. Finally, I caved in abd bought one. It was not nearly as dreamy as I thought it would be so at least I don't have to worry about that anymore, hehe.

I've discovered several new favorite snacks. Well, olives have always been a fave but I really love dates and figs! The fig, obviously, tastes just like a Fig Newton but the texture of the actual fruit, as opposed to the biscuit/cookie, is chewier and even a little unpleasant. However, the taste is so nice that I very slowly nibble my through so it's a good snack in that I can't really gobble it down and still feel hungry. Oh yeah, I've been munching on almonds and hazelnuts, too. High in good fats and a recommended snack on the Sonoma/Mediterranean Diet. I try to reach for them instead of the crisps.

Still needing to up my exercise. I didn't go to dance class last week at all. Mondays are just gonna be too rushed to get there at 7:30. So I'll do Thursdays for now but this past Thursday, I just felt like having a snuggly evening at home with hubby. Obviously, I'm still walking which is good but I need to force myself to do more. Hard to motivate myself when at home, you know? Still needing to check the Leisure Center for prices for a pool pass. Not loving the idea of being in a bathing suit in public but swimming is good exercise and I just keep telling myself "but yeah, wait til they see your new figure in a few months".

How's everyone else doing?

Woodstock Cate
03-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Great work Mummy Tummy!!

I am going to jump on board for the Beltane Challenge and see how I do. I know how you feel about the weight loss. I weigh more than I ever have and I remember when I was at 163, and crying because I had jumped up past the 150's.

Last night I looked at some photos from a few years ago. I was really depressed. I know that in the majority of the photos, I was about 145. I looked so slim!

Everyone is telling me that the weight I gained this year is because of menopause, and that it is hard to lose that weight. My daughter even said she saw a segment on the news saying the weight put on during menopause will not come off with diet. That one must go to the gym and work out on equipment. I can't afford a gym at this time, and that depresses me so much.

I am going for a walk, and eating salads the rest of the day. I am also avoiding all carbs. Even though I am using the Sonoma diet, I don't think my body will like the cereals, breads, etc.

Hope I can post some success real soon!:carrot:

Morgaine
03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Just checking in. I've lost 8 pounds on the Beltane challenge so far. 20.5 pounds to go!

Mummy_Tummy
03-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Holy cow, Morgaine! That's really great! What sort of plan are you on? So far, I've lost 6. Maybe by tomorrow (my official weigh-in day) there may be a bit more to report. I've been so ill today that I haven't eaten anything but toast and broth. Wonder if that will go for or against me?

Woodstock Cate
03-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Why to go. So, how did you lose that much weight so far?

I just signed up at Gold's Gym. I know my biggest hurdle is moving my behind out the door!!

Blessings~Cate

Mummy_Tummy
03-19-2006, 04:50 AM
I've lost another pound. YEAH! It's not the 2 pounds a week I'd hoped for but it IS happening! So, 10 pounds in total and 6 of those since I started the Beltane Challenge.

I.RAN.FRIDAY.

Like, for no reason at all. I was coming home from having tea with a friend and I just started pushing the buggy faster and faster and next thing you know, I had run all the way home! Well, I slowed to a fast walk a few times to catch my breath but then, I'd say to myself, right at the end of that driveway, you're gonna run again. And I did! And then, after I picked up J from school, he and I ran all the way home (again, doing short bits of fast walking)! He's 6 and I wore him out! Now, it wasn't very far in the grand scheme of things but I bet it was over 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and before a week or so ago, I couldn't run from one end of the house to the other! My ankles, calves and shins muscles are paying for it but I'm so chuffed! While I was actually running, it felt really good. I think I could learn to love it but I do have to take into accont I have a bad ankle and lower back and running can be really hard on both.

Oh, my chest muscles are hurting too but I'm not sure whether that's from all the upper body work we did the other night in bellydance class or from all the bouncing I did by running without a proper support bra!

All I know is I'm starting to feel really good physically and I can only attribute it to eating clean, exercising more and losing weight. I can't remember the last time I've had so much energy!

I bought some vegetarian mince at the grocery store tonight. I'm gonna use it to make pumpkin chili tomorrow and stuffed peppers some time next week. I've been wanting to try it. I had to tear myself away from the vegetarian section of the grocery because I wanted to try everything! I think I'll just add one new item a week to make sure I like it before I spend a fortune on it. I definitely want to try the veggie burgers and sausages. I'm still trying to get brave enough to use tofu for a stir fry!

Woodstock Cate
03-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I think you shoud be really proud of your run. It is those little steps that we build upon to get to our goal. I have dreams that I am running and it is exquisite. The sense of freedom is very overpowering.

In real life, even before I was overweight, I could not attain that feeling. My shins hurt, my throat hurt, I was a mess. So, I opted for walking and yoga.
Lately, I have not done any of that and that is why I am in the shape that I am in at the moment.

I have not had a problem with food, all that much. There are plenty of times when I could make better choices. However, I am not a sweet eater, nor a fast food eater. I often forget to eat for hours in the morning, sometimes not eating until lunch. That, however, coupled with not exercising is the reason that I put on so much weight in the past two years.

Yesterday I officially signed the papers to join Gold's Gym and come Monday morning I will start my exercise program.:carrot:

Well I am off this morning to visit a Magick shop in another town with a new found friend. I have only been here for a month and half in Woodstock, so I don't know where any of the good bookstores, or shops are. I did find a yarn shop right down the street. I knit, crochet, weave, needlepoint, you name it, I do it, so finding the knit shop was great luck.

I lost a pound and half this week. :smug:

Blessings All~Cate

Morgaine
03-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks Mummy Tummy - I've been doing Atkins since 01/02/06. I'm still on the induction phase of the program. I tried increasing my carbs several times to go into the other phases - but my metabolism is very slow and weight loss grinds to a halt. I just basically eat salads and protein. Not much of a vegetable person - so all my veggies are whatever will go in a salad.

Woodstock Cate
03-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Greetings Goddesses of Fitness:

I am so glad to see the positive posts. It is very enlightening to read the words of all who are on this forum. I have learned a lot.

I joined Gold's Gym and I worked out this morning for the first time. I know that this is the first step toward fitness.

Mummy Tummy, I wish there was a :belly: class near me, I bet it is a lot of fun. Do you burn a lot of calories?

~Cate

CynthiaB
03-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Good evening ladies! I'm not doing so great on the challenge yet, I've gained a pound at this week's weigh-in. But I'm glad to hear of your successes and it's keeping me motivated!

Mummy: What is vegatarian mince? I hope you liked it, whatever it is! I like trying new healthy food items too, but I'm only a mediocre cook so sometimes new things don't always work out!

Cate: Wow, I used to live in Woodstock too! I lived there for about 3 years then moved to Tennessee last year, and now I'm back in the Atlanta area (Douglasville, not Woodstock). What a small world! What magick shop do you go to? There's a small cute one in Marietta and, of course, P&D in Sandy Springs is the best. I used to go to the Gold's Gym you belong to (if it's the one near the main street) until I moved. Our personal trainer was David, maybe you've met him if he's still there.

Well, not much time to type tonight, I'll check in later.

Cindy B.

StargazerJMK
03-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Just an update. I haven't had great news until recently, I started at 187 and I'm down to 182 now. I'm still hoping to be at 167 by Beltane... Congrats to those of you who are doing so well.

Blessed Be.

Mummy_Tummy
03-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Greetings, you pagan beauties!

Cate! Congratulations! How was your first workout? You know, it's never even occurred to me to join a gym. I'm not sure why I automatically ruled it out. I didn't even rule it out so much as...I just didn't think of it as an option. I may have to check out the local gyms. There is a leisure center nearby and I keep planning on trying to get some swimming in once or twice a week. I don't much like water (or being in public in a bathing suit) but I know swimming is great exercise for the whole body.

Bellydance is an amazing low-impact workout! Whether you are a serious dancer or doing it for weight loss, it works the whole body and leaves you with that yoga-y type feeling, all gently stretched and worked. Because so many of the moves are about isolating a small group of muscles and just working them, the energy and concentration built up is amazing. Watching someone bellydance, they don't seem to be working all that hard but when you're the one doing it, you can feel it everywhere! Ask around for a local class. Or buy a video and try it at home.;)

Morgaine, I'm glad Atkins is working so well for you. Do you find it easy to stick to the plan? I'm sure I couldn't follow it because I really need good carbs and feel very sluggish and icky without them. Plus I think I have a mental block about Atkins because of the ketone thing. I had to be hospitalized when I was pregnant because I was so ill that my body had gone into ketosis which was very much a negative thing at the time. I know it works for alot of people and I guess that's the real trick, finding a diet that works for you and that you can stick to.:) Sonoma and Mediterranean Diet principles are working beautifully for me.

Cynthia, vegetarian mince is a soy-based product that is a veggie substitute for ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey). I had it in pumpkin chili on Sunday (and left-overs on Monday) and I couldn't tell the difference. It has the same texture and eveything as ground meat. I didn't try it plain but I've heard it doesn't have much of a flavor on its own but picks up the flavor of the spices and stuff you add to it. It was a bit more pricey than ground beef but not too much. Definitely still budget-worthy. I'll be using that from now in in place of ground meat.

Stargazer, congrats on losing 5 pounds! That's really great! Have you said what plan you're using, if any?

Oh and Blessed Ostara to everyone (a day late astrologically speaking)!

Morgaine
03-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Hi Mummy Tummy -

The ketosis thing can be scary (and dangerous) when you are eating a normal diet with a moderate (or high) level of carbohydrates. It sounds liek you may have had a bout with gestational diabetes - yes? When diabetics hit ketosis is is a bad thing - in that case - it's probably called ketoacidosis.

But when low carbers are in ketosis - it's a normal thing. It just shows that ketones are being excreted and you are burning fat. I've been in ketosis for almost 80 solid days and I'm as healthy as can be. No worries there.

Ketosis is one of those areas that folks like to concentrate on to bash the low carb way of life, but it's easily misunderstood. There's a couple of chapters in Atkin's book that explain it - and in the last edition of the book, he actually said that perhaps he should have used the more accurate term of "lipolysis" instead of ketosis as it tended to cause confusion.

Anyway - more than you ever wanted to know about Atkins, eh?

You also said you really needed good carbs...well, that's what Atkins is. I basically cut out sugar and processed flour. Whole grains, wild rice and lots of veggies are a normal way of eating (after you've gone through your weoght loss phases). At first, you get all of your carbs from fresh vegetables, bu later on you can add in other things, fruits, healthy breads, etc...

I'd LOVE to find a place to learn to belly dance here. I think it's so sexy and looks like a fun way of exercising. Of course, DH would be all for spending money on the fantastic clothing that I'd be *required* to buy, LOL!

Have a nice day everyone!

Mummy_Tummy
03-21-2006, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the info! I was borderline gestational diabetic but mainly, because of severe hyperemisis gravidarum (puking alot while pregnant is the literal translaton from the impressive sounding Latin), I ended up malnourished and dehydrated. So that's what I automatically associate with ketosis - feeling dead inside and out, passing out, being hooked to machines, that sort of thing. Your explanation makes sense. Like I said, I know alot of people who have benefited from Atkins and they seem pretty healthy. Certainly healthier than they were before Atkins!

StargazerJMK
03-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Stargazer, congrats on losing 5 pounds! That's really great! Have you said what plan you're using, if any?

Oh and Blessed Ostara to everyone (a day late astrologically speaking)!

Nope I forgot to say. I'm doing LA Weight Loss. So far is working well. I'm down 22 pounds total.

Hope everyone had a Blessed Ostara.

Woodstock Cate
03-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Joan:

What's LAWL like? Is it similar to WW, or Nutrisystem? Do you have to check in weekly and buy their products?

~Cate

Mummy_Tummy
03-26-2006, 05:42 AM
A new week - the same weight. Grrrrr! Still at 164. Although at least I haven't gained. I've eaten well this past week but I know I haven't been drinking enough water. Also, I totally need to step up the exercise. I'm also contemplating a weight loss spell with a pumpkin seed and the waning moon, hehe!:wizard:

A friend of mine is on holiday in The States and will be bringing me back the Sonoma Diet book so I can start following the actual diet and not just swiping recipes from the Sonoma forum here at 3FC!:D

Mmmmmm it feels very Spring-y here in the east of England today. It's Mother's Day and my wedding anniversary! What a great day! I'm such a lucky witch. I have the greatest husband in the world.:val1:

I think we're gonna head on down to the seafront for some seafood and a bottle of wine (love Sonoma friendly wine drinking!). LOL, maybe even top it it off with a stroll along the seaside and an ice cream. A small ice cream and a looooong walk!:^:

Woodstock Cate
03-26-2006, 07:39 AM
MM Mummy Tummy:

The Goddess has certainly smiled upon you. Enjoy your wonderful day.

I think that as far as the weight goes, you are most likely very much like me. Your system is too good at preserving your fat stores, in case of starvation.:dizzy:

My metabolism is so slow that I know it is going to take a lot of work to get it burning properly. I have been told the only way to do that is to lift weights, and build the muscle that burns more fat, and then to increase the aerobic activity.:(

In other words, I need to start doing all those things I haven't been doing for a while. Truth is I have never cared much for that type of activity. I do love walks, but have been told that walking isn't enough. That sure seems to be true based upon my experience.

I wish you much luck reaching your goal, you have been doing great so far.

BB~Cate

Mummy_Tummy
04-16-2006, 03:52 AM
Two weeks until Beltane - which means we are now into Week 8 of the Challenge. How's everyone doing? I haven't posted but I've been losing. I finally got the Sonoma Doet book and am Day 2 of Wave 1. I am now down to 161!!!!!!! I can't believe how easy this diet /lifestyle change is to stick with.

How's everyone else doing? Still with me? Let's see how much we can lose before we all get the urge to dance skyclad around the Beltane fires!:carrot:

Woodstock Cate
04-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Mummy Tummy, congratulations!!!! You are an inspiration. So are you following wave 1 or wave 2 of the Sonoma Diet?

I have to say that I haven't lost but 3 lbs. I have been going to the gym 5 days a week for about 3 weeks. I have been really working my cardio hard, too. I was told by someone that she worked out for two months straight, and gained 4 lbs.!!!!

I think that my body just doesn't want to let go of the protective layer of fat.

BB~Cate

Mummy_Tummy
04-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Awww thanks, Cate. I am currently on Day 3 of Wave 1. I've got a bit of a sugar withdrawal headache today but mostly, it's been easier than I thought it would be to follow. I've lost about 1 1/2 pounds just in the first 2 days of Wave 1!!! I can't wait to step on the scale tomorrow morning to see what's going on. I had despaired of reaching the 20 pound goal for Beltane and was willing to settle for losing 10, which is what it looked like I was gonna end up with. But starting Sonoma has given me hope that I can get alot closer to 20 now. I know the weight loss is more dramatic during the first 10 days (Wave 1) and it seems to be just the kickstart I needed to get off the plateau I was riding. Have you tried Sonoma? Maybe it can work for you, too.

Granted, I've been a bit lazy in the exercise department although I am still making sure to get a daily walk in.

What's everyone planning for Beltane? Hubby and I are running the local open ritual so we need to start seriously writing our ritual. We've tossed around ideas and have a general idea but I'd like to get it written so I can start memorizing. When we do our rituals together, we tend to wing it in Circle and say whatever comes to us. But considering we'll have about 30 or so others looking to us, I want to be a bit more prepared!

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to share! It's a family-friendly gathering. I bought these really cool masks for the kids (adults too, if they want!) that they can decorate with pens and glitter and stuff. I am thinking we may incorporate them into the ritual somehow but haven't exactly figured out how yet.

Man, I love Beltane!

Morgaine
04-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Just checking in. I haven't been very good about stopping by and updating. I've lost 14.5 pounds since we started the challenge. I wanted to los a total of 31 pounds, but that's obviously not gonna happen. I had about 3-4 weeks where I just lost all desire and basically maintained or bounced around the same 2 pounds. I'm back on the wagon now, but I wasted so much time not being on plan, that I won't be to my goal by my birthday, April 30. I'd like to get to 145 by then, which is 6.5 pounds away. We'll see what happens. That's only 9 more days, but I have a very stress-filled week at work coming up and it might work out that way.

Blessings!

PhatPhoenix
04-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Just checking back in. At the start of the challenge, I had around 7lb to lose. Now it's around 3lb, so although not there yet, I'm happy! I've been dieting and exercising like a mad thing since July though, so things have really slowed down. I won't be too disappointed if I don't make it, as I seem to be losing at a rate of only 1lb a month, now, no matter how hard I work, so it's not likely I'll be finished by Beltane! Keep going, everyone!