Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #1  

Smile Newbie, should I go to meetings and buy a calculator, etc?

1. Are the meetings and the weigh ins worth it?

I have posted before about the fact that it is very difficult to go to meetings. The fifty bucks a month, plus the lack of childcare, make than an almost insurmountable obstacle.

Plus, my dh mocks me and makes fun of me every time I try to lose weight. I would prefer to do this without his knowledge, because having him know is just opening myself up to that.

But -- if the meetings are really helpful, I would somehow try to swing it. I don't know how, but where there is a will, there is a way.

2. What about the little calculator? I have misplaced my sliding calculator at least half a dozen times and I am thinking that a small points calculator may be easier to use?

3. What other WW tools have you found helpful? The bracelet looks very helpful for someone who has been doing it for a while. I can't tell if the books of points are useful or not. I did buy the spiral bound journal for $4.

Thanks for your input. I feel that weight loss zeal coming on!
Old 01-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'8

Go to meetings. This may sound very strange but here is my scenario. I recently cut my pay check in half by not working so much because of school. My new years resolution was to not eat out so much (used to eat out 10 to 15 times a week!) and I joined weight watchers against my dh will because he said we couldn't afford it. He does the bills and has a fit when I spend money most of the time because we are trying to save. I have been going for 4 weeks and not once have I had to ask for money for weight watchers. I am sure that there are those little things that you spend money on, soda, drive thru, gas, entertainment, cigs if u smoke and u should quit if you do, etc. I started a fund in my weight watcher deluxe kit(black holder for all my books) and some how I have enough every week, in fact I have enough for the next three weeks! And I still do the things I love but not as often. After 3 weeks of going and seeing how committed I was he stopped teasing me, has lost weight himself and even contributed 5 dollars one day to my fund! Heck raid the coin jug if you have to! I have lost about 10 pounds in the last 4 weeks and I feel awesome!
And yes buy the calculator it is fabulous! Look on ebay too! You want to buy the kit with the books with the spiral tracker for 23 dollars at the meeting, my calculator is an old one it doesn't do activity points like the new one but works great the store
Old 01-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #3  

That's interesting that people find the meetings so helpful. I will go!

What about the calculator.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #4  
marathoner in tranning

S/C/G: 211/190/155

i think the meetings are so well worth it that i locked in 10 week for $99 before teh price goes up in march. its inspiring andeach weeki learn somthing new and you will meet people in ur are who have similar goals as far as the children at my meetings you can sit in the back and let them play with something while the meeting is going on and twice i have seen people bring their children and no it was not a problem.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I need the negative reinforcment of weighing combined with positive reinforcment of stickers as a sort of Pavlovian stick/treat. I mostly count it as social time, but I do a much better job of sticking to the program when I go to meetings.

As for the $ - I figure I am saving at least $10 a week by not going out to eat, not drinking wine, not buying drinks, not buying snacks, not etc....
Old 01-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #6  

I am in my second week of WW. I enjoy the meetings. I need that motivation and the little talks that they have. Just to hear everyones success stories helps to keep me going.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #7  

I don't go to the meetings and am still losing about 2 lbs a week. I was just not inspired by the leader. It's hard for me to get to them with the hours I work and I do not think they are worth the $60.00 per month.
Closed Thread