General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:40 AM   #1  

Default Gmail?

Does anyone have Gmail? It says I need a mobile phone to sign up,(Which I don't have) or an invite from someone who has an account. I don't know anyone who has one!

P.S. Hey wheres my ticker?

~Marisa
Old 01-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #2  

Thanks! I got one!
Old 01-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #3  
Crazy Canadian

S/C/G: 300~217~150

I have several invites available for you or anyone else that would like one. Just Private Message me/
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #4  

what is the story on G mail?

Liz
Old 01-30-2006, 02:04 AM   #5  

I got gmail for a while now, but only a few weeks ago I heard they had some security problem so be careful. In truth, I don't even know if they already got out of the offical title of testing phase. I would be careful no matter which mail server u use. I perfer yahoo for more sensitive stuff sent to me personally, cause for free I can use a secure login at least, but that doesn't mean ur more secure with ur actual email. It's extra and it's free so I like that. I also got yahoo sbc through my service provider so I use that one too.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:21 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have a gmail account, too. I think it's still in Beta--otherwise, it would be available to everyone, and we wouldn't have a limited number of invites.

Some people freak out about it because they don't understand what goes on regarding the topics of your messages and ads and such...my sister's fiance refuses to sign up because he says, "they read your email and send you spam based on what's in your messages." This seems to be a common misconception--all that actually happens is that a program (no real people) picks up on word that are frequently used in your messages so that Google can tailor the ads onthe page to your interests. This is the same thing they do on Amazon when you sign up--they know what you've shopped for, so they show you ads that they think you'd be interested in. No human actually reads your messages, and they don't send you spam.

I also have invites if anyone wants an account, so feel free to PM me if you'd like I like that it pretty much doesn't have a storage limit--I don't think I've ever deleted any messages. I also like that it keeps your messages together more like conversations so you don't see 8 emails from the same person in your Inbox--instead, they are bunched together, and you can open the one message and see the enitre message history.
Closed Thread