General chatter - OT-Sex offender information.

View Full Version : OT-Sex offender information.

GonnaLooseitagain
02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
This is a good place to check to see if you live close to a sexual offender.

http://www.familywatchdog.us/search.asp

AquaChick
02-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Thank you for the link. So many disturbed people out there. And these are only the ones that have been caught. :mad:

stacylambert
02-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Geez guys, I'm kinda freaked out now. One lives IN MY APARTMENT COMPLEX! It says "other offense", I wonder what that would be? I bet it's our handyman. He actually came into our apartment one day while I was here! I could have been naked or god knows what and he just comes in! He's always creeped me out. The next farthest is a rapist .24 miles away. California sucks :(

angeleyezx
02-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Quick post (I have lunch to make, eat and go to uni)
I donít agree with 'knowing' where these people are.
Iím not saying that they shouldnít be castrated but over protective parents/people looking for a fight/etc will start.
Example: a couple of years ago a young girl was abducted in the UK, Sarah Payne, this got a lot of publicity, several newspapers appeared to be fighting for children's safety (I believe they was just stirring to create my news to sell) and many people demanded to know where sex offenders live (and the newspapers backed and continued to stir)
there was 'vigilante/protest' groups demanding for this, when questioned a lot of the men/people when asked what they thought of 'sex' with children, they said it was wrong and disgusting, but then asked if it was a 14+ y/o girl, they said that thatís different, the things those girls wear, they look older and it shouldnít be wrong (BS!)
my main point is at the time one of these 'newspapers' took it upon themselves to print many pages of sex offenders with names, pics and areas.
and I know of one case myself where one of these vigilant groups, saw someone in the area and matched the picture in the newspaper and took it opon themselves to beat the living **** outa him and his home, It was later found out when he was in hospital thjat he was a completely innocent man, who just happen to look like one of the photos printed, poor guy.
Plus! its proven the child/sex offenders who having actually touched anyone but have the offence for say indecent actions and pics are prob getting help and with the more pressure they are under the more likely they are to re offend or commit much worse crimes.
Its not that I donít think we shouldnít be safe by ignorance, Iím just saying people jump to conclusions are most donít seem to be able to handle such information in a sensible way.
Sorry just my 2-cents.
My opinion, good idea if people could handle it without jumping to conclusions and dont take the law into their own hands...

almostheaven
02-10-2006, 11:04 AM
My opinion is that they should have different categories. I don't call an 18 yo sleeping with a 16 yo a sex offender. But someone who actually physically rapes someone against their will, and ANYONE who takes advantage of an actual child that was simply too young to make such a decision, or too scared, or whatever, should be placed into a penal colony for life. Someplace specifically for sex offenders to live out the rest of their days away from the rest of us.

It's much more humane than the idea a relative planted in my head years ago. Something about giving them a butcher knife, clamping their genitals into a vice in a barn, then setting the barn on fire. Give them the option.

angeleyezx
02-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I've heard a few of my relatives say the smae and I dont so much disagree.
Here the age of which an individual can have sexual intercourse in 16,
but alot do have sex before that age, I do think that an 18y/o having consensual sex with a 16y/o could be a sez offence as older guys can groom younger girls etc.

MrsJim
02-10-2006, 01:23 PM
That looks like a third-party site - and according to their own FAQ page, the info isn't complete or up to date.

I would suggest as a more accurate alternative checking your state's "Megan's Law" website instead - google "Megan's Law" and your state abbreviation and you should be able to find it. Here's California's URL for instance (http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/).

As the KlassKids site (http://www.klaaskids.org/pg-legmeg2.htm)states:

The best source of information on the registered sex offenders in your community is quite often your local sheriff's office police department. If a Website does not represent your community, you should check with local law enforcement.

(BTW that KlassKids link lists all the official state and county-operated Megan's Law sites, with links)

Fat Melanie
02-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh.... my....GOD!!!!! No seriously, OH MY GOD!!! There's like 7 living in this little area, and I clicked on one, and it turned out to be my ex boyfriend's really good friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so shocked right now!! :0 :0 :0 :0

Fat Melanie
02-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Oh jesus. Jeeesus. Another one turned out to be someone I went to school with, who I saw just the other week (and who tried to ask me out.) Luckily I always disliked him and said no. Urrrgh. Urggh. I wish I had never looked at this!!!!

cinnamonspice
02-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I found someone that I went to college with. He and I sat beside each other in one of my classes, we even studied once or twice together. OMG, just goes to show you you never really know people!

stacylambert
02-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I actually checked the Megan's Law site earlier this morning and it also says the guy still lives in our apartment complex and that he had committed "lewd acts with a 14 or 15 year old"

Fat Melanie
02-10-2006, 03:42 PM
The one that tried to ask me out, who I hated in high school, had "indecent liberties with a minor and sex arousal with a child." URRRRRGH. Oh my god.

AquaChick
02-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Like I said, these are only the people listed. I'm sure there are a lot of these creeps that never get caught.
:( Ah, a crazy world in which we live.

BerkshireGrl
02-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Man... the tiny city I live in has 22, a few less than a mile away. The town I grew up in has 2.

I understand these people may have 'paid their debt to society' but YUCK. I feel like I should put up a Klingon cloaking device or something, around the friggin' WORLD.

Knowledge is power right? Maybe I should sign up for a self-defense class... Hmmm...

NemesisClaws
02-11-2006, 07:47 AM
My area has over 112 of them alone, with two right in my neighborhood! Goes to show how you have to be more alert. But while this is helpful, keep in mind that these are only the known offenders......there's a lot of unknown offenders who never get reported...

anyothername
02-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Holy cow. Thanks for posting this link. Found out that there is a double offence rapists right up the street, and a sex offender half way house .5 miles from me, with eight rapists at that address. The reasons I don't go out alone at night...

almostheaven
02-11-2006, 04:08 PM
BTW, I wanted to respond to angeleyezx's comments about reasons for not making this info. public.

There will always be people who will take the law into their own hands. But taking the chance that it should happen over taking the chance that a rapist will rape again? Hmmmm I know which I'd prefer.

Finding out that the uncle who molested me as a child molested others in my family, including all 5 of his wife's kids, is little consolation to the under 12 yo and under 16 yo victims who were not family for which he finally spent 2 years in prison. Yet he still walks free and lives free in the great state of FL, he and all his pervert buddies, has never been beaten up for actions, and "two years"??? He's ruined countless lives, and he got 2 years???

I'm all for simple and efficient castration. Then perhaps we wouldn't need to post anyone's picture nor worry about them being targeted. I'd feel better if the children weren't being targeted. :( I dunno, I've always felt the victims should get to decide the punishments.

angeleyezx
02-12-2006, 06:06 AM
Im very sorry to hear what happened to u and others at the hands of that horrible [person].
I sincerely hopes he and anyone how has commited a sex offence to childern or adults gets their genitals caught in a bear trap.

Now after all that Im scared Im gonna offend someone, which is not the purpose of this post and I dont think I was very clear on what I feel about this so I explained exactly how I felt to my bf who is ery articulate and he is typing what I mant more as I type, Ill enter it as a new post under this.

Im not saying that I wouldnt want to know, quite the oppersite. If that information is avalible here I guess Id be one to search on it to check for my safety and other people I know even though it may be offenders in other towns that may be an problem.

But my point was that, well The hypocrites who said that would sleep with a 15/14 y/o and wouldnt count that as an offence because "she was up for it" and "looks old enough" when a child of that age may not know whats right.

And people taking the law into their own hands,
one/sum these people would get arrested and charged :(
If they get the wrong person and start a vendetta that person's life is ruined.
Plus the equally concerning is that Offenders under pressure are more likely to reoffend (studies)

Because Unfortunately the justice system doesnt punish these [people] enough, maybe child sex offenders should be looked like as an illness to develop "treatments" like couseling to further prevent them from offending.

These perverts are not imprisoned long enough, I would like to see them off the streets, but the reality is they arent so anything that helps prevent future attacks, like understanding how they think may be benificial.

Im getting offtopic now, I once and I guess would still like to be a forensic/crimal psychologist.

My points was made about this link, Im not against if, knowlegde is power, unfortunately people arent always good with power.

angeleyezx
02-12-2006, 06:16 AM
I don't want you to get the wrong idea. I in no way support or condone the actions committed by these criminals. But for the safety and protection of all individuals involved, some system should be put into place to educate concerned parents and rehabilitated offenders.

A concerned parent who might very well have a condition of their own (anger management), could take this information and put there own life's at risk. How much good does it do for someone who has a misunderstanding of justice to know where someone found guilty of being an offender might live? These people themselves might be the ones finding themselves in jail as a result of action taken under the pretense of defense of their own children.

Rehabilitation of offenders is absolutely necessary for a habitual change in the person. Convicted offenders should not be released back into society after punishment without treatment, or continued treatment. Beneath that horrible offense is a person like you or me that needs help. By reaching out, counseling, and taking the problem seriously we can drastically lower the chances of a repeat offense, make a difference in the persons life, and make the entire neighborhood safer as a result.

Posting all of the offenders personal information on a public website for everyone from zealots to neanderthals to see is not the proactive way to solve the problem.

almostheaven
02-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I don't think you CAN rehabilitate offenders. For one thing, many of them claim it's a disease, and you can't rehabilitate a disease, and the cure for it has not been found. I know that same uncle of mine was caught in an inappropriate situation with his infant sister when he was 5. Seems he had problems at a very early stage. And no...my grandparents weren't molesters and were very good parents. Out of 9 surviving kids (3 boys, 5 girls, one adopted girl) only 2 had problems. Plus, sex offenders have an extremely low rate of rehabilitation (for those that haven't at least been caught reoffending anyway), and an extremely high rate of repeat offenses.

Those people picking the wrong person, that was something they did wrong and should be locked up for. Even if they'd picked the right person. Having that person's info made public didn't cause them to choose the wrong target for their anger. If the wrong person's info had been posted, that would be a different story and cause to sue the governing body who posted it incorrectly. But I still wouldn't think it would negate the need for the service.

I find it a very proactive way, in that people are made aware, so perhaps parents won't get too lax. And so they can hand-pick the communities in which they want to live, so they know the strangers that come around their home might bear closer scrutiny while in the presence of their home/kids. It helps some people. And some may get hurt by it. But if we stop doing everything to help someone just because there's the possibility of someone getting hurt by it, what good will that do? I'm all for punishing the criminal. Whether it be the rapist, or the angry citizen who beat them up. There would also be less vigilante activity like the one you described if they did lock those involved up for long periods of time. But they probably sympathize and give them a minimum sentence. Just like the rapist who gets out in 6 months or 2 years, or who gets home confinement. Ridiculously low punishment that just leads to more offenses.

Now, it doesn't offend me. Everyone has their own opinion about matters. But until they start locking them away for life, keeping them away from our children, I'm glad they post it. For another, I have my uncle's FL link bookmarked and check it ocassionally. I like to know where the scum is. And it had best be a few states away. My family didn't think it appropriate of me to leave whenever he was coming to visit, nor to explain to my daughter how she was to never allow him to be in a room alone with her, etc. Too bad, so sad. When he molests them, they can speak to me further about how I should treat him.

Anyway, I find it appalling that FL has him listed for the under 12 Sexual Bat. and the under 16 Lewd, Lascivious, for which he spent 2 years in a FL facility and remains on supervised status. But have neglected to mention the 2 years he did in OH for similar offenses. Or that the state of OH removed all 5 of his wife's children because of him molesting them. For which he never did any time. :(

Fat Melanie
02-12-2006, 11:48 PM
It just goes to show how the justice system can be so screwed at times.

Why in the world would your family even want to be AROUND him after what he did???? I'm rather outraged on your behalf after reading this.

almostheaven
02-13-2006, 12:01 PM
It just goes to show how the justice system can be so screwed at times.

Why in the world would your family even want to be AROUND him after what he did???? I'm rather outraged on your behalf after reading this.
I guess because blood is thicker? I dunno. I couldn't figure out why his wife stayed after they took all 5 of her kids away and placed them in foster care. She later divorced him, but not at that time. :(

He's like the black sheep of the family, but the one no one acknowledges. Like they don't want the public knowing of their dirty little secret...so they pretend there isn't one. My cousin, whom he also molested, now lives in FL and treats him like her uncle again. And she's a very stubborn, strong-willed gal. I don't know why she associates with him again after that. Everyone's different in how they approach things I guess.

My problem with how the family approaches it is that they don't take my feelings into consideration in thinking that we should all just pretend it didn't happen. And in knowing that the non-family members may not have been molested if he'd been in jail where he belonged from the first instances.

anyothername
02-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I really agree with both sides, so don't have a clear opinion. However, i am a woman living alone, in a town where I have no family. Sure I have friends, but they don't expect to hear from me everyday. The more information I have, the safer I feel. I like knowing that yes, there are not just hypothetical threats in my neighborhood, there are people who have done things before. Just that keeps me more alert, etc. Might sound backwards, but feelings aren't always rational.

But there is also the fact, that this site could create a false since of security. "Oh, there are no sex offenders in my area". One: people can drive, outside the neighborhood which they live. Two: Many are never reported.

almostheaven
02-13-2006, 08:56 PM
In this day and age, I think one would be hard pressed to find any area that didn't have a sex offender listed. ::sigh::

I've seen enough and been through enough to learn not to develop any sense of security. Maybe it's a sad position to think that one always needs to be wary, but if it keeps us safe...

My husband spent the first few years, after I moved up to NH with him, trying to get me to stop locking the car doors, both when I was in or out of the car...to stop looking in the backseat before opening the door, etc. There, people leave their house doors unlocked. But nope. It was something so ingrained into me, I never stopped doing it. Now that we're back in the city, I don't have to relearn it all over again. Since I never stopped, I still do it as a second nature. I'm constantly scanning around me for dangers, always wary of a possible carjacking or someone following me. I guess living in an area where security guards were mugged and dope addicts chased my parents' car across the bridge trying to gain entry while they were moving in traffic....one can never be too careful.

anyothername
02-13-2006, 09:07 PM
The area I grew up in has none listed as living there, however, I know several people who have been assaulted in the area.