Old 01-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #1  

Default When Will They Notice?!?

Okay, as some of you know, I've been down this road before with losing weight and seeing results. So, I am not really looking for an answer, but I am looking for input...just out of curiosity.

How much weight did you lose before people started noticing?

In the past, i believe I had lost about 25 lbs before others had noticed. Was years ago, so I could be off. Well, I have lost 14 lbs, and I FEEL a difference, and I THINK I see a difference, but that could just be my inner skinny chick screaming "You Go Girrrl". I am not obsessing over it, but I am craving just 1 comment. I have a serious love/hate relationship with the weightloss compliments...but I really, really want one.

Yes, I am nuts but that's okay. HeeHee
Jenniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #2  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Before people (other than my parents) started noticing, I had already lost 80lbs. I think that it is more difficult for people to notice weight loss on somebody who has more than a mere 10-15 lbs to lose (like me). But watch---as nobody noticed those first 10-15 lbs, people will noticed the difference in the last 10-15 lbs!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #3  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

People close to me notice early on. I've lost a little under 14 pounds so far (this time around) and my family and fiance notice. My friends tend to notice around 20-25. I'm fairly tall (5'10") so a little weight looks like a lot more when I lose it so I think that makes it more noticeable.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #4  
Jennifer

Nobody (except my hubby) really commented to me until I'd lost around 30-40 pounds, but later they admitted they had noticed much earlier but were afraid to say anything. Since people tend to be sensitive about their weight, many people are loath to comment until they're SURE. I know it would be nice to get some reinforcement on what you're seeing yourself, but please don't stress -- I bet it'll happen in no time!

Congrats on your loss!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

My sister noticed at around 20 pounds (she's extremely overweight as well) but my grandmother didn't notice until I lost 80 pounds! I ran into an old coworker when I was about 70 pounds down and she noticed. I tend to think people who have an interest in your weight notice it more. It goes to show you even though we are SUPER-self conscious about our sizes, people don't pay much attention to it, because they don't notice it when it starts to come off.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #6  
Going to ONEderland

I've lost 18 pounds and no one but immediate family (who know I'm dieting) have said a word. Well one lady did, but she doesn't count. She tells me I've lost weight even when I'm gaining!

I know how you feel. I was feeling really slim this morning, my belly was finally smaller than my bust! and of course, none of the guys I work with have said a word. I work with all guys, so I wouldn't expect them to say anything very soon anyway.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:43 PM   #7  

I started buying new clothes after I'd lost about 30 pounds and that is when people noticed. My weight loss just wasn't noticeable when I was swimming in outfits that were 2-3 sizes too big!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM   #8  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

People didn't start commenting to me until I had lost about 50 pounds. I'm pretty tall, so that's part of it.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #9  

Honestly, it took about 90 lbs. before people who didn't know what I was up to finally took notice. It was a little frustrating but once people did start to notice, it was like the floodgates had opened and then it was all anyone could talk about! So, be patient m'dear, your time will come to bask in the glory of all those shocked expressions and weight related compliments and questions. And I promise, before too long, you'll be wishing they would just get over it already!! Good luck!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:59 AM   #10  
One pound at a time...

I am the same, people really did not notice until I had lost around 50 lbs. I carry my weight well (if that actually makes sense) so for me it took a larger loss, for everything to shift around for people to notice. It will happen.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 351 / 282 / 135

Height: 5'3"

I've lost almost 35 pounds and no one has said anything. Of course, I'm somehow in the same size -- I was, er, sort of pushing the envelope before, and now I wear the same size really loose. But I work with a bunch of guys, and I could probably remove all the furniture from the office one day and so long as the refrigerator and foosball table and their computers were in place, somewhere, they wouldn't notice. They're guys.
rabidstoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:08 AM   #12  
DNR
Determined Woman

I have lost 23 lbs. and 2 people in the last 2 days have said something to me - other than my husband. Both of those people were people who don't see me every day. I think that makes a difference. I haven't told anyone other than my husband that I went back to Weight Watchers - I just wanted to see how long it took for people to start to notice. One of my friends whom I hadn't seen for about 3 months I guess saw me on Sunday and she said, "you look so good, how much weight have you lost?" so I know that it's noticeable. There are also those people who wouldn't say a word if you lost half your body weight.

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #13  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

My husband noticed at around 30 pounds, when he could more easily put his arms around me. My coworkers and church friends started noticing when after 40 pounds or so I got my hair cut and bought a couple new sweaters that actually fit. Many of the comments start as compliments about my new hair style, but then it eases into the dangerous territory of "have you lost weight?" I agree, folks are nervous about mentioning such things, for fear of offending, or of you being really sick, or something like that.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:42 AM   #14  
Downsizing Dee!

I think it was about 30 pounds for me before anyone started to notice. When I'd lost about 50 almost everyone I saw was asking me if I'd lost weight.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #15  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiaby
And I promise, before too long, you'll be wishing they would just get over it already!! Good luck!

Beverly
Isn't that the truth!!!
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote