Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #1  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Default Are avocado's bad for you?

What is the actual nutritional info for an avocado? Are they bad for you?! I was going to have a wrap for lunch and cut up pieces of one in it but i want to know if it's a bad idea?!
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #2  

They're not "bad" exactly, but they are very high in fat. The good news is that it's the good kind of fat (unsaturated) It's a great vegetarian option, but if your wrap already has other nutrient-dense ingrediants, use the avocado sparingly. Also, I reccommend picking up a calorie counting book, most of them are actually on sale at book stores (people giving up on resolutions Good luck!
kara22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:14 PM   #3  

Yes, avocados are good for you, but they are very calorie-dense. In my program they are counted as a fat, just like oil, mayo, butter, nuts, olives, etc. One-eighth of an avocado is 1 fat exchange, which is equal to 1 tsp of oil, mayo, etc. So, if you think of it as a fatty condiment, like salad dressing, it's a good choice nutritionally.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #4  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

okay so if i was just counting calories and i am having a 80 calorie mission carb wheat tortilla with one avocado and other veggies in there what would i be looking at calorie wise anyone?
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #5  
it's always something

One avocado has anywhere from 275 to 375 calories, depending on size. California avocados are smaller. So if you use the whole thing, your calories will add up pretty quickly. If you use 1/2 of an avocado, one tortilla, and a few other veggies, you are probably looking at about 240 to 280 calories.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:26 PM   #6  

The thing to think about in addition to nutrition, though, is nutrition. If you have a low-carb tortilla, vegetables, and 1/2 and avocado, you are getting a WHOPPING serving of fat and very little protein. Sixty percent of the calories for that wrap would be from fat. Even though that's good fat, that's not necessarily a smart way to eat unless the rest of your food for the day is a lot lower in fat, and you have other adequate sources of protein. Just think about how the wrap fits into your day nutritionally; calories are only part of it.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #7  
LLV

Yes, but the fat in avocados is the heart-healthy kind. Monounsaturates. No, it's not a good idea to eat them all the time, but they can become part of a healthy diet eaten in moderation.

Just a note, Florida avocados (the bigger, brighter green kind) are lower in fat than California avocados. And remember, just because you eat avocado, it doesn't mean you have to sit and eat the whole thing.

1 ounce of California avocado has 50 calories and 4.92 grams of fat, 3 of those are monounsaturated. 1 ounce of Florida avocado has 31 calories and 2.5 grams of fat.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #8  
LLV

And remember, any food can be bad for you if you eat too much of it. As far as putting on weight from excess calories, that is.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote