Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #1  

Question Help me evaluate

I currently weigh 262 LBS (pre Friday weigh in) and I need a little help evaluating my workout routine I am currently doing :

Monday- Weights, legs, back, triceps, shoulders, chest

Tuesday-Spin Class! 45 minutes of Cardio!

Wednesday- Elliptical Machine- 35 minutes of Cardio!

Thursday- Spin Class again ! 45 Minutes of Cardio

Friday- Weights same as above

Saturday- Outdoor running 45 Minutes of Cardio!

Sunday Complete rest!

I'm averaging about 1200 calories a day of very low carb eating for several reasons, I'm very insulin resistant to the point that I "pass out" after eating refined carbs and refined sugars, so I cut those out completely. I know I need to probably add some "good carbs" back in like sweet potatoes which don't bother me as much as other stuff. But at this point I can't tolerate any bread, white potatoes, white rice, etc. Even stuff like brown rice and 100% whole wheat bread slows down my weight loss and makes me a little sluggish. I'm adding in fruit and dairy next week since I was a little headachy this week. I'm sure that 1200 is probably not enough calories to hold me since I've had headaches. But any advise suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Ruth
msruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #2  
9.95 + S & H

Your workout routine seems fine, but I don't think for your current weight you're eating enough. Your body is going to hang on to every ounce of fat it can if you starve it of the calories it needs. Because you do so much cardio and lifting, you should eat at least 1800 calories a day, and as you lose weight you can decrease that amount slowly.

Good luck!

Kathy
PsycoPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Agree with PP. To just maintain, you would need 2600 cals a day, and you have cut it by more than half. I would say that's probably too low, esp. if you are trying to build muscle. I would add in some lean protein choices such as chicken breast and brown rice to add 500 kc back in daily, or maybe even a protein powder smoothie, since I'm partial to them.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:50 AM   #4  

Talking Thank you!

Yeah it's just like I thought. I've added in more lean protien and next week slowly adding in those low glycemic carbs. I'm also restructuring a little since I really don't have the time on my lunch breaks to do all my weight training, I'm looking for a good split. Probably going to try the quick one from Stumptous.com, get in, get out, go home. I only have about 45 minutes and I'm stretching it to the limit on those days. Any suggestions on a quick full body, two day slpit would be great too. Thanks for all your help! I've been doing this one for about 3 weeks and have set aside 4 lbs in the process, so the weight loss is going fine I guess. I've hear we should aim for 1-2 lbs a week and I'm holding steady at that so I'm doing good! Thanks again! You all are awesome!
Ruthie
Old 01-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #5  
Mel

I think you should eat more, but if you've been eating 1200 calories, you will probably NOT lose on 1800. I'd gradually move the level up to 1600 over 2-3 weeks. You can get plenty of nutrients as long as they are HEALTHY calories, and it gives you enough "wiggle room" to have a higher calorie day once in a while as well as room to go lower if you plateau.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #6  
She

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
I think you should eat more, but if you've been eating 1200 calories, you will probably NOT lose on 1800. I'd gradually move the level up to 1600 over 2-3 weeks. You can get plenty of nutrients as long as they are HEALTHY calories, and it gives you enough "wiggle room" to have a higher calorie day once in a while as well as room to go lower if you plateau.

Mel
Mel, are you saying that you think once Ruth's body has adjusted to an average of 1600 calories a day, her metabolism will in essence "correct" itself and she will start losing weight with a combination of exercise and 1600 daily calories?

Thanks!

~Julie
She is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #7  
Mel

Yes, as long as she hasn't been living on 1200 calories for years, or has any metabolic issues. A sudden jump to 1800 would be too much.

Also depends on age, which I didn't ask about , but at Ruth's current weight and exercise schedule, she really should lose on 1600. 1400 would work too. 1200 just doesn't leave any room for error, and makes most people crazy. It's not necessary, especially if she's having headaches and not feeling well.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:16 PM   #8  

Arrow

Ok I'm trying that and I can see that I need more room. I've been feeling a lot better since adding a little more to those 5-6 meals. My body had quickly gotten used to eating every 3 hours or so, but I'm adding in bulk fiber like broccoli, cauliflower, homemade coleslaw, extra salad. I feel much better this week. I haven't been living on the 1200 a day for very long and taking it up a notch was a great idea. Also it has given me room for the weekends when I don't plan as well. (Shhh don't tell anyone about all the chicken wings I had Saturday!) Also I got a brilliant idea and I think it's going to work out, I just do have the weight training on alternate days so I've spread out the weights over the week. Monday-Arms, Shoulders, Wednesday- Chest, back, Friday-legs. I'm just learning how to add in weights properly so bear with me. Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:11 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Monday-Arms, Shoulders, Wednesday- Chest, back, Friday-legs.
Doing Chest and back on the same day is not beneficial because they are both large muscle groups and you shouldn't work those on the same day....Another thing that is not recommended is to work biceps/triceps on the same day because when chest day comes around you work the tricep again and this could cause overtraining and you could injure yourself, same with the back and bicep muscles. Does this make sense if not just ask more questions...

If you like the 3 day split try it this way...
Monday -- Legs
Wednesday -- Back biceps
Friday -- Chest triceps
You could either incorporate shoulders in with the leg day or in with the chest/tricep day, time permitting... OR another option would be to work shoulders in with a cardio day since it could take only 15-20 mins to do shoulders alone...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #10  

Thumbs up Thank you Ilene!

Ilene, that looks great. Looks like I can squeeze those in before or after my cardio. I have about 20 minutes after I'm done with cardio on those days. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for the tip. I'm posting a link to my fitday journal too. Oh boy I'll have to be accountable then Yikes!