Old 02-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default What do you eat for snacks?!

Ok here is my dilemma lol I can do fine all day, eat healthy etc. I could probably go all day without eating b/c for some reason I don't get that hungry during that day. Once night comes though (supper time and after) I usually cant stop thinking about food like popcorn and chips..and I need to get out of eating that sort of thing at night. Im already planning on trying to keep myself occupied by knitting etc.

But I was wondering what do you eat for snacks at night that are satisfying, good for you, and not packed full of calories, sugar, salt etc??

Thanks!
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272.5/266.5/135

Height: 5'6"

I haven't found any great snacks so far that cut that feeling I get at night.....but I seem to be a lot like you. I can go all day with eating great....I even exercise like crazy, but when the sun goes down and things start settling.....I just get this feeling that I'm hungry...even when I'm not!!

If you find anything or just need some support pm if ya want.

Misty
mommieof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:59 AM   #3  
Feeling the burn

Do you eat even though you're not that hungry during the day? I find having a good breakfast and eating a little something every few hours (something like fruits, 10-12 almonds, V-8 or some whole grain crisp with bruschetta and maybe a little cheese...) usually keeps me from ever feeling starved. So once dinner comes around, I'm hungry but not famished. As far as wanting chips, I crave them once in a while (usually when I go to bed?!) but I just leave it at that. I did buy some mini rice cakes once to satisfy the craving, but meh...the craving seemed more appetizing than actually eating them

Since I switched to eating whole grains, protein and more veggies, fruits, etc I find I don't crave "snacks" anymore (or very rarely).

As far as snack suggestions...don't really have any. I do love grapes though. I usually eat some every evening. I know some people like to have a lighter dinner so they can eat a little something later. I sometimes do that if I know I'll be going to bed late. Maybe you could try that and see if it keeps the cravings at bay? If you have a planned dessert, maybe keep it for later?

Oh, and yes. Make sure you're really hungry and not just wanting to eat out of habit or boredom (which often happens in the evening). I'll often ask myself that question when I feel hungry even though I ate well all day...and usually the answer is, nope, not hungry, just having a craving. So I ignore it and find something else to do.
Fit_Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #4  

Sugar Free Jello, Celery Sticks, Sunflower Seeds ( I take my time and eat them one at a time), Grapes, Beef Jerky (rarely, and it's salty), Triscuits, Herbal Tea, when I really need something crunchy sometimes I eat a bowl of Kashi cereal.

Knitting and Crocheing are great when you are just bored, keeps your hands busy. Sometimes I just knit rows and then pull them out and start again.
LucyGoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

sugar free jello
yogurt
most fruits (I vary these weekly) this week: apples, bananas, strawberries, mandarin oranges.
raw veggies (I vary these weekly) this week: cherry tomatoes, carrots, ready to eat sugar snap peas, black olives.
ice cream sandwhich (carefully picked out)
Luna Bars
v8 juice
nuts (sunflower seeds eaten 1-2 at a time takes FOREVER to eat..perfect for grazing
1oz of cheese (prepackaged)
popcorn (it's not bad for you)
sugar free Russell Stover chocolate candies (PMS time)
Creamsavers Sugar Free Hard Candies (carmel and chocolate)
guacamole (I can eat mine plain)
1/2 Wheat Bagel with reduced cream cheese (love the whipped kind)
boiled egg
dry cereal

P.S. I try to get in my servings of healthy food through snacks because I know if I have to "make" every meal, I might as well eat a tv dinner (too much salt). By snacking all day and eating my big meal at night (sometimes lunch), I can get it all in with the convience I want.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I snack at night a bit (I've cut it WAY down). Fresh pineapple is one of my favorites. This winter also diet hot chocolate (the swiss miss brand has added calcium). Sometimes microwave popcorn, or a single serving of crackers, or a bit of cheese (I use lowfat for sandwiches, but have small snacks of the "real" thing... like having a bit of good chocolate, I guess!), a yogurt, or cottage cheese...

I try to keep it light in the evenings, and have definitely cut back from what I used to do! Maybe someday I will eliminate evening snacks, but for right now I'm reasonably pleased with my choices.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #7  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks for all the awesome replies everyone! I do eat during the day even tho I don't feel that hungry. At night most of the time it isn't so much that I'm hungry but bored, and it is habit I suppose. If I were on the computer I think it would be different, but since I'm watching TV it doesn't keep you as occupied lol So I think Im going to have to learn to decifer the difference between hungry and bored and when Im actually hungry have something healthy, or a small portion of something not so healthy. I'm also going to stick with my plan to knit while watching TV. I exercise in the evenings, but that only takes up 1/2 hour! lol

Thanks again everyone!!
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #8  

I have always liked to snack at night so I plan for it. I always make sure I have 200-300 calories left at the end of the day. I usually have a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 1/2-1 ounce of almonds, a turkey sandwich, sometimes I'll make a veggie pizza using a tortilla, fresh fruit and cheese, a bowl of soup (usually black bean), a bowl of raisin bran, etc. I guess these aren't really snacks but more of the last of my meals for the day. Even with these smaller meals after dinner I usually have room (calorie wise) for a little snack mix, popcorn or some other "traditional" type snack.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #9  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Wasa crispbread with laughing cow cheese
baby carrots with hummous dip
celery with laughing cow cheese
green grapes
cherry tomatoes
sliced cucumber marinated in white wine vinegar
pretzels
Baked lays chips
Low fat pringles
WW toast with a little bit of honey
Healthy Choice low fat chocolate pudding
Blacks' Organic chocolate - dark with oranges and spices
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 01/07/10~ 142/136/132

I eat Chrispy mini rice cakes! I think the sea salt and lime are to die for!! 8 of these little chips are only 60cals! And after about 8-10 you get sick of them and turn to your water instead!lol!
I try not to eat ANYTHING after 7Pm,but if I get the nack to crunch,that's what I have!
Wide in Winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 190/190/145

Thumbs up

HI thanks for the info good job
lemongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I usually allow myself 2-3 snacks a day. One at work, usually a granola bar or a mixed fruit salad. Later in the evening, snack 2, its either 2 rice cakes (topped with a tsp of peanut butter or sour cream) or ff microwaved popcorn and snack 3 is fruit; banana, apple, peaches, apricots, grapes. Sometimes I get really peckish so I try to limit my snacks to raw veggies and salads.
Nuts are yummy but I can never find them satistying.
I try to fill up on water, drink water whenever you feel hungry, it could be that you are actually thirsty and not hungry at that time. hope this helps
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #13  

This was a really useful thread. I was doing really well with healthy snacks for the first six months of my healthy living thing, but seem to be getting lazy now and not thinking enough about good choices!!!

I can portion control most things, but not nuts!!! I can eat loads in a sitting!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #14  

any of the baked chips
wasabi covered peas
carrots
luna bars
grapes
pretzels
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5