100 lb. Club - This is so disgusting to me...

View Full Version : This is so disgusting to me...

Venus In Mourning
01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
This is so embarrassing, but I was wondering about if anyone else has to deal with this. Everyone's body does different things when it gains weight and everyone carries their weight differently. My weight goes to my stomach and it's almost like I have two bellies. I have a belly above my belly button and I have an even worse belly below it. When I tone my abdominals, the upper part of my belly starts to show results, but then I have my lower hangy belly that does absolutely nothing. What do I do? I'm so frustrated I could cry.

srmb60
01-24-2006, 03:13 PM
What about a double bum? I had one in back and one in front, under my belly button. As the fat leaves, so does it.

cinnamonspice
01-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Venus, Sweetie the important thing is that you are trying to do something about it. I have had 2 babies, dont get me started on my pasty white skin with the blue-purple stretch marks on my belly. You will see results, and so will I. We just have to hang in there and keep working for it. I have faith that you can do it. :hug:

Scrappy Chick
01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
You are definitely NOT alone. I have the same "double tummy" going on and it is horrible. I have no idea where my waist is anymore! But as I am losing weight, I can tell that it is already feeling a little smaller. Just take one day at a time and you will eventually see and feel the progress! Good luck!

Sara

Venus In Mourning
01-24-2006, 03:25 PM
As the fat disappears, it will too? Do you think I should be doing more cardio to burn it off? I do more toning than cardio, so my stomach is getting tighter, but there is still way too much fat on top of the muscle. Is there even such a thing as cardio for the stomach fat?

srmb60
01-24-2006, 03:29 PM
I've seen no conclusive proof that there is any advantage to doing either cardio or weights over doing one before the other. Any muscle you build will help burn calories as you do your cardio. Do both. Helps with the boredom factor.
What kind of increased activity do you like?

suzisonthemovetolose
01-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Venus - I know what you mean! I have a very nasty double tummy, too. I call my bottom tummy my "babycatcher." It looks so weird. My top tummy has shrunk a tad, but the bottom tummy is still quite large.

I hate being 24 with two huge tummies!

I really hope it goes away - else my hopes of looking fabulous in a bikini will be for nothing! :)

Keep working!!

PinkyPie
01-24-2006, 03:53 PM
As a former Weight Watcher who reached her goal a few years ago (not there anymore now, but that's another story), I can honestly say I too have a double belly... mine at my goal weight of 150 lbs (I am 5'5") was smaller but still a little bit of a "pot" if you know what I mean?

It's frustrating when you are not quite there yet, but just keep going and it WILL at least become smaller and less "double" like and it might just tighten up completely and disappear!

cagirlygirl
01-24-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi all,

I'm a belly girl, myself. Now that I'm getting closer to a normal bmi, both ;) of my bellies are definitely changing. The top part is pretty much gone now, though there is still some padding over the muscle that needs to go away...

Even the bottom part - my arch nemesis, has shrunken considerably. I was hoping it would be mostly gone by now, but it's hanging on a bit longer.

From what I've read around here, the only way to get rid of it is to lose the fat - which means more cardio. Toning the muscle underneath will help things look good when you're done though.

Hang in there!!

cheers! :hat:
paula

DNR
01-24-2006, 03:58 PM
I have heard more than once that a woman's tummy is the hardest thing to get rid of - no matter how good the rest is shaping up, the tummy is the last and hardest. So, I'd say keep on doing what you are doing and you are bound to get results.

The thing I'm most worried about is when the fat is gone there, will I have skin hanging to my knees? When you get as old as me, things don't bounce back as easy as they do when you are young. :D

DNR

frenchiepolarbear
01-24-2006, 04:05 PM
The way i carry my weight can be very misleading.

I’m 6 feet tall. I have a long body, but relatively short legs. The result is that I do not look as heavy as I really am.

Approx 3 years ago I did not weight myself regularly. However I knew I had a few extra. I estimated my weight at that time around 270-280. I went for a routine check at doctor’s office and when I stepped on the scale it topped off at 335 pounds.

I was devastated, so was my doctor who did not think it was that bad.

I lost a lot since then; but the illusion remains. I am around 250; but my friends do not believe me. They think I am around 200-210….

kykaree
01-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I have top tummy and bottom tummy! Top tummy is changing all the time, and sometimes is quite firm and looks good, and other times it seems to borrow from bottom tummy!!! Don't stress and just let the fat come off, it will happen. My stomach still looks pretty gross, but nothing a good pair of supportive knickers can't sort out!

Any cardio will burn fat. I do abs and core work mainly for strength reasons. If that helps my tummy appearance, all the better, but it's functionality that I am most concerned with at this stage.

wildlifebio
01-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I have the double tummy thing too! One thing that I have noticed as I have lost weight - both of my tummies are getting smaller, however, I think that the top tummy is getting smaller quicker than the bottom one.
Also - I have always heard that doing low carb will help you lose your tummy. I am on my second week of South Beach and I can tell the weight I have lost is mostly from my stomach - which is great. Anyway, it is something to think about, I don't know if it is that way for everyone, but it seems to be helping my stomach!

shrinkingchica
01-24-2006, 04:25 PM
I have that darn double tummy as well! :tantrum: I am still waiting for that sucker to go away...:mad:

Kamily828
01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I have the double tummy too. I cant wait to get rid of both.

Nori71
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Oh, for the days of just having a little "pooch"!!!!!! We'll get there again! I don't carry the bulk of my weight in my belly (you should see my behind;) ), but now after my second baby in 17 months, I've got the double tummy thing happening...with the built-in boppy on top of it all!:dizzy:

Scrappy Chick
01-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh, for the days of just having a little "pooch"!!!!!! We'll get there again! I don't carry the bulk of my weight in my belly (you should see my behind;) ), but now after my second baby in 17 months, I've got the double tummy thing happening...with the built-in boppy on top of it all!:dizzy:

ROFL! A "built-in boppy"! It is so funny because it is so TRUE! Thanks for the chuckle. :lol:

Sara

Venus In Mourning
01-24-2006, 05:18 PM
I've seen no conclusive proof that there is any advantage to doing either cardio or weights over doing one before the other. Any muscle you build will help burn calories as you do your cardio. Do both. Helps with the boredom factor.
What kind of increased activity do you like?

I like walking, but my endurance is horrible. I only like walking with my dogs, but it's way too cold outside for any of us. I get so tired and bored with cardio videos that I just can't keep up with. I do like weights because I can actually feel the muscles working and it gives me the thought that something is happening.

Thanks everyone for suggestions and letting me know I am NOT the only one! Let's all keep working hard to lose ALL our tummies! :carrot:

Scrappy Chick
01-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Have you thought about circuit training? Places like Curves or Contours are great because you can do weights and cardio at the same time, plus they change things up often enough that you don't get bored.

Sara

Venus In Mourning
01-24-2006, 05:24 PM
I've actually been looking into Curves. I wonder how much it costs to join? I'm broke, so I can't afford much right now.

Heva2015
01-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Yeah me too...me and my sister refer to them as our first and second tummies

stacylambert
01-24-2006, 06:36 PM
I have the double tummy too. However as I've been losing weight the bottom one is shrinking much faster than the top. I would prefer the other weigh around. I hate having a roll over my waist band when I sit down. The strange thing is that I am a pear and and have a .7 waist/hip ratio so I would have guessed the top would have been no problem to get rid of. I guess my body is just confused :dizzy:

synger
01-24-2006, 09:50 PM
That apron of skin and fat is called a pannus. It is fat uncontained by muscle. That's why when you exercise your abs, it doesn't really seem to affect that lower bit. There's no muscle there to exercise. There is no exercise that will specifically target this spot of fat or that. Your body will lose fat usually in the reverse way it gained it, and you must lose fat all over your body rather than only in one spot. Exercises that target one part or another will build healthy muscle under the fat, but fat loss itself cannot be targetted to one spot or another.

My pannus is disgusting. It's probably the main reason I've gotten back into the healthy lifestyle thing again. Looking sideways in the mirror and seeing that drooping, flabby thing makes me ill. I was always heavy, but I didn't develop a pannus until I got pregnant. And now, after a c-section, I'll probably always have one of some size even when I get down to a normal weight. And that pannus... that "apron" of fat that hangs down... is the bane of my existance. I hate lifting it up above the counter so I can get that extra two inches of reach to put dishes on the high shelf.

However, even though I hate it, I am learning to accept it. It's not easy, but one of my mental exercises is to get to know my body again. I've gone so long looking only at my face in the mirror. I refuse to ignore the rest of me any more. So when I dry-brush my skin, I spend time on my belly. After a shower, instead of just lotioning my lower legs (which feel nice and muscular), I do my arms, and belly, and butt, and thighs as well. Touching those fat parts of my body, in a mindful manner, is something I have avoided for years.

And I know, in my heart of hearts, that I am getting healthier. I am losing fat slowly but surely. I am getting more exercise and growing in strength and stamina and flexibility. All of that will affect all of my body. Including the dreaded pannus. And one day, in a couple of years (one pound a week), my pannus will be just a little pooch rather than a hanging, droopy, nasty apron.

Nori71
01-24-2006, 10:24 PM
And one day, in a couple of years (one pound a week), my pannus will be just a little pooch rather than a hanging, droopy, nasty apron.
LOVE HOW YOU PUT IT!!!:)

P.S. I clearly remember the first time I heard a lady talking about her pannus, I must say I was rather confused.

SwimGirl
01-24-2006, 11:00 PM
I don't know if I have the same thing... I have these little shorts that suck it ALL in!! Makes muh bellies look all cellulite free and flatter... something to try, if you can get used to wearing it!

-Aimee

jillybean720
01-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Do not be embarassed--we all understand! I ABSOLUTELY have the double belly! I have the part that hangs over my pants on top and the part that hangs down to my thighs on the bottom. Nasty stuff! I know my bottom (pannus?) will never go away completely due to scar tissue (sliced vertically from the belly button down for surgery to remove a 10-inch ovarian cyst when I was 16). However, the GOOD news (from my understanding) is that you said the top part is shrinking faster--that's the more unhealthy fat to have, and losing that is much better for your heart, so yay!

Gardenwife
01-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Jill, I had the same surgery in 1992, when I was 24 and just married. I hear you about the abdominal incision. I've got the belly thing going on still, too. Don't you wish low-rise jeans weren't all the rage? I love boot cut pants, but that low waistline....Ugh.

So, it's called the pannus, eh? I never knew there was a name for it.

srmb60
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Here's a thread about excess skin ..... http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040

Smilla
01-25-2006, 03:52 PM

Venus In Mourning
01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I know I will always have at least a little bit of a belly, and I don't mind that... just as long it's only ONE belly. :lol: I can't wait till I can look in the mirror and have a waist again.

Jenniffer
01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Pannus?!? You have to laugh your *** off at that one. Hahahaha. I hate mine, hate it, hate it, hate it. Disgusting.

Venus..I joined Curves the other night, it's perfect for me..AND MEMBERSHIP IS 50% OFF RIGHT NOW. Still costed $113 to join but that covers the 1st month too. Next month I will pay $39 for the month.

RedMama
01-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Yeah I have the two tummies, too. I hate them! The top tummy looks hideous popping out under my shirts making me look prego again. I get tired of being asked if I'm expecting.
The bottom belly-I won't even go into it. Let's just say a csection did not help matters at all. Can't wait for these things to deflate a bit.

Venus In Mourning
01-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Great! The price of Curves sounds good to me. Thanks so much!

goalnorolls
01-26-2006, 09:38 PM
I have it too. If it won't go away then I will get a tummy tuck- with my boob lift. Its my right for carrying my two wonderful sons :)

edited to add: I had 2 csections and the second one made it much worse!

newfiedarling
01-27-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm a multiple tummy person as well. I have the bottom apron and the tummy above too. My upper tummy looks more like 2 because there is a very definate and pronouned indentation in the center. So I have the bottom, top right and top left tummies. You're right it's pretty gross. I have noticed they are shrinking significantly, the top faster than the bottom though.

~Dee

Tammy32
01-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I've got the hanging skin at the bottom of my stomach area...Yuck!! I have shapely legs and I have to by a size in pants to fit my waste but don't fit my legs. They swallow up my legs. Hate that!! Kind of zaps me when I can't buy clothes that look well on me because of my belly.

I can handle my flabby arms..I can handle inner thigh loose skin, but I can't handle my big gut! Tummy Tuck, Tummy Tuck...Just the thought of having a real waste makes me giddy. :) Hang in there.

Venus In Mourning
01-27-2006, 01:36 PM
My Mom doesn't know I am dieting and trying to lose weight and she took one look at me today and said, "Sarah, you look like you lost 10 pounds." I said, "Really!?! From my thighs?" and she said, "No, from your stomach." :carrot: Yay!

Schatzi
01-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Venus, darlin, as ya can see you have Alot of company!!! Have you tried posting in the Exercise room? Maybe they can add their words of wisdom and some exercises to help you?
Hugs!!!

boiaby
01-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Mine is exactly how Dee described, and believe me, it ain't pretty! I'm still holding out hope that 1. Arkansas will instate a lottery, 2. that I will miraculously win it, and 3. that it will be enough to get all this nasty, droopy skin removed and say good riddance to it once and for all! Cause I believe that's the only way I'll ever be able to get this tummy tucked. Let's just say I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one!:D But oh well, thank goodness for clothes and the fact that we aren't all living in nudist colonies!:p

Beverly

Tammy32
01-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Oh, I just had to add one more thing. I sit here and smile about it, because I have come to accept that I have a droopy belly. Anyways, if I don't wear a girdle(sp) and some heavy duty spandex, You can hear my tummy make flapping noises when I attempt to jog on the treadmill. Oh and ewwww....sweatiness. Now that's pretty nasty. I don't mean to be gross, and I am by no means a dirty person, but when the overlapping skin gets sweaty it's not a very pleasant scent. I've had skin infections also. And these are the days of our lives. :)

Beverly, I grew up in Arkansas. You ever think they will get a lottery? I remeber one year they tried to pass it and even gave incentive to pay for people's college degrees and give money to the schools and still it did not pass. Guess cause it's definately the bible belt. I've still got about 50 more pounds to go and I'm cringing at the thought of knowing how bad my belly is now plus adding the additional skin I will have when I lose the rest of my weight. *gasp* *eyes bugging out of my head* :)

Charles78
01-28-2006, 05:01 AM
.... If you think your pannus is bad... :?:

Just so you don't think it is just a girl thing, I have to admit at 46 and having been morbidly obese for 27 years I too have the much dreaded pannus. LOL I found out they even have a "grading" system for them. The horror of it all.

Abdominal Pannus Grading System
After massive weight loss, an abdominal apron (panniculus or pannus) is graded according to its size and extent. The higher the grade, the more extensive the body contouring operation and the greater the potential for complications.

Grade 1 — Pannus reaches pubic hairline but not the genitalia
Grade 2 — Pannus reaches upper thigh crease
Grade 3 — Pannus reaches upper thigh
Grade 4 — Pannus reaches mid thigh
Grade 5 — Pannus reaches kneesLucky me, I have a grade 3 after having lost almost 300 pounds. No amount of exercise is going to shrink that much skin - not at my age and not that amount. It is just not going to happen. Once I have reached, then maintained my goal weight for a year, I will try and have surgery to remove the dreaded pannus. Until then, about all you can do is wear some type of support to minimize the problem.

boiaby
01-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Beverly, I grew up in Arkansas. You ever think they will get a lottery? I remeber one year they tried to pass it and even gave incentive to pay for people's college degrees and give money to the schools and still it did not pass. Guess cause it's definately the bible belt. I've still got about 50 more pounds to go and I'm cringing at the thought of knowing how bad my belly is now plus adding the additional skin I will have when I lose the rest of my weight. *gasp* *eyes bugging out of my head*

You know what's funny Tammy? I grew up in CA, the Bay Area to be exact! No, I don't think we'll ever get a lottery, heck, where I live you can't even buy a bottle of wine as it's a "dry" county, and would need to drive 30 minutes in either direction if the desire for a glass ever hit me. Calling it the "Bible Belt" is an understatement, this place and the people who so obviously call the shots, never cease to amaze me.:dizzy:

Thanks for the info on Pannus grading Charles, I had no idea that it was broken down like this. I do hope you'll be able to have yours removed at some point, I totally understand what a hindrance it must surely be.

Beverly

Miaka
01-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Although spot reduction is a myth, there are exercises that help tone the lower abs.
Lie on your back and rise up your arm above your head to hold on to something, raise you legs from the need, and then slowly lower as you stretch out your legs. After a few of these you should start to feel it in your lower stomach.

MlleOdile
01-28-2006, 07:57 AM
Charles - now that I've read the grading, I'll never be able to look at mine the same..LOL Something else to measure. I am new to this site and your story is simply amazing, and very inspiring...

Tammy32
01-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Beverly, I did some of my college in Jonesboro and it was a dry county. We had to drive to, I think it was called, Harriburg to obtain spirits. Just kind of funny when you see all kinds of college kids making the county line run. :)

Charles, to funny, once I read your post I had to stand up and check out what grade I am. I'm only a grade 1. So, in the grand scheme of things I should be a happy camper. That grade will probably change some once I lose the rest of my weight though. Having kids and never losing my belly weight when I was young really did me in. It set me up for more saggy stomach with my weight loss.

I've had my personal trainer just outright tell me that with my age and amount of loose skin (which is not to bad now I see) that excercising til the cows come home is not going to help it.

Since it is not very possible I will ever be able to have surgery I'm on a never-ending quest to find things to hold that thing in. :)

synger
01-28-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure if I'm a grade 2 or 3. Mine definitely reaches the thigh crease. But I'm not sure where they start measuring "the thigh". I think of the thigh as starting at the thigh crease... so they'd be the same. If by "the thigh" they mean just after the crease, I'm a grade 3. If by "the thigh" they mean the thickest part of the leg, which is where I take "thigh" measurements, then I'm a grade 2.

Tammy32
01-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Yeah, the thigh thing is confusing. I have fat hanging over the crease of the thigh yet my gut does not hang down over the pubic area..Maybe just a little bit, but certainly does not cover. So, I guess it is debatable to say I'm either a high 1 or a low 2. Hehe..Love the way we analyze things. :)

howie6267
01-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Well I have it too. I also have the upper and lower thing going on. However a nice bonus to my back surgery is that it has almost made the upper stomach disappear. So with a little work I'm sure it will be gone. That is the one that was really bothering me because it's the one that sticks out over my pants. The lower gets pretty well hid within my pants but it's still there. I would say it's somewhere in between a 2 and 3 grade. I will just learn to live with it. Even if I could afford the surgery I don't think I would have it. After having back surgery twice I just don't think I would want to opt for another one. This whole journey is not about looks anyway. I want to be healthy. The nicer looks are good but not the main goal.

Nori71
01-28-2006, 03:46 PM
The grade scale is after you've lost all your fat so I cannot give myself a grade yet! My lower roll doesn't "hang" so much - it sticks out - it's more like a fat roll or a mound - and because of the fat under the skin right now it doesn't touch my pubic area. But I'm sure that after I lose the fat/weight and it's just the skin, it will "hang".

SuchAPrettyFace
01-28-2006, 07:47 PM
I have it too!!!

Right now, I'm about a grade 2 or 3, but I will say this--when I weighed 280 I did notice that it was a grade 1, definitely. :) So that is something to look forward to.

Thank you to everyone who posted all the great info on here!

Someone who's had it lifted should post here next, so we get info from all sides. I doubt I ever will, but never say never.

Venus In Mourning
01-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I think mine is a 2. I hope I can get it down to a 1 by my wedding. :dizzy:

pixiefalls
01-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Augh, I so know what you mean it's not even funny! My "bottom" stomach has shrunk about the same as much as my "top" one.. yes! But they are still noticable.. of course.. but also noticably smaller.