LA Weight Loss - Hummus

View Full Version : Hummus

loseitlaura
01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Is hummus permitted on the Gold Plan? What would it be considered?

Repo girl
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Yes, but I think that it has to be homemade, from dry beans. Here is what I do: Soak a 1 lb bag of garbanzo beans in a big bowl of water overnight. Rinse, cover with water, simmer for 2 hours or until really soft, place one cup of beans into the food processor, add a couple of cloves of garlic, tahini, lemon juice, pepper, Mortons, curry powder, or whatever you like, blend for several minutes. This is one protein serving. I like to eat it with baked pita chips, celery sticks, carrot sticks, ect. I froze the rest of mine in one cup servings. It made five one cup bags. Pretty cheap protein, $1.59=6 servings.

Chklithunder
01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Katie - you are an awesome source of information and inspiration. I LOVE hummus but have been staying away from it b/c I had no idea how to make it.

loseitlaura
01-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Oh...OK, so it would be a protein?

mrsbeanie
01-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Chklit ! You Made your mini Goal!! Congrats!! :woo: :cb: :woo: :cb:
Miss you!

Repo girl
01-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks Carmen!

I forgot to mention that you may have to add a little water to the the right consistency.

PURPLEPIRATE99
01-30-2006, 03:56 PM
I've never tried Hummus - Sounds interesting though

baems04
01-30-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm also on the gold plan and asked one of the ladies from the center (:devil: )if hummus is ok. To my surprise she said no. It will be added during stabilization and/or maintainance. She said it has too much fat... (although you are allowed tahini?) She may be wrong... hopefully because I miss hummus!
~D

marbear
01-30-2006, 05:42 PM
It has no fat other than what you add. You don't have to use olive oil, and the beans and garlic are fat free. It's like refried beans...you can mash up your own pintos and add lite salt and spices and they're perfectly on plan.

Mary

Repo girl
01-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah, as long as it is homemade, what is the difference? Garbanzo beans are in the book as a vegeterian protein.

shennie_97
01-30-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm also on the gold plan and asked one of the ladies from the center (:devil: )if hummus is ok. To my surprise she said no. It will be added during stabilization and/or maintainance. She said it has too much fat... (although you are allowed tahini?) She may be wrong... hopefully because I miss hummus!
~D

Ive found that they often say no to things listed in the cookbook because they are asuming you mean from the store. I get hollered at all the time when they see tomato sauce in my journal until I say, the cookbook says ok.

textjewel
01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Isn't there a hummus recipe on the LAWL website? There used to be.

Gamababa3
01-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Yes there is a recipe posted on their site, but it's made with chickpeas and some other stuff. I will post it in the recipe section.

sznn
01-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Laura - I am on gold and in my book 1/3 c hummus = 1 starch.

I have used store bought hummus a few times as my starch.

hope that helps

-S

textjewel
01-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Sznn - I think you're plan is different than mine - you're in Canada, right? Mine doesn't list hummus at all.

I've never tried tahini, but two tspoons is a fat. Hmmm, may have to look for it at the store.

Linds81
01-30-2006, 11:52 PM
I've recently asked my counsellor about hummous, and she was saying that they are making new booklets, or they will be out soon, or something like that, and hummous is now considered a starch (as someone above stated). I'm in Canada, and I don't know if this is something that they are going to be introducing to the states as well as here...

marbear
01-31-2006, 12:47 AM
See, this is the pseudoscience that drives me plain MAD! I don't get where something is a vegetarian protein, but just because you mash it up and throw some spices in it is now a starch...you should be able to count beans BOTH ways, depending on how you'd like to use your portions for the day. Pretty soon vegetarians and people who don't like a lotta meat are just not going to be able to do the diet. They harp on variety, then they take it away!

Mary

textjewel
01-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Well, it could be that beans will be considered both a starch and a protein.

Sznn - does your guide still show beans as a protein?

Julie

Mom_of_3_Monsters
01-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Yes, but I think that it has to be homemade, from dry beans. Here is what I do: Soak a 1 lb bag of garbanzo beans in a big bowl of water overnight. Rinse, cover with water, simmer for 2 hours or until really soft, place one cup of beans into the food processor, add a couple of cloves of garlic, tahini, lemon juice, pepper, Mortons, curry powder, or whatever you like, blend for several minutes. This is one protein serving. I like to eat it with baked pita chips, celery sticks, carrot sticks, ect. I froze the rest of mine in one cup servings. It made five one cup bags. Pretty cheap protein, $1.59=6 servings.

Thanks for the tip Katie !!! I will have to try this :)

sznn
01-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Julie - in answer to your question - the only beans I have under proteins are soybeans.

Hummus is listed under starch as the main ingredient are chickpeas - and LA counts peas as a starch.

If you use beans to make the hummus - I suspect you could count it as a protein.

-S

juliemarie
01-31-2006, 12:46 PM
chickpeas=garbanzo beans . . . .hence, the confusion.

I decided to do a little sleauthing and looked up the nutritional information on soy products and beans, etc. I don't think it's a pseudoscience, Mary (at least not this time, the supplements are another story). The calorie thing I was looking at broke down the components of foods into protein, fat, carb, etc on a pie chart. With the beans-they were mostly made up of carbs, while the soy products were mostly protein and fat. The beans had about 1/2 the grams of protein as a serving of soy protein. So I think that's why they are supposed to be counted as a starch. If you were a vegetarian though-maybe they give you more leeway, I don't know. Anyway, just FYI . . . . .

Repo girl
01-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Okay, I called my center and asked. First they said no, then they looked them up and said yes, then they said that they would have to call the nutritionist and call me back. So, who the heck knows!!

juliemarie
01-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Ahh-at least the COD's consistent with their inconsistency;)

shennie_97
01-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Ahh-at least the COD's consistent with their inconsistency;)

:rofl:

dawn78
01-31-2006, 10:50 PM
I'm on the gold plan and my booklet says 1/3 cup of hummus is one starch and it still has beans (bagged any type, 1 cup cooked) as a vegetarian protein.

arabianflower
02-07-2006, 12:53 AM
How can hummus be too fatty when you're allowed to have mayo? Hummus is mostly olive oil and beans. It's alot healthier than mayonnaise.