WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 04:04 PM   #1  

Unhappy Kashi Nutritional Information!!

I recently noticed that my box of Kashi has different nutritional information. It now has 117 calories per 30g serving instead of 90 calories. Has anyone else noticed this or know about the change?
Old 07-17-2001, 04:52 PM   #2  

Which type - the puffed, good friends, or go lean? My Good Friends box I just bought this weekend still has the 90 calories on it -
Old 07-18-2001, 08:49 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

The GoLean Cereals have slightly more calories but also more protien and fiber
the Kashi Bars which I LOVE! are about 5 pts for the choc/pb
and keep you filled a looong time
Old 07-18-2001, 09:42 AM   #4  
imaleader

Default kashi Calories

Go to their website for the most up to date information on nutrition and products. I was just there. Of the 5 most popular cereals (Good Friends, Go Lean, Go lean Crunch, Puffed, and Honey Puffed) none show a 117 calorie content. www.kashi.com will get you there. Click on NEW to KASHI and then on the left hand side, click on products and nutrition. Hope this helps.

Old 07-18-2001, 01:43 PM   #5  

it's for Kashi to Good Friends cereal. I live in Canada and they recently started carrying it in my supermarket. The calorie content was always 90, but the last couple of boxes I bought say 117 calories per 30g 3/4 cup serving.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:34 PM   #6  
imaleader

Great. That means you have new packaging, they have not revised their website info, and I'm going to call them on this right now.

Old 07-19-2001, 10:19 AM   #7  
imaleader

Below is Kashi's email to me in its entirety. Had trouble posting it as a continuation of the thread, so it is ALSO posted as its own thread in this forum.... Hope this helps you all in Canada!

Hello

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. The calculations for the calories for To Good Friends are different for the packaging in the US vs. Canadian packaging. It is the same exact product, but the labeling/packaging regulations are different. That is why there is a discrepancy. I hope this clears things up for you.
Best of Health!

Amanda Larson
Consumer Relations

Kashi Company
P.O. BOX 8557
La Jolla, CA 92038-8557
Phone: 858-274-8870 x 221
Email: [email protected]

Old 07-19-2001, 11:42 AM   #8  

AH-HA! So it's all a wiley Canadian plot to keep us American's fatter by underestimating our calories! Very tricky those northerners!
Old 07-19-2001, 01:44 PM   #9  

Which means what exactly? The calories are actually 117 or 90? That message confuses me!
Old 07-19-2001, 01:49 PM   #10  

Here's my understanding of how you get a nutritional label if you are a manufacturer - you have to send your product to an independent lab who analyzes it for certain things (those certain things are probably different in the US than in Canada). The lab has to be approved by the government (probably in both countries). SO - the lab that analyzed the product for Kashi in the US is probably different than the lab that analyzed it for Kashi in Canada and they got slightly different results because even though you mix the ingredients for something and try to get everything evenly distributed, one sample may have a higher amount of one thing or another. I'm sure they have to do a certain sample size, etc., but you can get different results. Maybe the Kashi samples they were working with in Canada had more the little "granoly bits" or something. My understanding is Canada is just starting to require this type of labeling on their products, so I'm sure this is the first of many discrepancies we will be seeing in the future - - oh, joy!
Old 07-19-2001, 01:54 PM   #11  
imaleader

Millie, that's great information. The bottom line is, did any of us get FAT worrying about the calories in kashi? Or was it, perhaps, too many cookies, pies, cakes, pizza, pasta, butter, large servings? The 27 calorie differential isn't going to make or break the points bank no matter how you slice it. Even if you eat it in Canada every day for a year, it amounts to just over 9000 calories, or a little over 2 pounds, and spread out that way, if you are ON PROGRAM it doesn't matter.

I'm sure there are LOTS of differences between our foods -- and still, look at how we all lost weight when those Bakers' Breakfast Cookies were only one point, then blossomed up to 4 or 5... Our failures are not in 30 points... they are endemic in all sorts of OTHER things.... Let's keep our eye on the right ball! ;-)

Old 07-19-2001, 03:26 PM   #12  

I agree - to me, it's just another reason to make sure we eat a wide variety of foods and try to stick as "close to nature" as possible, getting in the kitchen and fixing it ourselves where we have more control over the portion size of each ingredient. Even then, I know our portion sizes will vary. Heck, a "large apple" doesn't weigh the same every time you pick one out and the calories will vary from apple to apple.
Closed Thread