Weight Loss Support - What was your, Oh My Gosh I'm Huge, moment?

_MelissaLyn_
01-18-2006, 09:27 PM
My mother did a great job giving me good self esteem because I can clearly remember once catching a glimpse of myself in the glass of a bus shelter and thinking, "Man I look good today", and that was at 315# and wearing a 26/28. What was I thinking?? :dunno:

So anyway, it couldnt be but a month or two later and I saw myself in my full length mirror on a closet door that was always closed, yet this day it was wide open and for the first time I finally saw what I looked like.

I dont know what made that day so different from the rest but when I looked at myself I didnt see a pretty girl, I saw legs that were covered in cellulite, a belly that was hanging, arms that looked like if I moved them up and down I would take flight, and a face that looked like a bowling ball on a set of shoulders. Quite different from the bus shelter huh?!

That is what set me in motion... I was disgusted with what I saw and started right then to do something about it. Although it has been a hard and slow journey I stick with it. I know that I can one day become the thinner person that is inside.

Glory87
01-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Pictures were always hard to look at. My moment was sitting down in a public bathroom stall and cutting the outside of my huge outer thigh on a sharp-edged metal trash receptacle. My thighs were so big that I almost had to squeeze in to sit down - I had to face the fact I was too fat for a public bathroom stall! That was the moment, right there.

shrinkingchica
01-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I must admit that I know EXACTLY what you are talking about MelissaLyn! Many days at 272 I thought that I looked gooood, and now when I look back at photographs I am horrified to see what I actually thought looked "good." I think, though, that you can analyze this from two perspectives: 1. It is a sort of self-preservation to encourage your self-esteem and not get too, too hard on yourself, otherwise one would be in a permanent depression. And 2. Maybe when you (and others with good self-esteem) look in a mirror or at pictures, most of the time you probably aren't JUST seeing your body but your whole persona as well, thus making a good personality exude out of a flawed body to create a good image both physically and mentally (if that makes any sense!). :)

annk
01-18-2006, 09:59 PM
When I realized that I avoided any reflective surfaces like the plague and that THE BACKS OF MY KNEES were developing stretch marks! I didn't even know you could get them there! It's been a hard road, but I'm enjoying keeping those new stretch marks at bay and I look forward to the day when I don't mind seeing my own reflection!

:)

Ocean Girl
01-18-2006, 10:13 PM
I have those days every day. I hate being in the fat zone and knowing that once I've lost the weight I will be shocked at how big I "was".
I think about that and then I feel shocked at my fat self. I notice the way people look at me. I think...I was beautiful once.
I despise looking in the mirror, especially wearing my size 24 check shorts that make my hips look like a shelf.

LLV
01-18-2006, 10:23 PM
When I saw my reflection in the glass door of the enterainment center one day while sitting on the couch. I looked at my reflection and almost wanted to throw up.

Scrappy Chick
01-18-2006, 10:34 PM
When I saw pictures of myself holding my baby son. He was so tiny that it just emphasized the size that I was. I have always avoided having my picture taken, but it is kind of hard to avoid when you have a baby. Unfortunately, I was so overwhelmed with the new baby, going back to work and finding a new balance that I felt I couldn't devote any time to focusing on losing weight. As a result I ended up depressed with a deep self loathing for about a year before I finally discovered the strength to commit to finding the real me under the fat.

JennasMom
01-18-2006, 10:37 PM
I was getting out of one of those plastic lawn chairs, and the weight from myself pushing on the arms made the chair practically shatter. I have a HUGE scar on my arm from where I cut myself from it.

It was a cheap $3.99 Walgreens chair, but I knew my weight did it, and that is when I realized I was huge.

LLV
01-18-2006, 10:49 PM
My sis-in-law, who is well over 250 (probably closer to 300), can't get out of a chair or off the couch without literally 'rocking' herself up and sometimes she even needs help. It makes me sad to see her like that, but you can't talk to someone about weight loss that doesn't wanna hear it. I know, I've been there.

SilverVixen
01-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Hmm...I'd have to say my moment was last August while my husband and I were on vacation in Palm Springs. We were staying at a small resort and one evening the owners took all of the guests out for dinner. There were five couples in all, including the owners.

Well, every female there was in much better shape and weighed much much less than I did. The other women dressed in cute outfits that showed off their petite figures and I felt quite frumpy and huge compared to them.

I can identify as well about photos. There are very few times over the years that I have allowed myself to be photographed because I knew how evident my weight would be.

~Silvervixen

GreatBigMonsterMomma
01-19-2006, 02:35 AM
I've never had one. I am a reasonably attractive person, and I was attractive at 250, frankly.

This isn't about looking good, for me. It never has been. It is about health and quality of life. I have scoliosis, so all the muscles in my back are f'ed up. Makes it hard to exercise sometimes, but when I don't exercise I gain weight which makes my back hurt more which makes it hard to exercise which...You get the picture. It's a vicious circle. I had to stop it. I had to find a way to break the cycle.

Add to that the fact that the women in my family tend to be very long-lived, almost with no regard to how healthy we really are, and I have a need to be healthy. I don't have a need to be skinny. I'm never gonna be skinny, or even 'slender.' At my healthiest I am a solid size 14. I want to get back to that. I am an active person by nature, so not being able to walk much at all was to me what the 'ohmigodimfat' photo is to most people.

modemama
01-19-2006, 03:50 AM
The scale was telling me I was fatter then ever after having my second daughter. I couldn't wear much of anything I owned anymore. I hid from cameras.

It wasn't until my friend had me help out at her wedding, and took a group shot with the bride that I got a glimpse of what I'd become. :o :(

I haven't lost much since then, but I'm starting to fit into some of my clothes again. I still have a ways to go before I will start feeling attractive again, but I do give myself kudos for looking better then I did. :carrot:

Paris_n8ive_pride
01-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Mine was in the Wal-Mart dressing rooms. I found a really cute pair of pants that were a size 19. I figured they would fit. I was so so wrong. Then, taking them off. I saw all that stuff I cover up all the time. I just wish I had got motivated to do it before. I'm 14 and 232 1/2 lbs. I wear from 20-22 in womens plus sizes. So one day I will be able to wear the sexy jeans.

racegirl78
01-19-2006, 07:44 AM
It was just this fall when I was down to one pair of jeans that fit. Then one morning I had to lay on the bed to button and zip them. I had really no money left to buy anything new to wear because I had spent pretty much anything extra on Xmas.

jillybean720
01-19-2006, 07:53 AM
I never really had a moment. I have been obese pretty much my whole life. I've never known what it's like to be thin, to NOT worry about seat belts fitting around me, to NOT have to shop in plus sizes only...I want to experience life! I've already let 23 years go by hiding under these extra pounds, and I am more than ready to come out and play now :p

ejb180
01-19-2006, 07:54 AM
I think it was when none of the pictures that were taken of me were even somewhat flattering. I always look huge in them, before the lighting or outfit could have a slimming effect. Now it was no matter what I will look fat.

Alaynna
01-19-2006, 08:28 AM
I realized that I was alittle overweight, when I was looking at pictures of me 3 years ago when I was in the mid 130's lbs and I saw how skinny I was and how happy I was in a 2 piece bathing suit...I also looked at my wedding pictures from last year and I didn't like what I saw....

2frustrated
01-19-2006, 08:36 AM
I guess if I think hard, it was my group high school graduation photo. It was taken outside, with and there just happened to be a breeze as I was standing sideways and my whole dress blew back behind me exposing the lumps of my 226lb figure at the exact moment the photographer chose to snap! :doh: And of course compared to the rest of the whippet-thin high school posers I was the one that ruined the picture! I can't see how anyone in my high school can keep that picture without thinking I spoiled it.

It didn't have such a profound effect on my that I started dieting the next day, but I definitely had reached the moment when I thought I had to do something. I started making gradual changes and started going to the gym more and eventually 6 years later I'm still trying! I'm a helluva lot nearer healthy now!

Miaka
01-19-2006, 08:40 AM
My turning moment is when I saw on a recent picture I took for work ID card that my chin seem to become one with my neck.

Heather
01-19-2006, 10:20 AM
I had many many moments where I knew I was fat. A whale. Obese. In pictures I was at least 2ce the size of everyone else it seemed! But because previous weight loss efforts had resulted ultimately in weight GAINS, I accepted fatness as my lot in life.

I think had I stuck at a weight, things would have continued that way. But I kept gaining. Then last summer I fell and really bruised my tailbone. And the experience of only being able to lie on my side made me realize what I might have to look forward to as an obese person -- especially one who kept gaining! There were a number of other things that happened at that time, as well, but I decided that, at 39, I wanted to be fitter when I turned 50 than when I turn 40. And eventually, something clicked...

cinnamonspice
01-19-2006, 10:27 AM
The day I went to the doctor the last time (the one I posted about in my introduction post). I never thought that I was THAT overweight. Sure I'm a size 20, but like some here, I never thought I was THAT big, until then.

I look back at my wedding pictures when I had a small waist, collarbones, and shoulderblades. Sigh I thought I was huge then, man, just look at me now!

Darby1
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
I was walking through the clothing section at Target and looked up to see a woman who I thought wasn't wearing very flattering clothes for her size. Then I realized I was looking in a mirror! I didn't even recognize myself. Soon after that we had family pictures taken, and I thought I looked pretty good that day. We got the pictures back and there were only two I can stand to look at. Both are from the shoulders up.

MizCandula
01-19-2006, 12:04 PM
There's one that happened when I was 20 that should been an eye opener. I went to visit my friend in NC and we were at her friends house. Everyone was skinnier than me, as usual, and were playing around on my friend's friends patio. There was one of those hanging benches on the patio [you can see where this is going ;) ]. Well, me and my 110 lb friend were sitting on it and she started swinging it a little bit. All of a sudden BOOM! the thing breaks out of the ceiling and we're on the floor. My face must've turned every shade of red in the spectrum. All I could manage to do was laugh and say something like "That's why you don't let farm animals on the furniture." I always did stuff like that, tried to make fun of myself and laugh it off.

More recently, I was on a Greyhound with my fiance and I noticed that we didn't fit very well in the double together.. clearly it was my fault because he's only 146 lbs :o He didn't say anything, but I noticed.

And I think the thing that has made me do it this time was when we were in this antique store and it was so tight in there. My fiance was breezing through things and I'm praying I don't knock over some ancient piece that would cost more than what I make a year! There were mirrors all over the place and I swear that person in them wasn't me, it couldn't be me.. had I really gotten that large?? Apparently I had. :(

OBsMama
01-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Not to offend but I have a condition I like to call reverse anorexia. I think I am much skinnier than I really am. I knew I had been gaining and gaining and gaining but cleverly avoided all photographs and full length mirrors. But at the end of October I found myself ptting on my maternity pants (babe was 10 months) to feel comfortable and I was riddled with anxiety at going to and being in a friends wedding. I felt horrible the entire weekend and when the photos came back I looked like a opra star. my boobs were running over the dress, my arms were huge. I was the fat girl at the wedding. (You can see the picture in my profile) I had hit rock botttom.

So since November I have been making small changes and am down 15 pounds. I am hoping by the time that same friend tells me she is pregnant and it is time for the shower, I can go back up and stun everyone there with my amazing weight loss. I figure I may have 9-10 months. She is trying now to get pregnant.

Amanda

YP1
01-19-2006, 02:07 PM
I knew I was fat, but never quite how fat. For me it was seeing my BMI after I weighed myself for the first time in many many years. That really made me see that even though I could live with the way I looked, it really wasn't good for me to be that big.

The other thing was the thing that pushed me into getting weighed in the first place. That was realising I was deeply unfit, being overtaken by an OAP pushing a pram while doing a 1 mile run for charity. I wasn't running at the time, needless to say. So I joined a gym, where I came across the scales and the rest is history.

DimondInTheRough
01-19-2006, 02:42 PM
The day I went shopping for skirts. I had normally been waering a size 16 so I found one I loved and it just didn't fit. I had to buy a different one that I didn't like as much in a size 18. For some reason a size 18 struck me as huge. :cry:

NotTheCheat
01-19-2006, 03:19 PM
For me it was my knees - some time back in the summer my knees started hurting to the point where I could only take one stair at a time. We live up 2 flights of stairs, so every day coming home was painful for me. It finally clicked how ridiculous this was and how if I didn't do something now, sooner or later I wouldn't be able to get up those stairs at all. I don't want to be crippled - I want to experience life to the fullest of my ability.

watercolors
01-19-2006, 05:28 PM
I bought a car 2 years ago feb. . .it was cute and I loved it, then after a month or so I started to notice scratches in the paint on the body by the driver's side door. They were all at about the same place--halfway up where the door closes, and weren't deep, but there were a bunch of them.

It took another few weeks, but I realized that they were from the metal rivet on my jeans scraping the side of the car as I got out. What was happening was that I was so big I had to Push myself out of the car and kind of roll out towards the back of the car. It took momentum and strength to get my bulk out of the low seats. It was a huge Ahah! moment for me. I couldn't do a simple thing like get out of a vehicle that most people took for granted.

RAVISMOM
01-19-2006, 08:26 PM
I really started noticing when I had to keep going up in size in
pantyhose. Age 20 size B feelin good. Age 25 size D, "oh well I
just had a baby it's OK" .Age 30 the dreaded X but it's not my
fault I have a slow metabolism(yeah sure). Age 34 2X and
mortified. I still haven't lost much weight(2lbs.) but at least
I've regained control of my life and I feel some satisfaction in
that. And I'm not giving up!

Lunula
01-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Mine came when I my sister-in-law sent me a link at work to look at some pictures she'd taken and put out on Ofoto. I see all these adorable pictures of my niece & nephew and then there was one with me with my nephew... I looked enormous and since he is so small, I looked even bigger. I don't want them growing up thinking of me as the "fat aunt" !!!!

sassybrat25
01-21-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, mine was last year around May I think. A new store went into the mall that I work in, and there was about 100 ft of large glass windows. I had to walk past them every day to get to my store and the first time that I looked over and saw my reflection I almost died!!! :fr: I couldn't believe that I had gotten so big. I did not have a scale or a full length mirror at home and I didn't allow pics so I didn't really know what I looked like. It was a real eye opener. :eek: So, June 1st I started WW.:ebike:

Valentine's goal:
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/3;10716;6;0;1/c/210/t/199/s/216/k/74ec/weight.png

Started WW June 1 '05 (long term goal):
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/3;51;125;0;1/c/210/t/125/s/250/k/7196/weight.png

:hug: :goodluck: to everyone!!! You can all do it!!!:cheer: Let's get healthy!!:coach:

TBJ333
01-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I was two pounds shy of obese, and nearly fifty pounds higher than the weight at which I feel the best.

I went from being the skinniest friend to the biggest by far.

I looked at my diet and realized that entire days went by without me eating any fruits or vegetables.

ladypeacek
01-21-2006, 03:42 PM
I think my worst moment was after i had my 3rd baby, a year ago last week. I was at the drs office and had to go pee in a cup and in the stinkin bathroon they had one wall that was just mirror. Sooooo...when i stood up finished i looked over at myself and i swear i didnt leave that bathroom for 20 minutes cuz i was crying at what i saw. Its not like i didnt realize that i had gained weight but i had never reallllly looked at myself, kinda like what you dont see wont kill you. I tried several stupid fad diets over the past year never making it a week, but now that i realized i need a diet that fits me and my life and one i can maintain i think i can do it!!!! By the way...today marks my one week since i started and i am still pumped and excited about this diet...

jas80
01-21-2006, 03:46 PM
i found a pic of myself from 5 years ago when i was 20, and thought i've had enough of this, i know i can get back down and fit into my skinny clothes.

and i used to think i was "fat" at 135. shame on me!

emjayah
01-21-2006, 05:06 PM
I got back from holiday in Australia, and the first thing that hit me was looking at the photos.... and thinking "god i AM fat"...

then I weighed myself to see if i'd lost any weight through all my walking in Australia - and no - i now weighed 105kg!!!!

THAT was the defining moment. After that I swore that I would lose this excess weight - for the good of my heart & health, and also to assist with TTC... I have PCOS, so am hoping that if.. no WHEN I lose the weight, my symptoms aren't going to be as severe

lovebug
01-21-2006, 10:38 PM
i purposely sat on an exercise ball in front of a low mirror. i really really looked at the extra flab around my tummy. i thought to myself "why do i feel that i deserve to look like this?" "i don't wanna be mean to me anymore.":halfempty

Loreebee
01-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Last summer. Trying to go on a ride with my then 8 year old daughter in Dollywood. And, being asked to get off the ride because they could not put the lap bar down.

Sigh.

sunstreeks
01-23-2006, 02:14 AM
I've always been around 180-185lbs from ages 18 to 23. then was able to get down to 170 just before getting pregnant. I had reached 200 the day I gave birth. Most of the weight came off right away but then came in the past year! I had slowly crept up to 194 just six pounds shy of what I was the day I had her. That was just too much of a eye opener..

2 weeks into my "lifestyle change" I've lost 8 pounds and am 1 away from my normal weight.. but not stopping there. Its finally dawned on me that I don't want to be a size 16 anymore and I can do something about it.

stephanie

coley144
01-23-2006, 07:04 AM
I always thought I was huge, and was told I was. I remember being 154 pounds and feeling like I wouldn't get through doors! I got really depressed and ate loads.

Then one day I woke up and I really was fat (302 pounds). Self fulfilling prophesy you see.

So my message is that feeling disgusted with yourself makes you fat. Once you start loving yourself (and ignoring other people's comments as they are bizarre!) its much easier to get thinner.

DeeJae37
01-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Actually I've had several moments in my life, where I know I was FAT, and just didn't choose to do anything about it, but I started feeling sluggish and slow, didn't have any energy, and the fact that my 8 year old daughter one day at church, during Sunday School, she told me that I was fat! I never really thought of myself as "That Big"....and always told myself that I see people everyday that is "Bigger Than Me"...so whatever....All this and the fact that my 14 year old son weighs more than I weighed before I got pregnant with him, makes me wanna barf....before I had him I weighed in at 118 pounds....

LauraB
01-23-2006, 10:00 PM
I was in the hospital for some surgery. I weighed 176. The chart said "obese white female" across the top. I felt hopeless so I gained some weight and pretended I didn't care and I was doomed to be fat. But that's changing now.
Laura

meowee
01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
As I think back on it, there have been quite a few, none of which have really stuck. The most recent, however, happened only a few days ago; after I had already decided I had to "get serious" again; and it has really scared me.

Anyway . . . there I am, down in the basement, just having finished cleaning the kitty litter (a daily event since I have 3 cats), I turned around and tripped over my own shoe, bounced into a wall and ended up flat on the floor. The "moment of truth" however, was when I discovered I could not get up!!!! :sp: :o :( and not because I was hurt, simply because there was too much of me to easily lever off the floor again. Too make a long story a little shorter, it took me about 15 minutes to haul myself back to a standing position. Really frightening experience and one I hope not to repeat. At least the cats found it entertaining. :p

Linds81
01-23-2006, 11:05 PM
I always try to hide my weight under baggy clothing, and big sweaters. It's hard looking at pictures, especially when I'm with my friends because they are all so skinny, and I look like a blimp next to them!

Also, I was trying on bridesmaid's dresses and of course we all knew that the dress sizes are way off, but i couldn't fit in any dresses at the store. None... I could pull some of them up, but they were no way close to being able to do up. I was really embarrased, and finally gave up, just having hte other girls try the dresses on.

Brytax
01-24-2006, 12:56 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/brytax/us12.jpg

This picture, this is the day (oct. 31st) I married my wonderful husband. We planned to get married, then have the wedding in May of 07', so we would both be out of school (one of the gifts we are getting is a trip to Europe so my family there can meet him, and we want a month or two over there to experience everything, this will be my fourth trip and his first). But I got this picture back from the minister and almost died. There he is, looking so cute, and then I have the cankle effect going on (except its my chin blending into my 'other' chin which then blends into my neck). The dress I want to wear for the wedding itself is strapless and body forming, and I can't imagine how I'm supposed to wear this http://www.bridesave.com/images/gowns/af1002m.jpg at the size I am now. I want to be beautiful for him, and for once (for the first time since we've been together), I want him to physically see the person he thinks is so beautiful, as beautiful. And I want to meet that person too.