General chatter - What is the one thing you WILL NOT give up?

~Shawna~
02-08-2006, 06:05 PM
While you're doing this weight loss journey, what is one thing you will not give up? For me, it's either my coffee or diet coke. I know diet coke is low calorie, but I do drink it on the weekends as my treat.

Ruthxxx
02-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Why would you need to give up diet coke? The caffeine?

I will just not give up having a glass of wine with a good steak - Alberta beef, of course! :lol:

1dayatatime
02-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Honestly, I'm calorie counting so I don't have to give up anything. As long as I account for it I can have it. But if I was on a restriction diet then I would never give up sugar in my coffee. I can't stand artificial sweeteners in coffee. I like them in tea, but don't put nothing but sugar in my coffee :D

alinnell
02-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Okay, this is bad. I cannot, will not, give up full fat sour cream. I don't use a lot of it, but when you need it, the low fat stuff just doesn't compare and the food tastes bland without it. So, for a rare treat, I'll put the real stuff on whatever it calls for!

LucyGoosy
02-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Diet coke. I am almost ashamed to admit how much I depend on it. You don't want to be around me if there isn't some in the house in the AM.

maegdaeien
02-08-2006, 07:42 PM
This is probably very, very bad, but I just can't give up alcohol. Nothing is better than a glass of wine or two when I get out of school and work after a long day, and... I am a college student. :^:

srmb60
02-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Yup, what Carrie said. The beauty of calorie counting! Nothing is taboo!

tobetheman
02-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I love diet coke. I like to switch between fresca, rarely, and diet dr pepper.

Meg
02-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Count me in with the coffee and Diet Coke crowd. I'm living proof that you can drink a pot of coffee every day and lose. And keep it off. :coffee:

They'll have to pry both of those out of my cold, dead fingers. :lol:

almostheaven
02-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Everything I love. But I figured out that I don't have to give them up, just enjoy them more moderately than I had been. Like a couple of weeks ago, I had a candy bar for the first time in ages, but I allowed for it in my calorie count and still kept my weight going down. Yesterday, I enjoyed a Wendy's Frosty. I got a Jr. size, rather than the super size I used to get. LOL And I added the calories into my count.

chicagoposter
02-08-2006, 11:10 PM
i can't give up my coffee. no way. (and complex carbs).

rysmommy
02-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Okay im bad, But i am counting cal's and eating pretty healthy the ONE thing I will not give up is a potato! I love them and have one about 2-3 times a week! And since the start of the year im down 14 lbs so it's okay for me to do this according to my body :)

DeeJae37
02-08-2006, 11:38 PM
I really don't give up too much, I just eat smaller portions....but if I had to decide on something I would NOT give up....I would not give up full flavor of anything for Fat Free....for example, I have to have regular sour cream, regualr mayo, and at least a few bites of something sweet after dinner, like a low fat mini size candy....so far it works for me, I've lost 14 pounds since Jan. 1st.

DJ

~Shawna~
02-09-2006, 09:40 AM

I will just not give up having a glass of wine with a good steak - Alberta beef, of course! :lol:

I did hear from someone that diet sodas are still bad for a diet...maybe I'm just hearing rumors....I dunno.

srmb60
02-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Another fabulous perk to 3fc is that if you ever hear anything weightloss or fitness related, you can check out it's veracity here.

2frustrated
02-09-2006, 10:16 AM
I won't give up Pepsi Max since it gets me through my day and fills me up! (With bubbles!)

I also won't give up chocolate. :no: Not at all! One measly chocolate a day keeps me happy!

Glory87
02-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I gave up a ton of stuff happily, forever. I gave up fast food, soda, packaged baked goods, packaged cookies (home made baked goods/cookies are different), chips, french fries - the list goes on and on. Those things were easy to give up because they are terrible for me and have very little (to NO nutritional value).

I couldn't give up:

Red wine
Lattes - but I did switch from venti full fat with syrup and whip (oh, about 500+ calories) to tall non fat sugar free lattes (110 calories, non fat milk has protein!)

laurie2275
02-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Well,
I own a wine shop so I HAVE to drink (but its totally for work...ya, ya..research..ya..thats it...research)!!

srmb60
02-09-2006, 11:59 AM
I like red wine too! Where's that shoppe Laurie? And when's the next tasting party?

stacylambert
02-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Fast food. I've heard all the lectures, I've seen super size me, etc. But I still want it. I still eat it. And I lose weight eating it. I'm a calorie counter so I just make it work in my calories.

YP1
02-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Two main ones - chocolate and alcohol (mainly red wine but also spirits, I've pretty much given up white wine and beer though). Even cheese and bread are becoming more and more infrequent in my diet so I think I could lose them.

Of course, there are lots of other things I wouldn't want to give up, but they're all healthy so I don't have to - no-one's taking my fruit and veg away from me ;)

crk05
02-09-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm in the Diet Coke crowd. I just absolutely LOVE a can of diet coke in the afternoon, especially during the summertime. :sunny:

Shalynn
02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Count me in with the coffee and Diet Coke crowd. I'm living proof that you can drink a pot of coffee every day and lose. And keep it off. :coffee:

They'll have to pry both of those out of my cold, dead fingers. :lol:

Are you drinking black coffee?

I refuse to part with my latte each morning - I haven't figured out the caloric count on it.. but it's a lrge skinny latte w/sugar free caramel iced.. I can downsize if need to :( .. However, I must part with its partner.. the coffee cake.. They were so beautiful together.. it's just heart wrenching to rid of it but it must be done.. lol.. :dizzy:

MiaManning
02-09-2006, 03:25 PM
:D Shalynn-that was cute!

Well I'm with the alcohol crowd. And I am also a calorie counter so I would just incorpoarate my faves into my calorie range. I would eat low calories all day so I can have a piece of cheese cake and a screw driver!:carrot:

bandit2
02-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi - the one thing I still have is popcorn when I go to movies. I plan for it & thoroughly enjoy every mouthful!

~Shawna~
02-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi - the one thing I still have is popcorn when I go to movies. I plan for it & thoroughly enjoy every mouthful!

Oh!!! good one. I just went to the theatres last night (saw "When a Stranger Calls") and I shared a popcorn with my friends. I agree with this one. I mean, the smells and the sounds of the rustling bags during the movie lolol I don't go to movies very often (once every 6 months hehe) so I figure..why not? But like you...I plan it so first off, I don't go over my calories for the day, and second, so I don't feel guilty for eating it.

happytx
02-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Count me in with the diet coke drinkers, no way can someone touch that, i do only have 1 now, so I dont see the harm, and my 2 x per week nonfat sugar free vanilla latte, I used to do the non fat white mochas, so ive scaled back, but Im not giving up everything!! :lol: Oh and real homemade tortillas, I only eat them at special occassions, but dont ask me to even smell or touch a fake one, and especially one thats fat free?! :D

la3y_un1c0rn_37
02-09-2006, 03:58 PM
You can put me in the diet drinkers club....I have a one a day habbit...Its better that drinking the real thing so I say DRINK ON!!!!

Meg
02-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Are you drinking black coffee?

I refuse to part with my latte each morning - I haven't figured out the caloric count on it.. but it's a lrge skinny latte w/sugar free caramel iced.. I can downsize if need to :( .. However, I must part with its partner.. the coffee cake.. They were so beautiful together.. it's just heart wrenching to rid of it but it must be done.. lol.. :dizzy:

Yep, Im a black coffee drinker. :D

Once in a while I'll have a skim latte with SF vanilla as a treat, but even a small is 120 calories and that's hard to justify very often. One of my cardinal rules is -- never drink your calories!

Good for you for dumping the coffee cake! According to the Starbucks web site (http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_info.asp) (don't know if that's where you go but it's probably similiar) a large (venti) skim latte is 210 calories but a piece of crumbleberry coffeecake checks in with a whopping 670 calories!! :faint: You're much better off with the latte, and the milk has some nutrition to boot.

blues4miles
02-09-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm a calorie counter, so yeah nothing is off-limits for life. However, coffee makes my world go round...usually I take it black (no calorie) and add some equal or no-calorie sweetener to it. But I still drink a "low-fat" small bottled Starbucks mocha frappucino most work days...my 180 calories of sanity, and I don't plan to give it up anytime soon :D

:coffee2:

telemetrynurse
02-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I gave up caffeine ---I was consuming about a 2 liter of diet mountain dew daily!:o

what I can not live without is CHOCOLATE :T

almostheaven
02-10-2006, 12:00 AM
I did hear from someone that diet sodas are still bad for a diet...maybe I'm just hearing rumors....I dunno.
I've heard that the carbonation can sometimes help retain weight for some reason or other.

happydaisy
02-10-2006, 01:33 AM
Shawna - how was "When a Stranger Calls?" I may go see it this weekend... I can't give up living well. Every time I have tried to lose weight I turn down invitations to go and get generally stressed at social functions, feeling that I can't lose weight and do those things too. This time it is all about moderation, accountability and incorporating my weight loss into my life instead of the other way around.

TribeFan
02-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Regular coffee creamer. I gotta have it!

Kim R
02-12-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm not giving up anything completely for the sake of losing weight. Of course, some things are now just for special treats.

However, there are things I work hard to avoid for health reasons - trans fat being on the top of my hit list. Lots of packaged goods are taboo. Fortunately, with the new labeling requirements, companies are starting to provide trans fat free alternatives. Also, I like to prepare food from scratch as much as possible.

mocha74
02-13-2006, 02:23 AM
I'm in to portion control so I can pretty much eat anything however if I had to pick one thing it would be ICECREAM!!!!!

kykaree
02-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Chocolate, can't possibly live without it. I can now go 6 days without it, which is a bit of an achievement :D But I gotta still be able to have some occasionally, or I'll binge!!!

I thought I couldn't live without icecream, under my rules I can only have the best quality icecream, no second best. Which means a half hour round trip walk to the local deli. Which is only open a few hours a day. So most times I settle for no ice cream!

halifaxhoney
02-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I won't be giving up my diet pepsi. I drank way too much but now I only have 1 glass a day.

VelVeeta
02-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Macaroni and Cheese (hence the screen name) and Taco Bell. Sorry i cannot give up either, they are just too good.

LaurieM35
02-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Ok another coffee and diet coke addict here too!

Meg
02-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Another soul sister! :coffee:

junebug41
02-14-2006, 01:33 PM
peanut butter M&M's. I just can't do it. It's the one food that I refuse to look at the nutritional info on. I have changed everything but that. I consider the calories in everything I eat but those. And I never will. Don't get me wrong, I don't eat them whenever I want, but when I do I fully enjoy those candy covered globs of chocolate peanut butter goodness.

Less of Lena
02-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Chalk up another one for the coffee drinkers! I must say, though, that I did give it up once for over a year (and my reward was a beautiful baby boy -- definitely a good tradeoff!).

Oh, and my chewing gum. I chew a lot (substituted it in when I quit smoking years and years ago). I'm subtle about it, though. No chomp, chomp, chomp and definitely no snapping or popping. Most times I'm sure people don't even know I have it in there unless they're up close and can smell it.

I like the taste, it keeps my breath fresh and I really think it keeps me from snacking. I provide for it in my daily calories, so it's all good.

Meg2Bthin
02-14-2006, 10:19 PM
I won't give up coffee or diet coke but did give them up 4 times (36 months total) when I was pregnant with each of my children. :)

GreatBigMonsterMomma
02-16-2006, 05:12 AM
Real Swiss cheese. I can never find low-fat real Swiss, so I was eating Kraft lowfat Swiss processed cheese slices for the longest time...then I broke down and bought some of the real stuff for the first time in months. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I'll have the real stuff once a week rather than the imitation crap every day...

Oh, I won't give up breastfeeding either. I seriously know some women who have either chosen not to nurse so they could take pills or what-have-you or weaned early so they could get rid of the last 10 pounds breastfeeding is notorious for making you retain, but it ain't happening over here. I'm on some odd sort of perma-plateau and I think it's because I'm tandeming, but I'm not willing to wean even my two-year-old! I'll be fat a little while longer, thankyouverymuch.

LovelyLatina
02-16-2006, 01:49 PM
The one thing I cannot give up,no matter how much I'd like to or how hard I try is CHOCOLATE! I gave up Pepsi which was one of my biggest addiction but I can't give up chocolate. Being on NutriSystem, I made sure to order lots of chocolate desserts so I get to indulge a few times a week!:D Mmm,chocolate!

veggielover
02-16-2006, 05:27 PM
i won't ever give up pizza.

meowee
02-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Real cream (1/2 & 1/2) in my coffee. I drink skim milk and use it on my cereal and for cooking, but it really sucks in tea or coffee. If my success or failure at attaining a healthier lifestyle revolves around giving up cream in my coffee, I'm prepared to fail.

liz321
02-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Corona's and popcorn

Liz

mareh
02-19-2006, 06:59 PM
I could not and will not give up chocolate. I will eat less of it, but I could never give it up completely!!

Also, tea. I live for a good cup of tea!

tolarge
02-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi! Everyone! I just could not give up my diet rite. I have cut back some. I was drinking, between 4-6 a day.

chick_in_the_hat
02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Another vote for ice cream and also one for coffee. The only difference now is that the ice cream is a smaller portion of Dreyers Low Fat Slow Churn :T and the coffee is flavored with fat free 1/2 & 1/2 and almond syrup sweetened with splenda....pity anyone who has to deal with me when there is no coffee in the morning...not a pretty sight...:o

susie_sunshine
02-19-2006, 10:24 PM
cream in coffee and red wine. Those are two of life's necessities!

lessthansign3
02-19-2006, 11:12 PM
My first thought was "chocolate", and I haven't given that up. I eat sugar free chocolate pudding and every once in awhile I'll have a piece of dark chocolate. It makes me happy :)

My second thought was bread. I won't ever give it up entirely, although I have given up white bread. Whole grain is the way to be.

Trixie14
02-19-2006, 11:13 PM
hmmm...probably popcorn

Misti in Seattle
02-22-2006, 01:58 AM

A few years ago I gave up Diet Coke and it was VERY positive! I would never go back to drinking the stuff... it is just plain not healthful. Also... I did extensive research on the effects of Nutrasweet and since then have avoided the stuff as much as possible. I used to guzzle Diet Coke constantly!

Of course we all decide what to keep and what to give up... but as for why... well... Coke is definitely not nutritious. :dizzy:

Misti in Seattle
02-22-2006, 02:01 AM
Another soul sister! :coffee:

Wow, Meg... looks as if you have given up a LOT and accomplished even MORE. Great job and congratulations!:hat:

MandiMarie
02-22-2006, 11:33 PM
I could never give up popsicles, I LOVE them...I like Dannon's Whole Fruit Bars, because they're only 80 calories and they're sooo good.

They do have a lot of sugar though, so I try not to eat them TOO often.