General chatter - FoodNetwork TV

View Full Version : FoodNetwork TV

NemesisClaws
01-24-2006, 09:11 PM
:chef:Does anyone watch the FoodNetwork channel these days? I've been wondering if anyone really gets into that Low Carbs Chef, or that Calorie counting Chef on there? I've noticed that them two have very limited air time and I was wondering why? For myself, I've been getting into Everyday Italian and Paula's Home Cooking....

purple_monkey_ninja
01-24-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm a big big fan of Alton Brown and his show Good Eats, he's awesome! I haven't seen the shows you're referring to, though.

Kamily828
01-24-2006, 11:01 PM
I love Paulas Home Cooking, Good Eats, Iron Chef, Ham on the Street, Unwrapped, Barefoot Contessa and anything with Tyler Florence. Hes such a sweetie.

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-25-2006, 12:28 AM
The only actual cooking shows I watch on Food Network are Good Eats & Iron Chef America. I am in awe of how difficult Alton Brown can make even the simplest dish. :lol:

AmberM
01-25-2006, 12:34 AM
I haven't seen Calorie commando on there much lately...they had a show for awhile where they followed 3 people who were trying to lose weight for 3 months but I haven't seen that at all! I did see a few episodes right at the beginning of the year but I haven't seen it since. The calorie commando is great because he really pares down the calories on some recipes. I guess they just didn't get a lot of viewers? He is kinda boring when he speaks but his info is good.

Amber

MTHead
01-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I adore Rachel Ray (I know, tons of people hate her) and sometimes I'll watch the old Iron Chef reruns b/c the dishes they make are so bizarre. I remember there were a couple of shows featuring more health-conscious cooking, but I never watched them.

mauvaisroux
01-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Don't know if you get the same shows in the U.S. as we do in Canada on our Food network but I really like Jaime Oliver :)

paperclippy
01-25-2006, 09:28 AM
I love Paula's home cooking but I crack up every time I watch it because she is always adding whole sticks of butter or bacon fat or something to everything she cooks. I can only imagine how many calories are in that stuff! But it looks soooo tasty.

I'm a fan of 30 minute meals (I hated Rachael Ray at first but now I love her), Iron Chef America, Food Network Challenge, Ham on the Street, Emeril (though I've gotten kind of tired of him), and Sugar Rush (the host isn't so good but the desserts on there are amazing!). I'll also watch Semi-Homemade and I love "The Secret Life Of ..."

I actually don't like Good Eats, something about Alton Brown just rubs me the wrong way. :shrug:

Caity
01-25-2006, 10:16 AM
I love Rachel Ray and Paula Dean even though Paula's recipes aren't always diet friendl :))

jules1216
01-25-2006, 10:23 AM
I love Rachael Ray and just subscribed to her new magazine. My husband actually likes Mings Quest--can't remember if that is the Food Network or the FineLiving Channel.

Kamily828
01-25-2006, 10:35 AM
I forgot about Rachel. I love her energy. Shes always so perky.

Is it just me or does Alton remind anyone of the guy that sung "She blinded me with science"?

liz321
01-25-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't watch cooking shows........just one more way to make myself feel inadequate :)

Liz

NemesisClaws
01-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Huh! Ok, thanks everyone! I had been trying to watch Calorie Commando whenever it did come on these days, but have had enormous difficulty trying to double his receipes a few times due to some of the shortcuts he used. So I had been wondering if anyone on this site really got into his receipes or that Low Carbs Chef very much.

One benefit for me though besides all the cooking....on Barefoot Contessa, I just adore that green stripes wallpaper/paint in the background! If nothing else, it sure did inspire my decorating instincts! LOL

pumpingiron
01-25-2006, 02:08 PM
I forgot about Rachel. I love her energy. Shes always so perky.

Is it just me or does Alton remind anyone of the guy that sung "She blinded me with science"?

OMG!!!!!! LOL :rofl: I thought he looked like someone familiar, yet I couldn't put my finger on it!!!

Suzanne 3FC
01-25-2006, 03:21 PM
I love Alton, and agree with the comparison :lol: I like to watch Everyday Italian, she does great things with vegetables. I also love Everyday Entertaining with Michael Chiarello, yum yum yum! And his food looks pretty good, too :p

I can't stand to watch Paula Deen. All of the y'alling drives me batty. I've lived in the south my whole life and never knew anyone to say y'all that many times in a month, let alone a 30 minute period. It seems forced at times, so I wonder if her producers encourage her to say it, to seem more "southern".

I'm also irritated by the Semi-Homemade show. She creates all of these recipes that look like they are designed for (or by, lol) children, and then tosses in a recipe for cocktails on the side. I just don't get it. :?:

I agree with Nemesis, I love to look at their kitchens! I really love both kitchens from Everyday Italian.

Rosario
01-25-2006, 03:28 PM
What's wrong with Rachel Ray? She is kind of cheesy but she makes some pretty good stuff. And they should bring back Party Starters. That was a good one.

happytx
01-25-2006, 03:38 PM
I love food network, Rachel Ray, Alton Brown, paula Deen, that Italian chick, cant say her name let alone spell, but I love them all, I do know in my area at least they run Calorie commando at like 3 in the morning. And the other show where the 3 people have a 3 month program to lose weight runs at like 10 on Tuesday mornings, I TIVO them.

LindaT
01-25-2006, 03:55 PM
I love Rachael.. just the best. Also a fan of Alton, the low carb and calorie commando guys sometimes have interesting shows and I like to look at Tyler because he is too cute. :lol: Unwrapped is also pretty interesting.

I'm with you on Sandra lee, Suzanne. What's up with all the cocktails? FAR too much emphasis on booze on that show, IMHO.

I am wondering how on earth Rachal manages to do ALL those shows and plus she's getting a talk show I think this fall? Sheesh.. she must drink a LOT of coffee :coffee:

Oh and Happy, I think someone needs to feed Giada a sandwich! :lol:

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-25-2006, 06:15 PM
I can't stand to watch Paula Deen. All of the y'alling drives me batty. I've lived in the south my whole life and never knew anyone to say y'all that many times in a month, let alone a 30 minute period. It seems forced at times, so I wonder if her producers encourage her to say it, to seem more "southern".

I think I will snap the next time I hear that woman say "pee-can". :lol: I cannot stand her accent. I bet she is told to crank it up, though. She's known for being Southern, after all. It's like she's our ambassador to the rest of the country, so they can all come down and talk to us like we're stupid.

Rachael Ray is just so...so...PERKY. I like her travel shows, but that's about as much of her as I can take. She giggles so much. Sure is cute, though!

EZMONEY
01-25-2006, 06:28 PM
I "discovered" Rachael Ray about a month before Christmas. While I was channel surfing, I noticed a plate of food that looked interesting and stopped to watch. I had never watched the cooking channel before ~~ fell in :love:love:love: with Rachael Ray! My wife and kids gave me two of her cookbooks for Christmas. We have tried several of her recipes. I can see how some folks would find her quite annoying! i mean how many EVOO'S can one take in 30 minutes:shrug: Still, all in all, our family finds her refreshing.
We also like Giada De Laurentiis....me, a little more than my wife;) . We have tried a couple of her dishes and were pleased also.

Now ~~ HOW GOOD IS THAT?!;)

DEZINERJEN
01-26-2006, 11:19 PM
So maybe not my real hero, but my boyfriend and I love her (my bf likes her more so because she's so cute) I also love The Secret Life of... and Unwrapped and any of the Challenges they have. I had no idea there even was a Calorie Counting show, or any diet show for that matter on Food Network. Semi Homemade confuses me because that woman is always making cocktails and that's not really cooking.
But I think I like Food Network so much is because I analyze their kitchens and make mental notes. ( I'm an Interior Designer by trade, and Kitchen designs are my favorite!) I also love Iron Chef because it's always so dramatic!

StraitLover
01-27-2006, 05:07 PM
I LOVE Jim O'Connor on The Secret Life of ... Seriously, I love him! If he ever gets divorced, I'm marrying him! :)

I like Juan Carlos on Calorie Commando. In case you don't know, he was on the first edition of the Discovery Health Body Challenge (when it was a competition; he didn't win). That's how he lost his weight. He sort of alludes to it in the opening of his show, but since it was on another network, I guess he can't say the name. He was a big dude!!!

Suzanne 3FC
01-27-2006, 05:15 PM
I loved him on the Body Challenge! Do you remember when he tried to sabotage his competitors by bringing them trays of pastries? :lol: He did very well. I loved the Body Challenge, and thought it was MILES ahead of the Biggest Loser on many levels. But that's another thread :p

canadian*girl
01-28-2006, 04:29 PM
i love cooking shows as well.

i love practically all of them. there's only a few i'm not into. i don't like emeril and i got tired of iron chef pretty fast. for the canadians: christine cushing just doesn't do anything for me at all. can't stand her. & rachel ray can be ANNOYING but she does make some very good recipes.

jamie oliver, barefoot contessa, chef at large, chef at home (i love that man), everyday eats, good eats, i love them all.:D

StraitLover
01-31-2006, 05:11 PM
I loved him on the Body Challenge! Do you remember when he tried to sabotage his competitors by bringing them trays of pastries? :lol: He did very well. I loved the Body Challenge, and thought it was MILES ahead of the Biggest Loser on many levels. But that's another thread :p

Yes, he was a very sneaky dude! I wish they would replay all the old Challenges, even the celebrity one! I see where Chris Knight has kept off the weight he lost (and lost more) but Susan Olsen does not look like she did.

Lainey2
01-31-2006, 05:21 PM
My favorite Food Network shows are Everyday Italian, Paula's Home Cooking, and Barefoot Contessa. I love those shows! And I like to print out their recipes and try them at home. I must say, all of them "work" and come out tasting yummy. With Paula's, I sometimes have to "thin" the recipe out a bit! hahaha....love her and her sons.

The thing I do NOT like about Rachel Ray, is she refers to alot of things she cooks as "healthy", in a very offhand way. Alot of times it's food she's preparing with butter, bacon, or lots of cheese! I have no problem with her cooking those things, but it is highly irresponsible to call them "healthy", esp. if some watching might have cholesterol issues! At least Paula tells it like it is!

I don't like the semi-homemade show either! What about those tablescapes??? They are so complicated, any time saved on cooking, will be taken up glueing, cutting, and arranging! hahahahah.....

Sorry for the rant, but those two shows kill me! What do you guys find funny about the cooking shows?

maegdaeien
01-31-2006, 10:05 PM
I just love Michael Chiarello's wine-bottle-shaped pepper mill! And everything he makes looks incredible (so, I might add, does he :love:). Paula Dean is so soothing; she makes you wish you could stop by her house to hang out.

NemesisClaws
01-31-2006, 10:24 PM
Semi-Homemade: keep in mind this woman probably has a staff that does it all for her....if not, she's got wayyyyyyyy too much time on her hands! :lol: I don't really get into her show because I don't really like most of what she cooks, or doesn't cook. Plus, I'm starting to wonder if this woman has a drinking problem or something....

Iron Chef America: very amusing to watch because they usually make something in the ice cream maker that you just know is not gonna taste good!

Rachael Ray: Very perky, but geesh this woman talks too much! Take a breathing class! I like some of her recipes from time to time. However, her cookbooks turn me off cold. I have the hardest time trying to get into her cookbooks. I think it's the layout/design aspect of it that bothers me so bad. One big gripe I do have is that she has this tasty travels show, and some other show on the network. I never watch them simply because watching her go eat and then rave about everything, and mind you, not ONCE have I heard her say "holy moly, this tastes like the hind end of a donkey!"...thus I don't really believe anything she says overly much.

Paula Deen: Love this woman.....too much butter, but love her....

Michael Chiarello: has some interesting recipes from time to time. But he's a bit full of himself, so that's a big turnoff for me. Plus, does everything have to be for a party event??? I don't think I've ever seen him have a party that didn't involve high class society yet.

Giada (Everyday Italian): I'm really starting to get into her shows now. I didn't use to before. She gives me so many good ideas when it comes to pasta, and you're talking to a girl who never had pasta without meat in it in her entire life! My only complaint is that I wish she would branch out a bit more in her cooking. It seems to be the same variation with different ingredients lately. Still, I have to thank this woman for hooking me up with biscottis! YUM!

Alton Brown: mildy amusing....informative at times...but sheesh, does this man ever make a simple dish without it being so complicated in the execution??

Calorie Commando: he has some interesting dishes from time to time, but doesn't get enough airplay. Also, his dishes are very hard to double up at times because of his shortcuts.

Molto Mario: I thought this guy was Irish at first. Must've been that red hair. :dizzy: I've yet to see a dish from him that I want to make. But boy, he sure does inspire one to travel to Italy!

Barefoot Contessa: love, love, LOVE this woman's wallpaper! I also love the general, overall design of her kitchen! So efficient! One thing that does bug me is that they show her going to these specialty stores that just has the freshest ingredient possible, this fish store right next door, etc...Yeah, let's get back into the real world of Krogers and Walmart, shall we?

Chestnutlass
02-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I am addicted to the food network! I love almost everything!

However some of thier personalities need changing! Giada is a little toooo over the top and so is Rachel (how many shows is she on anyway!)

Semi homemade is the most annoying (WHO MATCHES THIER OUTFIT TO THIER KITCHEN BASED ON THE FOOD THEY ARE MAKING!! THEME-TASTIC!!!)

Best of the bunch is by far the new guy Great Deal with Dave Lieberman! HE IS A HOTTIE!