General chatter - would you pay $70 for a hair trim?

Sushi Penguin
02-15-2006, 06:02 PM
How much would you be willing to pay for a hair trim?
I'm talking about long hair (it's about half-way down my back at the moment), and about taking off no more than 1-1.5 inches - pretty much just getting rid of the endings to keep them healthy. No layering or whatever, just a straight cut to end up with "as is" only an inch less. And no washing or blow drying or anything. Just a few minutes with scissors.

The place I normally go to is thousands of miles away right now, and I feel my hair needs a trim. See my sig - I want to keep growing out my hair, but it really frustrates me sometimes, so I need to challenge myself to only have the endings trimmed when I go for a cut, and not to ask for a bigger cut. :lol:

Anyhow, I checked a few places yesterday and they asked for $50-$70 for what I described above. That's CRAZY!!! I'm so glad I asked for the price before actually sitting down in the chair, which I was just about to do... eeek!!! I asked how much it would be for a wash & blow dry & cut. Same price. So I said "oh, then I might just as well do that, could I book an appointment for another day?" Not that I was going to actully go for it, but I just needed a way to get out of there. :lol: I'm about to call them to cancel - no way I'm paying this much! And I don't think that's a reasonable price at all!

AquaChick
02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
I would trim my own ends or have my sister do it. There is no way I would waste $70 on a trim.

4myloves
02-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Heck NO!!!!

Margarita
02-15-2006, 07:25 PM
There is a salon near here where the chief stylist actually does charge $70US for a haircut--that's for women. She charges $50 for men. Not that I'd pay $70 for a cut to begin with, but I certainly wouldn't pay that much to a salon that charges me more based on my sex.

AquaChick
02-15-2006, 07:50 PM
There is a salon near here where the chief stylist actually does charge $70US for a haircut--that's for women. She charges $50 for men. Not that I'd pay $70 for a cut to begin with, but I certainly wouldn't pay that much to a salon that charges me more based on my sex.

Yeah.... what's the deal with that? :mad:

josie4
02-15-2006, 08:21 PM
$70 for a trim???? I get my hair cut for $15!!

plb@m
02-15-2006, 08:26 PM
My hair is about that long and I have a appt. on the 21st for $10.
I would never pay $70 .

healthyme05
02-15-2006, 08:59 PM
It really depends on where you live and where you go. Some places charge more than $70 for a cut.

Would I pay $70? My limit is around $50 for a cut. But that should include a wash and style. I don't think many places just cut hair without washing and styling it at the same time. If so that's crazy.

almostheaven
02-15-2006, 10:08 PM
If you're not wanting it styled or any special cut, JUST a trim, why not try a good old fashioned men's barber shop? The ones around here charge about $10 - $12 for a haircut.

Linds81
02-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Or try a super cuts... or a first choice... For $70 I'd want some streaks put in there too!!!

Sushi Penguin
02-15-2006, 10:38 PM
If you're not wanting it styled or any special cut, JUST a trim, why not try a good old fashioned men's barber shop? The ones around here charge about $10 - $12 for a haircut.

That's what I wanted to do, but didn't like the only one in the area. I won't go into a place and have things done to me unless I feel comfortable. :p So I decided to check the other places.
I really don't see why hair salons can't just do a cut without a wash and blowdry and whatnot... :?:

EZMONEY
02-15-2006, 10:52 PM
NO!

But I would pay $70 to have enough hair to cut!;)

inkaholic
02-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Wow, that's crazy. I live in an area where the cost of living is pretty high...I'd expect to pay $30 around here for that. But in another area, I'd say $20-25. Oh well, my best friend cuts my hair (not that anyone in RL besides her knows it)

FL_Chickie
02-15-2006, 11:29 PM
I pay $25ish at most for a trim/cut, and I don't usually bother with a blow dry/style -- I always end up going home and washing it anyway because I hate having little hair trimmed pieces that seem to end up clinging to my neck area after I get my hair cut. I do know someone at work who goes to a salon and pays upwards of $120 to get her hair cut, and hers is a very basic long hair style (pretty much as you described, trim the ends and no layers). I think she's insane, personally. I'd rather save the money and do something more lasting with it than blow it on a pretty salon every six weeks.

Tani
02-16-2006, 12:47 AM
My salon charges $35 for haircuts and gives you 1 free trim between appointments :) I wouldn't pay $70 for a trim.

almostheaven
02-16-2006, 12:56 AM
I paid $30 something this past fall to have my hair washed, cut and styled. It generally costs around the $70 range when I'm getting a perm.

Trixie14
02-16-2006, 01:01 AM
I would never ever pay that much, I dont think they should charge you different amount b/c of the length of your hair...thats crazy

The guy I go to costs about $14 for a haircut/trim, I wouldnt pay much more than that.

es_angel
02-16-2006, 01:41 AM
I go to First Choice for a trim ($15 w/wash) and a more expensive place for a complete cut (wash, cut w/layering and style $55). There is no way i'd be paying $70 for a trim. That's insane, they must be flying high :smoking: on something.:hyper:

~Liz:angel:

Fit_Boo
02-16-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm sure a barber could take care of that for you pretty cheap. Salons will charge a lot just because. Avoid anything that says "stylist"!

I do spend about 50-70$ on a cut, trim. There's one place I loved going to where I actually paid more but it's too far now and my stylist left. I don't go very often though, about 3 times a year so I figure it's not that bad :) I get a gloss and a trim/cut for about 120-150$. It's one of the few things I splurge on except for skin care products. But it's like a whole afternoon. They start with a head massage, and end with a little makeup session. But yeah, for a simple trim, heck, get a friend to do that!

ArtsyGirl
02-16-2006, 08:10 AM
Hey guys, I get my hair fully colored, cut (sometimes more than just a trim) and styled for $60. My hair is about the length described but the last cut she added layers. Can't imagine paying more than that for just a trim!!!

Kim R
02-16-2006, 08:41 AM
I rarely get my haircut and, when I do, it's usually done for free by my mother. :)

However, the last time I got my haircut elsewhere, I went to a Korean salon and paid $25 (including generous tip) for wash, cut and style.

DeafinlySmart
02-16-2006, 08:50 AM
We have this problem every time we have to move. Best thing to do is to sit down with a phone book and call around. THen you aren't embarrassed enough to make an appt just to get out of there. I won't pay more than $15. Call, Call, Call.

DeeJae37
02-16-2006, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't pay that much for curls or have it straighened...I never pay more than $10. for a hair trim.

kitkatbahr
02-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Whoa! $70.00 for a trim?? Crazy! I have paid up to $45.00 for shampoo, cut, and blow dry at a fancy salon. I've also paid in the $20 - 30 range for the same thing at a kind of fancy salon. Then, I've been to the cheap places like in Walmart, strip malls, etc. as well as in the mall. I have never really liked any of the cuts I got. It's hard to get them to listen. You say TRIM and 3 inches get cut off! Agggh. I hate going to have my hair cut cause it's always the same thing, no matter where I go. My hair is shoulder length now and I am trying to grow it out. It's one thing to cut off split ends, and quite another to make short, chunky layers when I asked for long layers and a TRIM. That's what happened last time. I will NEVER go back to that place again. And the stylist was saying how she's been doing this for like 25 years. Right!

Anyway, I finally decided to try out the barber shop where my son goes. I didn't even know they did ladies hair, as all I've ever seen in there is men. But the one lady who works there is really nice and I talked to her about doing my hair. When I couldn't stand it anymore, I finally went in for a trim. She showed me how awful and crooked the last cut was. Nothing was cut even. It was horrible. One side was shorter than the other in the layers, etc. No wonder I had such an awful time getting it to do anything. Anyway, I got her to even stuff up, trim the longer layers that I am growing out. Basically, she did a great job. I am so happy with how it looks and acts now. I will definitely be going back for the next trim at that barber shop.

Best of all? It was only $8.95 plus a tip!

I live in Merritt Island, FL.

Kathy Bahr
Merritt Island, FL

NemesisClaws
02-16-2006, 10:14 AM
When I lived in Washington, DC, I went to this fancy salon called Bubbles. They washed, cut, and style your hair and do a **** of a good job. This was around the $20 price range. However, I ended up not going anymore when they raised it to around the $40 price range, and started being more booked and frankly, snobby.

I have been to several salons and gotten really bad haircuts for cheap. So it is important to find a salon with a price range you're comfortable with, and with a stylist you like. And no, I would NEVER pay 70 bucks for a trim.......

almostheaven
02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Whoa! $70.00 for a trim?? Crazy! I have paid up to $45.00 for shampoo, cut, and blow dry at a fancy salon.
Yup. I did the same. Went to one of the ritzy day spas here on an appointment. And I couldn't tell any difference in the $40+ cut than in the $30 one I got at a nearby walk-in salon.

FrouFrou
02-16-2006, 11:50 AM
For a trim...NO WAY! For a wash, cut, blow dry and style, yes. The most I have paid was $120 and that included a weave (highlights) and the tip. Of course everytime I find someone that does an excellent job they move on me! But I would just find a friend or family member to do a trim for you. In between haircuts and trying to decide what I want to do next, that is what I do. My DD cuts it for me, well, I do the sides and she does the back. $70 for just a trim is just way too much.

Ruthxxx
02-16-2006, 11:53 AM
I really don't see why hair salons can't just do a cut without a wash and blowdry and whatnot... :?:

Well, not everyone who comes into a salon has clean hair!

$70 for a trim is outrageous!

Optical Goddess
02-23-2006, 09:08 AM
No way. I don't think I'd pay that much for a regular hair style/cut, either.
My hair is naturally curly. Even though it can get on my nerves, I know I wouldn't keep up with it if I had it straightenned or anything like that. That just seems so high maintanaince for me at least. I'm kind of a wash and go ( with gel) kind of girl.

In magazines they compare four hundred dollar hair cuts...I've always wanted to try it and see if there was a difference, but only if someone else was paying :)

lessthansign3
02-23-2006, 09:16 AM
I'd have a friend trim it for you. Get a good pair of hair cutting scissors, get your hair wet and have your friend brush it completely straight, and cut. My mom cut my hair for years like this because I too had long hair (it was down to my butt, though!) and there was no sense in going to a salon. I got it cut recently, though, and my hair is still recovering. The woman did a terrible job :( My first real hair cut EVER and she screws it up. It was heartbreaking.

If you don't have a friend who's brave enough, do you have a Super Wal Mart with one of those hair salons inside? Go there. They're cheap.

I think it's strange they'd charge that much, too. I was only charged $25 and my hair was two feet long!! I should've gotten a refund because instead of taking 5 inches they took off a foot, but I've recovered from the shock. Needless to say, Classic Cuts has so lost my entire family as customers since then!!

BerkshireGrl
02-24-2006, 10:54 PM
I have an awesome salon owner I've been going to for 7 years in Lee, MA (Amy at Berkshears, if anyone is in the area, heh!). She charges $30 for a wash, cut, blow dry and style.

She is a very precise cutter, and has great taste. I actually went to her at first because she had bought the salon and redone the window displays in a very creative, fun and eye-catching way. As a designer, that made me think she'd also be great at hair.

Luckily, I was right! :)

I tip her too, even though she is the owner... So I add on $5 for a $35 total.

She also advised me to never perm my hair and I didn't listen and went to another salon and had my hair fried. Thankfully, she forgave me when I came crawling back with my yellow poodle frizz.

But... $70 FOR A TRIM!? *gasp!* *thud!* NEVER EVER! Heck, maybe for a perm, or a dye job. But a straight trim? No way hoosay! :lol:

I'd have my sister do it too ;) Or a good friend whose hands don't shake! Hehehehe!

kaplods
02-25-2006, 05:14 AM
If you have one in your area, Beauty Schools are a great bargain (I've paid $7 - $12). It isn't a gamble, as by the time they let them cut hair, the students are really good. I've always had the best cuts there (because they're being graded, they're always really careful). I've only had one slightly bad experience. The cut (a very short style I wanted at the time) was great, but the girl was so afraid to mess up that it took forever. Although I told her how short I wanted it, she didn't seem to believe me. She kept cutting a quarter inch at a time and asking "is this how short you want it."

I was in college at the time (around 1986) and I only paid $2.50, so I still got one heck of a bargain.

Kery
02-25-2006, 09:57 AM
IMHO, that's a rip-off, no more, no less. Especially that on long hair, sorry to say that, but it's frigging easy for them to do, I don't see what justifies such a price (not even having my hair dyed costs that much).

As a sidenote, I too don't understand why the difference based on sexes (not that I have any choice, ALL hairdressers do that here, and this was in 6 different areas of the country, not only in my town). I keep my hair very short, so why the heck do I need to pay more than the guy who comes in to have his ponytail trimmed? Go fig...

MoNewEngland
02-27-2006, 10:24 AM
My last two cuts I paid $50 + tip for a wash, cut, & dry. The first time the woman did it, it was a well spent $50 I had a whole new style. When I just went recently it wasn't nearly as good, I'm debating on trying her a 3rd time.

For a trim of long straight hair, I'd recommend you go to Supercuts or a chain. Even a local hairdressing school where they're supervised.

jillybean720
02-27-2006, 11:18 AM
When I lived in Washington, DC, I went to this fancy salon called Bubbles.
haha, I used to think they were "fancy" when I passed em in the malls, but Bubbles is actually owned by the same company as Hair Cuttery :p Anway, heck no, I woudl NEVER pay so much for a dang trim! I did used to have really long hair (about down to my butt), and I got it chopped all the way up to about my shoulders, and I don't think it was more than maybe $40, so a trim should be way less than that!

NemesisClaws
02-28-2006, 12:32 AM
They are??? OH my gosh! I thought they were highfuluting fancy! LOL....am really sad though because they did do a great job on my hair, and what girl can pass up a hair massage?? :) Still, I had to quit going to Bubbles when they kept raising their prices. When I started, it was 23 bucks for a massage, hair trim, the works. Now it's like 40 some dollars for that. :(

flipafart
02-28-2006, 01:07 AM
sure if you can afford it

2CMEAGAIN
02-28-2006, 03:23 AM
I would consider $20 A LOT!!!:dizzy: