General chatter - Non-sticklike Celebrities

View Full Version : Non-sticklike Celebrities

maegdaeien
02-17-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi all! I was thinking today about how nowadays there are a lot more celebrities than ever before saying, "Yes, I'm bigger than average-- but I'm fabulous!" Even if it's just a big pregnant belly on a small woman, remember that decades ago women would've hidden themselves away somewhere until they were thin again. So... who is your favorite celebrity who has broken down the size barrier?

My favorite has to be Kate Winslet. I saw "Titanic" and thought she was the most beautiful woman ever, and although she was certianly not overweight by most standards, she had 20 or 30 pounds on every other actress! (I also love Queen Latifah and Kathy Bates!)

Less of Lena
02-17-2006, 09:07 PM
Don't forget Camryn Manheim! Hope I spelled her name right.

BrunetteChic_2000
02-17-2006, 09:13 PM
I love Kate Winslet, too! I also like Kirsty Alley, Kathy Najimy, and I love Sara Rue!!

Glory87
02-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Oprah and Queen Latifah. I know that Oprah has struggled with her weight (and I make fun of her diet plan at every opportunity), but she's not a "skinny minnie" today, she looks like a real, sexy woman (totally love her hair these days). I thought she was beautiful at any weight.

maegdaeien
02-17-2006, 10:28 PM
Ooooh, these are all really good ones. I can't believe I forgot Camryn Manheim and Oprah! They're such standards...

halifaxhoney
02-18-2006, 09:47 PM
I think that Melissa McCarthy (Sookie from Gilmore Girls) is beautiful.

almostheaven
02-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Ok, call me weird...Roseanne Barr. LOL

NemesisClaws
02-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Trying to think......we've got so many stick-like women that I'm actually struggling to think of one who isn't......Hmm....I'll go with Delta Burke. :)

maegdaeien
02-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Trying to think......we've got so many stick-like women that I'm actually struggling to think of one who isn't......Hmm....I'll go with Delta Burke. :)

I know, it's hard to think of them off the top of your head. It's funny that stars can be pedophiles, drug addicts, abusive husbands/wives and surrounded by sex scandals, and it's totally fine. But as soon as they gain a few pounds, they're kicked out of the limelight. It really makes you question culture's priorities, doesn't it? :?:

canadian*girl
02-19-2006, 12:45 AM
i looked at this thread earlier and i couldn't even think of one. how sad is that.

i still can't think of anybody.:(

bluedevil
02-19-2006, 01:03 AM
I've always thought that Trisha Yearwood (a country music singer) is gorgeous, and she's not a waif-y lady.

BrunetteChic_2000
02-19-2006, 01:20 AM
Oh - that made me think of Wynonna Judd!! I love her!!!

Here are a few pictures for you of skinny celebrities and what they would look like fat:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/hewitt.jpg
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/sbullock.jpg
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/zetjones.jpg
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images/jlopez.jpg

NemesisClaws
02-19-2006, 01:40 AM
I know, it's hard to think of them off the top of your head. It's funny that stars can be pedophiles, drug addicts, abusive husbands/wives and surrounded by sex scandals, and it's totally fine. But as soon as they gain a few pounds, they're kicked out of the limelight. It really makes you question culture's priorities, doesn't it? :?:
Yes it does! This reminds me of an article I read earlier today on AOL that asked in a survey what was the worst presidential blunder of all time.....most people put Clinton and his sex scandals as number one over Vietnam and others! I was just appalled! Personally, while I am all for high moral standards from our leaders, I'm far more concerned with their actions directly affecting this country than I am with their sex life. Same deal with Hollywood....You rarely hear about the folks that have sustained long marriages, been there for their kids, and so forth. This reminds me of the situation with that singer from Wilson Phillips (can't remember her name). When she lost most of her weight, the papers were praising her left and right. But when she started to gain it back due to pregnancy and so forth, all of a sudden people backed off on her. :(

Eldubu
02-19-2006, 12:15 PM
What makes me mad is that the press pastes huge headlines if an actress gains a few pounds, but when someone like Nicole Richie loses weight and is too skinny (which she IS! I'm not a fan, but I think her friends and family should worry), they're on her like a pit bull on a three legged cat.
You can't win. We need to have a cookie cutter mold so that we can all look "right" and be accepted.

Less of Lena
02-19-2006, 01:00 PM
BrunetteChic, those photos are... wow! Really well done. Amazing attention to detail, with proper shadows and shading and fabric draping and whatnot. It's astounding what can be done these days with digital photography.

Who here remembers the old ad campaign, "Is it real... or is it Memorex?" I guess this is the modern-day equivalent!

almostheaven
02-20-2006, 12:54 AM
Anyone ever see American Sweethearts? Check out the "fat" Julia Roberts in that movie.

lizzbabe
02-20-2006, 01:51 AM
I read Us Weekly and Star and can't believe how much crap they are giving to Britney Spears for being 5'4'' and 140lbs. Isn't that like the average woman? Different standards for celebs though.

Also, Heidi Klum told some girl on that modeling show she hosts that she was too heavy (at 5'7'' and 115lbs). I couldn't believe it!

Drew Barrymore is not a stick and I think that's great.

GreatBigMonsterMomma
02-20-2006, 03:41 AM
Saw another one today. Danica Patrick, the Indy car driver. She is fairly thin, but girl's got muscles! (If you buy the Sunday paper, she's in an ad for Secret Platinum on the back of one of the coupon inserts.) And I'm also a great fan of Mia Tyler, who is just as cute as her sister Liv but doesn't look in such bad need of a hot meal! Rachael Ray from Food Network is cute too, though she's so damned perky it should be illegal...

2frustrated
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Oh I love Kate Winslet (even though she's a supposed size 4 now...) and Scarlett Johanssen.

Oh and Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls. I was positively drooling over her, she had my ideal body... Well look what happened :cry:

cemetarysiren25
02-20-2006, 12:33 PM
Hmmm....let me think....Christina Ricci, Thora Birch...
I LOVE Kathy Bates!!

Claire de Ravin
02-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Hmmm....let me think....Christina Ricci, Thora Birch...
I LOVE Kathy Bates!!

Did you know Christina Ricci has admitted to fighting eating disorders in the past? Just thought you should know.

I also love Drew Barrymore and Scarlet Johansson. And I feel really bad for Britney Spears, but she's an idiot for driving with her baby on her lap. :dizzy:

mauvaisroux
02-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Lauren Graham of Gilmour Girls - she is slim but not sticklike - she has gorgeous hair and striking eyes - so glad she has remained a brunette (so far).

Julianne Moore - a slim but - not - skinny, gorgeous freckled pale redhead in a (Hollywood) world of over tanned bleach blonde sticklets :D Not afraid to let it all hang out in Boogie Nights either :)

Amy Lee - lead singer for the band Evanessence

kayleystar
02-21-2006, 08:31 AM
Yes, Christina Ricci has battled with eating disorders, and is pretty darn skinny right now, I think she looked absolutely gorgeous when she wasn't itty bitty. She had great curves, and it just looked GOOD on her. I agree that it's ridiculous that they are giving Britney Spears so much flack about her weight. She's said she's HAPPY where she is, so let her BE! Also Drew Barrymore does look DARN good! :D Angelina Jolie is fairly thin, but she does have curves!

VelVeeta
02-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Oprah, Martha Stewart, Ellen DeGeneres, i just like that they are successful women who are regular sizes.

nicnacmd7
02-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Emme the plus size model! she is an absolute inspiration for all women I think!!..she is beautiful, sexy, curvy, and amazing!!...I think any plus size model is a cerdit to all women, When Lane Bryant advertise and you see a "real" women in "trendy" clothes and who look great in them, it really should be on all billboards, to let girls, and women and most men know that curves are beautiful.

maegdaeien
02-24-2006, 10:50 PM
GreatBigMonsterMomma, yes, I agree that Mia looks even better than her sister. Far more feminine, I would say.

And I ABSOLUTELY HATE how when you see a celebrity in non-stick form, it's because they're having problems. I mean, I was totally enamored with Kate Winslet in Titanic, and the she had to go and get skinny and blonde in 2005. And Christina Ricci now looks like one of what I call the Lollipop Girls-- you know, when they get so skinny that their heads look WAY too big for their bodies, and they look like a lollipop on a stick? It makes me so sad that Hollywood demands this of its actresses... because look at Monroe! She was a 10 or 12 by today's standards, and here Liz Hurley is saying she'd kill herself if she was as fat as Marilyn. Well, honey, MM is still the #1 Sex Symbol of ALL TIME, so what does that tell ya?!

BerkshireGrl
02-25-2006, 01:23 AM
Curvaceous women?

Lucy Lawless as "Xena"!
I loved that cheeseball show! She was my hero :lol:

Monica Bellucci - as "Persephone" in that latex dress in Matrix 2? Holy moly.

Queen Latifah - heck yeah! She makes the regular models look ill next to her in the CoverGirl ads ;)

Drew Barrymore - definitely. Now, I'm not a terrible perv, but I have perused her photos in the January 1995 Playboy, when she had some very tasteful photos done, mostly in the old-fashioned Vargas girl mode, standing behind a screen door in sunset... pushing a tire across the floor in a mechanic's shop... tanning on a float in a turquoise pool... And I can just say, whoa. And I read the article too. :lol:

Renée Zellweger as "Bridget Jones" - um, "fat"? Plump, maybe, and dressed in some really homely clothes. But her body was perfectly fine to me.

The Models of the sadly defunct "Mode" magazine - I really miss this. It was great to see beautiful curvy women (including Emme) dressed in gorgeous, creative clothes and they looked like they were having so much fun! It really inspired me to get daring with my own wardrobe and to stop wearing so much dang black. I felt like I was going to funerals non-stop for a few years there...

I'm sure there are many more women to be honored out there! ;)

GreatBigMonsterMomma
02-25-2006, 05:14 AM
Oh, I always say I want Queen Latifah to play me in the movie about my life. Surely it'd only take a little bit of makeup to make her look like my pale self. :lol3:

Renée Zellweger as Bridget Jones, was something like 135 or 140 pounds, a perfectly healthy weight for her height. (I know because she's the same height I am.) And she was so assailed for being fat it's pathetic. So now she's gone back down to where her ribcage sticks out as much as her breasts do, and she's acceptable again. :censored:

FL_Chickie
02-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Curvaceous women?

Lucy Lawless as "Xena"!
I loved that cheeseball show! She was my hero :lol:

Renee O'Connor (Gabrielle) is also a beautiful woman who is normal, with curves and roundness, especially in the first few seasons. If I could look like anyone, it would probably be her! She's not a stick and at the same time she's not plump or out of shape. And she just looks like a nice person! :)

teahoney
02-25-2006, 11:31 AM
She's starting to slim down but I love Beyonce. She has the body I wish I had especially when she is a bit heavier.

jules1216
02-25-2006, 04:29 PM
Marilyn Monroe is considered to be on of the sexiest women of all times and I remember reading somewhere that she was like a size 14.
Hollywood & the media are truly doing thier best to give a destructive self image to all women, both young and old.

JasonsLea
02-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Monique! I love her! and Raven Symone. Marilyn Monroe was the original and best IMO

maegdaeien
02-27-2006, 12:44 AM
Monroe's measurements were 37-23-36. I just checked OldNavy.com out of curiosity, and for her clothes her chest would need a size 10, her waist a 0 and her hips a 4. It's the same for Gap.com. Now I see why she needed to be sewn into her dresses!