General Diet Plans and Questions - body for life #12

View Full Version : body for life #12

susanje
07-20-2001, 10:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start a new thread before I left.

I am going east tomorrow (3 days in Boston 3 in NYC). I haven't shared the BFL thing with anyone back east. I am hoping to wow my friends. I have lighter hair, whiter teeth, new nails (went yesterday and had them done...oooh la la) and 2 sizes smaller.

I am windburned from taking the bike today - I hope it clears.

Also I missed a post in the last thread about HIIT.

I'm currently doing 8 minutes 1 minute jog followed by 30 second sprint. I tried it on the recumbent bike today and not so good. going back to the elliptical. I thought I was going to have a heart attack on wednesday. It hurt so good. I hope to keep increasing it but if I hit it like I did on weds it might take a while.
:)

see you all in a week! you'll be with me in spirit!!!
Susan

ShelleyM
07-21-2001, 10:10 AM
I'm feeling like I'm on the verge. Week 6 starts Monday for me. I still haven't shown any losses, but I can feel muscles in my arms--I guess they're pushing the fat against my skin!! :lol:

Used a Schwinn Airdynne today for my 20 mins. What a workout! It has the arm things on it, too. So I am pooped!

Susanje-After your 8 mins, do you do another 20 mins of something (after you get your breath back?) I didn't do the HIIT this morning, I couldn't get fast enough on the Schwinn. I did move over to the recumbent bike for the last 5 mins, but was too pooped to try the 4 mins. HIIT on it.

Question for Mrs. J or SJ-How accurate do you think www.biofitness.com is? After reading suggestions on L&S, I went over there to figure out my body fat %. It comes out to 22.4%- Lean weight 112.6, fat weight 32.4. Have either of you tried this sight? Since I still have problems with the calipers, this is the only way I could figure. Could 1 of you try it, and let me know how close it comes to your reading???? Thanks!!!

Debbie160
07-21-2001, 12:54 PM
Hi there BFL'ers. I am just starting to learn about this plan and am very impressed with the results that I have seen in the BFL book. All you you seem to be doing well and feeling positive about the program. I have to admit though, that ready your posts makes me feel a little intimidated. I don't think I am very knowledgable about strength training exercises, supplements, and all that. I have been working out at a gym for several years, but primarily just aerobics classes, stairmaster, and other aerobic exercise. I guess my question is, am I going to be able to figure all of this out? To tell you the truth, I am a little intimidated to do strength training at the gym because I don't really know what I am doing.

Any advice? I am going to try to finish reading BFL this weekend and do some planning. I really want to make a change that is going to show me some REAL change in my body, but right now I am feeling intimidated about the strength training aspect of this.

Also, my other question is are you guys using Myoplex? It seems pretty expensive on the BFL website. Are there other places to get it cheaper? Do you really use the shakes for 3 of your 6 meals? I was thinking they would be nice to use occasionally if you didn't have time to plan a real meal.

Sorry to bother you with a bunch of questions from a potential "newbie". I am just trying to learn as much as I can before I start.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Debbie

ShelleyM
07-21-2001, 01:14 PM
Welcome Debbie!! Although I am rather new at the program (I will be starting week 6 on Monday), maybe I can answer a couple of your questions until Mrs. Jim or Susanje get to answer you. I only use Myoplex for 1 meal (usually my 2nd). I found the Chocolate Lovers 20 packs at www.vitaminworld.com for 23.97!! I just got them in today, and will shortly be trying out the chocolate mint.

Please don't be intimidated by anything at all. We may sound like experts, but we are all just starting this way of life.

Mrs. J and Susanje just completed their first challenges with amazing results. They both were beginners at one time, also!

As for me, I am more like you. I worked out at different gyms for a lot of years, then started working out at home. I have just begun using all my free weights that I have had in my room for years! I can barely raise a 20 lb. dumbbell over my head in both hands! You may want to go over to www.leanandstrong.com, also. Many of us here go back and forth between the 2 boards. They have a lot of people over there that have been doing this through many challenges. If you read, you find out that there are newbies around the board practically everyday.

Finish reading the book, then plan ahead. I think that planning is one of the most important things that you can do. I printed out all 84 forms on the EAS.com site, and plan all my weight workouts 2 days in advance, so that I can compare them to the last workout that I had done prior.

Please feel free to ask any kind of question, and we will all answer as best as we can, and WELCOME to this wonderful group of people!!:)

Debbie160
07-21-2001, 05:20 PM
Thanks for responding so quickly Shelley! I have been out shopping to add to my collection of dumbbells, since I knew I would be needing some heavier ones for chest exercises. I checked out vitaminworld.com and the cheapest I found the powdered Myoplex was 20 packets for $43.96. Maybe I missed a sale or something or am I looking in the wrong place? I also saw it at netrition.com for $36.95 for 20 packets. Seems a little high still. Are they worth it? How do they taste? I probably will end up buying some, just to have something convenient once in a while.

Thanks again for you help! Gonna get back to the book now so I can be ready to get under way first thing Monday morning!

ShelleyM
07-21-2001, 06:09 PM
Debbie- I just tried the Chocolate Mint Myoplex lite that came today. It was soooo yummy. Make sure you are looking at Myoplex lite. It is cheaper than regular Myoplex. It sounds like you were looking at the regular or deluxe.

Whoops!! I just looked it up and the price is now $33.56. I must have caught it on sale last week. Anyway, it is the Chocolate Lover's pack. Just keep checking it, they can go on sale at any time. I also bought the Myoplex Lite Vanilla Cream at my local Vitamin World for 29.96, so you just have to check around.

nasus40
07-21-2001, 07:58 PM
I have been doing BFL for 6 weeks now too. i am starting week 7 I have had a few interuptions and am a bit off tract but I am still in there.

I do not take Myoplex but I do take betalean and betagen I do not feel any different. I only take them once a day though. I have a hard time talking to anybody about my exercise program as it is so different from anything any body is doing here, I did not even think of looking here.

I am a die hard lowcarber but do take in a bit more carbs as My body does need them, so I do not follow their diet either.

I was a ``couch potatoe but now I have started to run :dizzy: and took some bellydancing lessons:lol: and even have roller bladed:^:

to realize what a feat this is you need to know that I am 42 years old mother of 4 and weigh almost 200 lbs at start. 194. I have not lost much at this time (today 188, 6 lbs in 6 weeks)but sure do see a huge difference as the legs have muscles and I can see thing s tighten up. I have not lost much in inches or clothes size but as I have gained my muscle I will start to see that soon I am in a tight 16 now.

I am eneergised and would love to join you guys in the support of theis wonderful exercise.

MichelleP
07-21-2001, 11:31 PM
I cannot believe that I have worked out consistently now for 2 weeks, 6 days a week. THAT is a feat initself!!!

I was extremely busy today after my LBW. I have finally convinced my brother to try the body for life challenge. He got the book over a week ago, has read it and I have been talking about the importance of planning, planning, planning. We created a shopping list and went a'shoppin today. He turned 30 today and is a single guy and he wants his 30's to be WAY healthier than his 20's were. He really is in bad shape- fast food, no exercise, sitting in front of the computer all the time. It was embarrassing for both of us (especially him) when we took his measurements, weighed him and then took THE BEFORE PICTURE. I felt so bad for him :( ' cause he was visibly uncomfortable with his shirt off AND in front of his icky older sister :p . I just kept on reasuring him that in 12 weeks of hard work he WILL see results. I just hope he sticks with it. He has support in my dh and I and I hope that is enough!

Mrs. Jim: I don't think I can get labrada brand glutamine in Canada so I bought a brand called "supernutrition", it cost $49.95 for 500grams. (that would be about $1.50 in american dollars :lol: -- just kidding).

Well gotta go and take a break. Tommorrow is a busy day but a FREE day. We are taking the kids to the "Blue's Clues" show at the theatre (the stage version) and then for dinner at a restuaruant to celebrate my brother's 30th.

Ciao for now!
Michelle

MrsJim
07-21-2001, 11:53 PM
Sheesh! I leave for a day and voila! A new thread!!!

Nasus40 - Welcome to our BFL thread! You should also check out www.leanandstrong.com - I believe that 99.3% of us BFLers go to both forums...lots of really knowledgable people (men and women) there...but I'll try to answer your questions...

You really do not need to take any nutritional supplement (other than a multivitamin perhaps) to do BFL. My current supplements (actually, I'm not taking any right now - last couple of days of my long free week!) are:

Glutamine (the most important one - for muscle soreness!!)
I use Labrada Glutamine 1000 from www.netrition.com
Betagen - but only because I purchased so much of it - -when I run out, I'm going to buy the cheapest creatine powder I can find!
Udo's Choice Perfected Oil Blend
Trader Joe's multivitamins

I also use Myoplex Lite, but I don't consider that a supplement - it's a meal replacement (food).

Have you actually read the book? For the optimal results, it's important to follow the program exactly as written, including the exercises. If you have a problem trying to create an UBWO or LBWO, go to EAS' Training Zone at http://www.eas.com/sportsspecific/bfl.asp?F=BF and you can get a program created for you.

For inspriation, just go to L&S's Transformation Gallery - and check out all the great results - don't forget Pam B! She is my BFL heroine!!! In January of 2000, she weighed 244 pounds - just last weekend, she competed in a state bodybulding contest and won the novice category! Check out those before and after pix of hers - they will surely motivate you!

Leanandstrong.com also has terrific libraries with recipes, training tips, etc. If you're doing BFL - or thinking of doing BFL - L&S is a must-see. Their message board moves much faster than ours but you'll learn a lot - I just open two windows on my PC and switch back and forth!

Debbie - I agree that the Myoplex Lite is a better deal than regular Myoplex. If you feel there aren't enough calories then just make it with skim milk rather than water! The best price I have found so far for Myo Lite is at www.vitaglo.com - $48.99 for a 42-serving Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry variety pack! AND free shipping in the US. Even with the "Challenge Discount" EAS is among the MOST expensive places on the Net to buy their products. And forget about GNC unless you are in an emergency situation!! I mostly order from Vitaglo but I also order from Netrition via the L&S website so they will get a commission to keep going. If you read Muscle Media, many times Netrition.com has a "free shipping" code in their ads, AND I also got my body fat calipers for free there!

For all you thrifty BFLers - try this link http://members.tripod.com/bflbob/id20.htm
It's a EAS Net Price Finder!!!

Hey Shelley - I tried biofitness.com and came out at 16% and change...I wish...think I'll stick to my good ol' bodyfat calipers at 20.7% (using the www.hussman.com/eas site) or 20.2% (using the Accu-Measure guide on Netrition.com). Besides doing all those tape measurements is such a pain!

Debbie - try ebay or your local pennysaver for great deals on weights...

ShelleyM
07-22-2001, 10:17 AM
I feel so wierd today! Usually on my free day I do a leisurely 3 mile jog, or bike 10 miles, but today it is pouring out, so I just immediately took a shower when I woke up. This is the 1st time in 6 weeks that I haven't done some form of exercise!

Mrs. J-Thanx for the biofitness info--I knew it was too good to be true! The reason I went to it was that one of the ladies over at L&S suggested it. Anyway, I took my measurements this morning, and even though I didn't lose anywhere else, I have lost 1" in my stomache!! At least that's something! I might have lost right under my bra line too, but I never measured there to begin with. It seems I am smaller from there to my waist, even though my waist has not gone down.

I have been doing those crunches while lying down that 1 of you suggested. They are great!

Have a good one!!

nasus40
07-22-2001, 09:43 PM
I am exccited to be part of this board. Thankyou for the welcome. I did nothing today except tons of laundry, I think that counts for a part of my UBWO????;) Don't I wish I would not be in this shape ir that was the case.

I am just checking in and saying have a great program week.

morrigan
07-22-2001, 10:21 PM
I recently started weight training. What should you be eating/drinking before and after a long session? Does it matter? Should I be thinking about carbs or protien or something? I am following a 1400 calorie a day diet.

Debbie160
07-22-2001, 11:39 PM
Hi! And thanks everyone for helping me out with all my questions. Tomorrow is the big day....day 1 out of 84 and the beginning of a dramatic change for me. I've got my workout planned and my food planned and I am ready to go. I bought some Myoplex Lite at GNC. Was on sale for $36 (20 packets). Will keep checking websites for better prices. I still have a couple of questions (imagine that! ;)). One, is there a limit to the amount of veggies you can eat? I was thinking you could probably eat as much as you wanted of the non-starchy veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, etc. Also, I keep reading about so many different supplement, Creatine and other stuff. I am getting so CONFUSED!:dizzy: Do any of you guys use any of this stuff? What do you recommend?

Sorry to keep being a pest, but I am trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks!
Debbie

MrsJim
07-22-2001, 11:57 PM
Tomorrow is Day #1 of Challenge 2! I'm so excited!!!

Debbie - On Page 89 of the book, Bill Phillips says you should include vegetables (the list is on page 83) with 'at least two of your daily meals". Since most of us struggle to do that (yes, I'm one of those people!) and veggies are so low in calories to begin with, I see why Bill P didn't specify what a "serving" was. The important thing here in BFL is to eat only during the six meals - no snacking in between, including veggies...except for water of course!

Morrigan - On BFL, it is highly recommended that you work out on an empty stomach in order to burn fat and build muscle more effectively. That's one of the reasons that Meal #6 is taken so close to bedtime (I usually have a Myo Lite for that) - so you'll have energy to train in the morning, yet not be all weighed down by a full stomach (that's my take on it anyway). The www.hussman.com/eas site goes into a lot more detail (yet told in an interesting manner!). I'd definitely recommend checking it out!

I usually eat Meal #1 an hour after my workout BTW...

2BFIT1
07-23-2001, 09:12 AM
Welcome Debbie, Sue and Morrigan (hopefully Spin will find her way over here, too)~~~

Boy has this thread been busy over the weekend!

Debbie~~~ Good luck on your first day of the challenge. You can do it!

MrsJim~~~Today's the day for C2W1D1~~~you go, girl!

Shelly~~~I hope that your exercise withdrawals are better today:D

Michelle~~~You're doing great: on to week 3!

This is C1W10D4 for me and I'm determined to do even better these last few weeks. I'm seeing results and very encouraged. DH is full of complements! I don't have a digital camera and my before pictures are still in the camera. So, I'll be seeing my before and after pics at the same time. Should be interesting!!!

I'm expecting my Netrition order to arrive any day. This time I added some Labrada Creatine, along with the shakes/bars/LaTortillas.
My supplements consist of labrada glutamine, multi-vit.,& Phen-Free. And of course Myoplex Lite powder with occassional Myo Lo Carb bars.
Gotta get ready to hit the gym:wave:
~~~Sil

ShelleyM
07-23-2001, 10:25 AM
Sil-Good for you!! Glad you are doing well on this program!

Mrs.Jim-Good luck on your 2nd challenge!

Morrigan-Welcome to this board. I've seen your name on some of the other forums. Were you on the Slimdown at one time?

Debbie-Sounds like you're ready to get started! Good luck, and ask away! I don't take any supps-I can't afford them. It hasn't hurt me!

Nasus-Sorry! Laundry doesn't count!! I wish!!:lol:

Michelle-Good luck on your 3rd week!

MrsJim
07-23-2001, 10:57 AM
Woo! It felt so great to be back...I felt so bloated yesterday and this morning.

Yesterday was combo of Free Day and last day of Free Week...I ended up not eating anything until 11:30 a.m. since I was working at the ranch (things changing in that part of my life too - more later). Our favorite Sunday breakfast place, Stacks', was totally crowded so we went to First Watch. They have much smaller portions (thank goodness). No pancakes this time - two scrambled Egg Beaters, a modest slice of ham, an English muffin and a very modest portion of potatoes.

For dinner last night, I made a couple of steaks on the BBQ with potatoes, spinach and garlic bread - then we split a pint of Ben & Jerrys...

I popped out of bed at 4:00 a.m. ready to go! I really missed the gym. Actually my UBWO took about an hour since I was trying out new (to me) routines and tweaking them a bit. After my UBWO I did a couple of sets of chin-ups on the assisted machine - one set at 120, one at 110 (this is the kind of machine where you LOWER the weight to get a more strenous workout). I'm aiming for being able to do at least one chinup with NO weight assist by end of C2.

Back to the ranch - I've pretty much decided to stop going. I am really going to miss the horses, but the agreement was that for every 4-5 hours of work, I would get a one-hour lesson. I have not gotten a lesson since the end of June - and yet I've been there every weekend from 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. doing the feeding, mucking out, etc. (except for last weekend when we were in Yosemite - but I made up for that by working Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday during my vacation). In fact, my last lesson was only 20 minutes long - the wind was really blowing, and when the wind blows there, there are duststorms you would not believe! Not good for either the horse's eyes or mine...I was supposed to have a makeup lesson but it never happened, even though I asked about it. I did get a chance to practice ride a few times - but you can only practice what you already know. I spoke to the woman who is acting as his secretary about possibly scheduling a regular time every week for me and she said that since I was working for my lessons, that I would have to be 'fit in' after the paying customers were scheduled. I was supposed to have a lesson at 3:00 this past Saturday but a trail ride was booked and superceded my lesson.

I also got a sneak peek of how the ranch is going to be during the wet season when we emptied a few of the water tanks for cleaning and refilling. The mud was really deep and sticky. Since I'm planning on leasing a horse next year, I want to have a place nearby where I can keep it - but I can't keep my horse there as to me it doesn't suit.

Happily, I found another place just about 20 minutes farther down the road - visited it yesterday and it is really NICE. Redwood trees, green pastures, happy horses and a COVERED, LIGHTED arena! Since lessons aren't taught on Sundays Jim and I are going to pop over this Saturday to watch a lesson or two. There are three certified instructors on staff there who give lessons and actually the price is less than the ranch!

Whew! Well, gotta go dry my hair. More later!

ShelleyM
07-23-2001, 11:15 AM
Mrs.J-Sounds like it's a good idea for you to go somewhere else!! I forgot to tell you (since you love horses), my best friend's whole family is in the race horse business. Her sister is a jockey, her dad, brother, and other sister train horses in different parts of the country (Kentucky and California). Tami doesn't have anything to do with them, though. One of her sisters was killed about 20 years ago by a horse, so she cut herself off from being involved.

Yesterday, being my free day was home made french onion soup and quiche. Not to mention about 3 bowls of Honey Bunches of Oats!! I did have a mocha Myoplex in the morning, though. I'm feeling the bloat today!

It's back to the grind of work tomorrow. As you can tell, I'm posting as much as I can until then! I don't think I'll have much time after this.

Debbie160
07-23-2001, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone! Well, day one is underway. Did my UBWO this morning. Don't think I lifted heavy enough weights, except for my triceps. Was DEFINITELY at a 10 for them. I need to get some heavier weights for my chest, 15 pounds is the heaviest I had and I know I could have done more reps.

So far so good on the eating too. Had a chocolate Myoplex Lite this morning. Seemed kinda thick to me. The taste wasn't bad, but I really didn't like the texture much. Will try it with ice cubes next time to see if it being colder helps. Right now am eating my lunch....chicken breast done on my Geo. Foreman grill with a little Essence of Emeril (BAM!....I love that guy!:lol: ), some wild rice, and some raw carrots.

MrsJim Thanks for the help with the veggies. I guess if he says veggies with "at least" 2 meals, I could theoretically eat veggies at every meal, just as long as I didn't snack on them in between?

Thanks to everyone else for their warm welcome. You seem like a great bunch!

Debbie

MrsJim
07-23-2001, 03:27 PM
I always use lime juice on my chicken breasts - probably going through a bottle every three weeks! Love the stuff!

The next book I'm going to buy (regarding fitness/bodybuilding) is Arnold Schwartzenegger's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding. If you haven't seen it, it's a HUGE book filled with exercises and tips. I've just checked it out of the library and barely had time to skim it, but he does recommend posing and flexing your muscles between sets. Kind of like stretching. So I started doing that today during my UBWO (even though I kind of felt like I was being self-centered, what the heck). Even with over a week of feasting and not working out, I'm happy to see that my arms and back still look pretty good!

Speaking of books - I have been so excited for the past month about this - if you are a Jean Auel fan (Clan of the Cave Bear) did you know that Book Five in the series is FINALLY scheduled to be released next May?? :D I've been waiting since 1990 for it!!! Started reading the series back in the early 80's when I was 21, didn't think I'd be almost 40 when Book 5 came out!!! The title of the new book will be "The Shelters of Stone". I know this is totally unrelated to BFL but I'm so excited by the news!!

Serrano
07-23-2001, 04:51 PM
Hey! :wave:

Wow, everyone is doing so well!!!

Gee, I was going to ask if laundry counted too... guess not.:^:
Mrs. Jim, you are wise to check out another place for your horse. The latest place sounds much better. Good luck to you!

Starting week 3 and still a little wobbly in spots but as determined as ever.

Off to the gym to stink and build muscle :lol:

Have a great afternoon!

Serrano

MrsJim
07-23-2001, 07:40 PM
I was just on there and he's updated it to include:

New tips for losing fat

"Supplements" updated with budget suggestions (for those out there who can't afford the EAS supps)

"Metabolism" section updated with new research...

Check it out!

Serrano - thanks for your concern. Luckily, I don't own a horse yet - but plan to lease/buy one next year (if my riding skills and finances permit). Jim is still pi**ed off about the whole thing but I say live and learn - and at least I didn't waste my money (only my precious time!). This new place I checked out (well, it's new to ME) looks really promising - can't wait to go on Saturday to look some more!

nasus40
07-23-2001, 09:47 PM
I got great news today. I am so excited. I workout at the YMCA, and whe I started BFL I met a young man who was a personal trainer there (ran in to his several times since but he was busy) I was going to have himm do my BF% as he had a really neet machine but I got called out on an emergency and did not get back to him. I had figured my BF by measurements and was up to 50% is and my scale was at 42% I had him do it, I was at 32.4% and have a LBM of 129. I was setting mygoal weight at 130-135! I have 50 lbs of fat and have 22 to lose to get to 22% (goal is 15%)

I am going to hire him as my personal trainer It is not to expensive and I need the instructions on the machine correctly. I know that the form I am using is not all the ways correct.

As for supps. I take betagen, but only 1-2 times daily
betalean only 1 time daily, my assundry of multivits, including B, cromium and a few others like Potassium (from my low carb) only if I have a heavy limb day.

I had an interupted LBWO toay. I warmed up on the rowing machine, did half of my exercises reached 9 only as I had to get to work. then went back and did the rest hitting 10. in calves, quads, and hams, abs to (I guess i did the whole thing again) :D then did stairmaster for warm down (although I heated right up!!!) for 10 min I got so excited I decided to hit a 10 there too! (I am not to good on that yet. I can easily hit 10's on most any cardio exercise, I am so out of shape, and that is why I think that hiring this guy will help me. Hope everybody had a great day.

Mrs. Jim what a great thing start C2 WOW! I just had seen a bunch of web sites that are geared for BB I will post them when I find them again.

MrsJim
07-23-2001, 11:47 PM
What a great feeling after this past week of a lot of unclean eating...

I made sure that Meal #4 was at 4:00 today - had lunch at around 1:30, since today was the first day of my little 5 year old nephew's swimming lessons. For the next two weeks, he has a half-hour lesson at 6:00 pm Monday thru Thursday. My sister loves that since it gives her a little time to get dinner ready and clean the house a bit; and I love it because it gives me fun time with my nephew. I have such a good time watching him learn new stuff!

Afterwards I dropped him off at my sister's house and we chatted for a bit. (Have you guys ever seen the film "Best of Show"?? It is HILARIOUS! I heartily recommend it!) She was making dinner with sourdough bread and cheese...I told her that I'd have to wait until Sunday before I could have any of that. She is just so impressed - maybe SHE'LL do Body for Life (none of my sisters has a weight problem but she could do with some muscle definition!). My BOSS came up to me today and asked me questions about lifting (I advised glutamine for soreness and to increase the weight with fewer reps - she's already doing the moves slowly). Maybe one day I'll have the guts to tell her about BFL and loan her the book!

Mmmm...I can smell the aroma of my George Foreman grilled boneless skinless chicken breast...with my brown rice and carrots!!! Gotta run!

ShelleyM
07-24-2001, 06:53 AM
Sue-Be careful about not over doing it. Go over to www.leanandstrong.com, and they can let you know why you shouldn't. You can start burning muscle instead of fat.

Mrs.J- My 11 year old daughter wanted to rent that movie, but my 13 year old didn't think it would be any good. I'll have to go ahead and rent it on your recommendation! Also, I'm going over to the Hussman site! I have printed up everything over there to read over and over again, and I want to get my printouts updated!

Today is back to work. I woke up at 4:00 and did the recumbent and Airdyne together. I don't know if it is right to alternate or not, but I did. I'll probably have to start doing cardio in the afternoons after work anyway. Too much sweat after showering for make-up to stay on my face!!

BTW, if anyone is going to try Chocolate Lovers Myoplex, my fav is Choc mint. The others (IMHO) don't have as much taste. I might have added too much water and not enough ice, though. I have practically broken my VitaMix machine with all the ice I use in the drinks. It keeps resetting itself!

Off to work!

nasus40
07-24-2001, 08:07 AM
I actually did a diferent machines when I went back I hit diferent target muscles so I did not work the exact same muscles, except that I did do too much cardio.

I was suposed to run this morning but it is already 81 degrees here and only 5:30 so I will try to do it at the gym. or I will do stair master. I have never ran on a treadmill. I hope I do not tend up in a pile on the floor. :lol: :lol: My DD did that one time. I was doing the SM and she the treadmill I heard a thump and yelp, and there she was a small pile on the floor at the end of the treadmill. :lol: poor kid she is only 12 but as soon as i foound out that she was not hurt i laughed so hard!!!!

2BFIT1
07-24-2001, 10:04 AM
Hey Sue, I'm an RN also.What's your specialty?
~~~Sil

MrsJim
07-24-2001, 01:44 PM
Wow! What a terrific cardio workout I had today!

First off, I 'overslept' - for me, that means I woke up at 5:00 a.m. rather than 4:00. Jim said my bod probably needed the extra rest. I sprang out of bed, got dressed, had my glutamine and BetaGen (I use a Diet Snapple bottle to shake it up - holds 16 oz so I know I'm starting the day with two cups of water right from the get-go) grabbed my CD player and high-tailed it to the gym (a five minute walk from our pad). Luckily, there was a Precor machine unoccupied (miracle of miracles). Started my 20 MAS - my legs felt like they had springs in them! Just tons of energy. I felt like Secretariat must have when he won the Belmont Stakes in 1973 (don't know if you've ever seen that clip, but it's probably the most incredible horse race ever caught on camera - he just kept going FASTER as the race went on!!!). For my '10' I had the incline all the way up to 20 and was feeling so good, I cranked the resistance all the way up to 18 (out of 20)...did a very moderate 10 minute cool down, hopped off and left the gym!

Some of the old-timers at the gym who have been accustomed to seeing me cranking on the Precor for over an hour must be wondering why I am now spending so little time on the machine now...

The 'bloated' feeling I had Sunday night and yesterday morning is about gone after less than two days' worth of clean eating...I'm feelin' fine!! C2 is going to ROCK!!

nasus40
07-24-2001, 07:22 PM
OH Mrs.Jim that sounds so good! I am trul;y excited. I hired my personal trainer today. NOT A BFLer butt one that will get my tail moving and show me the right way to use the machines and do the esercises, and kick me in the but to move!!!! I am so excited about it I can not wait till thursday. I may have to tweak my cardio and strenght days to fit in the new schedule but it will be worth it. not to bad for expence either only 35 a week for 2 1hour sessions.

I did my stairmaster as the temp was to hot to run and I did not want to try the running on the treadmill then. so I did 20 on the SM and did 68 flights of stairs. I did hit 10. I usually do like 2 min faster and then 1 min slower I did 4 min faster and 1 slower. till the end I could not talk and was so short of breat i slowed down. I am stiil trying to get my endurance up, I did not dare to take my heart rate!!!!

UPPER body tomorow!!

Sil I used to be a cardiac nurse and that is still my way to lean but that was bback in 94 too much has gone under the bridge now, I do home care. I an the supervisor of a very small office, We have so few clients and employees that the thought is to close the office if it does not pick up soon!!!! the problem is that the nurses and aids do not want to come in we do not pay enough to be competative in this area!

2BFIT1
07-24-2001, 09:39 PM
MrsJim~~~How do you do an incline of 20 with resistance of 18? I keep my incline at 11 and increase the resistance up to 14 for my "10" and I'm whipped!!!!! I applaud your strength and stamina! I am finding that I really lost more muscle strength before my surgery that I originally thought. I can not squat more than 100# without causing a muscle spasm in my shoulder and my left arm still shakes on the last 2 reps of each set on the dumbbell press using only 10# each arm. This is very dissapointing to me. I may have to increase the reps in each set since I can't increase the weight. What do you think?

Sue~~Sounds like you had a great WO today. Let us know how it goes with your new trainer. Oh, and what a small world~~~I am a charge nurse on a 42 bed cardiac unit.

I had a great LBWO today. I know I hit my 10 because I could not have done 1 min of cardio afterwards. Tomorrow is cardio and I think I'll try to increase the incline alittle. Of course, I'll never be able to do what MrsJim does;)
Have a good night~~~Sil

MrsJim
07-25-2001, 12:49 AM
...but I'm hoping to hit a 10 at 20 in both resistance and incline by the end of this Challenge - for a minute anyway...

I'm actually kind of amazed by it still myself, Sil. I was like the least athletic of my entire family growing up - hated soccer and team sports - and I still remember myself at my heaviest, when I couldn't climb up a flight of stairs without taking a breather! In one of those big Lane Bryant dresses - the cotton ones that just slip over your head 'cos that's the only thing that will fit!

Last year I did two metric centuries on my bike (haven't had time to do anything like that this year). I'm used to doing long workouts - many times within 70%-85% of my max HR on average...but it's doing BFL, and these quick intense MAS workouts, that the fat is REALLY starting to come off, especially in my arms - and my legs do feel slimmer - Jim swears they are!

ShelleyM
07-25-2001, 07:38 AM
Had a killer UBWO this morning! I still haven't changed my exercises yet. I am waiting until I reach 10 of UBWO and LBWO. I think I'm at 8 or 9 now. It's hard to change the workout when you only have the dumbbells and barbells to work with. I've been over to Planetkc, and I just can't decide what to change to. It was a little harder this morning, because I am back to the 4:AM workout. I was doing it at 6:AM while on vacation, so it is taking some getting used to. My husband is working nights now, so I am staying up later because the kids hear bumps and noises in the night, and keep waking me up to see what the noises are!

Got made fun of yesterday for toting around a pitcher of Myoplex that I made for my 2nd meal. I used the Braun mixer at work (which made lots of noise), and lots of ice, so I had to use a pitcher to drink it in, since it makes so much! I think today I'll try a ready to drink Myoplex!

MrsJim
07-25-2001, 12:48 PM
Challenge 2, Day 3!!!

Had a really terrific LBWO - hit my quads and hammies HARD. Got a '10' on Leg Press at 320 pounds for six reps - dropped to 270 for the last set of 12s, finishing off with leg extensions at 95 pounds... Then did smith straight-leg deadlifts and good mornings (owww...). I am really planning on hitting my calves hard this go round - got the weight up to 200 on the standing calf raise (Smith machine again).

On the way out of the gym this morning, the gal who covers the front desk gave me such a compliment! She had told me before that she is also doing BFL - today she said that every week I am changing before her eyes! :D Hearing that made me feel so good!

I've made a BFL Challenge binder - with sections for my progress reports from both challenges; a graph where I can record my measurements and bodyfat %'s; exercises (printed off the Internet) and motiviating articles (including Pam B's story and photos), etc. I've printed off the entire Hussman site and inserted it as well...sometimes it's just easier to have a hard copy rather than get on the 'Net.

Debbie160
07-25-2001, 03:06 PM
Hello all! Well, I am on my 3rd day and so far so good. I still feel cravings for my refined carb snacks that I love (WOW potato chips and Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches), but it is really helping me to know I have a free day coming up though. I am really trying to keep in the forefront on my mind what he said in the BFL book about honoring promises to your self. I am proud of myself thus far. Yesterday we ate lunch at a Chinese buffet, which has the potential for a MAJOR downfall for me. I stayed away from the rice and ate chicken and broccoli. Today for lunch was the hamburger place down the street where I stuck to my plan of having the grilled chicken breast (no bun) and fruit salad.

Workouts have been good, although I have quickly learned I am alot stronger than I thought I was. I wasn't sure exactly at what weights to start in order to hit a 10 at the end and for both my UBWO and LBWO didn't hit a 10, except for my triceps. Kept my notes and know that I need to start with higher weights next time. As a former all-aerobic exerciser, it was pretty hard mentally for me to accept only 20 minutes as a full workout.....that is, until I actually did it. I felt like I had worked so much harder in that 20 minutes than I did in my old hour long aerobics classes.

Do any of you know of a good website to get ideas for different workouts for UB and LB? I am sure I will tire quickly of this if I don't have some variety. As always, thanks for your help!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Debbie

2BFIT1
07-25-2001, 03:21 PM
Debbie~~~ You are so right about needing variety. That's why I love the gym. At home I'm stuck with only dumbbells.
Check out the website www.exrx.net/
Click on Exercise Instructions, then on Exercise and Muscle Directory. Then click on list titled Exercises. If you click on a body part, it will list numerous exercises and even show a mini-demo of the exercise..
Hope you find this as helpful as I did (thanks to MrsJim:) )
~~~Sil

MrsJim
07-25-2001, 03:39 PM
Deb - You're doing great! Don't worry, the cravings will subside, I promise!!! Just keep eating those CLEAN carbs. And make sure you get some veggies with that chicken breast! - include 'em in at least two of your meals.

Last night I made Joe's Special - yummy! (If you want the recipe, check www.leanandstrong.com and go to the Cooking Library). Actually I've changed my recipe a bit - I now use twice the amount of frozen chopped spinach - two boxes instead of one - and toss in some sliced mushrooms as well. Gotta get those veggies in...

Fortunately for me, the Japanese fast-food place near my work (Mydashi Restaurant) offers a choice of white OR brown rice, which is great because Jim only likes brown rice when I make it (I use the Near East Brown Rice Pilaf and Creative Grains - both great!). They know how I like my rice bowls - grilled chicken, with brown rice, light on the sauce and extra extra veggies (cucumbers mostly!) Mmmm...

The website that Sil mentioned is great! I printed out the ones I use and put them in my BFL notebook for reference. A terrific book is Arnold Schwartzenegger's New Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding - it has tons of exercises (and it weighs a ton as well). Retails for $50 in hardcover but I got mine on Half.com for about 12 bucks in paperback. Arnold be de MAN (along with Bill P of course!). Pam B (check L&S if you don't know who I'm talking about) uses Arnold's book as well.

Generally I change my UBWO/LBWO's every four weeks. On my first challenge, I used the "Training Zone" offered by EAS - there's a link to it at the bottom of the www.bodyforlife.com site homepage. It's a no-brainer - the workouts are all laid out for you - all you need to do is figure out the poundage.

Guess what? Hussman changed his site AGAIN!! Check it out! www.hussman.com/eas Now I'll have to print the whole darn thing over again! I strongly recommend printing it out and reading it often - along with the BFL book.

nasus40
07-25-2001, 10:21 PM
as time was a huge constraint tosay I got up early and ran I went only 15 min as I did not get out of the house in time but did hit 10 briefly, i did longer intervals going 3 /1 instead of 2/1 so I was impressed. I als oknwe that my bellycancing lesson was tonight. (day 2) They wil take the class up starting in september. I got such a gut ach I thought that I would die! tomorow I have my first session with my trainer. I need that extra shove!!!

Debbie160
07-26-2001, 12:05 PM
Sil, thanks for the info on the website. I will definitely check it out this weekend when I have more time.

MrsJim, thanks for your encouraging words. I think this is the most positive, actice, and upbeat thread out here on 3FC! It's very inspiring!

I'm still hanging in there, but I have to admit, I am looking forward to my free day!

Debbie

MrsJim
07-26-2001, 01:25 PM
This IS the most upbeat thread on 3FC!!! I think it's all those endorphins...

Another suggestion on your menus for each day - On L&S message board, Tall Jen (TJ) does a daily menu check. Post your menu each day - she'll critique it for you. It really helps to get outside feedback! Do that for as long as you need to until you get your daily menus set...

I also look forward to Free Day - in the past I've been going absolutely nuts but I'm going to mellow out a bit starting this Sunday...check this out from the Q&A's on www.hussman.com/eas -

Hi John - My question is on my free day, should I also try to count my calories? If I have 2 cheat meals, and one is a banana split, how bad is this going to hurt me? I have a hard time being totally devoted on my free day, too. I have to have a couple of treats. Thanks!

A Don't overly count calories on the free day. Just be aware that you're not going wild. I've heard so many people saying that people are advising them to totally pig out on the free day, and it just isn't so. Not if they want to lose fat. You don't really want to go a whole lot over 1.6-1.7 times your BMR, but that's not likely unless you're consciously going wild. A banana split is fine. A chocolate bar is fine. Pizza is fine. Enjoy them without even one guilt pang. Just don't eat all of them 6 times a day. Aerobic "tweaking" can also help the fat loss. Also, you don't have to follow the 6 meals a day plan on your free day either, but you're less likely to over-binge if you do eat regularly. And just as a sidenote, this may not happen, but if it does it's a good sign: Be aware of how you feel about half an hour after eating that banana split. If you break a light sweat after eating a carbohydrate treat, it's a good sign, because it signals that your metabolism is in high gear. Try to eat a modest, balanced protein/carb meal about 2-3 hours afterward though, to keep your blood sugar from crashing after that initial rush. Hope that helps! John

Hope John doesn't mind me quoting from his website here!!

nasus40
07-26-2001, 09:59 PM
OMG I think I hit 10 on everything today. He worked my legs, and uppers as well. as he was testing me to see where I was with weights and ability. I admit that I am pretty wimpy but I manages to do it. I waas a bit shakey with some of them but I did it!!!

he also had me do the oliptical for 30 min in intervals. I did a real hard push on that!!!!

Food was bad after I left the gym I had to go to a meeting 1.5 hour away so I jumped in the car and drove by the time I was there I was so ravenous that I ended up eating the pizza that they had. i really did not want to eat it as I wanted to stay OP but I had nothing else and I had been up all day with no food. BAD MOVE!!!! I should have stoped at 1 but no not me I went for #2. but after that I was OP for eating!

susanje
07-27-2001, 02:27 AM
I'm back!!!
Hi everyone,

I was completely off track during my trip to the east and I feel it and hate it...eating clean and gym tomorrow. I am going to restart challenge two (pix - the whole thing - I didn't take pix before now for B4's of C2) I know I was doing emotional eating because I was so off base this past week. Very emotional both seeing my boys (in Boston) and being back home (NYC). Plus everyone took me out to eat..3 times a day...egad. It's been a really off week. I realized I don't even enjoy nonBFL food anymore. Except for Sabretts that I can't get in California, there wasn't much I really enjoyed eating.

The heat was a killer but the humidity was worse. I was thrilled to get back to dry and cool california!!!

We have new people!!! Yeah! I will go back and read the thread tomorrow and say hi individually. For now I just wanted to check in.

Susan

2BFIT1
07-27-2001, 08:33 AM
Welcome back Susan~~~We missed ya ! ! ! :wave:
~~~Sil

MrsJim
07-27-2001, 11:15 AM
GLAD TO SEE YA BACK, SUSAN!!!!

I think we've ALL missed ya...

Gotta get ready for work, going to be an easy day since my boss took today off...will write more then. Had a KILLER UBWO and then went to Spinning - couldn't resist!!! Later...

MrsJim
07-27-2001, 02:12 PM
Let me tell y'all about it...

First off had a KILLER UBWO. I've been mostly concentrating on the Smith machine since I can lift more weight but don't have to worry about a heavy barbell crashing down on my toe! :o I have been totally sore the past few days - expected this since I had a week + off...feels good though because that means it's working!! I wish I knew how much the Smith machine bar weighed though - I'm guessing around 30-35 pounds. So here's what I'm doing for upper bod:

Chest: Smith incline chest press, finishing off with Incline DB flyes.

Thought I could do the flyes with 20 pound dumbbells but had to drop to 15 midway through the set...

Shoulders - Smith Seated Press, finishing off with Smith Upright rows.

These seated shoulder presses were so easy with DBs but much more difficult on the Smith. Love the upright rows though!

Back - Lying rows on that back thingy (where you put the weight on, lie face down at an angle and lift up) finishing with Smith Bent-Over Rows. I REALLY want to get my back defined!!

Triceps - Close-Grip Bench Press on Smith finishing with DB kickbacks. My tri's are a lot weaker than my biceps so I'm mostly working on the negative...

Biceps - my favorite! Seated Alternate DB Curls (started with 10, up to 20 pounds) finishing with Concentration Curls (since I hit a 10 on the last set of alternate DB curls I had to drop from 20 pounds DBs to 15 lb DBs for these).

After this workout, couldn't resist going to Spinning class - I haven't been in ages and I love it! Everyone was AMAZED to see how much more fit I'm looking! I was going to take it nice and easy but Curt started playing songs from Jr. High (Heart, Aerosmith, Led Zep etc) so I probably cranked more than I should have...love it!

Thank goodness for Glutamine - if it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't be able to MOVE this week!

Susanje, after you recover from jetlag don't forget to post! See ya soon!

2BFIT1
07-27-2001, 05:17 PM
MrsJim~~~Sounds like you had a great UBWO.:cool: I also had mine today. Lately I have felt that I get a better WO from the DB's rather than the machines, so I'm trying to do most of my UB that way for the next 2 weeks. I still have alot of weakness on my left arm and cannot get past #10 on the backwards tricep extensions (and still keep good form).

Afterwards, i did 30 min of moderate cardio on the elliptical. I tried playing around with the incline and resistance. I get a MUCH better WO on incline of 11-13, as this includes the glutes and quads. Above 13 and it only affects the glutes. So, I'm sticking with inclines of 11-13 and increase the resistance as I go along.
Always learning, always changing:cool:

Everybody have a great weekend:wave:
~~~Sil

Alyssake
07-27-2001, 10:30 PM
Hi Everyone,

I finally got the book and plan on reading it this weekend.
Just have a couple Q's! Is it cheaper to buy a dumbbell set and bench or get a gym membership. I don't have a lot of cash so I thought this weekend I would go price a set but I wanted some other opinions. It will be a bit hard to do the aerobic bit in the morning because I would have no one to look after my 19 month old daughter. I think I would have to do that in the evening. For the people that are working out at home. What weigh sizes did you start out with?
Congrats on everyone's successes so far! Talk to you later.
Jenn;)

MichelleP
07-27-2001, 10:36 PM
Hi everyone!

I know I haven't posted in a while but I just havent been able to get to typing on this computer. I tried two days ago and actually logged on but my 2 year old always interupps me and starts banging on the keyboard -- working on that .... I noticed today that I am still logged on :) All I can really do is scroll, click and read.

Everything is going great. On C1W3D5. I haven't missed a workout although cardio is a dislike. I was telling my DH that I can't wait until I am atleast 30lbs less which will make the cardio SO MUCH easier - jeesh.

I still have to improve my eating -- I plan well, but on my days off work find it difficult to stick to the plan. Definately need to work on that!

Got my brother to start on Monday but he is having difficulty getting up to do his workout -- 30years old, bachelor, computer guy -- generally lazy and bad eating habits -- and I mean that in a nice way. All day Saturday I was with him going grocery shopping (you'd be surpirsed how little some people know about healthy choices when shopping -- just look in other peoples shopping carts) , hit the vitamin store to get some MRP -- we went with a Canadian type MRP we wanted to avoid the aspartame that Myoplex has (and yes I read your post on aspartame Mrs. Jim ;) but also is is quite a bit more economical and the many people who are doing BFL in Vancouver seem to be using this stuff -- good ratio of carbs to protein). He is having difficulty getting up in the am but once I get his before pics developed I don't think he will have that much of problem -- those are REAL motivators. :D

Well gotta run. Talk to you all soon.

Michelle.

ShelleyM
07-28-2001, 10:10 AM
Susanje-Glad to see you're back!

Today, instead of 20 MAS I jogged 3 miles. I am trying something a little different to try and shake up my workouts. I am on C1W6D6, still with no losses except for my tummy. I do feel so much stronger though! For my cardio the other 2 days of this week, I jumped between the recumbent, Schwinn Airdyne and treadmill. I have them all in a row, so it is easy to go from 1 to the other.

Jenn-I workout at home with dumbbells, an incline bench and barbells. I would rather be working out at a gym, though. So it is really a personal thing, if you can afford the gym and have the time to go there, that's what I would do. However, the sizes of dumbbells I have are 1.5lb,3,5,8,10,12,15,20. I also have some 3lb and 5lb leg weights, which helps if you need to add a little more poundage on your arms or legs. I added a 3lb weight the other morning for calf raises, since I don't have anything heavier than 20lbs. I also have 2 complete barbell sets, but that is something you really don't need. You can do just about anything with the dumbbells. I use a 2x4 piece of wood block to do my calf raises and squats on. The bench I have is really a situp bench that is adjustable. I would rather have just a regular weight bench, but I can't afford anything fancy right now. Everything that I have, has been gathered over the last 15 years! You can find dumbbells super cheap at any of the discount stores or sporting good stores. Even Walmart has the regular ones now. Also, I have a tall weight rack that holds all the dumbbells. This is something very useful, because you can switch them out very easily. It might be something you can get in the future, because I think I paid alot for it about 5 years ago. Hope this helps a bit!

MrsJim
07-28-2001, 12:53 PM
Personally speaking, since we have very little space in our apartment, a gym works much better for me!

I'd definitely shop around - many gyms (especially the chains) offer a 'free trial period' - anywhere from 3 days to two weeks - so you can check 'em out.

Here's what I'd look for in a gym:

*First and foremost, make sure that it's conveniently located so it's not a big hassle to go. Having to travel a long distance to get to the gym can mean the difference between going and not going. Fortunately for me, my gym is about 2-3 blocks away from my house - I can walk there in less than 10 minutes!

*Lots of gyms (again, esp the chains) offer terrific deals throughout the year on memberships. Since 1994, I have been a member of 24 Hour Fitness - it's not the GREATEST place in the world but it's not bad! Every month they automatically deduct $24 from my checking account. For that $24, I get unlimited use of the facility, 24/7 (except for Christmas and Thanksgiving - actually, now that I think about it, they WERE open on Thanksgiving until around 3:00 p.m. last year). They have a really good selection of free weights and machines, as well as childcare, aerobics and Spinning classes, pool, Jacuzzi, etc. Actually my employer has a very nice employee's gym but I prefer going to 24 Hour because it's conveniently located.

* When you go check out a gym, go during the time YOU would be most likely to show up. Understand that weekdays after work (5 pm - 9 pm) are going to be the most crowded. Make sure that all the equipment looks well maintained and everything is clean.

* The salesperson is really going to pressure you into signing up that day - that's their job, after all :cool: but I'd suggest that, if you have a trial period, to use at least part of it before signing up. So many people (especially after the holidays!) sign a big fat contract, come to the gym regularly for about a month and then just never show up (this happens every year between 2 Jan and Valentines day - then the population takes a real dive - must be all that chocolate!!).

*Oh, make a list of the things you're looking for in a gym. Childcare? Make sure that it's offered when you need it - most gyms that do offer childcare usually do so only during daytime hours. Lots of free weights? Precor ellipticals - make sure there's more than just a few - the ones we have are always busy - very popular machine. Yoga classes? Whatever, write them down and take the list with you when you check it out.

And of course, if you DON'T want to join a gym, I hear the Bowflex is really great! And as Shelly said, dumbbells can be had fairly cheaply - check your local PennySaver or whatever you call those free classified ads they always seem to dump in our mailbox every day! Good luck!

Shelley -- don't worry, I didn't start seeing visible results until later in my first Challenge - but I really FELT changes!!! Susanje said she didn't see any changes until Week 11! But as www.hussman.com/eas says "You Really DO Change from the Inside Out!" Just persevere!

ShelleyM
07-29-2001, 08:43 AM
Mrs. J-Do you take Omega 3 oils? I have 1000 mg capsules. The label suggests taking 2 capsules 2 or 3 times per day. Do you think 2 once a day is enough? I just took 2 and keep tasting it. I don't think I can handle more than this.

Free day today! I am not going to fly off the handle, though! I want to start showing some results. Yesterday, the kids and I went school shopping for the entire day (it is tax free week in Fla.), so I was only able to get in 3 meals. As a result, of course my weight is down today. It's just water, I know. Couldn't find any food where we went that was legal for me.

I am definitely feeling my jog and shopping from yesterday! I hurt all over, especially my feet!

MrsJim
07-29-2001, 09:15 AM
Shelley - I take the Udo's Choice Perfected Oil Blend capsules (but next time I order, I'm getting the liquid oil - less expensive). I don't taste anything - just swallow them down with water.

I know that many of the people at L&S mix their EFA's with their Myoplex, or make salad dressing with it. If you heat the oil (i.e. use it for cooking) the good stuff in there breaks down. After reading articles on how good EFA's and Omega oils are, I couldn't resist giving them a shot.

Free day for me today too - I am definitely NOT going to go as nuts as I did in C1...but looking forward to our now-traditional breakfast at Stacks'. Our apt is a disaster area (since I had been spending every weekend at that ranch all day) so Jim and I are going to spend a couple of hours cleaning after we come back from the restaurant (of course HE doesn't know that yet!). Today is Festa Italiana in our downtown area which is always a lot of fun so we'll probably walk over to see everything.

Yesterday Jim and I drove up to Portola Valley and found a really nice stable for me to take lessons at - VERY professional but nice people working there - happy horses and very few flies! My first lesson is in two weeks. We went to another place before that (the one I checked out on Sunday) but the owner's rule of not touching any of the horses didn't sit well with Jim - and I want him to feel welcome too even though he's not taking lessons himself (not yet anyway!).

Afterwards we were starving so went to McDonald's for lunch. You are probably wondering exactly what I ordered - I got the chicken McGrill sandwich without mayo (had them put mustard on it instead) and a Diet Coke. As I've said before I usually don't eat bread except on Free Day but can't stand McD's salads...the McGrill is only 340 calories w/o the mayo and the chicken breast is the exact size of my palm!! (There was an article in a recent Muscle Media issue about what to order at restaurants that highly recommends the McGrill as long as you specify no mayo).

Have a great day, all!

ShelleyM
07-29-2001, 10:40 AM
Mrs. J-Does Arnold's book show exercises using a barbell and dumbbells? I need some new shoulder and back exercises, and I can't find what I'm looking for over at planetkc.

MrsJim
07-29-2001, 11:37 AM
Shelley - YES! Arnold's book does definitely have a lot of BB and DB exercises...I would recommend checking your local library for this book. It must be the essential book on the topic of bodybuilding...

For example, here is a list of JUST the shoulder exercises in the book that use BBs/DBs:

Arnold Presses
Behind-the-neck Presses
DB presses
Military Press
Clean and Press
Push Press
Standing/Seated Lateral Raises
Reverse Overhead DB Laterals
Front DB raises (seated and standing)
Seated Bent-Over DB Laterals
Standing Bent-Over DB Laterals
Upright Rows