Old 01-22-2006, 04:56 PM   #1  

Default Scale

I am looking for any recommendations. I currently have a digital Health-O-Meter but I know it's on its last legs. I am at the point where I have to get the same weight 3 times in a row to insure accuracy. I have been saying I would buy a new scale since Jan 1st. I'm scared. I want accuracy to the nth degree but too afraid to find out my current scale is wrong. Anyways I have been thinking about the brand new Weight Watchers scale. Anyone own one? Thanks.
72butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:39 PM   #2  
Not giving up!!

S/C/G: 323/200/175

Height: 5'8

I have a weight watchers digital scale! I got at wal-Mart of 25 bucks! I really like it!
~~Sunshine~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #3  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

I have a Tanita scale....it is super acurate to the 10th of a pound. For example, I was 282.3 pounds this morning. It also measures body fat. That was the reason I spent the extra money. I am very happy with it.

Happy scale shopping!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #4  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I have a Taylor (from Wal-Mart in Canada) it measures body fat and body water percentage. I really like it. It is accurate to .2 of a pound and I do get the same number three times in a row (I need that too ) However...I do NOT like the number I see lately

Very happy with it.

Linda
(I can look up the model # if you'd like, just PM me if you do.)
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:02 PM   #5  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

I have the weight watchers scale (glass and chrome). I got it off amazon but can't remember for how much. It measures to a tenth of a pound and I find it to be very accurate.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 07:29 AM   #6  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Anyone know if buying them and having them shipped can cause the scale to get out of whack? Someone told me this once I wasn't sure if their scale got oout of whack or they did since scales have to go through a lot handking right?????
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:36 PM   #7  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I know this is an old thread, but I'm thinking about buying a new scale. What did you end up buying, 72butterfly? I have a Taylor Lithium one that I bought at Target a few years ago. It bugs me to no end that I get different readings over and over again within seconds. Only 1 pound or so, but you have to take the higher weight once you see it, kwim! (I wonder if it has to do with my huge feet not fitting on the sensors? My toes or heels hang off the edges.) This sounds fairly normal on digital scales??? Plus when I weigh at my Mom's I'm always 3 pounds less than on mine and when I weighed at the gym the other day it was 11 pounds lower than mine - obviously that one's broken!! I also had on my shoes!

It seems so many of the reviews I read for scales are just so-so to bad. For digital and mechanical alike. I've been looking at this Prevention test: http://www.prevention.com/pdf/bathroom_scales.pdf. I'm thinking about getting just a large dial one with the rack-and-pinion mechanism. They are so big though. What about ones that measure body fat... If you have one, can you check in here and let me know how you like it.

Last edited by Nori71; 03-10-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:15 PM   #8  
No description available.

I'd say just weigh yourself at your mom's or at the gym.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #9  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I have a DemeTech scale. It is the type of scale you find at a doctor's office. It has the dual sliding balance weights and measures just weight and height.

This past Wednesday (March 8), I weighed myself in the morning before heading off to a doctor's appointment. I was weighed at the doctor's office. Her scale and mine were within a half pound of each other. I attribute the difference to the fact that on her scale I was fully clothed and had a full bladder.

Given that, I'd say the DemeTech is extremely accurate. I'm very, very pleased with the purchase.

I ordered it online and paid about $160 including shipping. It requires a little assembly, no tools required. I was easily able to assemble it in about 15 minutes (hardest part was getting it upstairs and out of the box).

I recommend it highly.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:29 PM   #10  
Embracing My New Normal

Oh, yes, because it uses the balance method, you can hop on and off several times in a row and get the same reading. Not necessarily true with needle scales. Or with digital, from what I've been told.

Just another thing to keep in mind.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:50 PM   #11  

I weigh at the gym at work, which is built over a canal, with a balcony, how many times have I threatened to throw the darned thing through the window and into the water???

I couldn't live with scales in the house!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:00 PM   #12  
One life, live it well

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
I'd say just weigh yourself at your mom's or at the gym.
I know!! It was pretty exciting to see it say 228 with tennis shoes on!! But...

Lena - I'm glad you like your scale. I know those are the most accurate type of scales, but I don't have the space for it.

My scale isn't all that bad. Maybe I should just stick with it. It usually only changes by a pound or at the most 2 the second and third times I get on.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #13  
One life, live it well

I think the root of this is that I just want to see a change on my scale. It's been stuck at 239 for about 9 days now! (So, I think a new scale would show different results?!!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
I weigh at the gym at work, which is built over a canal, with a balcony...
Your gym sounds so exotic!! Mine is a square building in the middle of a parking lot!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #14  
Embracing My New Normal

Hehe THAT's the scale I'd like to have. The one that always reads 135 every time I step on it, no matter what! Yeah, baby!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:32 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I bought the Tanita Large Capacity scale. http://www.scalesgalore.com/pbath.htm#hd351 It's a little pricey at $75.00, but it is hands down the very best scale I have ever owned. It stores the reading of your last weigh in and shows it. It will store readings for up to five people. I never get a different reading, at all. So now I never even look. For me it was also important that it accuratley weigh over 300 lbs. Since this baby weighs up to 440, my 320 is no where near the limit. At over 300 I really had a hard time finding and scale that would weigh me which allowed me to be in the dark alot.

I have heard GREAT things about the Tanita brand in general.

And Dolly, yep - I had it shippped to me.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote