Old 02-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #1  
Gonna be skinny!

S/C/G: 240/224/140

Height: 5'5

Question sodium ?

Does anyone know what a daily goal for sodium would be? I dont put salt on my foods ever and i eat lots of fruits and veggies and chicken broiled but i do also eat those box meals a few times a week like smart ones or lean cuisine or healthy choice. These appear to have loads of sodium in them. Is a few times a weeks bad or do any of you know what a recommended sodium intake would be? I drink lots of water and take green tea tablets, or drink green tea in the evenings which i was told helps get rid of water weight. I am losing weight nicely but still if it would help more to watch the sodium i will be even happier..LOL
ladypeacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #2  

I think it varies according to the individual. I've read anywhere from 1000mg to 3000mg. Of course, this is not what you would do if you were doing a low sodium diet. For low sodium I've heard as low as 500mg.

If you're not having water retention problems or medical problems associated with sodium (like high blood pressure) I wouldn't worry about cutting sodium...I would just do what your doing and be conscious of it and not add it to anything. One teaspoon is like 2300mg.
1dayatatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #3  
LLV

I agree with Carrie, if you don't have any blood pressure issues, don't worry too much about it. It sounds like you're already doing good by not using ADDED salt to your meals. Just drink plenty of water. Water helps to flush excess sodium from the body.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #4  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

I *think* the American Heart Associations current guideline is 2200mg of sodium per day. However I do agree with the other posters about not worrying too much. As long as you drink plenty of water (recommendations are 64 fl oz or 2 liters a day) you will flush out excess bloat caused by the salt.
LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 220/188/170

Height: 5'5"

I looked up the sodium intake recommendation and the AHA says it should be 2400mg.
MiaManning is offline   Reply With Quote