Old 02-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #1  

Default Cookbook Curious

I found an article about a cookbook in my "Looking Good Now" magazine (which I just love to read).

It's a Slow Cooker Cookbook with 320 low-calorie, low-fat dishes. It's called "The Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook" by Jyl Steinback.

I'm curious if anyone has this cookbook or have thumbed through it and are the recipes doable or are they something that kids probably wouldn't eat?

If anyone knows of a cookbook for slow cookers with lowcal recipes or you have a lowcal slow cooker recipe that you enjoy, please also feel free to share it.

I got a slow cooker from my children for Christmas and now I can't find any recipes that I would think are lowcal enough so the poor thing has just sat still since the beginning of January
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:54 AM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Joanna Lund has TWO cookbooks for the crock pot! "A Potful of Recipes" and "Another Potful of Recipes".... The first book is available as "used" at Amazon for under $5. Her mantra is that each recipe has to be good AND the ingredients have to be available in her small town of DeWitt, IA - which means that pretty much everyone should be able to get the ingredients.

Kimberly

PS. Most libraries carry at least one of her cookbooks.
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

On a side note: A good website to buy books for WAY less is bookcloseouts.com. I just ordered seven books and shipping was less than $4 total. They didn't have the slow cooker book you mentioned, but they did have her quick cooking cookbook. They also have two Joanna Lund cookbooks for $4.99 and $5.99.

I LOVE buying stuff at less than full price.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:07 PM   #4  

Thanks, Kimberly! I'll check that out!
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

A great source of crockpot recipes can be found on the about.com site, in the Southern Foods section. I'm not sure what we are and are not allowed to link, though. If you go to about.com and do a search for them, you'll probably find them eventually, though. And there are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds -- over 1400 they claim! I particularly enjoy the crock pot shrimp creole.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote