Old 02-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #1  

Default Atkins= liveable lifestyle?

I have been thinking about Atkins.
I need to lose about 70 pounds. I have tried many diets.
But non seem to work.
How is atkins working for you? Is it easy to deal with and live on?
chocolate kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

Read the book. Research other diets (Weight Watchers, Sugar Busters, South Beach, etc). Without all the facts, you won't know if this is truly the one for you. I chose Atkins because of the strict nature of it (induction phase). It's what I need. I like the way I feel (when I manage to stay OP lately) when eating healthy. So research and good luck and welcome
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #3  
Going to ONEderland

I love it because it helps me drop weight very rapidly. I don't feel like I'm spinning my wheels being on a "diet" and the scale never seems to move.

With Atkins as long as I'm careful I see the scale move down regularly. I will stop losing for a couple of days to as much as a week and then the scale will start heading downward again pretty rapidly. Of course, there are things about low carb eating that you need to be aware of. That carbs and salt will cause your body to hold onto extra water (as will exercise). So sometimes for no real reason your scale may go up until that water is gone and then it goes down again. If you can deal with little roller coaster rides like that it is a great diet.

The good thing about it is that it is so strict about keeping sugars and starches out of your body. By following it strictly, you will find that you can eat and not be hungry overly much. All the foods you are allowed are satisfying and you don't have major cravings once the sugars are out of your system. Let them back in only briefly and watch out though!

So for me the low stages of low carb are great. Too much modifying it though and some of the benefit is gone. It is different for different people. Some of us love it others can't give up the starches and sweets.

I like meat, and green veggys and dairy and fats and things like that so it is easy for me to stick to once I've made up my mind to. I also love breads and sweets, but you have to give up SOMETHING if you want to be on a diet and lose weight, and for me it is easier to give them up than it is to limit them.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #4  

Tanks Sherry
I have HUGE problems with sugar and flour products.
I always over indulge in breads and such.
I just got the Atkins book today and the atkins for life book.
I think I will start induction tomorrow.
chocolate kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #5  

Good Luck.. I had great success before, and now know that I can't go back to my good 'ol southern roots of food again. I have hit a stall, and these wonderful ladies are helping me try and figure out what's going on. This is THE place for support, and I highly recommend you use it to your fullest advantage.. *giant grin*
Falon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #6  
Susan hockeyfan7

I've lost 142 lbs so far even though it's taken me 5 years -- and that weight is still gone. I find I feel better when I don't eat sugar. I can't eat bread or cookies or cake or any of that kind of stuff so it's not a problem for me. I like being able to eat a whole steak if I'm hungry and not having to feel guilty about not sticking to a 3 oz portion. For me a 3 oz portion of meat is just an appetizer. I like being able to eat real dressing instead of the fat free crap. I like butter. I enjoy bacon and eggs. I like being able to dip my crab legs in real butter without feeling guilty about the fat.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 02:01 PM   #7  
250/ticker/160

Height: 5"9

I have PCOS so it is the perfect diet for me. I honestly think that once I get to the final phase I will be able to live happily with this way of eating. Best of luck in your choice!!

Lacey
bnbsmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote