Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #1  

Exclamation Fish is my "new black"- share your flare with fish!

It's time for a change ladies and gentlemen- fish at 1 pt an oz is the way to go! Yesterday I had this great curried shrimp dish that was so low in pts that my salad dressing counted for more! Today we're having squid rings in spicy tomato sauce over spaghetti squash!

What's your favorite way to cook fish?

Last edited by susie_sunshine; 01-29-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Good Thread. I don't eat fish because I don't know how to cook it.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:52 PM   #3  

I like shark- it's great on grill, just spray it with a bit of cooking spray and season it with somethng like lemon peper and off you go! It's really good, similar in texture to salmon only not oily ( I don't eat salmon)!
Old 01-29-2006, 12:58 PM   #4  
Halley

Thanks for the tip Susie! I too would like to try fish and I'm always searching for a type of fish I'll like (you know, one that doesn't taste too... fishy). I do love shrimp, that's for sure!

I had to lol at your post title - "Fish is the new black". What a riot! I absolutely love it!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #5  

I'm not into "fishy" tastes either- I guess that's what turns me off salmon! It's pretty scary when it comes from a can but looks so good when it's fresh!

We also eat a lot of Tilapia- (I had never heard of it before). It's super cheap and easy to work with. It kind of reminds me of the texture of pickeral. I either broil it after crusting it with something or nuke it with a little spritz of lemon and some cayenne- Supper is ready in 2 minutes! Pair it with some couscous that is also ready in a few minutes and some salad in a bag and you're eating in litterally less than 5 minutes!
Old 01-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I just made the most wonderful red snapper recipe I got the recipe actually from epicurious and then tweaked it for WW. Our program is a little bit different here in the Netherlands, but maybe this is something you all can try yourselves?

4 fillets sea bass (about 6 oz each), skin removed
Sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 cup fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
1 cup finely sliced shiitakes
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
4 green onions, sliced diagonally
2 tbsp regular or chile-infused sesame oil
1/2 cup soy sauce

Bring water to a boil under a metal or bamboo steamer. Sprinkle sea bass with salt, black pepper, and cayenne; place on a piece of parchment paper inside steamer. Top with ginger and shiitakes, cover and steam 15 minutes. Remove fish and place on a plate. Sprinkle cilantro and green onions on fish; drizzle with juices from parchment. In a small sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until smoking. Pour some oil over each fillet to wilt cilantro and green onions. Drizzle plates with soy sauce.

Nutritional analysis per serving 258 calories, 10.4 g fat (1.9 g saturated fat), 5.9 g carbohydrates, 34.2 g protein, 0.8 g fiber
Makes 4 servings.
SELF
June 2005

Now tweaked for WW and for two people

2 seabass filets, approx (120g each)
Sea salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
¼ cup fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
1 cup finely sliced shiitakes
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
4 green onions, sliced diagonally
1 tbsp regular or chile-infused sesame oil
¼ cup soy sauce

I actually ended up using Red Snapper because there was no sea bass at the grocery store. I also didn't have parchment paper, I used baking paper in my vegetable steamer and it worked just fine!

Also the soy sauce amount - I didn't use that much at all, I just drizzeled it across the food and around the plate.

It really was delish!!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #7  

That sounds good Renée! I even have some red snapper in the freezer!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #8  

Maybe we should establish official fish eating days on certain days of the week! And if it comes boxed and already breaded it doesn't count!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #9  

come on people, does no one eat fish around here?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:07 PM   #10  

surely there have to be some fish eaters out there somewhere! I'm going to try one more time before i give up ont his thread! lol
Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #11  
Canadian Chick

We eat a lot of tuna at our house. In sandwiches, with pasta, or sometime's on its own (you can get small cans that have flavors added like Sundried Tomato& Basil or Lemon Pepper-perfect for a work-time snack). We always say we shold branch out into other fish but we don't really know what to try. Being Prairie-born & bred we don't really like that fishy taste. Even with lake fish we generally only eat it at the lake where its so fresh that it hasn't acquired that fishy-ness yet. Unfortunately I am allergic to Shrimp & Crab which makes me leary about trying other seafood.

By the way if you really do like the classic fish n' chips, HighLiner makes a healthy bake breaded fish fillet that is really good. If you cook you own fries in the oven it is a really low point meal. I think its 2 points for the fish & 4 points for the fries.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:55 PM   #12  

so today we had squid in spicy tomato sauce. It was great! with rice the whole meal (1 cup of squid, sauce and 3/4 c rice) came to 6 points! I think that's amazing
Old 01-31-2006, 06:31 PM   #13  

i basically do salmon or a white fish with lemon pepper seasoning or a liquid dill marinade from the seafood department. i will boil it and serve it with brown rice (or flavored rice a roni) and veggies.

i love to cook white fish with a can of tomatoes (i'm lazy, so i keep canned tomatoes around instead of fresh), and serve the fish w/ tomatoes over spinach, usually with rice.

i'll cook shrimp with cajun seasonings and put it in a whole wheat pita with turkey bacon and miracle whip, lettuce, and tomato (if i have it) for lunch.

sometimes i put shrimp in whole wheat pasta with red sauce.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:39 PM   #14  

That sounds really good chicago! At my grocery store fish counter they will actually put the marinade in the bag with the fish before they seal it! I love that! They have 5 or 6 to chose from so it's never boring!
Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 PM   #15  

I LOVE fish!!! Seafood is my favorite type of food. As far as cooking fish goes, I just put it on my George Forman grill and then I squirt lemon on it. If you guys are not a big fan of fish try dipping it into a mixture of FF/LF mayo (not as good as regular mayo, but it will have to do), spicy mustard, and dill. If this doesn't make you like it, then you have problems .
Closed Thread