Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-28-2006, 09:23 AM   #1  
My Happy Place

Default What time of day do you exercise?

I had been doing my exercise video in the early afternoon (while my kids were napping), but last week I started doing it first thing in the morning, around 6:30 am, right after my DH left for work. It's exhilirating! It takes a little more self-convincing to get me up and at 'em at that time, and I'm usually talking myself out of not quitting through the first 15 minutes, lol, but once I'm into it and especially when I'm done, I feel awesome and have much better days. I still like doing it mid-day, especially to give me a boost if I'm feeling sluggish or having a bad day. But first thing in the morning is now my favorite time to exercise.
What time of day do you fit your exercise in? What benefits do you see by doing it then? What challenges do you face from working out at that time?
DoingItForMyBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

4pm, after I get off work. I actually find that I have the energy for work, it is finding energy to take care of my family that is hard.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

First thing in the morning is best for me because I make sure to fit it in before heading off to work and it gets me going. I also run a couple days after work with a friend and that works because she's waiting for me so I know I have to go. Even if I don't feel like heading to the gym in the morning I'll pop in a pilates DVD or something to give me some time to myself.

Keep in mind i've always been a morning person so this may not work for others!
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #4  

What kind of workout can you do first thing in the morning? I usually do some yoga and pilates, but my body is too stiff to do anything else. I work out after work at around 5. I've often wondered if you burn more calories working out in the morning or if the time you workout really matters. Does anyone know?
milkseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:23 AM   #5  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I almost almost exercise first thing - nothing else can distract me from it to stop it at that time in the morning, and I'm too tired to make up excuses! I also find when I'm running I don't get as many stitches because I've not just eaten (I exercise then have breakfast).

I've started doing post work exercise too, yoga and running with a group, and I ran this afternoon instead of this morning because of hangover issues, but I much prefer mornings.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:02 PM   #6  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

I usually allow myself an hour to get fully awake and warmed up before I exercise. Sometimes I'll even eat a light breakfast first-thing, then give myself an hour and then burn it all off. I feel that a good workout is the best way to get a jump on the day
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #7  
Mom to an active 1 yr old

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'8

I get off work at 1:30pm...and eat lunch at home....so I exercise about 4:00pm and then again about 8:00pm before I go to bed.
Alaynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I workout whenever I can, my schedule varies and some weeks I have no routine. Some days I go out at 5am, 11am, 2pm, 4pm.... each time has its advantages. The only time I don't workout is after 7pm because it just stimulates me so much that I can't fall asleep till 1am ... I haven't found any differences in weightloss doing it certain times of the day. One thing that I have noticed is that if I don't workout I GAIN weight , so I just MUST workout!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #9  

I wish I could work out in the morning. I would love to be able to get it over with. I have been walking on my treadmill in the evenings, that is when I seem to have the most energy.
MollyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #10  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I get up at 5am to get my family and myself ready for work and school. I'm not getting up earlier for excercise.

Personally, I try to keep my excercise to a doable schedule because when I lose weight if I work out tons during weightloss, my body will expect if after too. I know myself, I won't stick to it. I'm building up to at least 3 times a week and that's what I'm going to stick to.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #11  
Wife, Mom and Teacher

S/C/G: 223~211~150

Height: 5'3"

Since I work fulltime, I usually workout first thing in the morning (6:15ish). If I don't do that, or if I want more, I try to get something in either right after school (I'm a teacher) or awhile after supper. Basically, whenever I can fit it in!

Michele
Michele L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:13 AM   #12  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafinlySmart
Personally, I try to keep my excercise to a doable schedule because when I lose weight if I work out tons during weightloss, my body will expect if after too. I know myself, I won't stick to it. I'm building up to at least 3 times a week and that's what I'm going to stick to.
I said that. I said I won't increase my exercise above what I'm doing. And then I started to get hooked, and I do more because I choose to not because I want to lose weight faster. Just because I like meeting up with people for a run, or going to yoga, or doing the other active stuff I've got into.

It's a slippery slope I tell you!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:43 PM   #13  
Powerlifter

Height: 5'2"

I workout at the gym in the morning after i drop the kids at school at 8:30 am but on my 2 rugby training nights we train for 2 hours between 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm
Trusylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:23 AM   #14  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 125kg/125kg/70kg

Height: 164cm

I was an afternoon person, but for the past two weeks I've been getting up in the mornings. Its a struggle to get out of bed, but when I do its awesome. I go to work wide awake and ready to go. I need to get to bed earlier, but I'm slowly adapting to the change in body clock.
Renny Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #15  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking Exercise in the Morning

I like to exercise first thing in the morning although I am not really a morning person. It jump start my day and I feel good all day. The reason I did was because of my schedule. I am too distracted after work to workout. The article below really inspired me too: (can’t remember where I found it)

Quote:
Exercise In The Morning!

If I had to pick a single factor that I thought was most important in a successful exercise or weight loss program, it would be to exercise first thing in the morning... every morning! Some mornings, you may just be able to fit in a 10 minute walk, but it's important to try to do something every morning.
So why mornings?...

1. Over 90% of people who exercise *consistently*, exercise in the morning. If you want to exercise consistently, odds are in your favor if you exercise first thing in the morning.

2. When you exercise early in the morning, it "jump starts" your metabolism and keeps it elevated for hours, sometimes up to 24 hours! That means you're burning more calories all day long just because you exercised in the morning!

3. When you exercise in the morning you'll be *energized* for the day! Personally, I feel dramatically different on days when I have and haven't exercised in the morning.

4. Many people find that morning exercise "regulates" their appetite for the day...that they aren't as hungry and that they make better food choices. Several people have told me that it puts them in a "healthy mindset"

5. If you exercise at about the same time every morning... and ideally wake-up at about the same time on a regular basis, your body's endocrine system and circadian rhythms adjust to that, and physiologically, some wonderful things happen; A couple of hours *before* you awaken, your body begins to prepare for waking and exercise because it "knows" it's about to happen...why? because it "knows" you do the same thing just about everyday. You benefit from that in several ways.

a. It's MUCH easier to wake-up. When you wake-up at different times everyday, it confuses your body and thus it's never really "prepared" to awaken.
b. Your metabolism and all the hormones involved in activity and exercise begin to elevate while you're sleeping. Thus, you feel more alert, energized, and ready to exercise when you do wake-up.
c. Hormones prepare your body for exercise by regulating blood pressure, heart rate, blood flow to muscles, etc.

6. For many people, that appointed time every morning becomes something they look forward to. It's time they've set aside to do something good for themselves...to take care of their body and mind. Many find that it's a great time to think clearly, pray, plan their day, or just relax mentally.

7. Research has demonstrated that exercise increases mental acuity... on average it lasts four to ten hours after exercise! No sense in wasting that while you're sleeping.

8. Exercise first thing in the morning is really the only way to assure that something else won't crowd exercise out of your schedule. When your days get hectic, exercise usually takes a backseat!

9. If finding time to exercise is difficult, anyone can get up 30 to 60 min earlier to exercise (if it's a priority in your life). If necessary, you can go to sleep a little earlier. Also, research has demonstrated that people who exercise on a regular basis have a higher quality of sleep and thus require less sleep!

10. You'll feel GREAT! DO IT!
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote