Old 02-17-2006, 07:41 AM   #1  

Default Any of you drink protein shakes?

I was talking to my trainer at the YMCA and she mentioned drinking a protien shake or 2 during the day to help me with my weight loss.
does anyone else drink them... what kind do you drink?... how do they taste?.. and do you notice a difference in your weight loss since drinking them or not?

Thanks
Losingitin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, lots of us do. Have a look in the nutrition threads. If I find a thread about them I'll come back here and post a link, OK?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #3  

I drink a Myoplex shake (full nutrition) for breakfast because I can't work out with solid food in my stomach and I need something with which to take medication. I also drink a whey protein shake post workout.

I mix the whey protein with orange juice because that's the only way I like it. Since the orange juice taste takes over, I don't know what the protein powder tastes like. It's probably pretty bland if mixed with water. I buy whatever brand is on the shelf.

I find the whey protein is not a meal replacement and it only holds me for an hour, after which I eat a regular lunch.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #4  

thank you
Losingitin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #5  

I have a whey protein shake post workout. I usually mix it with skimmed milk and a banana, to make me fuller a bit longer. I use the cheapest brand I can find, which here is Body Fortress. I've got the chocolate one at present, it's very yummy.

My weight loss has been stalled for a while, so I am not a good example!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:48 PM   #6  

If you want some ideas on the various brands of shakes available and what people seem to think taste best, check out the thread in the WLS- Protein Shake Recomendations
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:01 AM   #7  

protein does not taste good... if you decide to buy protein mix (Like from GNC or something like that) you may want to find a non-nutritive sweetner to add to it or mix it with juice or something else to make it taste better.
I am currently drinking Slim-fast High Protein shakes for breakfast. I was skeptical that they would taste bad too, but they don't taste like protein at all!
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:47 PM   #8  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

I guess there are 2 types of protein shakes......one that you use as a meal replacement, and another as an alternate source to getting more protein in. I use a protein whey powder as a shake that I make with a blender and ff carb countdown milk. You can also add fruit if you wish. I find with cardio and weight training the extra protein helps keep me full without eating lean chicken breasts all day. Good luck
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #9  
Losing 30

S/C/G: 150/145/120

Personally I don't like protein shakes because I need real food..Lol.
Plus my step father used to be big into body building and would bug us to death about drinking them for weight loss..so I'm turned off of them.
BeautifulIrony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 02:47 PM   #10  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

hmmm, my shakes are not intended for 'weight loss' as a replacement for anything.....the shakes that I make are intended to supplement more protein and vitamins to my healthy diet. My weight loss has come the hard earned way.....lots of excercise and sweat!! Calories in...calories out.
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote