Does it Work? - Caralum Fimbriata/Slimaluna Appetite Suppressant

kmg73
02-19-2006, 11:09 AM
I read about this on about.com froma thyroid newsletter (article linked below). The author of this newsletter is good about saying what does and does not work for people trying to lose or maintain weight if they suffer from hypothryoidism and warns against substances that are not proven safe; however I was surprised to see this new item presented to people who read the newsletter. Does anyone have any news/information on this appetite suppressant? One of the commercial brands is GenaSlim made by Country Life.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/caralluma.htm?nl=1

Suzanne 3FC
02-19-2006, 02:10 PM
I wonder if this is going to go the same way as hoodia, which the author compares this too but apparently hasn't done her research. The "hoodia" sold here does not contain P57, the active ingredient in the natural, fresh plant that is responsible for the appetite suppressing qualities. It is illegal to export it out of Africa because it is protected by law, but we may see the real thing sometime this year - and it will probably only be marketed by one company. It's a long story :)

I have some doubts about this product. The clinical study quoted was done in India and was not published in a peer reviewed journal, so it's insignificant.
Under the history of use, Caralluma Fimbriata has been eaten as a vegetable, either cooked or raw. They didn't dry it and consume tiny little capsules of it. In the case of hoodia, a major pharmaceutical company was unable to simply dry it and get any benefit from the capsules, so they abandoned the project after having spent a fortune on it. Could it be the same with this product?

I know I sound cynical, lol, but after seeing countless scams involving hoodia, I'm leary of similar claims. Until more studies are published, I'll withhold any enthusiasm.

On another note, we polled more than 10,000 dieters and learned that only 6% overate out of true hunger. They ate out of boredom or from stress or other emotional reasons. An appetite suppressant may not be the answer for most people.