Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 06:13 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default Countdown to 250....July 18th And Beyond

WELCOME to all who choose to stop here. We are a fun group providing support, encouragement and motivation. We hope you will sit a spell, grab a bottle of water and chat awhile. We would love to get to know you.

Last edited by thinthinker; 07-24-2001 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:14 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everybody! Honey and I had a restaurant and a hotel job last night. It was nice to get away again, even if it was just for one night. My youngest is finally working so that is a big relief here. My new van is in to get some creative pin striping done. My program has been right on the money. I was over 3 points on Monday, but under a couple yesterday and so far today. Life is good in Michigan!

Maggie: Being a vagabond of sorts sounds really appealing. Maybe you'll have a chance to visit Michigan and we could have lunch. An OP lunch, but lunch none the less!

Terri: You sound like you are in the middle of a bundle of boxes! What a fun (and work) a new house can be!!! Sorry you will be AWOL, we'll miss you. Keep good choices in mind when doing the 'fast food' thing. You can lose and still eat out. Grilled Chicken salads, Grilled Chicken sandwichs (no mayo). There are good choices!

Brenda: Sorry about the gain. I'm hearing you on the "how can I lose 100 pounds so easily and then struggle so much..." All I can say is, it's in your head, your attitude. But don't ask me how to change it. I'm still struggling with that one. When I started WW in May of '98, I lost 85 pounds in 10 months. Then I got chocolates for Valentine's Day and the struggle began. I put on 30 pounds over the next year and have hovered in the 45-55 pound loss area since then. I am just now saying 'enough is enough' once again. The trick is to say 'enough is enough' before you put any of the weight back on. I feel as if I will do real well on maintainance, I was just hoping to lose another 150 pounds first. There's a girl in my WW group who does that with her journal. She writes her dinners in and then eats breakfast and lunch accordingly by what she has planned to make for dinner.

Cindy: Come on, girlfriend, here's a good yank. All aboard! Ok, here's where I get 'preachy'. Don't get caught in the rut I did by saying 'I can't journal because I left it at home'. That is NOT an excuse!!! Take out a piece of paper, an index card, the back of a receipt, anything, but WRITE IT DOWN!!! You can always transfer the notes later or just stick the number of points where they belong. As long as you write it somewhere you will be AWARE!!! Ok, speach done!!! [[[hugs]]]

Annie: Oooooh, oooooh. Share recipes ----- pleeeeeeese!!!

Well girls, I'm outta here. Gotta make some dinner. Love to all.

"Stretch your hands as far as they reach; grab all that you can grab." - Yoruba Proverb

Last edited by thinthinker; 07-18-2001 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:15 PM   #3  
MAKING IT THIS TIME!!

I AM SO AT MYSELF. I LOST CONTROL AND COUNT TODAY. DIDN'T EAT A WHOLE LOT BUT ATE THE WRONG THINGS.. THE MADE ME DO IT ... WILL EAT A LOW POINT DAY TOMORROW.. HOPE EVERYONE HAD A BETTER DAY... WILL BE IN TOUCH TOMORROW.. ELLIE
Old 07-18-2001, 09:19 PM   #4  
Thin Within

GOOD EVENING FRIENDS

I have had a wonderful OP day this day. Went in for my eye check and ordered my mono type contacts. I like them. Real weird at first for a day and a half but working fine now.

GERI thanks for starting us out with such a neat welcome sign. Girlfriend you are getting it together now. Things are working for you and you are on a roll. You bet we would "do lunch" one day in your neck of the woods. I'll collect some snail mail addresses of those who want to keep in touch before I go.

CINDY
now that you are back on the wagon come along and ride with us. Yes do journal. I am a great fan of doing that. And drink your water too.

BRENDA the graphic inserted below is for you. You will get rid of that 2.5 plus some friends next week. I like the idea of writing your day in your journal ahead. I do that most days for I know the exact amount of points I have to spend and want to have some for dinner. I could easily eat them all up by mid day if I didn't pencil it all in. Put last week back there where it lives and live this week as it comes.

ANNIE O that we could all be Amazons ~ that would solve our weight problems. Did you mention some delicious recipes? OK we are waiting.

ELLIE the thing is you recognize what happened and you can adjust your behavior next time. Learn from what you did and go on. You can do this thing. You and Flip Wilson and Geraldine!

Maggie still OP in Tennessee

Last edited by Maggie; 07-19-2001 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2001, 08:28 AM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

Good morning ladies! Yes, I am up early. Since my honey has gone back to work, I have gotten up every morning to kiss him good-bye. Now, you probably don't think that's a BIG deal, but I haven't done it in 25 years and now I am so it IS a BIG deal!!! Also, I'm a night owl and he leaves at 6:30 AM so that's a BIG deal too!

My food has been good this morning. Just got up, give me time!!! I was over a little last night. We had started out the morning with a great cinnamon roll as the continental breakfast at the hotel. I did well all day and then made this spaghetti baked thing and well, I overdid it. But I had 'banked' points from the 2 days before and I will do well again today so I'll be just fine.

I have stayed off the scale this week. That's kind of scarey for me as I usually jump on everyday. I know, that's not good either, but I do it anyway. When I'm on track and I see some movement every couple of days, it's the shot in the arm I need to keep going.

I have a stir-fry type restaurant job tonight. Unfortunately, they use alot of oil in stir-fries at restaurants so I will have to be real good today to accommodate. But that's ok too. I have a theatre job again this weekend. I'll work it Friday and Sunday though as DH's class reunion is on Saturday night. Kind of a BIG eating weekend, so I'll have to be careful!

Ellie: That's the right attitude. The day is done, tomorrow's a new one. Just move on and accommodate!

Maggie: I'm trying, girlfriend. I'm trying!

Well, girls, gotta run. I'm rousting my oldest to go to work with me today since I don't have a car and he won't trust me to drive his! Can't believe how many times he's driven mine and I can't take his for one day! He is sooooo particular about his car. That is his prized possession! He drives a bright red Monte Carlo that he ordered with all his gadgets on it. He loves that car!!! Anyway, gotta go. Love to all.

"All things, at first, appear difficult." - Chinese Proverb
Old 07-19-2001, 02:32 PM   #6  

Good Thursday afternoon ladies, sorry that I missed you yesterday. Just came back from the doctor and this makes it -- One Year In Remission! Woooo Hooo! How mercifully time flies, sometimes. I had a Pannini sandwich for lunch which is more points that I would like, but I didn't have time to eat breakfast this morning so I think that I'm still okay (point-wise) for the day. Weather here is hot and humid, but I have managed to stay active. I'm house-sitting and garden-sitting after work so I've been keeping busy that way. Poor dog, I haven't been able to "borrow him" lately because of my other activities. After Friday, I can give him the attention that he so deserves. (I would be doing myself a favor too, by getting out there and walking in the night-time hours. I'm journaling again and watching the points (and hopefully not watching them sky-rocket out of range) I'm going to be on my best behavior and try to make this the start of a "roll" of OP days. You all be good and have a great OP day. Cindy

Maggie, I'm taking my inspiration from you, my friend. I'm so proud and delighted by your success. Keep up the great work!!

Geri, thanks for pulling me on-board! Yup, I needed that speech! I had to use some odd bits of paper to journal today, but you're right, there is no excuse for not journaling because I "forgot" my journal at home. I'm going to get it right. You too are a major source of inpsiration to me. I am so happy to see you working the program so well. Stick with it, girlfriend! It is working for you.

Ellie, hang in there. You can do this. It just takes some practice! Take this from one who is still "practicing" diligently (and who is not giving up)!

Brenda, hi there lady. You will be back on track soon. Look around and take stock of the magnificent job you have done so far and let that be your motivation. Go Brenda Go!

Terri, hope that the move is going well. You are in my thoughts.

To all others who I haven't mentioned by name (sorry), hope that your weight loss journeys are going well this week.
Old 07-19-2001, 05:32 PM   #7  
Thin Within

GOOD EVENING MY FRIENDS

OH it is so hot and humid! Even this late it is 75 degrees with 78 percent humidity. I feel like I have shrunk and am shrink wrapped. However, on the up side of things I am OP again and that makes me feel good to be in control and keeping my focus. My thin person is happy to have been fed these last days. I have a pot of Taco Chili simmering on the stove and will have some later for dinner with a tortilla. Maybe make a wrap. The chili is 2 points for 1 cup. I might as well put the recipe here because those of you who don't have it will surely want it.

TACO CHILI ~ 1 Cup ~ 2 POINTS
1 pound lean ground beef
1 large onion ~ chopped
1 package taco seasoning
1 package (1 oz) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
2 cans stewed chopped tomatoes
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
1 can pinto beans
1 can turkey chili with beans
Heat skillet and brown meat and onions together. Then place with all other ingredients in a 3 quart pot and simmer for an hour.

GERI I am so proud of your trying! But dear, you are not only trying you are doing. It is good of you to get up and give your main squeeze a nice kiss before sending him off to work. Huggs and kisses are good for folks. You give them and you get them back.

CINDY Thank you for those kind words! That is great news from your doctor! I can imagine how happy you are. And look at you.... you are also doing not just trying anymore but really doing it.

Have a great evening all of you.

Maggie still OP on day 17 (but who is counting) in Tennessee
Old 07-19-2001, 09:06 PM   #8  

Default Greetings!

Good evening ladies! How are you all this fine July evening? You sound (or should I say read) as though you are in fine form.

I don't know what is wrong with me. I've been lurking for the past two days not knowing what to say to all of you. You see, I went to WI on Wednesday and although I lost 5.5lbs, I've been feeling kinda down about it.

I don't know if it comes from a lifetime of having negative thoughts and feelings about myself but every week when I step on that scale, I fully expect it to go up - but instead, it just keeps going down! It's like I told a friend of mine today, I'm having a love/hate relationship with my weight loss. On the one hand, I feel happy and proud. On the other hand, I can't see it in myself, I don't believe that it's actually happening to me, I keep waiting to "hit a wall" and I think I may be sabotaging myself on occasion - like all the pigging out I did last week. What's wrong with me?

On the other hand, (by now some of you may be wondering how many hands I have - I assure you I only have two - however my thoughts and feelings fly in every direction) I keep coming to these boards, reading your posts and it makes me feel good. Even though I've never met any of you, I feel for you in your struggles and I cheer your victories. I think I'm schizophrenic (sp?).

Losing weight as fast as I have has kinda tossed me onto an emotional roller coaster.

I have lost 50 pounds since April 11 (that's when I joined WW) and it scares me. On the other hand, I sometimes wish it would come off faster so that I could actually see a difference in myself. I'm crazy!!!

Enough about me. Maggie, thanks so much for posting recipes. I can't wait to try some of the ones that have been added like the Pistachio Fluff and the Taco Soup. They sound great! And now Taco Chili too!!! Hubby will cheer over that one. He loves it when I make chili.

By the way, I think the travellin' life on which you are embarking sounds exciting - just don't forget to plug-in your laptop once in a while!

Geri, I bet you and DH had a wonderful sleepover!?!?!?! Sounds like a good job to me!

Brenda & Ellie, hang in there girlfriends! You'll make it through! Just remember, Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!! ... and keep coming back to these boards, reading the posts and sharing with us. We'll keep you honest!

Talk to you all soon!

Diane
328/278/150

Last edited by Diane in Ottawa; 07-19-2001 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:44 AM   #9  

Good Morning Ladies,

I am thanking Mother Nature, Father Time, and God that today is Friday. I'm exhausted. It's supposed to be in the 90's this weekend, so I told DH that he and the kids could do whatever they want this weekend. I'll stay in the air conditioning and sleep. (Okay, so I'm a party pooper. )

Let's see . . . you asked for recipes. Hmm . . . which one do I pick?

This one seems high in points, but it is especially nice for get-togethers. It was given at a WW meeting when they were doing the fat/fiber plan. I put the points in paranthesis.

DAWSON CREEK DIP

Mix together: 12 oz no-fat cream cheese (16)
1/2 c no-fat sour cream (2)
1/4 c no-fat mayo (1)
Spread on a 9" serving plate with a lip for an edge.

Layer in order: 1-12 oz jar cocktail sauce (3)
2-8 oz cans baby shrimp, drained (8)
1 large tomato
1-bunch green onions, diced
1-green pepper, diced
1 1/2 c no-fat grated cheddar cheese (24)
Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with baked tortilla chips or no-fat crackers. 0 fat/0 fiber Total recipe is 54 points.

**I have made this several times and it goes over well with people. I have not used the canned shrimp, though. I used the little tiny frozen salad shrimp when the grocery store has a 1/2 off sale. I've used SnackWells crackers with this.

DD and I have said that this may be very good substituting the cocktail sauce and scrimp with Mexican fare instead, yet we haven't tried it yet.

ThinThinker: Was it you who keeps a tub of whipped topping in your freezer? This one's for you. This is from a WW meeting, too.

FROZEN SNICKERS

1.) Blend: 1/2 gallon WW vanilla ice cream, softened
2 c lite Cool Whip

2.) Combine: 6 oz Grape Nuts (1 cup)
1/2 c peanut butter
1 pkg chocolate instant sugar-free pudding (dry)

3.) Add mixture #1 and #2. Spoon into cupcake liners and freeze.

16 servings = 5 points each 24 servings=3.5 points each

Add 5 optional calories per serving if using WW Chocolate Chip or WW Pecan Praline ice cream.

**I love this, so I don't make it often - I'd get myself into too much trouble.

You are all doing so well. Keep up the good work.

Have a good weekend. I'll try to peek in later in the day.

2oM (Annie)

Last edited by 2ofMe; 07-20-2001 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2001, 10:31 AM   #10  
Thin Within

GOOD MORNING FRIENDS

It is a good day to be OP. Happy Friday ya'all. This is my very high point day and I am planning how to spend my points. Life is good.

DIANE CONGRATULATIONS on that 5.5 gone forever. You have done terrific by losing that 50 since April wich averages a bit over 4 pounds loss a week. Girl, I don't know why you feel down on yourself. Have you talked this over with your leader?

ANNIE thanks for the recipes. Your Snicker recipe is a slight different version of mine which is only 3 points. Here it is:

SNICKER DESSERT BARS ~ 3 POINTS
2 Cups vanilla or chocolate reduced fat icecream
1 Cup light cool whip
1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 box fat free pudding (vanilla or chocolate)
Let icecream and cool whip sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes. In a bowl beat it all until smooth. About 5 minutes. Pour into a 8 x 8 dish and freeze for 2 hours until solid. Cut into 8 squares.

Everyone have a good OP weekend.
Maggie enjoying her morning Hazelnut coffee through a straw in Tennessee
Old 07-20-2001, 06:57 PM   #11  
bc

Diane it sounds as though you are doing great! It must be an adjustment to lose 50 pounds in such a short time. I haven't lost anything close to that and I had a baby who weighed 9 pounds! Perhaps you could talk to your WW leaders and see I bet they will have some insights.

Maggie, the recipes sound great. I made the taco soup last summer and loved it.

I still haven't gotten into the mode of following this closely. I am trying to include a few more healthy choices in my day. I just have to relieve the sweet tooth I seem to have developed. As I said before I suspect it might be nursing. Isabelle is getting plenty to eat. She has turned into quite a chubby baby. Oh yes she is 2 months old today!

I am needing to drink tons of liquids and have been relying on some diet drinks to vary the flavor (water just doesn't do it after awhile) I read somewhere artifical sweeteners may cause you to eat more so I am considering alternatives. I think I might try some lemon in the water. I have also been making spritzers with club soda and fruit juice. Nice but I can't drink those all day either. Any other ideas to keep away from the Neutra Sweet?

Isabelle is crying for me I best be going.

Barb
Old 07-20-2001, 07:31 PM   #12  

Height: 5'2" on a tall day.

Hi Ladies,
Hope you accept a new "face" in the group. I've been back to WW since 6/6/01 and have lost 24 lbs. I'm finally settling into a 2 lb per week average loss after a fantastic start. I've a long way to go (approx 200 lbs) and I hope I can count on your advice and encouragement when it's needed. Don't be shy. If I need a lecture speak right up!

Diane, Talk to your leader he/she can probably help you work thru this. You might try mentally forgetting you've lost the 50 lbs. and start over (in your head) as you reach out towards a new 50 lbs., rather than think "oh my God, What will I look like, feel like, when I've lost 100 lbs." That's a scarey thought for many of us. Maybe thinking of losing smaller amts. with a "new beginning" along the way will quell you anxiety. Hope this makes sense. It's an idea I'm saving for myself if I need it down the road.

It's going to be really hot and mugggy here this weekend. I'll have to try to get my walking in early in the AM and stay O.P. even if I get miserable from the heat. Never did like hot weather. I'll take 40° to 70° any day!

Glad to meet you all,
j-ann
324/300/130(?)
Old 07-20-2001, 07:44 PM   #13  

Thanks Maggie, Barb and J-Ann for your advice, praise and encouragement. It means a lot to me. Reading over my post from last night, I realize that I was in a really neurotic mood and it showed!!! I tend to waiver between that and euphoria.

I realize that losing a lot of weight in a short time frame (at least I think it's a relatively short time frame) requires mental / emotional adjustments to match the nutritional and physical adjustments. I'm just going to have to work on keeping a positive attitude and maintaining some sort of balance.

Reading these message boards has certainly helped me stay motivated and keep my focus. Thank you all for being here and reaching out.

Barb, sounds like Isabelle is doing great. I certainly know what you're living through right now, I also had a 9 lbs baby girl two years ago and I breast fed her for four months. How long do you plan on sticking with it? I can tell you, the longer you keep it up, the greater your feeling of satisfaction will be. There is no better feeling in the world than to know that YOU are ALL your baby needs!

J-Ann, welcome to the boards. I think you'll like it here. These ladies are very inspiring, funny, caring and supportive. Best of luck to you. Keep coming back and keep us posted on your progress.

Maggie - Snickers Dessert Bars, Oh My!!! Must try those! Hope you have a great OP weekend my friend.

Talk to you all soon!

Diane

Last edited by Diane in Ottawa; 07-20-2001 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:04 PM   #14  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hello everyone! I have so much paperwork to do it's not funny. But what am I doing? Talking to you guys, of course!!! I am about 3 points shy of my total allotment for the week to date. I'm hoping to stay away from anything else tonight so that I have that 3 points going in to tomorrow.

I worked at the theatre today as well as some other jobs, and have to get back there soon, but I wanted to take a minute and jump in here.

Honey's 30 year (eek) class reunion is tomorrow night and we're going. Honey said he didn't really care if he ever saw any of those people again, but I talked him into it 'cuz it was a night out with me and dinner and dancing. Hope it's worth it. I don't have anything to wear. Do you think they'd notice if I went naked???? Yup, I'm sure they would too!

Cindy: Glad I didn't offend you being blunt about journalling. It is the only thing that keeps me on track! A year is a big milestone for you. I hope you continue for many years in remission!!! [[[hugs]]]

Maggie: I'm still plugging away at this. Glad it's all going so well for you. Wow, 17 days!!! Almost a habit! Enjoy your eating frenzy, after all you'll be back to low points tomorrow! Your taco chili recipe sounds wonderful and the Snickers bars, well, YUM!!!!

Diane: How could you be down about 5.5# gone??? I'm just kidding. I do understand the love/hate thing you've got going on. I think on one hand (here I go with the hands) we ecstatic to be losing and at a rate that's greater than average, but on the other hand we have the fear of putting it all right back on. At the beginning, I lost 50 from May 14 to Labor Day. It is awsome and scarey all at the same time. Just hang in there. As you move down a clothing size or two, it will become more pleasant than not! [[[hugs]]] Isn't it funny how much everyone here means to us and we've never met? Kinda Cool!

Annie: The recipes sound great! Yup, it's me with the 1/2 dozen tubs of Cool Whip in the freezer. Too many low fat recipes call for it, to not have some on hand!

Barb: Isabelle is a lovely name. My sons were 8.4# and 9.3# so I'm here with ya on the big babies. I nursed both of my kids and I agree with Diane, it is the best feeling in the world, not to mention fully convenient and portable too! As far as the alternatives to water without the nutra sweet, I'm at a loss. I don't drink regular water either, I use the Walmart flavored water. No caffeine, no calories, but it does have aspartame. Caffeine is an appetite stimulant too. Argh!!!! Of course you probably try to avoid that anyway lest you keep Isabelle awake.

J-ann: Welcome. We always like new "faces". You have had a wonderful start on your WW journey. I hope you'll be here often.

Guess I better get my butt in gear and get out of here. You all have a good night.

"Life is built of the things we do; the only constructive material is positive action."
Old 07-20-2001, 10:46 PM   #15  
bc

I went to the store today and I found a wonderful tool for keeping those fluids coming! It is a water filter machine in the store that will give you sparkling flavored water. The water doesn't really sparkle that much but it tastes great! I got Raspberry lime (or something like that it looks pinkish). I think this is just water so it doesn't have nurtra sweet nor caffine. It cost me about 99 cents for a liter and a half and refills are less expensive like 79 or 59 cents.

Anyway I can use all the tools I can get.

Diane and Thin thinker, I nursed my children each about a year or so. Once they were eating food with us and drinking I sort of let it go slowly so they wouldn't notice. My problem is my appetite goes down when I am pregnant but it goes up after. I think it might be the nursing. I kept track of my points for a few days at the end of my pregnancy and I could easily stay within the range. However now that I am nursing it has returned with a vengance! I suspect I am ok because I am using more calories (she is obviously eating well!) but I don't want to go crazy and eat huge amounts because it will only make it harder for me.

You know I think I have answered this for myself. I need to start tracking my eating so I should start. I have been waiting to add that component when I got working out down, but I need to do this sooner.

Thank you folks. Coming here really has started me in the right direction

Now I have to go back to the store fill my water bottle and buy some fat free cool whip
Closed Thread