Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #1  

Question Headaches & Weights

I'm really enjoying the lifting but when I really exert myself I get a pain in my left temple. I do suffer from migraines on that side even though i haven't had one for a while. Although the intensity diminishes after a few minutes i'm left with a dull ache on the left side of my head,now that this has happened 3 or 4 times i'm beginning to wonder whether or not to visit my docs.

Has anyone else had similar problems? or do you have any advice on how to get rid of it.

p.s( It's not caused by holding my breath or lack of water)

Thanks

Last edited by shush; 02-03-2006 at 03:34 PM.
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 06:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I have had this before too and it's really painful and scary. I lowered my weight and that seemed to fix the problem. I think I was increasing my level too fast. I would cut back a bit on the weight, go down to the next increment, and see if that doesn't help you.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #3  
Mel

This happened to me a lot for a few months several years ago, then happened again last fall for a while. Mostly, it would happen while I was doing extremely heavy, intense exercises like leg presses, squats or deadlifts. At least in my case, it's due to the sudden increase in blood pressure. My doc told me that for me, it's not dangerous. It is painful, though.

Are you fairly new to lifting? This happened to me when I changed the way I exercised from circuit training to heavy lift-to-failure type workouts. It went away as my body adjusted. When the headaches reappeared last fall, it was in conjuction with some other health problems.

Have you had your blood pressure checked recently?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #4  

Default Thanks

Thank you for the advice.
Have now been to the doctors and blood pressure is fine. He checked to see if there was any pressure behind my eyeballs too and eveything is ok.

Got to go for a CT scan though just as a precaution.

He also suggested i stop lifting and didn't seem to think that it would help me lose weight anyway
"why don't you just stop snacking between meals and take up running" I thought he was going to add you know like girls are supposed to do. AAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

Anyway it seems to be quite common especially amongst migraine sufferers so i will do some minor re-adjustments to see if that helps and i'm going to finish the 12 week challenge and then i'm going to go back and kick his puny butt. (ok maybe not the last part )
Old 02-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Ugh - do you have any choice in dr's there or are you stuck with this LOSER? Wonder what he will say when you come back in 6 wks with knee and lower back pain from running? People with extra weight on board don't generally do well when they just decide to start running! LOL
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 07:03 AM   #6  

Followed some advice i found on the net and although i got the headache it only lasted a couple of minutes and then disappeared so it's onwards and upwards with the lifting.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 AM   #7  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Take 2 and call me in the morning

I've found a variety of answers from doctors about losing weight. "See a nutritionist." "Lose weight. (period)" "You're overweight." "You've got the stomach flu and are carrying too many books to class" (the misdiagnosis of gallbladder attacks that led to me giving up on doctors until I nearly died)...

I've found a lot of doctors just don't know you very well. In fact, the doctor I'm most comfortable with and talk to the most is my chiropractor, and that's because I've seen her on a weekly basis for the past few months. While not a g.p., she's in great shape herself, and we have good discussions, and she's not against any of the stuff I'm doing to lose weight.

She said since my hips are out of alignment, I might want to take it easy on the cardio machines (no incline), but since my back hasn't been hurting for a while, I've been adding it in slowly, and I've been doing some deadlifts, lat-pulldowns, and abdominals to strengthen my back. (She says these are great when I told her I was doing them).

But she also gives me food and workout advice, but more as a fit 'n healthy woman living the life than in an official capacity as a doctor; but it's just nice to have that kind of rapport with a doctor of any sort, so I at least know I'm not doing something whacky or obviously bad. I wish I had that kind of relationship with my primary care physician, but it seems like it's a 6 month waiting list for anything with her...

Not being a sufferer of migraines, though, I'd just have suggested dehydration, as that's what usually causes headaches with me. (But you said water wasn't the issue).

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote