General chatter - what is the best movie you have seen lately?

liz321
01-27-2006, 11:37 PM
what is your all time favorite move?

Best movie I have seen lately is

WALK THE LINE

Best ever?

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

LIZ

shrinkingchica
01-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I'm with you on Walk the Line for lately.

For best ever? I would have to say that I have no clue, I will have to think quite a bit about that one.

tobetheman
01-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Wow best one that's new is hard. I have uet to see walk the line or munich. I've seen like 10 min of syriana and it looked good, but have yet to see it all. I have seen a number of new movies but since I don't usually pick or have to choose shorter movies due to time constraints I gotta say a lot of them have been bad. The last decent one that turned out to be good to my suprise was MAtch Point. I am not a woody allen fan, in truth I hate his movies. I keep hearing praises on his works but I just flat out don't like them. I have seen at least 4 of his movies in the past and I hated them all. This one though was very good. It switched from one type of movie to another half way through in a way and the last 20 or 30 min. was really really good. First thumbs up for a woody allen film from me. never thought I would have even thought that would happen.

NotTheCheat
01-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Recently, would be American History X (I almost never go to the theater).

All time - I have to say Lawrence of Arabia. Runners up - Antonia's Line and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

DeeJae37
01-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Well since I haven't been to the Movies in such a long time, I'll just go with the one I watched on Satellite....."The Notebook"....

Best No. 1 of all time....."The Passion of the Christ".

Next, "The Color Purple".

happydaisy
01-28-2006, 12:43 AM
The Constant Gardner - thought provoking and beautifully acted.

deleted
01-28-2006, 01:07 AM
"Brokeback Mountain" ... saw it twice last week, and it is fabulous! Jake Gyllenhaal has the most beautiful blue eyes I've ever seen!

Also have seen, in the last month, "Munich", "Walk The Line", and "Capote." All absolutely outstanding!!! :)

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Well, keep in mind I don't get out to the theater with 3 under 4, but we just bought a new DVD player, so we've been catching up with movies lately. The best I've seen in a while is "Love, Actually," a British film that came out I think at the end of '04. Hilarious and yet sweet all at the same time.

My all-time favorite, however, is still "Spaceballs." No one does comedy better than Mel Brooks.

jules1216
01-28-2006, 09:00 AM
rewatched "Rear Window" the Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly - awesome movie

Some other favs- Almost Famous with Kate Hudson and While you were Sleeping with Sandra Bullock

Wisertime
01-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I have to agree about "Brokeback Mountain". I saw this just last night and I can't stop thinking about it. It was a great story & well acted.

Lynn

LadyFirelyght
01-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Batman Begins is a really great movie, IMO. Definitely one of my favorite of newer ones. Close being is Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire :D

My favorite movie of all time, though, would definitely have to be Lord of the Rings (Return of the King, if I have to be specific). Love the books, love the movies... come on, if Orlando Bloom is in it, I am SO there. :D

FrouFrou
01-28-2006, 01:12 PM
The "best" movie ever that I have seen recently (on DVD) is my two favs, While You Were Sleeping and Sleepless in Seattle! I LOVE those two movies and watch them over and over and over. But...going to the show...just saw HOSTEL and it was pretty good. It was funny, a little scary and gross. But then I like movies like that. Have yet to see Brokeback Mountain, may do that next week before it goes off. Speaking of Jake...I saw him in JARHEAD and that was pretty good. Also, saw SAW II, another good one. Honestly though, I can't really say there has been a BEST movie lately, on at the show that is. I haven't really seen one that I would actually buy the DVD and watch over and over. Hasn't been a whole lot on that I want to see and could describe as a "best".

RobinW
01-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Good movies are few and far between, but the best Ive seen recently was Narnia! Very very good!

CynthiaB
01-29-2006, 12:28 AM
Jules, you have good taste in movies!

I really haven't watched any of the latest movies. I tend to wait until they're on DVD for a number of reasons.

But all time favorites? I'll try to come up with five:

1. Heathers
2. Office Space
3. Blues Brothers
4. Steel Magnolias (yes, I cry every time!)
5. Remember the Titans (mostly because my hubby and I were extras!)

Cindy B.

kykaree
01-29-2006, 03:50 AM
I saw Munich yesterday. I went because I love Eric Bana and remember him from his days as a stand up comedian. I thought it was well acted and directed, but it was a bit too one sided for my liking and I thought it justified counter terrorism, and made constant excuses for the behaviour of the Israeli's. But Daniel Craig's startling blue eyes kept me distracted from the moanings of my conscience!!!

I'm yet to see Brokeback Mountain, and Walk the Line doesn't start here til next week!

ladypeacek
01-29-2006, 07:43 AM
HMMM..i am real far behind here on movies cuz i havent seen alot of those. My all time favs are ANYTHING with nicholas cage and morgan freeman. I just finally watch lord of the rings though and i LOVED them!

ladynredd
01-29-2006, 08:06 AM
My favorite new movie is "Pride and Prejudice." Wonderful acting, incredible scenery. I'll probably see Narnia later this week.

I don't know that I could pick a single favorite of all time, but one of the top contenders is "Notting Hill" -- another British romantic comedy. The male star was also in "Love Actually" which is another that I enjoyed quite a bit. Other favs of mine are "Chicago" and "Victor, Victoria" and "Aliens".

jules1216
01-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Jules, you have good taste in movies!

5. Remember the Titans (mostly because my hubby and I were extras!)

Cindy B.

Thanks, so do you. I loved Remeber the Titans and it's so cool that you you and hubby were extras!!

JuliaTN
01-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Crash is an excellent semi-new flick. My all time favorites are The Princess Bride & Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou.

blues4miles
02-01-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't go to theatres much, and don't get to rent chick flicks much, but recently saw The Wedding Date and loved it, one I've already watched again and again. Looking forward to seeing some of the ones mentioned here when they come out on DVD.

All time favorites? Star Wars 4,5,6, The Big Sleep, Casablanca, Sense and Sensability (seems like sometimes my fav movies are a little different at different times of the year :) )

mom2cole
02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
I just watched "Crash" the other day and that was a very good movie. Makes ya think. My all time favorite is "The Fast and the Furious" only because I think Vin Disel is the hottest man alive!!! I want to see "Broke Back Mountain" but my husband refuses to go and see it with me, guess I will just buy it on DVD and open it and then he can't take it back!!

tobetheman
02-06-2006, 01:21 AM
B- would be fair
B would be good
C+ below fair problems within the movie or just boring

I finally saw almost 3/4ths of syriana almost all of it but had to leave cause I got an emergency call. From seeing it I gotta say I was not impressed. It was okay and on some parts good but not as great as other stuff I have seen over the years. The acting is good but their are confusing moments where enough wasn't explained and it didn't do a good job of catching me or bring me into great interest into the movie. I got to give this on a B- maybe a B but it was not as good as some reviews lead me to believe. REcall I have not seen the ending but the leads to it are kind of just average.

I saw goodnight and good luck and that one was better in means that it was better material and better in that all the material connected to each other well. The actors play the roles kind of like their all uptight, when in their offices, which I guess is how people were in the 50s. It was a B+ movie in my opinion. Worthy of being watched and interesting but it's okay to wait for this one on video cause I can't honestly say it is worth paying $7 or more for the ticket to see it.

Munich: I finally saw this one all through none stop and it was really really good. I read another review on here saying it was to one sided. I disagree with that all the way. While there are questions to who started what, it isn't fully answered, the only thing we know is what each one wants and a little bit of why. In a debate part between the main actor and an Arab guy he tells him what arab people want and only some of why they want it. We find out the Jewish main actors reasons too throughout. While he has bias of course, another Jewish man and others at times state such things like: how the heck do u think we got this land in the first place, by being good guys. That pretty much shows the direction of the director. No good guys and a lot of killings.

So, the movie Munich is worthy of ur money. I wasn't sure after seeing Syriana if this would be as good as others have said, but it was. It kind of reminds me of old movies about spies and hitmen. A little French connection I guess, not like the first mission impossible, no more like french connection. I am not a fan of Eric Bana (thought he sucked in the hulk and in other stuff, but was pretty good in troy) but this has got to be his best work from what i've seen. He molds himself into the role very well, has a great cast around him too who all do very good jobs, and is it me or did he lose weight. He at times reminds me of Bale from his face in the movie The Machinist, he looks raged and thin, like ****. I give this one an A. Not prefect not good but almost flawless. Love that it looks like an older real spy himtman movie and the story is good, and for once I can say spielberg has made a great hit since he's older movies, like raiders of the lost arc and et, and so forth. The last few were not worth my money. Eg. War of the Worlds, no offense but I've seen better stuff, the effects were good but that didn't save the movie in my eyes. Minortiy report also sucked. I looked up his movies now, and I guess the Terminal was okay, I liked it as was CAtch me if u can, and no I don't love Tom hanks. The worst of all was A.I. what the **** was that about.

BerkshireGrl
02-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I'll have to jump on the Brokeback Mountain wagon... just saw it last night.

WOW. Heath Ledger & Jake Gyllenhaal do an amazing job. It's powerful, passionate, sweet, funny, beautiful, and terribly tragic.

I'd almost say the perfect chick flick, but I've read about straight men crying afterwards too. ;)

It's funny, the sadness didn't really hit me until after about a half hour after I left the theatre... then I really started to remember how it felt to lose a very powerful love.

Definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen, and I've seen A LOT of movies :lol:

NowOrNever!
02-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Recent movies: Walk the Line which had me mulling the Cash's relationship over for days. I have yet to see Constant Gardener and Brokeback Mountain--looking forward to both.

All time faves: the BBC version of Pride & Prejudice (I'm surprised I haven't worn out the DVD yet!) and for all-time classic schtick, The Great Race with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon. Victor-Victoria is up there too (A Blake Edwards fan I guess!).

MlleOdile
02-07-2006, 12:18 AM
NowOrNever - I am with you... the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice is also my all time favorite. I just saw the version with Keira Knightley, and while it was good, it didn't live up to the BBC version - I just think you need the longer version to see the character development - and I just wasn't sold on the actor playing Darcy... Colin Firth is a totally different story!

liz321
02-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Appreciating all the movie reviews.........lots I have to see now!

Try to be careful not to give too much away though....some of us still want to see it!

Liz

NowOrNever!
02-07-2006, 01:49 AM
Yeah Rhonda! Well, and for those who don't know--the BBC's Pride & Prejudice is the motivator for Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones' Diary. Fielding wrote the book while England (or the women of England) were enthralled with Firth's portrayal of Darcy. The character of Bridget Jones makes many references to P&P and is dying to interview Firth, the actor. Jones' love interest in the book was designed to mirror the qualities of Jane Austen's Darcy. The casting of Colin Firth as a character (in Bridget Jones) spoofing a character (Mr. Darcy in P&P) he has already portrayed adds a layer of complexity (fun, actually) to the movie of Bridget Jones' Diary that is only known to viewers if you've watched the BBC P&P. Like...there's a funny little in-joke around the size of his sideburns that is in direct reference to the rather...ummmm..generous ones that Darcy has in P&P. Anyway...if you're looking for a whole day (or weekend's) worth of fun...watch the 5 hours of BBC's P&P followed by Bridget Jones' Diary. Firth even taps back into the rather stoic qualities of Darcy in P&P for his Jones' portrayal.

This movie review brought to you by....

Tracy :lol:

maggie2005
02-07-2006, 12:25 PM
We were just speaking of movies yesterday and although it isn't new, I remember feeling like my life's perspective changed when I saw "The Elephant Man". That story haunts me when I think of it....

On a newer note, another life-changing movie was "Crash". It was amazing to walk out of the theater and see the looks on everyone's faces....

Really need to see "Walk the Line", being a Reese Witherspoon and Johnny Cash fan!

Nori71
02-07-2006, 06:34 PM
I haven't been to a movie at a theater for over 2 years now.:(

Out of the movies I've seen in the past year or so I especially remember and like Crash, Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River.

All time favorite movie: The Shawshank Redemption. I can watch it over and over again. Very inspirational..."get busy livin or get busy dyin"... I REALLY like Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins.

BuffyinAus
02-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, considering I have not had a sitter and my husband is in Australia and I have to take my young son to the movies to keep him occupied...would you believe Narnia..the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I think I have it memorised...Nicholas and I have seen it three times already and he's desperately waiting (so am I!) for the DVD to come out. Thankfully, Harry Potter's Goblet of Fire is no longer at the movies..lol. Admittedly, the graphics are pretty good in Narnia and he just LOVES it. It lets mommy get out of the house also...so I guess we win all round.:carrot:

flipafart
02-09-2006, 02:30 AM
something new its sexy, romantic and different:dizzy:

~Shawna~
02-09-2006, 10:45 AM
I went and saw The Ringer in the theatres a few weeks ago. HILARIOUS movie!!!