Old 01-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/198/150

Height: 5'2"

Question Good Low Impact Workout?

I need a reccomendation for a good low impact workout DVD. I'm looking for more callistenics (sp?) than aerobics due to a gimpy ankle (not to mention, I never was coordinated enough to follow all those steps and jumps!)

Thanks!
RhondaHTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:27 AM   #2  

Smile

Try pilates -- its very low impact, heck, you do it in your socks -- no shoes necessary.

I do Winsor Pilates -- but there are many out there. Winsor has a new one out called Maximum Burn -- I don't suggest you get that one because it has an aerobic like workout prior to the floor work -- but her original pilates work outs are all low impact and you will see results if you stick with it.

Blessings,
Travisli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #3  

you could try a stability ball (aka exercise ball & swiss ball). very low impact as well.

i have the "stability ball workout for dummies" and i quite enjoy it. it's uncomplicated and she explains everything very well even offering variations to make the exercises easier or harder.
canadian*girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #4  

If you are trying to do cardio because you want to lose weight there are some good ones out there. Most Kathy Smith videos have a modifier that does the moves low impact and once you learn you can apply it to other videos. Also try kickboxing. This is one of the most intense excersises you can get without jumping around and there are lots of good ones out there.
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #5  

You might want to look at the Leslie Sansone- Walk Away the Pounds (WATP) series too. I have an extremely screwed up knee (use a cane when I'm out of the house most of the time, kneecap doesn't track correctly even after tons of surgeries...it doesn't help that I tore one of the muscles after a surgery as a teen that wasn't discovered/diagnosed/treated until I was almost 30). I can do the WATP- there is no fancy foot work, just walking in place with occasional gentle side steps, light kicks, & knee raises. The other good thing is that you are 'walking' on a flat, even surface in your own house- I know for me, walking on uneven surfaces is still one of the hardest things for my knee, and when I'm most like to have problems with falls due to my kneecap dislocating. I'm with you on not being able most of the aerobics type tapes- I end up concentrating so much on what my feet & legs are doign that I can't keep up or just end up frustrated...even with the Richard Simmons ones.

The stability ball exercises are good too. I love to use my stability ball at my computer instead of my chair to work on my core without having to actively workout. They are great for workout...and fun too. You can pick them up at WalMart even. If you're a little unsure of unstability of a ball, you can start with a capsule ball (I think they look like 2 peanuts in the shell )- they you only roll in one dirrection instead of all which ways.
christineu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #6  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

WATP is a great low-impact workout, but that's more aerobics. They come in 15 minute (1 mile) - 60 minute (4 mile) increments.

I also will put in a plug for Windsor Pilates. Those videos are GREAT. I actually have one Windsor Pilates video (it's about 45 minutes) that is all stability ball exercises. Some of them are fairly challenging, but they demonstrate modifications to make them a bit easier if you need them. I have also heard good things about the Stability Ball for Dummies workout, although I have never seen or used it myself.
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote