Weight Loss Support - Anyone travel A LOT for work? Diet help please!

skinnyminnynow
02-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new and am mostly maintaining at this point. I have a new job where I have to travel a lot (more than 50% of the time). How can I eat healthy on the road? I'm a vegetarian and end up eating lots of room service and airport meals. Ugh. I'm usually out of town for 3-4 days at a time.

Does anyone who travels a lot have advice? Thanks!

Heather
02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Well, I don't travel a lot, but I have done some, and also eat out.

I travel with some healthy snacks: granola bars, fruit -- stuff that travels well that I can eat on the run.

As for restaurants, you can get a lot of info about major chains at sites like dietfacts. Look stuff up before you go, and print it out. Or write down some general info. For instance, Chili's and Fridays have a number of low-cal options

At lots of places I make substitutes (at Red Robin you can substitute a salad for their fries). Lots of places also serve gardenburgers (Red robin, Chili's). Sometimes its not on the menu, so ask!

Ask for dressing on the side; check how veggies are cooked (you can order them dry, for instance). Be your own best advocate!

Hope that helps!

sf40
02-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Hi there! I traveled a lot in my former career, close to 50% of the time, but unfortunately gained about half of my excess weight during that time. But one of my co-workers made much better food choices than I and never had weight issues. Wyllenn gave you some great advice and I have just a couple of things to add.

If you are going to be in the same location for several days, ask the hotel for a refrigerator in your room. When you arrive, find a grocery store and purchase healthy foods that you can eat as snacks or meals in your room.

If you do have to order room service or eat out, make smart choices and watch your portions -- don't feel like you need to eat everything on your plate.

Most restaurants are willing to accommodate your dietary needs. I have seen this with my former co-worker, but you can't be afraid to ask.

Good luck!