Old 01-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #1  

Default ? I love fajitas but is it okay to cook in a skillet?

I love fajitas. I find it to be a great way to incorporate veggies and yes I know NO flour tortillas. However, my question.... Is it okay to cook in a skillet as long as you are using low cal olive oil? I do not know much about cooking, so i am open to ideas, suggestions, and any other advice. Thank you for your help!!!1

---motivated120---
motivated120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:04 PM   #2  
Meg

I've never heard of 'low-cal olive oil' - can you tell us more about it?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #3  

Default Olive Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
I've never heard of 'low-cal olive oil' - can you tell us more about it?
It really isn't all that low cal. I believe it is 60 cal per serving but i think most brands are over 100, so i guess i should have stated that it has fewer calories. I don't recall the name off hand but my dad gets it at a local little Itlay shop.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:35 PM   #4  
Meg

Wow - I'd love to find that! Wonder what a serving size is - a standard tablespoon?

In my opinion, it's OK to cook with the oil so long as you include the calories in your daily totals. If you can afford the calories, go ahead -- olive oil is an excellent healthy fat.

You also can cook in a skillet without the olive oil if you'd like -- you can spray a nonstick skillet with PAM or saute in a little broth.

Yum -- I love fajitas too!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #5  

Wow!!! That is a great suggestion about the chicken broth and the Pam. Like i said, I don't cook much, so i don't know about the tips and so on. Thanks so much.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #6  

I agree with SAm and I love them too. There's always a way to cook those foods in a healthy way cause it they are not like cooks that have been processed. There meat for goodness sakes. Not as healthy as other cuts probably but much better than eating some of the over processed foods out there and maybe even that most tv dinners - uhmmm - remember high fructose corn syrup.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #7  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by motivated120
It really isn't all that low cal. I believe it is 60 cal per serving but i think most brands are over 100, so i guess i should have stated that it has fewer calories. I don't recall the name off hand but my dad gets it at a local little Itlay shop.
You might want to compare the serving size. It's impossible to reduce the calories in oil, but some bottles may be labeled as "light olive oil" which really just refers to the color, and the serving size may be listed as 2 teaspoons instead of 1 tablespoon, which makes it appear as if it is lower calorie. It's just a trick

I use a very good nonstick skillet with only 1 teaspoon of oil when I saute veggies for fajitas. I also use chicken stock or water to saute, but it depends on what I'm cooking the veggies for, and if the flavor really needs the results provided by the oil.

I also love to smoke red bell peppers and tomatoes using either an outdoor smoker or a stovetop smoker, and use those in my veggie fajitas. They are SO good
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I use pam for most things but I find about 1tsp of a good olive oil is doable. I use Sesame oil if I am making an asian dish - again a little goes a long way.

What your dad is getting is probably a good quality oil that is better than grocery store brands. I buy my olive oil at a little Italian shop too
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:03 AM   #9  
Herbivore :)

S/C/G: 276/146/129

Height: 5'3.5

I use organic olive oil and its a 120 Calories per tablespoon...i am wondering if there are other brands with less calories????
Rubiehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 139/124/115

You can try using the light margerine if you want to get minimal calories, and use some water in place of all the oil.
anyothername is offline   Reply With Quote