Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:01 AM   #1  

Wink When is my most reliable weight-taking time?

I find that weighing myself in the morning makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. It might not be the most accurate time, though, because it always increases a bit later on. Which time of day offers a truer picture of actual weight loss/gain? I know it's not necessary or helpful to weigh oneself every day, but since I'm no longer allowed buckets of ice cream, I require some sort of gratification.

But, is there a scientific answer to this?

(This morning, anyway)
Old 01-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #2  
Who needs sleep?

I weigh in the morning. I want to know how much *I* weigh - not my breakfast or lunch, let alone all that tea and water and so on!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #3  

Hi Sunlit...hmmmm well I tried to Google fer the info...It seems most sites recommend you weigh yourself once a week, the same time and the same "conditions" (like if you were nekkid..weigh yerself nekkid and not with combat boots on next time. "lol") Some even go so far as say once a month.
I usually weigh myself once or twice a week, and picked Wednesday as my official weigh in day. I weigh myself in the morning before cawfee and after pee pee.. hee hee.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #4  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

I agree weigh yourself in the morning because all the crap isn't in you! and your at that same state every morning so it actually is pretty accurate all the food water and stuff you put into your body through-out the day tends to get heavy and so you will weigh more! I highly recomend morning weigh in's without clothing after your potty! this is just my opinion! - Kim
Old 01-24-2006, 10:34 AM   #5  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

I also weigh-in in the morning after I "go" and before I eat anything, and always make sure I am wearing the same kind of thing (PJs and no shoes). Officially I weigh-in on Saturdays but sometimes I'll take a peek mid-week just to see how I'm doing.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #6  

Thanks to all for the comments. I am going to try and get away from weighing every morning. Maybe I'll put the scale up in the attic, which is two flights up or in the basement, which has scary stairs, and only make the trek once a week.
But it will still be in the morning!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/145/143

Height: 5ft 6

I had a similar question, cause I wasn't sure if it was "cheating," to weigh in the morning considering you weigh less... I as well am trying to get around weighing every day but my thought is that as my diet becomes more of a lifestyle the urge will deminish? Maybe I'm naive? I don't have a scale at home which helps so that I only weigh myself at the gym (but since I've been going regularly it turns into an every day or an every other day habit). My official weigh-in though is going to involve the body fat analysis scale at the gym cause I'm more concerned with how much fat I am losing... so I can weigh myself (for now) as much as I want on the normal scale, but the other only once a week?

Sarah
Old 01-24-2006, 07:15 PM   #8  

I have to say i weigh myself every day in the morning naked but I have been totally screwing up lately
Old 01-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #9  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

I do the first thing in the morning too. And of course it's fun in phase 1, so every day I run in and strip down. Although today was the first day with no change, boooo. I assume I'll settle down with the constant weigh ins come phase 2
Old 01-25-2006, 11:34 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunLit
I know it's not necessary or helpful to weigh oneself every day, but since I'm no longer allowed buckets of ice cream, I require some sort of gratification.
SunLit, I like the way you think, girl! That's my frame of mind too!

Morning is the best time, because, like H-Ko says, it gives you the most accurate (as accurate as you can get with a scale, which isn't much...) picture of what you weigh, not your food or your water retention, etc.

That said, anyone worth their salt will tell you that weighing is a pretty much innaccurate and unscientific gauge of weight loss. Your best bet is to rely on measuring yourself with a tape measure (about the easiest thing you can do on your own) and getting your fat percentage measured by someone using calipers who is trained and knows what they are doing. That will give you the best picture. Of course, how your clothes fit can be a good indicator too, but if you lose quickly, you tend to move out of a set of clothes pretty fast and it's hard to use them as indicators.

Like you, I require the instant gratification of the scale, but I take it with a grain of salt. I don't let a high number stress me out nor do I have a huge party over a big drop. I know it can switch around by the next day. I keep a log of my weight using a great excel worksheet that someone on here gave me...not only does it tell me my BMI, but it also predicts when I'll make goal by looking at my last three weekly weigh ins. There are tons of things like that online too, though I'm sure that whoever shared this with me would be glad to share with you too, if they're around. (Barb, was it you? ) Try to look at your weight as a weekly thing rather than a daily one...keep in mind that your water retention, period, uhm, 'regularity' , and other factors can considerably influence the number on the scale, even if you weigh in the morning in the same place with no clothes on while doing the Mountain pose and humming "Ohmmmmmmmm".

to a fellow 'scale ho' (Jenn's great term!)!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #11  

Laurie - I know what spreadsheet you mean. I use it too. I just check my old PMs and it was sweet tooth who originated it. She sent it to me via email.
Closed Thread