Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 04:55 PM   #1  
"GrannyOnTheMove"

Default Cardio Queens Unite! #12 Way To Go!

Everyone come on over!
Old 07-19-2001, 09:44 PM   #2  
On my way!!

Thanks for starting the new thread JUDY!!!

I am so glad you stopped "in" Anne! I think we are all experiencing some tough times (and gains) I'm no exception. My car's been in and out of the shop, so going to the gym has become next to impossible, not to mention my 10-13 hour work days lately. AND we are headed out of town this weekend to Harrisburg to visit friends. HELP!!!!

ANNE: So sorry about your kitty.
I can't imagine what you are going through with all of your hectic changes!

JUDY: You have really been keeping our thread alive! Thank you so much!

Is everyone else going as crazy as we are tryin to fit exercise in??? GIRLIE--where are you??? We miss you!

Womaninlove
Old 07-19-2001, 09:51 PM   #3  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

I'm here! I'm struggling with the motivation with everything going on in my life. So I am going to lurk for a while. We are technically moving the weekend of August 18th. However, my husband does NOT want me to commute.....So we will be in our new home fulll time starting August 31st. I can't wait! m Then I can get back on track and excercising.

I will let you know how our Insulin shot class goes on Saturday morning. I am worried my husband will pass out. He HATES needles and anything to do with them. :lol

Everyone take care for now..........we need to do some brain storming for winter exercise motivation/exercise. What do you think?
Old 07-20-2001, 07:38 AM   #4  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

Thumbs down Interesting Newsletter

Have you seen this from Muscle and Fitness Hers? Pretty interesting.

Nothing is as personal as art - especially music. Whether it is rock, jazz,
country or classic, no one else has the same relationship to a piece of music as
you do. Your like or dislike to it. Whether the song evokes a particular memory
or longing for another time and place or just revs you up for your favorite
workout.

We all have experienced it. You’re in the gym, spinning class, aerobics class or
on the open road and that song starts to play. Your heart rate speeds up and so
does your motivation. You’re ready to fly! It’s intense. Share your favorite
pump-up-the-volume tune on the Forum at www.muscle-fitnesshers.com. You may even
walk away with a new favorite.

Enjoy! - The Muscle & Fitness Hers Team

IT’S NOT A SETUP
There’s a new rumor going around the gym, and it doesn’t have anything to do
with the gorgeous new Spinning instructor. Is it true you can do just a single
set per exercise instead of three and still get the same results? It may sound
like the wishful thinking of a diehard couch potato, but don’t dismiss the idea
too quickly.

In a study published by the American College of Sports Medicine (Indianapolis),
49 healthy men and women ages 20-50 - all of whom had been on a one-set training
program for at least a year - were placed into two groups that did 8-12 reps to
momentary muscular failure of all the same exercises. The only difference? One
group did three sets while the other did just one. After 13 weeks, researchers
concluded that both training methods improved muscular strength and endurance,
reduced bodyfat and increased lean mass. The multiset group showed only 2%
improvement over the single-set group.

Bottom line, if you lift weights for general health and overall fitness, a
single-set workout is a good choice, providing you take each set to failure. If
you lift weights to significantly alter your physique, compete in bodybuilding
or fitness shows or gain muscle mass, you’ll want to stick with a multiset
program. Of course, a single-set workout can be great when you’re pressed for
time, need a change of pace or want to incorporate a low-volume day into your
program.

BREATHING LESSONS
Find yourself gasping halfway through a kickboxing class? Try being more
conscious of your breathing technique. Here’s how, suggests Bryant Stamford,
PhD, professor of exercise physiology at the University of Louisville
(Kentucky):

- Avoid rapid, shallow breathing.
- Concentrate on taking slow, deep breaths.
- Stay in control. “You control your breathing by being mindful of it. Don’t let
your breathing control you,” Stamford says.

BOOST YOUR PROGRESS WITH VARIETY
For the best results, incorporate the following into your routine:

- Limit your rest period between sets to less than 30 seconds.
- Alternate a heavy week (10-12 reps) with a light week (15-20 reps).
- Vary your exercises from week to week.
- Increase resistance (go to muscular failure).
- Take a week of active rest in which you do something completely different
after 12 weeks of training.

LENGTHY LEGS
Looking for a way to get your legs lean? Target your quads, glutes and
hamstrings with this superset routine done once a week.

Superset 1:
Dumbbell Squat: 4 sets; 8-15 reps
Lying Dumbbell Curl: 4 sets; 8-15 reps

Superset 2:
Barbell Lunge: 2 sets; 8-12 reps
Romanian Deadlift: 2 sets; 8-12 reps

Do dumbbell squat for 8-15 reps followed immediately (no rest) by 8-15 reps of
the lying dumbbell curl: that is one superset. Then rest 30-90 seconds, and
repeat process three more times. Once completed, move onto the next superset
combo, barbell lunges and Romanian deadlifts.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:04 AM   #5  
On my way!!

Anne: Thanks for the article and good luck with the move!

I'm headed off to work this morning then we are packing up for Harrisburg, so I won't be around this weekend. Try not to miss me

Judy: hang in there!
Everyone have a great weekend!

Womaninlove

Not sure I can even begin thinking about winter yet! BBrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Old 07-20-2001, 09:24 AM   #6  
"GrannyOnTheMove"

~Anne~ Wow...great article....I am really missing the gym this summer. (I can't lift weights now because of my cataract surgery. I am having the other eye done Wednesday. And then it will be 8 weeks more before I can lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk!) Anyhow, I am just continuing the walking routine. It is so hot & humid here now, that I will have to get out early or forget it! It is hard to fit in exercise when you have such a busy schedule....you just have to do your best. Good luck with the cat and the move! No winter for me.. I will be going back to Florida the end of September...I know...I am lucky...
~WomanInLove~ Have a great trip....and we will miss you
***Can't figure out where GIRLIE is.....Maybe she is on vacation....Come on back Girlie...We miss you...
Everyone have a great weekend. I will be trying to stay cool
Old 07-22-2001, 09:58 PM   #7  

Hi Everyone!!

Well, I just got back from NY 2 days ago. I am still trying to get my house in order after being gone 10 days. OK, it's time to fess up. I gained 5.5 lbs while on vacation. I tried to count points the first 2 days but it became impossible with the Sweet 16 and being out all day. We had a great time visiting friends & family & going around the city. Now it's back to the real world. I started counting points again yesterday and I feel so much better doing it. As far as exercise that has been non-existant. I hope by Tuesday or Wednesday to try to start that back up. I still have some laundry & stuff to take care of before I will feel relaxed enough to start popping in those tapes.

Good to be back....

Talk to you all later...
Old 07-23-2001, 07:08 PM   #8  
On my way!!

Default Hello!

Hi everyone!!!

We're back!! The weekend was ok, kind of rushed and I'm glad it's over, though it was good to see my pals and spend some quality car time with my sweetie pie. (the only great pie with no calories!

DEB: So glad you're back!!! Don't feel like your alone...we've all been having trouble recently I think. I have been horrible with my points recently and have gained a little too. But every day is a new day! We can do it!!!!!!!!

ANNE: How are you hanging in?? Hope you are coping well.

JUDY: Are you staying cool? Hope you had a great weekend. Any inspiring words to begin the week? You seem to be on top of your exercise game these days...YOU GO GIRL!

I went to the gym after work and did my cardio. Yeeaa! Ate reasonably well today too... Back on the health wagon???

Womaninlove
Old 07-24-2001, 03:38 PM   #9  
"GrannyOnTheMove"

Good to see everyone coming back! My weigh in day today....Down .4...not what I had hoped for, but I will take it! Maybe it will be better next week!
~Deb~ Hope you had as great a time in NY as I did! We really had fun. We do want to go back sometime. So much to see and do. I gained a little too when I was there (2 lbs) but am back on track now. It is hard not to..eating out all the time... I wanted to do more walking, but my hubby can't walk as long as I can, so we were in a lot of taxi's. Good to see you posting again!
~WomanInLove~ Glad you had a good time on your trip. It has been so miserably hot here. I did a lot of walking over the weekend and it was really hard with the heat!
A little "down time" for me this week. I am having cataract surgery on my other eye tomorrow. I will have to take it easy tomorrow and have to go back to the Dr. on Thursday. Maybe it will cool down a little while I am recuperating..
Everyone hang in there.......We Can Do It!
Old 07-24-2001, 03:49 PM   #10  

Hi Everyone

Anne good luck with your kitty and your move. You sound like you have a lot going on. Just hang in there.

Womaninlove good for you on getting back to the gym. I really need to get my butt in gear. My first goal this week is to get back on my points. So far, so good. I weighed myself & I was down 1 lb from sunday so that's good. I guess I will have to try to do one thing at a time until I get back in the swing of things.

Judy, good luck with your cataract surgery tomorrow. Glad to hear you had fun in NY. We ate like you wouldn't believe. I hadn't been back home in 6yrs so I had my pizza, Chinese food, cheesecake, Italian pastries, knish, and a good sandwich on Italian bread with Boar's Head cold cuts. All the food was sooooo good..oh, let me not forget the food at the Sweet 16 That's why I gained 5.5 lbs. I figured who knows when I will be back. Might as well enjoy all those foods because once I returned home it would be back to eating good food..

I am slowly getting back on track. I think I have been doing good with my food. Granted I've eaten close to my max but that's better than what I was doing

It's great to be back with all of you....

Talk to you later...
Old 07-24-2001, 10:35 PM   #11  
"GrannyOnTheMove"

Oh Debbie....I too had some of that NY Cheesecake...yummmm....Funny you mentioned Boar's Head cold cuts....I buy that brand at Publix in Florida....they are excellent! Best cold cuts I have ever had...Of course, I mostly eat Turkey, but it is delicious. We went to Windows On The World and Tavern On The Green....Also, The Millionaire Show, David Letterman, and The Lion King....What fun! Can't wait for the chance to go back. Good luck getting back on track
I will be just taking it easy tomorrow...maybe my hubby will pamper me...
Good for you WomanInLove getting back to the gym....I will be able to go back by September...looking forward to that....I miss it.
Have a great evening everyone.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:31 PM   #12  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default I'm here I'm here!

Oh my gosh, girls, I've been gone for so long that I almost forgot my password to log on! Serves me right!!!!

I have been SO lazy.

I mean, I'm usually OP for a good few weeks, then I just drop all of a sudden. One day I quit, and then it's weeks again before I get back OP. It's so terribly sad, but I'm no way on to my goal for December! Now I have to work twice as hard as I would have had to when I started back in March! I deserve all that too.

I think when I try, I try too hard...and it starts out okay, but then my eating and exercise becomes tiresome..like instead of trying to do 60 minutes on the elliptical every day, maybe I should just go for at least a half hour, no more no less....I don't know.

I'm thinking about doing the "free day" thing. Being rather strict throughout the week, then having a free day when I can have a meal that I want with out feeling guilty about it. That has been working for some people I know.

Well, enough about me! you guys sound like you're doing great!

I'm glad to hear that this thread is running smoothly!

Well, I'm off to visit my Mary Kay mask and to bed. I'm so sorry for being gone for so long..I feel horribly guilty. I even wrote about it in my diary today

http://girle.diaryland.com

I will try to keep up. Please bear with me! I'm going crazy from the heat!

Girlie
Old 07-27-2001, 07:42 PM   #13  
"GrannyOnTheMove"

"Grandma, what big eyes you have.....the better to see you with.... That is me, back from my cataract surgery... My surgery was very successful and I very pleased with the results! I can now see distance WITHOUT GLASSES!! Now I won't have to wear my glasses in the gym and let them slide down my nose when I sweat.. I will however still have to wear them to read...but I am seeing very well...Didn't realize what a difference it would make!
NOW I CAN GET BACK TO MY WALKING PROGRAM!
~GIRLIE~ I am so glad to see you back....I couldn't figure you not posting! Everyone needs a little break from program and exercising once in a while, so don't beat yourself up about it. Just get back on the horse and ride..Your vacation is over now! I know what you mean about the heat! It was very hard walking last week...Much better now, but supposed to heat up next week again. Ugh! Don't take off on us again or I will have to call the cops or maybe the food police
Hope to see the rest of you posting soon. Everyone have a great OP weekend!

Last edited by JudyK; 07-27-2001 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2001, 01:38 AM   #14  
"GrannyOnTheMove"

~HEY~ Did you all desert me again???
Old 08-02-2001, 11:02 PM   #15  
"GrannyOnTheMove"

Where are you all????????
Closed Thread