Old 01-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #1  
LLV

Default Does anyone here use Mastercook?

I've been wanting to buy this, but there are so many versions and I don't know which version does what. The MAIN thing I want is a version that counts calories of your favorite recipes. i.e. you enter in your recipe ingredients and it will tell you how many calories per serving AND the serving size.

Can anyone help me out with this? I don't know what version is best and I don't want to spend extra money on features I don't really need.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #2  
LLV

For example, I'm looking at Mastercook Deluxe 7.0. I'm seeing lots of 'complaints' from Version 8.0 users that it was way too hard to learn how to use.

I just want something simple.

I'd also like to find something like fitday, to keep track of all of my food entrees and calories. I've tried fitday PC but didn't like it.

Also, any comments about NutriGenie?

Last edited by LLV; 01-30-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

I have Mastercook Deluxe 9 (the latest version). One of the things I like the BEST is the "web import" feature. That came in version 8 - but I upgraded from version 6. Anyhow, this adds a button to your toolbar in Internet Explorer. When you come across a recipe you'd like to add, click the "MC" button and a side window displays. Basically you highlight the different parts of the recipe and click the appropriate checkbox for that section to be imported into. Hmmmm... does that make sense? You'd highlight the title and then click the checkbox in the side window for "Title"... Highlight the ingredients of the recipe and then mark the checkbox in the side window for "Ingredients".

What I didn't like is that there isn't a new manual for the software. They did update the extensive amount of information available in the Help files. I printed out the version 6 user manual and refer to that for the rest of the program. I am so mad at myself for throwing away the printed manual that I had for Mastercook 6.

I belong to a Yahoo Group for Mastercook called MastercookDiscussion. A very good resource for asking questions!

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN
I have Mastercook Deluxe 9 (the latest version). One of the things I like the BEST is the "web import" feature. That came in version 8 - but I upgraded from version 6. Anyhow, this adds a button to your toolbar in Internet Explorer. When you come across a recipe you'd like to add, click the "MC" button and a side window displays. Basically you highlight the different parts of the recipe and click the appropriate checkbox for that section to be imported into. Hmmmm... does that make sense?
That's okay, I don't use IE anyway, lol.

Thanks for trying to explain, though.

I've heard so many opinions on Mastercook and most of them are good ones, except the biggest complaint - it's difficult to learn the interface. I don't want something difficult. I like plain and simple. Which is why I prefer the online version of fitday to the PC version. The PC version boggled my mind and frustrated me too much. Some people like all of those thousands of extra features, but I don't.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I don't really find the interface all that difficult. Although I do find it kind of odd that the button bar is across the bottom of the window instead of at the top like most software programs.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote