Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #1  

Default Oh, it was GOOD! Recipe for bored dieters

I made lunch today and for those of you who cook I thought I'd share. We really liked this and it was different. Necessity is the mother of invention and we weren't able to get to subway as planned. This is vegetables in a cream sauce served with chicken over noodles.

You need a big non-stick skillet--mine is electric. This makes two nice sized portions. My husband and daughter gave this big thumbs up.

Ingredients:

Chicken Breasts (You can cook a whole pack at a time with this and throw the leftover in the fridge for salads, etc)
Assorted Veggies (I used 2 cups brocolli, 2 cups cabbage and onion but I think red pepper and mushrooms would have been nice too)
Low fat sour cream, 2 oz
1 rounded Teaspoon chicken stock concentrate (this is a goo that you keep in your fridge. They sell it at costco in beef or chicken flavor and I consider it a must have--you could also use a boullion cube but it's not nearly as good)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 servings of whole wheat pasta cooked al dente
1 heaping tbsp dried garlic flakes or 2 cloves chopped fresh garlic
dried parsley

Spray your pan with pam and season your chicken breast to taste. Brown it on both sides. Put in 1.5 cups water and place all veggies on top of chicken with garlic and parsley. Place lid on pan and steam chicken breast and veggies on medium until veggies are well done and chicken breast is cooked (should be right at the same time). Remove chicken breast, set aside. Make sure you have enough liquid in pan to make a bit of sauce. If you need more add a half cup or so. Stir in your concentrated stock and sour cream until well mixed. Mix cornstarch with a touch of water and stir in until you have a nice gravy.

Measure your noodles and plate them. Pour half the vegetable sauce over the noodles. Weigh your chicken breast, slice and place on top. This makes a nice, big plate of food that stays with you. It's a little itty bit like pasta primavera. I can't think of anything else to compare it with. You can add any variety of veggies you'd like. It's creamy and tastes very rich but is full of fiber, protein and veggies. And no, I don't watch sodium intake. You could sprinkle this with parmesan too.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #2  
Working My Way Back Down

This sounds really, really good. I've printed it off to try.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote