Old 01-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #1  
ugggg.....

Default Not enough calories???

I eat a mostly vegetarian diet with lots of fresh veggies and very little actual meat. Fish & white meat only. My question is if there is a such thing as not eating enough calories for weightloss?
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I'm not an expert at this. You should ask this question under calorie queen diet. The bottom line is Calories in/Calories out matter. So does not eating enough calories. Your body will slow its metabolism and burn the wrong thing.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Please read this informative thread then come back and tell us what you ate yesterday.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...tarvation+mode
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #4  
ugggg.....

Okay, I read the thread--very informative by the way.
Typical Day (actual yesterday totals)--
Breakfast
coffee w/sugar 11
Oatmeal 160
w/light soy milk 40
Lunch
Lean Cuisine (chicken meditterranean) 240
Snack
Apple (med) 80
Dinner
Veggie Burger 90
Brown Rice 110
Spinach 90

gives me a total of 821 plus the minimum 80 oz of water a day at 0 calories
I am 5'6'' and weigh 211 lbs--I go to a curves type gym 3 to 4 days a week and I try to walk at least 1 mile a day with my dogs.
I just recently added breakfast in to the day, I did WW a few years ago and had to force myself to get the required points in a day with food--allotted 5 points of total for my Coke. At that time with no exercise I lost 8 lbs in 10 weeks,but I wanted BIG numbers and gave up.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:03 PM   #5  

800 is low. How do you feel? Fatigued? Sleepy? Grouchy? Can you do the workout you'd planned and carry on with the rest of your day?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #6  
ugggg.....

I am border line anemic so I do get tired sometimes. Eating the spinach seems to help with the iron count so I am trying to eat more of it,but it is very low calorie. I have a high stress job and I have been doing the women's gym program with no problem for the last 3 months. I switched from Coke(the calorie laden kind) to water during New Years. I feel alot better with that change and I did lose nine pounds the first two weeks. I truly am not hungry I am wondering if my metabolism is low since I have eating this way for years. I do have very low blood pressure--I run around 100-110 over 60-70. The usual is 100 over about 65.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:05 PM   #7  

Nine pounds is amazing in two weeks. As for metabolisms varying ... they can. Read some posts by ... Mel ... I think. She really doesn't eat very many calories.

I tend to get off on my pet project which is protein. Do you know what percentage of calories you're taking in in protein?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Mine is nutrients. Are you reaching most/all of your RDA of nutrients?
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:08 PM   #9  
ugggg.....

I've just started recording the calories, that's when I was shocked to find that I am not consuming alot. I think the nine pound weightloss is do to the fact that I am not drinking several Cokes a day which probably doubled my calorie intake.
As for protein, I do wonder sometimes if I am getting enough. I saw something about protein powder and I was wondering about adding a protein shake each day which would up my daily calories.
The nutrients, I think I am okay since I do eat alot of fresh vegetables especially salads and even though my day doesn't show it. I also take extra b vitamins and a multi-vitamin from the Health Food store.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:33 PM   #10  

I've asked so many people if the have a fitday.com account ... I'm almost afraid to ask again .... Do you? I've really learned alot about nutrition thru it.
I do have a protein shake every morning and I take multi vits and calcium too.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #11  
Mel

The iron in spinach is mostly "bound" and not absorbed by your body. If I remember waaaaay back to nutrition classes, having something with vitamin D when you have the spinach helps, but it's still not a good source of bioavailable iron. If you are anemic, (sorry) red meat or a supplement is a better choice.

I really don't think you are eating enough. You should lose weight, but you're body will get used to those low calories and how low can you go if you hit a plateau? Can you possibly maintain eating that way for the rest of your life?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #12  
ugggg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
The iron in spinach is mostly "bound" and not absorbed by your body. If I remember waaaaay back to nutrition classes, having something with vitamin D when you have the spinach helps, but it's still not a good source of bioavailable iron. If you are anemic, (sorry) red meat or a supplement is a better choice.

I really don't think you are eating enough. You should lose weight, but you're body will get used to those low calories and how low can you go if you hit a plateau? Can you possibly maintain eating that way for the rest of your life?

Mel
I did make it to 1164 calories yesterday. I never really lost the pregnancy weight (70 lbs) after my daughter (and she is 18!!!) and then almost two years ago I was in a motorcycle accident which messed up my knee. I gained an additional 20 lbs since then. I started exercising in September and watching what we eat. Since the kids have moved out both Hubby & I don't eat as much--he's gained too and is having trouble losing which has never been a problem.

When I remember to take my vitamins they are w/iron. I have problems taking iron suppliments but if a take folic acid (when I take the multi vitamin)it actually aids in the absorption of iron in foods. I am thinking at this point I need to take some kind of memory aid to help in remebering to take my vitamins!