Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #1  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default Stevia

Does anyone use stevia? I'd like to try it. It is more expensive than nutrasweet but I really like the fact that it is natural.

Any info would be appreciated. How does it taste compared to nutrasweet and/or splenda?
Where do you buy it?
Do you prefer the powdered form or liquid?

Thanks for any info!
Liz
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:49 AM   #2  

I have the liquid form. I put off trying it because a friend tried and couldn't stand it.... but when I tried it I found it to be okay. To me it's not as sweet as Sweet N Low... but it does sweeten up things like hot tea just fine. I try to use it when I can instead of the other artificial sweetners.
MlleOdile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 139/124/115

I tried the powdered form and hated it. Even a little bit had a bitter aftertaste. I'm a splenda girl myself, but like to go as natural as possible, because it tends to be better. I was really disappointed. Even my boyfriend hated it, and he will eat anything.
anyothername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #4  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

Hmmm... I didn't care for it much either, it leaves a bitter aftertaste, worse than the pink packets. I could deal with it in a morning smoothie because it mixed in with all the other flavors, but no good in tea or cereal or the like. I have also switched to Splenda.

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:35 PM   #5  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I got the powdered kind because it was reasonable cheap but it was pretty awful. My understanding is that the pure liquid forms don’t have the bitter aftertaste but it’s ridiculously expensive. I’ve been using Perfect Sweet Brand Xylotol (link here http://www.alternativehealth.com.au/...fect_sweet.htm), it’s not calorie free so you still have to watch your portions of it a bit, but it’s natural, tastes great, and it’s actually good for your teeth! I use it in my coffee, smoothies, baking, it’s been a great universal sugar substitute for me.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #6  

I use Stevia in my tea. I have the powder in a shaker bottle by NOW. Just a tiny shake is enough. If you use to much it will be bitter. I find that to sweeten my fruit and yogurt I like splenda better then stevia.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:25 PM   #7  

I use the liquid Stevia, I love it. I don't think it has an after taste. I've only used in my daily green/white tea. The brand I use is called -now.
Queen of the Prairie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/146/150

I use Stevia Plus and I think it's great. It CAN be bitter if you use too much (a little goes a long LOOOOOONG way ).
csoar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #9  

Default stevia

Stevia can be found in several forms. Liquid, granular and crushed leaf. It has a
licorice like flavor. You can find it in health food stores. I have used the liquid and granular and like the granular the best. I sprinkle it on fruit and plain yogurt and also use it in tea. It doesn't have the same kind of aftertaste as equal or splenda. It's a little pricey, but it's worth a try because it's natural.
2bhealthy57 is offline   Reply With Quote