South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-07-2006, 05:36 PM   #1  

Default Any Converts From Atkins

Hello All,

I Am Looking To See If Any One Has Made The Switch Between Atkins And South Beach And If So Why? My Dh And I Have Been Doing Atkins And It Works But I've Got To Wonder Maybe Sb Is Better For Me I Doubt He Could Ever Switch But Any Info For Me Would Be Great. Last Week I Actually Gained Doing Atkins And I Was Faithfull So I Guess I Am Kind Of Disenchanted With The Wonderful World Of Low Carb, Any Help Ladies?

Thanks In Advance
Terra
EARTH2TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:42 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I used to do Atkins but just feel this plan is much healthier, particularly as it avoids saturated and trans-fats. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions!

By the way, when you type in all caps, the system changes it so it doesn't look like you are shouting. That's why your post is all words beginning with caps.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #3  

I agree, I wasn't on Atkins for a long time, but I have read both books. SB seems so much more common sense and natural way to eat. There are some similarities in the phase 1 but in phase 2 and beyond you get to enjoy whole grains. You trade in the saturated fats and trans fats for whole grain and "good" carbs. They really do leave you feeling satisfied and give you much needed energy.

If you are in a rut pick up the book and give it a read. I think you will find a lot of useful info.
LucyGoosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:03 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

Please realize too that the book's food lists are somewhat out of date and check out the revised Phase I and Phase II food lists in the FAQ Section.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #5  

Thanks Lucy and Ruth,

I never realized it looked like I was yelling I guess using the caps properly is better for my typing skills any way. I dont mean to down the atkins plan but right now it is seeming like the easy way out. It was hard enough to leave those carbs behind but fat too ouch! The trickiest part will be coordinating dh's atkins like diet with a sb diet, maybe slowly I can convert him...

thanks again ladies
Old 02-07-2006, 07:15 PM   #6  
Bird Nerd

I tried Atkins too and it just didn't work for me. I got really sick of avoiding wheat. I am much happier on SB and I feel 100% better
wildlifebio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 PM   #7  
Mythical

S/C/G: 186/172/120

To be honest, before I tried SB, Atkins was the *only* diet that ever worked for me. My mom did very well on a diet her doctor put her on, which was basically a low-fat Atkins diet.

Changing from Phase 1 to Phase 2 was a scary thing for me, because it was adding in carbs, which then started to make me want more. The whole thing on Atkins was that you just didn't really want the breads and pastas anymore. That said, I feel like my diet is more balanced now, which makes me happier about myself.

However, I will probably never argue with someone about a diet plan that works for them, unless maybe an unsupervised starvation diet or something that's making them sick. I got so sick of having to "stick up" for Atkins while I was on it, and I really became more aware that people are different with different metabolisms and such, so it's ok that their diets are different. Plus, the "experts" are changing their minds about what's good for you all the time anyway.

Wow, sorry, that went off in a little tirade there.
LegendaryZelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #8  
Going to ONEderland

My sister lost a lot of weight on Atkins after seeing me lose 50 plus pounds with it. She started to gain some back and has since started on South Beach because she thinks haveing some grains is "healthier". Personally I'm still perfectly happy with Atkins and don't want to have to go low fat. The things I love can't be had on South Beach either and so why make the change just for some bread? I can have limited low carb bread on Atkins anyway.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:21 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

SherryA, South Beach allows bread and grains after the first two-week Phase.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:54 PM   #10  

I really think that the problem maybe I have been going crazy with stuff like cheese cheese more cheeses the some pork rinds. I will have to see if cutting those back a bit helps. I guess I was retaining water or something beacause I am almost back too 205...
Isn't a lower fat atkins actually pretty close to south beach any way?
thanks everyone
Terra
Old 02-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Have you checked your calories on www.fitday.com? Cheese and pork rinds can sure add up. It will also tell you how much saturated fat you are getting.

South Beach is not low fat but Good Fat and carbs are allowed in all phases. Milk, many veggies and slow carbs like legumes are allowed in Phase I. Check out the Revised Food List in the FAQ Section.

Choose whatever plan works for you. We are all different.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #12  

Thanks Ruth,

I feel like I am starting to get it sorted out now............wish me luck
Old 02-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Earth, I eat way more fat now than I ever did...but it's good fats that help lower my cholesterol (like olive oil, soybean oil, canola oil, walnuts, and avocados) rather than the trans fat and saturated fat crap I was eating before.

It's helped immensely. But I agree, chicas...unless the diet is obviously very unhealthy, basically any plan will work for anyone as long as they find the one that fits for them. Suzanne and Jennifer are always saying that, and I do agree with them. SBD is the fit for me. If Atkins is a better fit for you, then do that...but I'd take some of what you learned from SBD and incorporate it in terms of the fats so you keep yourself healthy.

P.S. Zelda, if you do Phase 1 without any sugar sneaking in, you'll have no cravings in Phase 2. You shouldn't feel any more in need of carbs than you did on Atkins. If you do, you might want to post what you're eating for us and we can help you locate the culprits that are making you crave again. Do a quick P1 to get back on track and you'll be fine.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote