Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-29-2006, 11:21 PM   #1  

Default Super hungry at that TOM ?? Anybody?

Hi, lame subject, I know, but I'm kind of curious about this. On the first day, maybe couple days of my "visitor," I go in to this crazy hungry mode. I try to quell my hunger with good stuff, (veggies, fruit, fiber to keep full), but I REALLY crave sweets and fat !!

Anyways, what I am wondering is, is this a learned behavior, that I've picked up from t.v. and friends? You've all, I'm sure seen stuff on t.v. about women craving salty or sweet stuff on that TOM. Is this all in my/our heads?

Are there proven facts about women and cravings at that TOM? Are there reasons behind it? I really do feel more hungry, but I know that the power of suggestion can be very influential.

The stuff I've read on the net about it is kind of wishy washy, so I figured that I would come and ask you all. Real people with real experiences and opinions are what we have here on this site, and I think that is so cool. Thank you for anything you have to say, I look forward to what you all think. Lindy
lindystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 AM   #2  

I haven't seen any scientific research on the subject but I think it's real and not a learned behavior. My visitor has been messed up since I started exercising. I've gone from a 28-30 day cycle to anywhere from a 21 day (eek) cycle to a 26 day cycle so I NEVER know when it's coming. I do the pig out mode the day before my visitor arrives and the day it arrives. So I know when my period is coming when I can't put my fork down! I just think...well is it that time again and look at the calendar and lo and behold it is. I don't mean eating chicken and veggies either...I mean ice cream cookies, chips anything and everything and it's hard to stop even though I know I shouldn't be eating it. I just try to allow myself some extra calories and eat the bad stuff in sorta moderation.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I'm interested to see what others think.

Amber
AmberM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 AM   #3  

Oh I'm not a freak, thank you !! Seriously though, why can't I crave celery? Wouldn't it be great to be like, "Oh man I am so craving some plain celery right now, I can't stand it" Anyways, thank you, and I'm sorry to hear that your visitor is on screwy mode, I would imagine that when you get to maitenace things will smooth out. And hey! Your getting close, good job! Way to go And you are doing it even with the super cravings, I hope you are proud of yourself, keep up the good work.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:52 AM   #4  
Jump

THANK YOU....I always thought it was just me. I don't even have to look at the calendar....I just know because I always want to eat!! I wonder if we crave the sweet salty foods for a reason. When I was pregnant the DR used to tell me that you craved things with minerals & vitamins your diet is lacking. So...I crave pizza (extra cheesey/greasy) & chocolate. Hmmm...wonder what that means?
jumpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:54 AM   #5  

Help me too! I've always known this was a problem, but after 6 months of successfully losing weight for 2 weeks and then gaining it back I can see that this is a huge problem in my life. I now it's not in my mind because my period is no longer the same number of days and the day that I do get my period (before I get it that is) the cravings go away. This past cycle I lost 12 pounds only to gain it back. I would love to find some natural remedy. I thought cutting out refined carbs would help when that time came around, but the cravings were still unbelievable.
mom8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:01 AM   #6  
LLV

You know, it's funny, I've never really noticed, lol. Maybe that's because there's not much of a change for me. Right now I'm going through a period of not wanting to eat at all. Almost like I'm totally bored with eating. It used to be I'd especially look forward to lunch because that's technically by biggest meal of the day and I loved fixing myself yummy stuff. But anymore I'm like, "Meh, I'll just toss a Lean Cuisine into the microwave."

Hopefully it's just a phase because my healthy meals were always something I looked forward to. Now nothing sounds good. Maybe I'm just getting burned out on the stuff I eat, I don't know.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:10 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I've read before (years ago, so who knows where I read it) that eating bread and potatoes often helps to curb PMS cravings. I don't remember why, but I do remember reading it, and I think it was something to do with nutrients in potatoes that you need more of during your TOM. I do think it's completely normal, though, to crave salty foods. Your hormones and inside stuff are doing all kinds of things to mess with your perceptions (hence moodiness as well), and many women crave many different things. For example, I don't EVER crave chocolate--it's just not for me. Cheesecake, on the other hand... And definitely pizza--I think it's the gooiness and the saltiness that seem to make it a perfect PMS food So I guess I should take my own advice and maybe try making my own baked french fries at home next time I have a craving. I can add some salt to kick th craving plus get in my potatoes
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I read somewhere (I think it was Zest magazine) that you burn an extra 300kcals a day before your period. So there you go! As for cravings and such I don't have them much now I'm on the pill. Or maybe I used to use TOM as an excuse! That's more like it!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:41 PM   #9  

I get incredible chcolate cravings during TOM. I medicate them using 70% chocolate and have a maximum of two squares. That helps! Or chocolate low fat pudding.

i have no idea if there is any basis to the cravings or if it's all in my head. The other thing that helps is raspberry leaf tea, it quells the period pain and also helps the cravings. Tastes gross though!

Since dieting and exercising my periods have gone from being incredibly irregular to bang on time!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #10  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
I read somewhere (I think it was Zest magazine) that you burn an extra 300kcals a day before your period.
The higher running metabolism makes total sense to me. Since I started journaling my food I've noticed two *different* things that happen each cycle. About 4 days before I start, I have 1-2 days of absolutely CRAVING salt. So...I don't necessarily feel the need to eat more, but I do add salt to things that I don't normally have to salt. Then, about the first day or so, I get so stinking hungry--and this is NOT head hunger! I actually have had to get up in the middle of the night (like 2 am) for a banana or a yogurt so that my stomach will let me go back to sleep.

I try to ignore the scale for 2 weigh-ins each month--I know they may show me higher, but that it's water retention. Doesn't always work at keeping the depression/frustration over those numbers at bay, but at least my intellectual side knows there's a reason for the change in numbers. BTW, I didn't find the scale fluctuated like this in my 20s and early 30s--for me, it has really become a very difficult thing to deal with in my 40s. Anyone else have that experience? I know that losing is harder pre/post menopause and I just chalk it up to hormones being OUT. OF. CONTROL.
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:03 PM   #11  

Hi again, well, I guess I'm not the only one.

NowOrNever, I love that you keep such meticulous notes in your food journal. And I totally agree that the hunger is real, and the metabolism boost just might explain some of it. I remember reading that same thing in Womans World magazine, but I'm always cautious when I read stuff like that, lord knows I don't need a 300 calorie mistake.

BTW, I fluctuate a lot on the scale as well, I'm 24 so I don't have the menopause thing going for me, but it does totally get me down. I know it shouldn't, but it's just one of those things. But we keep going don't we? YES !!

Ria, gosh you really do have some major fluctuating going on. I wish I was like totally smart and had a solution for you. Maybe someone else here know something. But if not, and you keep on doing this any longer, I would totally go to the doctor. Maybe thats too extreme, I don't know your full situation, but that would drive me insane !!!! I hope things get better for you.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM   #12  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I only realized the diff between the salt and the actual hunger because I had made VERY quick jots on my (excel) food journal listing that I had to get up in the middle of the night to eat. I mean, sometimes I'm really hungry at bedtime, but only rarely am I awakened and uncomfortable enough that I *have* to get up at 2 am!

BTW, I'm a "calorie counter" and I normally have a deficit built in every day for 1,000 calories (trying for a 2 pound loss each week). I figure when I'm THAT hungry that eating another couple hundred calories is not gonna kill me. I always feel like cal counting gives me a little more leeway for those times than if I was on other plans (WW used to drive me nuts in those situations, but everybody has their favorite approach and way of dealing with issues).
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:27 AM   #13  
Gonna be skinny!

S/C/G: 240/224/140

Height: 5'5

ORANGES ORANGES ORANGES....they curb any chocolate cravings that you have. I promise!
ladypeacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:37 AM   #14  

i wish that was true!!! but i find anything sweet starts my cravings over

i have tried having oranges for dessert and it helps but it definitely doesn't stop the chocolate cravings
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:13 AM   #15  
Gonna be skinny!

S/C/G: 240/224/140

Height: 5'5

wow..really?? Worked great for me. I dont get that urge to eat more sweets when i have something sweet..its opposite for me. If i have a craving i find if i dont find a way to satisfy it then i end up off my diet in a day or 2. Oranges have kept me on mine this time. I have 1/2 an orange every time i start to crave sweets and then i am great!
ladypeacek is offline   Reply With Quote