Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/231/155

Height: 5'6

Question Maybe I need Meds?(super long)

Last edited by cookiemonster26; 03-18-2007 at 03:09 PM.
cookiemonster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #2  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I went through a similar downward spiral. At first I was just melancholy. Then I stopped cleaning my room. Then I started avoiding life and snacking on junk food.

Don't be afraid to try meds. You can always decide that they aren't for you.

Personally, I'll take meds over being unable to live my life. Maybe you won't need them for very long, or maybe you won't need them at all if you try some talk therapy. But don't be afraid to seek help!

TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

When you get that far down, it's almost impossible to will yourself to do things. Thinking that things would just be better if.....doesn't work. Definately seek help. Bring up both options. They will let you know their opinion. It's a scary first step. I actually went in thinking I was tired. That was my chief complaint. I wasn't tired, I was bipolar. I just didn't recognize things on my own because I'm used to being strong.

For future reference, don't let depression own you but don't let it be your crutch either.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/231/155

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the replies I try not to let it be my crutch, but it does seem like I sort of fall back on it sometimes, especially now that other parts of my life are shaping up again.
cookiemonster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 01:30 PM   #5  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I can't help but wonder at the first doctor you saw. She seems pretty bad! She seems to focus on money a bit too much. I don't know in what order you'd do it in, but I know some HMOs (like mine) provide therapy at a more cost effective price. You also don't have to accept the first person you talk to. Don't be afraid to "shop around" for a doctor, you need someone who you can really make a connection with. I think establishing a relationship with a doctor is more important than the meds question. If once you find someone you like who thinks you should take meds, you will know whether or not to trust in their decision. I know how easy it is to get stuck in the house, and really, there is no easy way to will yourself to do it. Getting a job might help in that you are obligated to leave, and get you in habits that are better, but I don't know if that is the ultimate solution. Walking the dog is definitely a start, and once you've made that a concrete habit that will help. Also, as a thought, I couldn't imagine working at an animal shelter. The idea of having to watch all those poor animals suffering, and so many of them being euthanized makes me sad. I don't know if it was bad for you, but maybe you need a kind of job or kind of work environment that is much more positive. I hope you find someone who you can talk to about all this, and we are always here for your support. Good luck, you will persevere I know it
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #6  

Sounds like my spiral down last summer. In August, I went on anti-depressents for the first time in my life. And it saved my life.

I agree that the right chemistry with your therapist is crucial and DO shop for the right doctor. It really does make all the difference.

(())s

Depression is a dark, dark place but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Whether you need meds to get there is something for your doctor to decide.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote