Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-21-2006, 10:21 AM   #1  

Default Weight gain on depression meds

Hello:

I posted on another thread several days ago (I am a new member). I already had an ongoing weight problem, but after getting on Seroquel, I have gained an enormous amount of weight in the last three months. May or may not stay on this drug; thought it was working, ... not it seems not to be as depression is back.

As a sufferer of pretty severe depression for over 20 years, it is pretty much difficult to do anything, let alone exercise. I have heard exercise helps depression, but what if youre' so depressed you can hardly get around?
Are there any tricks you all use?

Also, how do you lose weight when you are on these meds that the DOCTOR
tells you puts weight on you, though I don't understand why the drug causes you to gain weight?

I have a question for all of you.
I have this belief that I cannot EVER lose the fat on my body. This is going to sound weird, but I can NO LONGER visualize myself in a thin body. Like, I can't picture my "after" photograph ... only a "before". Its difficult to explain, but like Im thinking even if the weight comes off, the body will LOOK the same. I know this can't be, yet I am having problems believing this.
Can anyone relate?

Thanks for reading and I would appreciate replies on any or ... ALL ... the questions I have asked.

I am feeling very overwhelmed right now.
Dreeanna
Dreeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #2  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Well, frankly, I had to go off the med that made me gain weight and try a new med.

Yeah, exercise helps with depression. If you are too depressed one day, try at least a five-minute walk. Take advantage of the good days and get a lot done then. No, that's not the regular workout that we're supposed to be getting, but it's better than nothing!

I've always been able to picture my goal weight, but I can kind of relate to you in that I never thought I could lose the weight. You will notice a difference, even if the difference is just in how your clothes fit. So even if visually you have a hard time picturing yourself as thinner, if you use an objective measure, like clothing, you know you've had some success.

Good luck!
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:53 PM   #3  

Default Hey TBJ!

Thanks so much for your comments. And congratulations on your weight loss.

So I am not alone in my feeling that I cannot picture myself losing weight, looking thin, etc!!! I wonder why this is.. I just canlt see it, But, you are right ... clothing will let me know.

For now, I really don't look past my neck in the mirror. I exercised today (30 minutes to leslie sansone tape) and I felt better. I have to find a way to do this at the same time every day ... like showering, brushing your teeth. It has to become an automatic necesssary part of my life. Boy, can I realate to what you say about "taking advantage" of the good days to get alot done. That is the story of my life. Okay, so on the bad days, I will just do whatever I can.. do less... but do something. Good point you made. I have clothing in a range of 5 or 6 sizes. Thanks again.
Dreeanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJ333
Well, frankly, I had to go off the med that made me gain weight and try a new med.

Yeah, exercise helps with depression. If you are too depressed one day, try at least a five-minute walk. Take advantage of the good days and get a lot done then. No, that's not the regular workout that we're supposed to be getting, but it's better than nothing!

I've always been able to picture my goal weight, but I can kind of relate to you in that I never thought I could lose the weight. You will notice a difference, even if the difference is just in how your clothes fit. So even if visually you have a hard time picturing yourself as thinner, if you use an objective measure, like clothing, you know you've had some success.

Good luck!
Dreeanna is offline   Reply With Quote