Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 05:45 PM   #1  

Default Help On Treadmill

Goodness,I'm wondering if someone could help Me out.I have a electric Treadmill that I use everyday for 50 minutes and I try to walk at about 2.7 to 3.I have found out that going so fast makes My Legs and Knees hurt after a while.Could'nt I walk at a speed of about 2.5 or so as long as I keep My heart rate up?I'm 42 Years Old.What should My heart rate for a treadmill stay at??How about the new power belt thats out?that would help keep My heart rate up on the treadmill also,thats like a belt You wear around Your waist and You pull on these 2 ropes(I call) in and out so Your upper body is also getting exercise and it keeps Your heart rate up.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:58 PM   #2  

I think you might be walking too fast if your legs and knees are hurting. You also might not be warming up enough either. 50 minutes is a long time to walk 7 days a week. Are you feeling pain while you are the treadmill?

I do a 5 minute warm-up then stop & stretch my lower body (calf raises & lower body stretches) and then do about 20-30 mins high intensity cardio then cool down for 5 mins. I then do about 20 minutes of stretching afterwards.

I don't think it matters how fast your treadmill says you are walking just as long as you are sweating and feel like your heartrate is up.

Also I just swing my arms,about waist height, I think you would get the same benefit from buying one of those waist things.

I hope this helps
Old 07-24-2001, 05:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi,
If the pain in your legs is concentrated in your knees and shins, you could have the treadmill set too fast for your fitness level,causing you to put your foot down too hard and stressing those areas, and you may want to check the incline on your treadmill also-if it is at an incline this will also put stress on those areas.
Your legs will strengthen as you continue to work out, but for now take the pace down a touch, aand maybe try 30-45 min. until you feel better about it. Also take a calcium supplement if you are not doing so, as it will help keep your bones strong and keep the pain in your legs from getting worse because of bone loss.
Aphil
Closed Thread