Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #1  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Default Egg beaters

For expierenced egg beater users....
Do they taste like eggs? And are they really expensive?
Is it worth using these in replace of just using the white's of a regular egg? thanks!
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

Well, they taste like egg whites, because that's what they are, along with some coloring to make them yellow. I think they're a little pricey and so usually use regular egg whites. If you don't like them just white, you could use one whole egg and the rest egg whites. (The yolks are great for your dog if you have one!)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #3  

I buy egg beaters, or a cheaper knock off brand if I can find it. I think they taste ok. They cook up a bit more rubbery than real eggs, but not terribly so. For me, the fact that they dyed a plausible yellow color makes it easier to believe that I am eating "real eggs".

I like a cup of egg beaters, cooked into an omlette with 1 slice of fat-free chedder cheese, then topped with about a half a cup of salsa. Eat with two slices of diet bread (40-45 calories each) and you've got yourself a pretty filling, tasty, and low cal breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I only buy them when I can find them on sale and use a coupon. I find them pretty dull and tasteles with the rubbery texture. It's basically eggs whites, like everyone else has mentioned. I think that when eggs are on sale it's actually cheaper to just throw away the yolk and use the egg whites. Of coarse that depends on how expensive eggs are in your area.

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #5  

Having chickens I just use egg whites with a whole egg. I give eggs away all the time I have so many (productive little hens you know).

But I will add that I think some egg fat in the diet is very healthy. They've known for awhile now that the fat and cholestoral in eggs do not appear to promote heart disease, and in fact there is evidence that it helps to fill in the "pits" in our arteries and may prevent cholesterol from forming! So I eat egg fat in moderation. An egg with two egg whites is delicious and weighs in at a bout 136 calories. That gives you about 10 grams of protein. Not a bad deal for healthy lifestyles.

Old 02-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #6  
LLV

I personally like real egg whites better than Egg Beaters. I also buy the liquid egg whites, they come in a carton like the Egg Beaters do. I like those better as well.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #7  
with my mind on my monkey

Although egg substitutes aren't half as tasty as the real thing for egg dishes like omelets, they're great for lightening up recipes. I use them in French toast and pancakes, meatloaf and lasagna, and also to bread meats before dipping in bread crumbs (or other crunchy toppings) for baking.
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #8  

I read about this study that people that ate eggs for breakfast ate something like 35% less throughout the day. They also say that the egg is a perfect source of protien and they use the egg to measure protien in other foods. 1 egg plus egg whites is yummy, even if you are not dieting. There is something about fake egg product that grossed me out.
Infrogwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrogwetrust
I read about this study that people that ate eggs for breakfast ate something like 35% less throughout the day.
I'm gonna have to agree with this because I've noticed whenever I eat eggs for breakfast, I can go longer before eating lunch. If I eat stuff like cereal (hot or cold) I'm starved by 10:00.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/170/150

Default Egg Beaters

They ARE expensive. When they aren't on sale, I purchase the competitor brand. My husband really noticed the difference in taste with the competitor, but I didn't.

The cheddar and chive flavored are our favorite. When on sale, I go for the flavored, if available, because it saves me time in prep work. The Southwest is also good, but chive and cheddar is our favorite.

The one thing that I really like about egg substitute is that it sets up very fast in the pan, very much like an omelet. So if you plan to do an omelet or frittata, I like using substitutes for this.
Lyzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

I will use egg whites. I had been a long time user of egg beaters, but I find egg whites to taste better and are more economical. Many times, I will use a whole egg with egg whites, too. My husband prefers this.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #12  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

I usually get the cheaper store brand of egg beater. They're okay, they don't really taste exactly like eggs. I usually use one real egg and one fake egg. The fake eggs are good to use in mixes and recipes though. My husband actually really likes the fake eggs because he hates the taste of real eggs...

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #13  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgie
I will use a whole egg with egg whites, too.
This is what I do also. 1 whole egg and 2 more whites.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

I tried the 1 whole egg and 1 or 2 egg whites thing, but...

I hated it.

I could do it, if I had to. But I'm pretty much at my goal weight and maintaining, and I've learned alot about what works for my body. So I'm reserving the right to have my whole eggs! *lol*
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote