PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #1  

Default The PCOS Diet Book

Hi - Has anyone bought this book? Is it worth the time and money?
I've heard that some of the items are hard to find in America? Just wondering.
jbhair2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/209/145

I've never heard of this book. I'd like to know about it. Thanks for posting the question, jbhair!!
sunkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #3  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Here is the link! I was looking at it myself....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/000...Fencoding=UTF8
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

nope, never read it however got the Insulin Resistance book. It just tells you to balance out carbs with protien thats all. So with every serving of carbs you need to have protiens..blah blah blah... not really worth it.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/187/140

Hi there. I have the book and it is a waste of money! The things in it are so hard to find and if you do get lucky and find it, you really would not want to eat it. If you would like the book let me know and I will give you my copy for free.
mkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:21 AM   #6  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

mkjohn, I would love to have yours if you don't mind?
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:42 AM   #7  

The PCOS Diet book was written by a Brit (doctor) - that's why you can't find most of the stuff ladies! We eat funny food in the UK (altho I could easliy kill for some most of the time! lol)

It's basically about low carbing which is good for Insulin Resistance, one of the many buggers of PCOS.
HippyHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/187/140

NemesisClaw.....here is my e-mail address. Just let me know where to send the book and I will get it out to you this weekend.

[email protected]
mkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #9  

Cool

Hi

I've just bought this book but it's not easy reading. There's lots of info about why to reduce, fats, carbs etc in your diet, but all I really want is someone to give me an example menu plan that I can follow. Does anyone know of any sites that anything like this?
FatnFrantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #10  

Low carbing is the last thing it's about - in fact, Colette Harris is against it as it's unhealthy for anyone, let alone someone with PCOS, to cut out or drastically reduce an entire food group. She doesn't appear to have time for it at all. She's more charitable about diets like the Zone and the IR Diet would definitely be OK, but basically it's about using holistic remedies, organic food, etc. For those of us in the UK, it's easy to follow as organic food is available in major supermarkets, and herbal remedies on every high street. It may be harder for people abroad.

I used this book in conjunction with others to deal with my PCOS and found it was fantastic. But I was already a convert to alternative therapies and organic eating anyway!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #11  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

Hello, I'm new to this board - have been posting mostly in the 300+ board. I have PCOS and take BCpills along with Spironolactone. I'm sick of all the meds and would appreciate learning about alternative ways to deal with this as I too am a convert of organic foods and alternative medicines (easier in CA than in other places). If any of you have the book and can part with it, I'd love to take it off your hands. I'm happy to give you money for the book and for shipping. Let me know?

Thanks!!!!
ThisGirlsLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 PM   #12  

Hey ladies,

I have been researching carb books and found that the South Beach diet is geared toward PCOS. I am thinking about trying it.
cvgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #13  

I tried SBD and gained 14lb in 3 weeks... I followed it really accurately, too. I got the PCOS book afterwards and that's when I realised low carbing is not the answer. Colette Harris has a new one out, with much more dietary info in, 'The PCOS Protection Plan' - that's even better!
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote